PDA

View Full Version : O'Connor in Russia

vein
13-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Just watching some Old Firm based football preview guff on GTV where they were discussing McGeady's move to Spartak.

Token blonde bird comes out with something along the lines of "Will he (McGeady) look at Gary O'Connors time in Russia which proved to be unsuccesful"

Now it wasnt all that long ago that he was playing in Russia and from what I remember he was relatively successful, scoring quite a few goals and with the highlight of his time there being the winning goal in a cup final. He then earned another big money move to Birmingham. I would hardly call his time unsuccessful anyway.

So was the token blonde talking as much rubbish as I thought she was??:confused::confused:

Biggie
13-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Just watching some Old Firm based football preview guff on GTV where they were discussing McGeady's move to Spartak.

Token blonde bird comes out with something along the lines of "Will he (McGeady) look at Gary O'Connors time in Russia which proved to be unsuccesful"

Now it wasnt all that long ago that he was playing in Russia and from what I remember he was relatively successful, scoring quite a few goals and with the highlight of his time there being the winning goal in a cup final. He then earned another big money move to Birmingham. I would hardly call his time unsuccessful anyway.

So was the token blonde talking as much rubbish as I thought she was??:confused::confused:

yeah, heard that too...I think scoring the winner in the cup final constitutes a successful spell in Russia....token blonde easy on the eye, so I'll let her off :wink:

ScottB
13-08-2010, 10:16 PM

In the sense of no non Old Firm player ever being able to have a better move than an Old Firm player, then yes, it was unsuccessful.

From what I recall O'Connor was pretty highly thought of in Russia, and it was him not settling out there that saw him move back to the UK. I would expect to see McGeady back in Britain within that timeframe also, success or otherwise.

Winston Ingram
13-08-2010, 10:36 PM
In the sense of no non Old Firm player ever being able to have a better move than an Old Firm player, then yes, it was unsuccessful.

From what I recall O'Connor was pretty highly thought of in Russia, and it was him not settling out there that saw him move back to the UK. I would expect to see McGeady back in Britain within that timeframe also, success or otherwise.

:agree:

madabouthibs
13-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I would have said that, in relation to his football over there, GoC was pretty sucessful. :agree:
McGeady will hopefully fall flat on his chops. :greengrin

(((Fergus)))
14-08-2010, 12:30 AM
GoC scored a fair amount of goals, got a cup winners medal and a lada-load of cash, however he did not start many of those games and he did not settle in Russia.

Cool_Hand_Luke
14-08-2010, 12:40 AM

:agree:

Cant see that happening. The Russians have paid in the region of 9.5m for him...for him to move on from there in that sort of timescale someone is going to have to come in with a bigger offer than what they paid for him (as per Garry O)...and cant see any club in Britain coming in with an offer anywhere near that. The Russians wont let him go cheap :agree:
McGeady :bye: :greengrin

ScottB
14-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Cant see that happening. The Russians have paid in the region of 9.5m for him...for him to move on from there in that sort of timescale someone is going to have to come in with a bigger offer than what they paid for him (as per Garry O)...and cant see any club in Britain coming in with an offer anywhere near that. The Russians wont let him go cheap :agree:
McGeady :bye: :greengrin

If he does well there's plenty Premiership clubs that wouldn't baulk at paying £10 million plus for a player. If he is mince and / or doesn't settle then they will need to cut their losses sooner or later, I'm sure he will be on a significant wedge a week, certainly too much to pay a guy not to play for 4 years or however long his deal is.