PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray article

Stevie Reid
13-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Hits the nail on the head here, imo: -

Hibernian defender Ian Murray says the club needs to shed a "crisis mentality" to fulfil its potential.

Murray is targeting third place in the Scottish Premier League this season, but says last term's fourth place was far from a disgrace.

"Everybody thinks we've underachieved but we finished sixth the season before," said Murray.
"There always seems to be a bit of doubt at Hibs. The minute something goes wrong there's a big panic."

Hibs could only win three of their final 16 matches in the league last season, but their impressive first five months meant they held on to claim fourth place.
And Murray says if that goes down as an unimpressive season then Hearts had "a terrible season" as did Aberdeen, adding: "So, there's more pressure on them than us this season I feel."

Nonetheless, Murray and his team-mates are determined to go one better than last time round.

"Top six is no longer a target for teams like Hibs and Hearts because - I'm reluctant to say we expect to be there - but we definitely should be there," he explained.
"Outwith that, I'm not going to say it's a disaster because worse things can happen, but it's not going to be good, and we need to be challenging for third."
At Christmas last season, Hibs were only a point behind Celtic and five behind the league leaders Rangers, as talk of splitting the Old Firm increased.
But Murray says such thoughts are also unhelpful and unrealistic.
"People seem to be doubting Rangers a bit at the moment, with the financial problems they're having, but they're still going out and bidding for £3.5m players, something Hibs can't do," he went on.
"So, to break the Old Firm is going to be very difficult - and I know Hibs fans and others will be saying I shouldn't be talking like that. It's just realistic.
"Around Christmas time we said we could break the Old Firm and look what happened. Kevin Thomson said they'd be 14 or 15 points ahead and I think it might have been more than that in the end. He was right and he got crucified at the time for saying it.
"But we just need to keep hanging in there - I'm sure one day it'll happen."

Murray will be suspended for Hibs' opening game of the campaign at Motherwell on Sunday.

cockneymike
13-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Hits the nail on the head here, imo: -

Hibernian defender Ian Murray says the club needs to shed a "crisis mentality" to fulfil its potential.

Murray is targeting third place in the Scottish Premier League this season, but says last term's fourth place was far from a disgrace.

"Everybody thinks we've underachieved but we finished sixth the season before," said Murray.
"There always seems to be a bit of doubt at Hibs. The minute something goes wrong there's a big panic."

Hibs could only win three of their final 16 matches in the league last season, but their impressive first five months meant they held on to claim fourth place.
And Murray says if that goes down as an unimpressive season then Hearts had "a terrible season" as did Aberdeen, adding: "So, there's more pressure on them than us this season I feel."

Nonetheless, Murray and his team-mates are determined to go one better than last time round.

"Top six is no longer a target for teams like Hibs and Hearts because - I'm reluctant to say we expect to be there - but we definitely should be there," he explained.
"Outwith that, I'm not going to say it's a disaster because worse things can happen, but it's not going to be good, and we need to be challenging for third."
At Christmas last season, Hibs were only a point behind Celtic and five behind the league leaders Rangers, as talk of splitting the Old Firm increased.
But Murray says such thoughts are also unhelpful and unrealistic.
"People seem to be doubting Rangers a bit at the moment, with the financial problems they're having, but they're still going out and bidding for £3.5m players, something Hibs can't do," he went on.
"So, to break the Old Firm is going to be very difficult - and I know Hibs fans and others will be saying I shouldn't be talking like that. It's just realistic.
"Around Christmas time we said we could break the Old Firm and look what happened. Kevin Thomson said they'd be 14 or 15 points ahead and I think it might have been more than that in the end. He was right and he got crucified at the time for saying it.
"But we just need to keep hanging in there - I'm sure one day it'll happen."

Murray will be suspended for Hibs' opening game of the campaign at Motherwell on Sunday.

:top marks Totally agree: 3rd = a really good season, 4= good season, 5th = ok, 6th= disappointing, but in the context of the last 10 years, pretty average.

Although the tone which we say these things will be largely driven by the quality of the performances that get these restults.

Diclonius
13-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I've said time and time again that for a club of Hibs' size and stature, anything less than 5th is a failure.

We have far more resources, funds, fans and catchment area than all but four clubs in Scotland but time and time again these teams, such as Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Kilmarnock finish above us. Why? Because our fans accept this and would rather have a good moan than be positive and support the team.

