PDA

View Full Version : NHC Southampton owner dies

Stevie Reid
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
What would happen to the Yams if Romanov befell the same fate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8906588.stm

CropleyWasGod
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
What would happen to the Yams if Romanov befell the same fate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8906588.stm

Ignoring the poor taste.... his assets would fall to his Estate, probably his family.

Stevie Reid
12-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Ignoring the poor taste.... his assets would fall to his Estate, probably his family.

Forgive me, I truly didn't mean it to be in poor taste - was a genuine question.

This was obviously completely unexpected for Southampton, but I noted that the future of the club wasn't in question at all.

CropleyWasGod
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Forgive me, I truly didn't mean it to be in poor taste - was a genuine question.

This was obviously completely unexpected for Southampton, but I noted that the future of the club wasn't in question at all.

Forgiven, my son... :wink:

Fair question, though. As long as the Estate wasn't messy, and that creditors didn't come out of the woodwork and claim previously unknown debts, then the family's inheritance should be protected.

Romanov's estate wouldn't be messy, would it? :devil:

Stevie Reid
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Forgiven, my son... :wink:

Fair question, though. As long as the Estate wasn't messy, and that creditors didn't come out of the woodwork and claim previously unknown debts, then the family's inheritance should be protected.

Romanov's estate wouldn't be messy, would it? :devil:

Cheers!

On the surface I would've thought that someone dying within a year of saving a club from adminstration may have proved problematic, but as I said there is no mention in the article, so I presume everything is in order.

I'm sure everything is in order at Tynie too. Along with everything else.

LancashireHibby
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I think it'd only be fair that we ask the same question of STF, though undoubtedly we'd be in a better position than a Romanov-less Yams...

Stevie Reid
12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I think it'd only be fair that we ask the same question of STF, though undoubtedly we'd be in a better position than a Romanov-less Yams...

Fair point. Just thought there were parallels between where Southampton have just come from, and where Hearts may end up.

Hibs Class
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Gretna might also be an interesting comparison where, after Brooks Mileson had funded their promotion up the leagues (and their joint Scottish Cup win :wink:) support was withdrawn, supposedly to a large degree because of his family not wanting their inheritance squandered on the club

marinello59
12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Gretna might also be an interesting comparison where, after Brooks Mileson had funded their promotion up the leagues (and their joint Scottish Cup win :wink:) support was withdrawn, supposedly to a large degree because of his family not wanting their inheritance squandered on the club

Sadly there wasn't any inheritance. Mileson was broke when he died.

Caversham Green
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM

The difference is that Hibs are a self-sufficient business. That means that the club is worth more as a going concern than if it were broken up. STF's shares would be bequeathed in whatever way his Will dictates and the beneficiary could then keep them or sell them as he/she wishes. None of this would in itself have any effect on the operations of the club.

In the Yams case, the shares are worthless as an investment and would only produce some value from the dissolution of the club and the sale of Tynie. Furthermore Vlad appears to be pouring money into the club to keep it alive. Unless his beneficiary was to continue to do that, funds would dry up. It's very difficult to see how they could continue in those circumstances.

Stevie Reid
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
The difference is that Hibs are a self-sufficient business. That means that the club is worth more as a going concern than if it were broken up. STF's shares would be bequeathed in whatever way his Will dictates and the beneficiary could then keep them or sell them as he/she wishes. None of this would in itself have any effect on the operations of the club.

In the Yams case, the shares are worthless as an investment and would only produce some value from the dissolution of the club and the sale of Tynie. Furthermore Vlad appears to be pouring money into the club to keep it alive. Unless his beneficiary was to continue to do that, funds would dry up. It's very difficult to see how they could continue in those circumstances.

Cheers Caversham, I very much hoped that you would furnish us with an answer :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Are we completely self-sufficient? I'm not sure we are as, in my mind, that would mean STF wouldn't have to put a single penny in to the club. As soon as we're receiving such 'donations' then I wouldn't necessarily say that we are truly self-sufficient.

Caversham Green
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Are we completely self-sufficient? I'm not sure we are as, in my mind, that would mean STF wouldn't have to put a single penny in to the club. As soon as we're receiving such 'donations' then I wouldn't necessarily say that we are truly self-sufficient.

STF put money into the club in two ways - loans and the purchase of new shares in the club. The loans have all been repaid or written off, so the club owes him nothing in financial terms. The shares represent ownership of the club and the only way he or his estate would get money for them would be from a third party buying them. The club is not currently receiving any donations from STF.

LancashireHibby
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
STF put money into the club in two ways - loans and the purchase of new shares in the club. The loans have all been repaid or written off, so the club owes him nothing in financial terms. The shares represent ownership of the club and the only way he or his estate would get money for them would be from a third party buying them. The club is not currently receiving any donations from STF.

In that case, I bow to your superior knowledge, nice one. :thumbsup:

Hibs On Tour
12-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Think the last thing STF did directly wasn't even to give cash - it was to guarantee the club's loan taken out from the bank to pay for the new stands back in the day...?

We're pretty clear of needing direct 'sugar daddy' input and have been for a while, from what I recall seeing on these boards...

ginger_rice
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Think the last thing STF did directly wasn't even to give cash - it was to guarantee the club's loan taken out from the bank to pay for the new stands back in the day...?

We're pretty clear of needing direct 'sugar daddy' input and have been for a while, from what I recall seeing on these boards...

Did STF not also underwrite the original debt that we once had? Or did I just imagine that.

It's an interesting scenario though, if Romanov was to pop his clogs, I would imagine that mini-me would be next in line, but would he have the same interest in running a potential champions league winning club :greengrin

Jamesie
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM

As far as I am aware the question was asked to STF himself at one of these "Fans Forums" things a couple of years ago. I wasn't there, but I understand the gist of the answer was that Hibs would be well taken care of...