PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Hunter

Onceinawhile
15-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Out with Sauzee surely the best player to wear the green for the last 20 years?

Absolute Stalwart.

If nothing else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idGPlizJaE

First goal celebration I ever copied!

ChilliEater
15-08-2010, 12:59 AM

Absolute Stalwart.

If nothing else...

I was a big fan of Geebsy - but I think that statement might be going a little too far :greengrin

Great tackler, decent in the air, quick and hard as nails. Always gave it his all. It was, IMHO, shameful that he was never capped. I remember a team Roxburgh picked where there were a number of injuries to centre halves and he played a couple of full backs (McKimmie and Boyd IIRC) in the centre of defence. Thats when I knew for certain that Geebsy would never get a game for Scotland. I think it might even have been some contrived friendly between a Scotland A team and a Scotland B team.

Onceinawhile
15-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Sorry,

I mean, Outwith Sauzee and Harper.

Is that better?

340 appearances.

ekhibee
15-08-2010, 02:24 AM
I was at his testimonial, against Coventry. A great occasion, we won 3-2 and Strachan, the manager of Coventry, switched sides at half time and scored a penalty for us. Geebsy was never the most skillful player, but I'll always remember that goal he scored at Tynecastle to break their 21 game unbeaten run.

EVENTUALLY
15-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I was at his testimonial, against Coventry. A great occasion, we won 3-2 and Strachan, the manager of Coventry, switched sides at half time and scored a penalty for us. Geebsy was never the most skillful player, but I'll always remember that goal he scored at Tynecastle to break their 21 game unbeaten run.

Hunter was the main reason Hearts achieved a 22 game unbeaten run. His inability to handle Robbo gave Hearts an advantage before a ball was kicked.
One of the stiffest players to break into a run I've ever seen but his biggest problem was his woeful passing.
Acclaimed as a hero for busting the jinx is a joke as I repeat he was the biggest culprit in that Hibs defence in allowing Hearts and Robbo in particular to get a march on Hibs.

Baldy Foghorn
15-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I always liked Geebsie as a player, and other guys of that era like Milne, Kane etc....... Always gave their all

heretoday
15-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Great Hibs man but not, I fear, a great player by any means.

He suffered from the same problems that have plagued Hibs defenders before and since - a tendency to freeze at vital moments and an inability to turn quickly when required.

stubru59
15-08-2010, 10:00 AM
A decent hard working pro. No more than that.

ekhibee
15-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Hunter was the main reason Hearts achieved a 22 game unbeaten run. His inability to handle Robbo gave Hearts an advantage before a ball was kicked.
One of the stiffest players to break into a run I've ever seen but his biggest problem was his woeful passing.
Acclaimed as a hero for busting the jinx is a joke as I repeat he was the biggest culprit in that Hibs defence in allowing Hearts and Robbo in particular to get a march on Hibs.
Couldn't argue with any of that really, you'll notice I wasn't saying he was a great player, but his testimonial was still great and the goal was important. That said, you're quite right, to acclaim him as a hero is a bit OTT to say the least.

AK86
15-08-2010, 02:18 PM

what a ridiculous statement

lucky
15-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Loved him as a player but he was a piss poor passer of the football. His goal as at Tynie is what he will be remembered for. But best player outwith Sauzee---NO

Sammy7nil
15-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Think it is VERY unfair to blame Gordon for 21 game run. Hibs were very poor during that run not just googs.

Great right back early in his career, full of commitment and energy. Carried that on through out his career not a genius but defo Hibs legend.

I will always have good memories of geebsie and if we had, had a few more like him who was commited and determined as he was the 21 game run would never have happened.

Nailrod
15-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Was driving a taxi in Edinburgh a couple of years back. I was in his cab one day and we started talking about football. He told me he had played for Hibs... Nice guy, we had a good chat.

Violater
15-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Was driving a taxi in Edinburgh a couple of years back. I was in his cab one day and we started talking about football. He told me he had played for Hibs... Nice guy, we had a good chat.

He still drives a cab.

:wink:

DH1875
15-08-2010, 10:18 PM
To say he is the best player bar sauzee over the past 20 years is a bit much. To say he was to blame for the run against the yams is bang out of order.
Was the first derby I ever went to that we actually won and I will never forget that day or the goal so for that he is a legend.

erin go bragh
15-08-2010, 10:27 PM
nearly dropped my drink when i read the opening post[shame on you for comparing hunter with sauzee:grr:
loved his goal at the pbs but cmon

Forza Fred
16-08-2010, 08:54 AM
nearly dropped my drink when i read the opening post[shame on you for comparing hunter with sauzee:grr:
loved his goal at the pbs but cmon

I had the good fortune to be involved a wee bit in his move to Australia when he was released by Hibs.

Top defender and a top bloke.

And yes, I was also fortunate enough to be in the stands at tynecastle when he scored that goal!

Comparisons with Sauzee however, not really relevant as entirely different types of players.

New Corrie
16-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Absolute Stalwart.

If nothing else...

It never ceases to amaze me, how little, some people on here know about football.

NGP
16-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Decent player and decent guy. I met him a few times at the tail end of his career. When he was with Dundee, I spoke to hm after beating the Yams 1-0. 'It doesn't matter who you play for, it is always great to beat them'

Good honest CH.

aberhibsfc
16-08-2010, 10:11 AM
The things Geebsy and Sauzee had in common: played for Hibs, played in defence and loved the club.

Unfortunately is never going to be a legend, however his goal at Tyncastle and a Cup winner buys him some legendary status.

Sure he wasn't a world beater, but I don't think he deserves to be castigated solely for Hearts unbeaten run. He was a member of a team which failed in these derbies.

I'll always fondly remember Hunter and McIntyre in the cup winning season, which should have seen one of them propelled into the Scotland squad of that period. His goal at Tynecastle, I lost my voice and had a thumping headache on the way out.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2010, 10:31 AM
It never ceases to amaze me, how little, some people on here know about football.

That was my initial thought as well.

How anyone who claims to have even a basic grasp of the game of football can class Gordon Hunter as the 2nd best Hibs player of the last 20 years is beyond me.

Decent, committed pro. No more, no less.

Walter
16-08-2010, 10:33 AM
To say he is the best player bar sauzee over the past 20 years is a bit much. To say he was to blame for the run against the yams is bang out of order.
Was the first derby I ever went to that we actually won and I will never forget that day or the goal so for that he is a legend.

I'll never forget that moment; I fell and broke my arm when he scored

The Tubs
16-08-2010, 10:37 AM
As well as that goal at Tynie, he's also been immortalised as the only centre-half to have smeared s****e on a dead rockstar's wife.

Even Sauzee couldnae claim that.

allezsauzee
16-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Legend...one of my hereoes alongside Le God and Erich.