I'm no stranger to this myself. It's an ingrained mentality that every Hibs fan, player and administrator has and it's sickening.

If we could actually get that bloody cup out of the way then it might change.

PeterboroHibee
13-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I havent seen too many people complaining about where we finished last season.

Think most of the worry has been about how weve been playing for around 6 months, the fact we cant defend and the lack of certain signings is what most fans have shown concern about. Strange article imo.

Elephant Stone
13-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Finishing 4th would have been fine if we'd been performing consistently all season, instead we spent the second half of the season in complete free fall - which wasn't fine at all.

Keith_M
13-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Think most of the worry has been about how weve been playing for around 6 months, the fact we cant defend and the lack of certain signings is what most fans have shown concern about. Strange article imo.

:agree:

It was an achievement to finish fourth but the current form of the team is one of 2 competitive wins in three months of football, so that's why fans are quite rightly concerned. The final third of the season was nothing less than a collapse and many people, including myself, will continue to be nervous until we see evidence that there's a definite upturn in form.

Over to you Ian, et al.

Andy74
13-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Since when has mid February to mid May been six months??

RIP
13-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Ian has gone on record by saying how big a part he thinks we supporters play in the team success. I think as a support we sometimes show a lot of anxiety and fear and this transmits to the players.

One example of this is when we go a goal down. Back in the day this would have triggered a chant of "Gerrintaethem!!" or "Hibees"

At recent games I've seen how a lot of heids go down, some folk walk out and others have a spitting fit. Even if the game is still level after 30 minutes you get some shouting abuse at players in green and white or "get it up the park (hoof!!)"

Everyone - players, coaches and supporters should pledge to show a lot more bottle this season.

And yes - that includes me

HFC 0-7
13-08-2010, 03:46 PM
:top marks Totally agree: 3rd = a really good season, 4= good season, 5th = ok, 6th= disappointing, but in the context of the last 10 years, pretty average.

Although the tone which we say these things will be largely driven by the quality of the performances that get these restults.

Although I agree with this you cant be blind to recent performances and results. When things start going bad in whatever business you need to act fast. Hibs had a good start to last season = Fact. Hibs had a bad end to the season = Fact. You can only go by recent results and performances and they have been poor. At what point do you draw a line and say Ok the manager had a good spell but now we are rank under him?

For me a whole half season of Bad performances and results is enough to tell me that a manager isnt up to it. How long can Yogi live of his good first half season?

cockneymike
13-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Although I agree with this you cant be blind to recent performances and results. When things start going bad in whatever business you need to act fast. Hibs had a good start to last season = Fact. Hibs had a bad end to the season = Fact. You can only go by recent results and performances and they have been poor. At what point do you draw a line and say Ok the manager had a good spell but now we are rank under him?

For me a whole half season of Bad performances and results is enough to tell me that a manager isnt up to it. How long can Yogi live of his good first half season?

To be honest - I'm not sure. I'm naturally quite conservative about sacking managers, as I think that in many instances you don't get a whole lot of change beyond a fillip that lasts for 4-10 games (perhaps Yogi's 1st half season was just an extended version of this? I'm not sure) and it costs a lot of money to do it. Pay off management and coaching contracts, sign new players, pay off unwanted players etc.

So my instinct is that it's not quite time yet to get rid of Yogi. I actually think that the first half of last season was good enough to warrant at least another half of this. Although one of the most important players will be out for all of that period - Zemamma - and I think that he is crucial to our success as we don't have anyone like him. Maybe that's why Yogi is so keen on Gow - perhaps he sees Gow playing in a similar type of role, although i'd be surprised if he could reach the same level of influence.

HFC 0-7
13-08-2010, 04:51 PM
To be honest - I'm not sure. I'm naturally quite conservative about sacking managers, as I think that in many instances you don't get a whole lot of change beyond a fillip that lasts for 4-10 games (perhaps Yogi's 1st half season was just an extended version of this? I'm not sure) and it costs a lot of money to do it. Pay off management and coaching contracts, sign new players, pay off unwanted players etc.

So my instinct is that it's not quite time yet to get rid of Yogi. I actually think that the first half of last season was good enough to warrant at least another half of this. Although one of the most important players will be out for all of that period - Zemamma - and I think that he is crucial to our success as we don't have anyone like him. Maybe that's why Yogi is so keen on Gow - perhaps he sees Gow playing in a similar type of role, although i'd be surprised if he could reach the same level of influence.

