PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Masters (Andy Murray)

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 05:47 PM
In case anyone is interested, I thought I would give some notice that Andy Murray is playing tonight against Rafael Nadal in the semi finals of the Toronto Masters.

The match begins at 8pm (British time) and is a rematch of this year's Wimbledon semi final, which Nadal won in straight sets.

The other semi is between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, which starts at midnight (British time).

Anyone wanting to watch it should tune into Sky Sports 4 from 8pm.

3pm
14-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Go on Andy...

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Good match so far.

Murray's just managed (somehow) to hold his serve and lead 4-3 in the first set. He should really have been broken a couple of minutes ago when Murray hit a second serve that was called in, Nadal chose not to challenge it and hawk-eye suggested that it was actually out.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Murray breaks to go 5-3 up. :thumbsup:

He'll serve for the opening set in a minute.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Three aces in a row then a double fault. :grr:

However he takes the game and the first set in the next point. :thumbsup:

Go Andy!

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Murray breaks to go 2-1 up in the second set.

Very impressive performance so far. :top marks

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Nadal breaks back to level things up at 3-3. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Big hold for Murray as he comes back from 15-40 down to level at 4-4.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Murray breaks to lead 5-4 in the second set.

He'll now serve for the match and a place in tomorrow's final.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Game, set and match Murray. :thumbsup:

6-3 6-4.

I think that, on the whole, that was a very impressive performance by Murray and that should give him a lot of confidence going into the US Open.

He'll now play either Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic in tomorrow's final.

Ernie Cobra
14-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Well done in dispatching Nadal in such style!!! Lets hope its a wee omen for all Hibees!!! GGTTH:thumbsup:

RoYO!
14-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Fantastic news, well done andy!

Drummer
14-08-2010, 09:10 PM
He is in the final of the Rogers Cup in Toronto, beat nadal in semi. staight sets

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Great performance by Murray, as you say, FH. He now really has to show he has the stamina and self-belief to turn it on in a Grand Slam and take one of those elusive prizes. If he can get one, I'm sure more will follow.

iwasthere1972
14-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Game, set and match Murray. :thumbsup:

6-3 6-4.

I think that, on the whole, that was a very impressive performance by Murray and that should give him a lot of confidence going into the US Open.

He'll now play either Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic in tomorrow's final.

Great news. Forgot Murray was playing tonight and to be completely honest I thought Nadal would probably beat him. He's more than capable of beating Federer so fingers crossed.

Is he defending champion?

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Great performance by Murray, as you say, FH. He now really has to show he has the stamina and self-belief to turn it on in a Grand Slam and take one of those elusive prizes. If he can get one, I'm sure more will follow.

At last, a reply. I thought I was just talking to myself! :greengrin

I think there's no doubt that he has the stamina and self-belief to win a Grand Slam. He is widely regarded as one of the fittest players on the tour and I think he believes that he can win a Major one day.

I think that the biggest issue is with his lack of experience on the big occasion. Nadal and Federer both know what it takes to win a Grand Slam and know how to play the big points. Murray hasn't quite reached that level yet. It's also quite different to playing best-of-three set matches in the Masters events to then playing best-of-five set matches at the Grand Slams. It's not easy to beat Nadal and Federer over five sets, particularly when, like Murray, you're always meeting them at the business end of Grand Slams.

Apart from each other, only five players have beaten Nadal and/or Federer in a Grand Slam semi final or final (Marat Safin, Novak Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Andy Murray and Juan Martin Del Potro). The fact that Murray has managed to defeat one of them at that stage of a Grand Slam is encouraging.

The US Open probably provides Murray with the best chance of winning a Grand Slam and I think he is capable of doing it. Despite the fact that he appears to be losing his air of invincibility, I believe that Roger Federer remains the biggest obstacle in the way for Murray. If he is on the top of his game, I don't really think that there is anyone else who should really cause Murray too many problems at the US Open, and I would probably include Nadal in that.

The main thing for Federer is that he will be determined to regain his US Open title, which he lost last year after losing to Del Potro in the final.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Great news. Forgot Murray was playing tonight and to be completely honest I thought Nadal would probably beat him. He's more than capable of beating Federer so fingers crossed.

Is he defending champion?

Yep, Murray beat Del Potro in last year's final.

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2010, 09:44 AM
At last, a reply. I thought I was just talking to myself! :greengrin

I think there's no doubt that he has the stamina and self-belief to win a Grand Slam. He is widely regarded as one of the fittest players on the tour and I think he believes that he can win a Major one day.

I think that the biggest issue is with his lack of experience on the big occasion. Nadal and Federer both know what it takes to win a Grand Slam and know how to play the big points. Murray hasn't quite reached that level yet. It's also quite different to playing best-of-three set matches in the Masters events to then playing best-of-five set matches at the Grand Slams. It's not easy to beat Nadal and Federer over five sets, particularly when, like Murray, you're always meeting them at the business end of Grand Slams.

Apart from each other, only five players have beaten Nadal and/or Federer in a Grand Slam semi final or final (Marat Safin, Novak Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Andy Murray and Juan Martin Del Potro). The fact that Murray has managed to defeat one of them at that stage of a Grand Slam is encouraging.

The US Open probably provides Murray with the best chance of winning a Grand Slam and I think he is capable of doing it. Despite the fact that he appears to be losing his air of invincibility, I believe that Roger Federer remains the biggest obstacle in the way for Murray. If he is on the top of his game, I don't really think that there is anyone else who should really cause Murray too many problems at the US Open, and I would probably include Nadal in that.

The main thing for Federer is that he will be determined to regain his US Open title, which he lost last year after losing to Del Potro in the final.

That was really what I was getting at, not expressed particularly well, when I mentioned stamina and self-belief. Maintaining that kind of focus and emotional energy over the best-of-five.

Agree that the US Open has to be Murray's best shot at making that breakthrough. Here's hoping!

H18sry
15-08-2010, 10:00 AM
I thought Andy took the game to Nadal last night and forced the issue's more than he did at Wimbers, maybe he has realized that you have to be aggressive when playing Nadal. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Murray off to a flier 3-0 with 2 breaks of serve. Keep it going Andy!

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-08-2010, 06:42 PM
1-0 Murray (7-5)

newmarket_hibbee
15-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Murray takes the first set 7 - 5 for anyone who is interested

newmarket_hibbee
15-08-2010, 07:14 PM
rain delay

iwasthere1972
15-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Murray serving for the match. :thumbsup: