PDA

View Full Version : Yams Capacity of Asbo Stand at the PBS

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Serious question. Does anyone know how many Jambos we can reasonably expect to be tragically incinerated in that death trap over the next eighteen months or so?

Mikey
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Not enough :greengrin

That stand won't burn down when there are people in it. It'll mysteriously go up in flames in the middle of the night!

lapsedhibee
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Serious question. Does anyone know how many Jambos we can reasonably expect to be tragically incinerated in that death trap over the next eighteen months or so?

Says at the bottom of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6954606.stm) that capacity's 4.5k. And it's full every week, so 4.5k would perish. Are you expecting Kyle to light up the atmospheric stadium with a goal in the next eighteen months? :dunno:

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Says at the bottom of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6954606.stm) that capacity's 4.5k. And it's full every week, so 4.5k would perish. Are you expecting Kyle to light up the atmospheric stadium with a goal in the next eighteen months? :dunno:

I think they are once again playing the big team numbers game in their heads. You couldn't fit 4,500 of the Wee-est most Airdrie-est Jambos into that death trap, though it might be worth a shot.

That would make it 75% of the capacity of the new East. They really are having the proverbial laugh.

I notice it was built in 1914, presumably for the WW1 campaign?

Hillsidehibby
12-08-2010, 08:50 AM
There wont be any incinerated as it is constructed with 100% blue Asbestos.

I would imagine a few will die of asbestosis soon as the symptoms take decades to come to light.

Also with the unreliability of mustard gas and howitzer shells which are stockpiled under the stand incase they have to win the war against the Taliban, I would imagine a few may not see out the season.

degenerated
12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
i seem to remember reading, a number of years ago, that structural engineers were concerned with the corrosion of the steel beams that hold up the asbestos roof. Did they ever get that sorted or did it go the way of their champions league win, the new stand and the glorious return of paul hartley.

CMac1988
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/dangerous.htm

Expect that estimate to jump up a little... :wink:

Sergey
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
After a quick browse on the net, I'd like to suggest that Scotland adopt Tynecastle as our national stadium.

I noticed that the national side have played at Tynecastle on 9 occasions, and have the impressive record of only losing twice. Now it may be the narrow pitch that the opponents find disconcerting, or perhaps it's the antiquated dressing rooms (hot water guaranteed when boiler is repaired) or maybe it's the racist abuse and banana throwing towards any opposition players who happen to be coloured that swings the balance.

The SFA should sit up, take note and look at the facts. Playing our national matches in such an arena could well be the pivotal turning point that sees us break out of our current footballing malaise.

Andy74
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Are threads about how many fans would be incinerated in a fire not best left to the likes of Kickback? I realise it's tongue in cheek but we'd rightly suggest that this sort of thing was the lowest of the low if it appeared over the road.

Cabbage East
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Is it true that the stand was built to commemorate Hearts' 1st world war victory?

Sandy
12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Is it true that the stand was built to commemorate Hearts' 1st world war victory?

:agree: And they built it themselves after marching all the way back.

MacBean
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
:agree: And they built it themselves after marching all the way back.

They were so confident that the victory was coming they built it 1914 before the war had even started

Steve-O
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Does look a bit like a bomb shelter I suppose.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
i seem to remember reading, a number of years ago, that structural engineers were concerned with the corrosion of the steel beams that hold up the asbestos roof. Did they ever get that sorted or did it go the way of their champions league win, the new stand and the glorious return of paul hartley.

Vlad handed them a banana and told them to shut the **** up :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I think they are once again playing the big team numbers game in their heads. You couldn't fit 4,500 of the Wee-est most Airdrie-est Jambos into that death trap, though it might be worth a shot.

That would make it 75% of the capacity of the new East. They really are having the proverbial laugh.

since 1914, since 1914, that sh*teheap has stood there, since 1914.

--------
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
There wont be any incinerated as it is costructed with 100% blue Asbestos.

I would imagine a few will die of asbestosis soon as the symptoms take decades to come to light.

Also with the unreliability of mustard gas and howitzer shells which are stockpiled under the stand incase they have to win the war against the Taliban, I would imagine a few may not see out the season.

