PDA

View Full Version : 4th officals

Brando7
14-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Wot a waste of money by the SFA

Did anyone hear the new rule that the commentators were talking about during the celtic game? The bench must now take the subs board and highlight what players they want to make then pass it to the 4th offical :bitchy:

Apparently to concentrate on matters on the pitch

rant over :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
14-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Wot a waste of money by the SFA

Did anyone hear the new rule that the commentators were talking about during the celtic game? The bench must now take the subs board and highlight what players they want to make then pass it to the 4th offical :bitchy:

Apparently to concentrate on matters on the pitch

rant over :greengrin

I suspect its because the role of the 4th official has been expanded this season. Historically, they were solely there to manage the dug-outs, conduct substitutions and bring the referees attention to violent conduct - other than that they were basically allowed no input to the general management of the match. Now the scope of their involvement has been increased "to assist in the general conduct of the match in accordance with the laws". Which is surely a good thing. Farting about with board numbers for the subs is surely better managed by the benches - it always used to be in the days of number boards.

(Incidentally, the change to the 4th official roles' was suggested by the SFA to FIFA and the IFAB)

marinello59
14-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I suspect its because the role of the 4th official has been expanded this season. Historically, they were solely there to manage the dug-outs, conduct substitutions and bring the referees attention to violent conduct - other than that they were basically allowed no input to the general management of the match. Now the scope of their involvement has been increased "to assist in the general conduct of the match in accordance with the laws". Which is surely a good thing. Farting about with board numbers for the subs is surely better managed by the benches - it always used to be in the days of number boards.

(Incidentally, the change to the 4th official roles' was suggested by the SFA to FIFA and the IFAB)

Spot on. They play an active role now. Managers have also been told that they are no longer there just to listen to their rants.

Onceinawhile
14-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I remember a fourth official got Freddie Arpignon sent off for spitting once in Dundee.

Deserved it to.

Alfred E Newman
14-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Spot on. They play an active role now. Managers have also been told that they are no longer there just to listen to their rants.

Makes you wonder how the game survived without them for over a 100 years.

Twa Cairpets
14-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Makes you wonder how the game survived without them for over a 100 years.

Aye, fair point. I do think they make it better though - speeds up substitutions, for example, and with off the ball stuff having an extra pair of eyes watching from a different perspective cant do any harm, especially now theyve got a bit of clout.