I see your points but I think its too risky with yogi at the helm just now, if continues in the same form as the second half of last season we will struggle. I still think Yogi hasnt addressed the issues with certain positions and lets players go when others havent been lined up. We are seriously lacking in defence, CB is a nightmare and if Bamba goes we will be struggling big time with no back up. Murray in left back is finished in that position he is too slow and we have no one in there to back him up. Yogi's philosophy on football is good but he doesnt seem to be able to see his own teams ability and play to their strengths.

Before we were knocked out of europe we would have been attractive to potential signings. We got humped in europe and only really had one pre season result to get excited about. If hughes stays till christmas we could be out of every competition, attendances will drop again and income will be down.

I dont buy this give him a chance stuff. He has had a whole season and unfortunately the recent part of that season was terrible, maybe the worst that I can remember. That is the most worrying thing for me, how a team can be competing for half a season then fall so much off the pace with the manager having no effect in restoring confidence, structure and at time commitment.

In regards to the article a player at Hibs was always going to come out and say this. Murray has come out and said it when he is probably needing to defend his own ability at the moment. He also tries to cover his back at times by saying hibs no longer target top six as its expected for hibs but then goes on to say if we dont then its not a disaster. Well IMO its a disaster, the gate returns for failing to get in the top six must be very low.

Murray wants us to shed the crisis mentality, I think every Hibs fan would if we are just consitently good through a season.

Unfortunately I think there will be a crisis meeting this season at some point and it will be the board discussing Yogi. Positions still not filled properly or with back up, players playing out of position, players not performing and a generally small squad of players I think this season is going to be one to forget.

jabis
13-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I've said time and time again that for a club of Hibs' size and stature, anything less than 5th is a failure.

We have far more resources, funds, fans and catchment area than all but four clubs in Scotland but time and time again these teams, such as Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Kilmarnock finish above us. Why? Because our fans accept this and would rather have a good moan than be positive and support the team.

I'm no stranger to this myself. It's an ingrained mentality that every Hibs fan, player and administrator has and it's sickening.
If we could actually get that bloody cup out of the way then it might change.

your either wrong with that statement,or claiming I'm not a Hibs fan 'cos I support the team :confused:

PISTOL1875
13-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I see your points but I think its too risky with yogi at the helm just now, if continues in the same form as the second half of last season we will struggle. I still think Yogi hasnt addressed the issues with certain positions and lets players go when others havent been lined up. We are seriously lacking in defence, CB is a nightmare and if Bamba goes we will be struggling big time with no back up. Murray in left back is finished in that position he is too slow and we have no one in there to back him up. Yogi's philosophy on football is good but he doesnt seem to be able to see his own teams ability and play to their strengths.

Before we were knocked out of europe we would have been attractive to potential signings. We got humped in europe and only really had one pre season result to get excited about. If hughes stays till christmas we could be out of every competition, attendances will drop again and income will be down.

I dont buy this give him a chance stuff. He has had a whole season and unfortunately the recent part of that season was terrible, maybe the worst that I can remember. That is the most worrying thing for me, how a team can be competing for half a season then fall so much off the pace with the manager having no effect in restoring confidence, structure and at time commitment.

In regards to the article a player at Hibs was always going to come out and say this. Murray has come out and said it when he is probably needing to defend his own ability at the moment. He also tries to cover his back at times by saying hibs no longer target top six as its expected for hibs but then goes on to say if we dont then its not a disaster. Well IMO its a disaster, the gate returns for failing to get in the top six must be very low.

Murray wants us to shed the crisis mentality, I think every Hibs fan would if we are just consitently good through a season.

Unfortunately I think there will be a crisis meeting this season at some point and it will be the board discussing Yogi. Positions still not filled properly or with back up, players playing out of position, players not performing and a generally small squad of players I think this season is going to be one to forget.

What's wrong with Paul Hanlon ???

Beefster
13-08-2010, 07:24 PM
It's pointless for players or staff to moan about a 'crisis mentality' when they've only won 3 of the last competitive 20 games and shipped 2 or more goals in 13 of those games.

HFC 0-7
13-08-2010, 10:49 PM
What's wrong with Paul Hanlon ???

Yeah cause we will see him making pacey runs up the left flank!:rolleyes:

Prawn Sandwich
15-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll bet Murray was please he wasn't playing against Humphrey today. Humphrey was a handful for Hanlon and I would think Murray would have been skinned several times by him today.