Have you ever seen what happens when asbestos is subjected to heat? It shatters, explosively.

I was working on a farm one summer. I arrived one morning to find the boss and his favourite underling (brown-nose job) getting ready to burn rubbish in the stackyard. Neither of them were exactly Mastermind contenders. To prevent sparks from setting fire to the stacks of newly-cut hay surrounding them, they decided to prop sheets of asbestos around the fire. And then stand up close and watch.

The rest of us (the ones with brains) stayed well back to watch the fun.

Once the fire had burned up a bit, the stuff exploded like gunfire, shooting jaggy and extremely sharp shards of asbestos all over the yard. Gaffer and BN diving for cover. Between the shrapnel wounds and the cow**** they'd dived into, we saw no more of either of them all day.

Which suited us just fine. :devil:

Trust me (as Chuck Yong would say) - set fire to the AsboStand, and you'll level half of Gorgie.

And that's without the degraded cordite and poison gas stored in the boot-room. :devil:

Sandy
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
They were so confident that the victory was coming they built it 1914 before the war had even started

Just goes to show how good and dominant they were :agree:

greenginger
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Edinburgh Council has an Asbestos Officer , a Mr Pollock. He has reports on all buildings in the City known to have asbestos and copies can be had via the freedom of infomation act if anyone is interested.:devil:

Big Frank
12-08-2010, 08:44 PM
since 1914, since 1914, that sh*teheap has stood there, since 1914.

Almost what I have had in my head for a few weeks now.....

since 1914, since 1914, you've had a wee stand, since 1914:agree:

Www1875hfc
12-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Found This,thought it was quite funny,see what you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQQhPTuRH4

NAE NOOKIE
12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQQhPTuRH4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQQhPTuRH4[/QUOTE)

How childish was that.

Laughed my erse off :faf:

Wembley67
12-08-2010, 10:09 PM
[/URL]

How childish was that.

Laughed my erse off :faf:

Hahaha, chuffing brilliant!

Cameron1875
12-08-2010, 10:18 PM

:faf:brilliant.

jgl07
13-08-2010, 03:24 PM

The stand was built for a 4,000 capacity. That excludes the seated paddock in front so 4,500 looks near to the mark.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2010, 05:07 PM
The stand was built for a 4,000 capacity. That excludes the seated paddock in front so 4,500 looks near to the mark.

I wonder if a photoshop star could superimpose a scale model of the Asbo stand against the new East? Sounds very fishy to me. I seriously doubt you could get more than 3,000 in there.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Have you ever seen what happens when asbestos is subjected to heat? It shatters, explosively.

I was working on a farm one summer. I arrived one morning to find the boss and his favourite underling (brown-nose job) getting ready to burn rubbish in the stackyard. Neither of them were exactly Mastermind contenders. To prevent sparks from setting fire to the stacks of newly-cut hay surrounding them, they decided to prop sheets of asbestos around the fire. And then stand up close and watch.

The rest of us (the ones with brains) stayed well back to watch the fun.

Once the fire had burned up a bit, the stuff exploded like gunfire, shooting jaggy and extremely sharp shards of asbestos all over the yard. Gaffer and BN diving for cover. Between the shrapnel wounds and the cow**** they'd dived into, we saw no more of either of them all day.

Which suited us just fine. :devil:

Trust me (as Chuck Yong would say) - set fire to the AsboStand, and you'll level half of Gorgie.

And that's without the degraded cordite and poison gas stored in the boot-room. :devil:
:hmmm:

Badge
13-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Superb. :top marks

Baker9
14-08-2010, 07:37 AM

I cannot believe this thread has been allowed. With good friends and their families who frequent that stand I am deeply upset that such a thread should appear. No smiley - no kidding - just deeply disappointed.

oneone73
14-08-2010, 08:14 AM
I cannot believe this thread has been allowed. With good friends and their families who frequent that stand I am deeply upset that such a thread should appear. No smiley - no kidding - just deeply disappointed.

Couldn't agree more. Terrible thread.

Baker9
14-08-2010, 09:05 AM

I have formally requested its removal from the site.

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Good for you. If you think it would give me any pleasure if something were to happen in that death trap of a stand, you're very much mistaken. Fair weather Yams from my own family are to be found in it on a semi-regular basis. I was in that mess at the St Johnstone semi and with it's poor egress, cramped stairs, wooden structure, it's clearly unfit for the purpose, and its a major scandal that this structure is still awarded a safety certificate.

If you care that much about the possibllity of people being injured, then I suggest you use your powers of moral outrage to address that issue with Hearts, the council, and he health and safety executive, instead of the soft target of a blithe, if crassly-worded post on a fans message board.

hibee_nation
14-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm :furious: about this thread. :greengrin

Www1875hfc
14-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I have formally requested this thread to stay.
No yams were injured whilst typing this comment.:greengrin

pity.

hibee_nation
14-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Sorry this option is only open to Private Members. :devil:

whiskyhibby
14-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Sorry which stand are you referring to..................On most match days at least 3 of the stands could be deemed 'Asbo' stands??

:lolyam::monkey1:

Baker9
14-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Good for you. If you think it would give me any pleasure if something were to happen in that death trap of a stand, you're very much mistaken. Fair weather Yams from my own family are to be found in it on a semi-regular basis. I was in that mess at the St Johnstone semi and with it's poor egress, cramped stairs, wooden structure, it's clearly unfit for the purpose, and its a major scandal that this structure is still awarded a safety certificate.

If you care that much about the possibllity of people being injured, then I suggest you use your powers of moral outrage to address that issue with Hearts, the council, and he health and safety executive, instead of the soft target of a blithe, if crassly-worded post on a fans message board.

I feel no moral outrage towards Hearts, neither do I consider you a soft target. Having read most of your posts over the years I had positioned you as someone with a decent level of intellect. You have let yourself, this site, and decent Hibs fans everywhere, down badly. That also applies to anyone who jumped on the bandwagon and found it in any way amusing.

My email to the admin. team read:

That outrageous post about burning 4,500 people should be removed
instantly. I hope nobody in Bradford reads it. In 10 years or so
reading hibs.net I have never been so angry.

The site administrators did not remove it and have written to me as follows:

"Having read that thread it appears that the opening poster is poking
fun at the structure rather than wishing for anybody to be burned.
If there is a particular post in there which you do find grossly
offensive then please use the report post function. (It is the
quickest way to get the admin teams attention.)"

I have no doubt that you didn't mean for 4500 hearts fans to be incinerated. But you should stop taking whatever you were on when you wrote it. Sartorial elegance? Savoir-faire? Not this time. I'm off to use the 'report post function'.

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I feel no moral outrage towards Hearts, neither do I consider you a soft target. Having read most of your posts over the years I had positioned you as someone with a decent level of intellect. You have let yourself, this site, and decent Hibs fans everywhere, down badly. That also applies to anyone who jumped on the bandwagon and found it in any way amusing.

My email to the admin. team read:

That outrageous post about burning 4,500 people should be removed
instantly. I hope nobody in Bradford reads it. In 10 years or so
reading hibs.net I have never been so angry.

The site administrators did not remove it and have written to me as follows:

"Having read that thread it appears that the opening poster is poking
fun at the structure rather than wishing for anybody to be burned.
If there is a particular post in there which you do find grossly
offensive then please use the report post function. (It is the
quickest way to get the admin teams attention.)"

I have no doubt that you didn't mean for 4500 hearts fans to be incinerated. But you should stop taking whatever you were on when you wrote it. Sartorial elegance? Savoir-faire? Not this time. I'm off to use the 'report post function'.

If you have no doubt that I didn't mean for people be incinerated, why get so het about the post?

The last thing i was thinking about was Bradford when I posted that. If I considered everything I put down on a football supporters website in terms of everything bad that had happened in the world, I doubt I or anyone else would post much of interest on it.

Ironically, I'm the sort of person who finds the Wallace Mercer songs in very bad taste, but to get so outraged as something so abstract and obviously flippant, is absolute nonsense in my view.

One skin too few for this world methinks.

Borders Hibby
14-08-2010, 04:11 PM

I agree.:agree:

marinello59
14-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Thread closed.