Speedway
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/No-new-faces-for-the.6468366.jp

No real surprise here.

Betty Boop
11-08-2010, 10:52 AM

No real surprise here.

Does that mean nobody will be leaving then?

Matty_Jack04
11-08-2010, 10:55 AM

No real surprise here.

Not suprised at all really but im sick of hearing this shuffling the pack rubbish, what does it actually mean?

Im of the beleiving that a youngster should be given the oppertunity before we go off signing unknown players from England or abroad, so hopefully we'll see a couple of young lads given the opppertunity in midfeild (just hope there taller than 5'2)

:notworthy:

Mikey
11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
No signings before Sunday.

It doesn't say anything about no signings before the window closes.

Speedway
11-08-2010, 11:03 AM

True Mikey, but it does suggest the possibility of a one out before one in, policy.

RSS Bot
11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Hibs boss John Hughes today admitted he's unlikely to sign any more new players ahead of Sunday's first SPL clash of the season against Motherwell even although he bel

More... (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/No-new-faces-for-the.6468366.jp)

hibsbollah
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Our two glaring deficiencies; the lack of a natural leader at the back, and real pace up front, havent been addressed in the offseason. Even though Hart and De Graaf are an improvement in their positions and look fine, im afraid its been a disappointing summer for transfers.

And getting rid of Benji only made sense if there was someone better being lined up. No sign as yet.

cockneymike
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
The thing that gives me hope - in terms of transfers - is that last year both Stokes and Miller were signed late. I think that a lot will still happen once the season gets under way.

I only hope that if someone is to leave - Bamba, Riordan, Stokes (and i hope neither of the latter two do) that Yogi has someone lined to sign to replace him.

Gow in, if Bamba leaves would not be the answer!

TRC
11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Did he not say this last year but eventually we signed someone else? I'm pretty sure it was one of the bigger names we signed aswell

Craig_in_Prague
11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm happy enough with what have we just now, BUT for the 1st couple of months...
As last season, when pitches are worse, when it's colder + injuries/suspensions etc, I can't see how this defence and in particular our midfield will stop us being pushovers again, and also at the back we're plain pish at defending simple balls lumped into the box, corners, crosses, free kicks, we can't seem to defend.

Can see us haven a similar season to last season, in that we could well start off good, but we'll see a few miserable performances and humpings from Nov/Dec onwards.

down the slope
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
The article also mentions that Zemmama will be out till Christmas !.

cockneymike
11-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm happy enough with what have we just now, BUT for the 1st couple of months...
As last season, when pitches are worse, when it's colder + injuries/suspensions etc, I can't see how this defence and in particular our midfield will stop us being pushovers again, and also at the back we're plain pish at defending simple balls lumped into the box, corners, crosses, free kicks, we can't seem to defend.

Can see us haven a similar season to last season, in that we could well start off good, but we'll see a few miserable performances and humpings from Nov/Dec onwards.

Same as every season since I can remember then! With the exception of the years when we've changed managers, we have rarely ever done better in the 2nd half of the season than we've done in the first.

hibsbollah
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
The article also mentions that Zemmama will be out till Christmas !.

It said 'nearer' Christmas. That could be anytime from mid-October onwards:greengrin
I think he'll be back well before Xmas.

jdships
11-08-2010, 11:25 AM

CORRECT !!
The qoute says
" Hibs boss John Hughes today admitted he's unlikely to sign any more new players ahead of Sunday's first SPL clash of the season against Motherwell "

Why does OP read something into this that isn't there ?
:rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
11-08-2010, 11:29 AM
To be fair, the new signings have added value and we have lost no-one of note, so the team have been invested in following the release of Benji.

I would still hope that we would add one or two more back and front of team, especially the defence.

If we don't bring any more players in, I then find it astonishing that we were actively loanining out players which would provide cover for our existing first team eg Byrne, McCann etc.

Surely Hughes must have been planning adding to the team if he agreed to reduce the number of players available. I think the lack of activity on the Bamba front may be the stumbling block. I would rather he was committed to the club longer term but I don't think this is going to happen. If we were going to lose any of our 'best players' I would rather it was Bamba. But we would desperately need to bring in one or two decent central defenders, not to mention cover for left-back. Sure Hanlon is left footed but I can only envisage him as the left sided player in a central defensive pairing.

MacBean
11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Did he not say this last year but eventually we signed someone else? I'm pretty sure it was one of the bigger names we signed aswell

:agree:
We signed both Stokes and Miller after the first game of the season

Speedway
11-08-2010, 11:33 AM
CORRECT !!
The qoute says
" Hibs boss John Hughes today admitted he's unlikely to sign any more new players ahead of Sunday's first SPL clash of the season against Motherwell "

Where does it say that I did?

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
CORRECT !!
The qoute says

Maybe he is looking at the tone of the sentence? Why would you admit to something that is likely unless you were lead to believe something different? Surely you only admit to things under pressure unless it has always been the case? Seems a bit of a no-story to me.

Stevie Reid
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Yogi flatly denied to Brian McLaughlin that we were interested in Liam Miller in an interview last year, and we signed him the following day. Given that we do not comment on signings until we have all formalities taken care of, if JH was responding to (what would be a completely redundant) question regarding whether he thought anyone would be signed before Saturday, what else is he going to say?

Whilst it looks unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came in before the weekend.

RickyS
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
It said 'nearer' Christmas. That could be anytime from mid-October onwards:greengrin
I think he'll be back well before Xmas.

I was lucky enough to have 5 mins with the wee man in Asda. he had his wee one with him and his missus was spending his money and he looked like we all do when shopping with the wife, fed up and leaning on the trolley:greengrin
I have to say what an excellent wee man he is, he spotted the Hibs coat and smiled so I went over and shook his hand, he said he was aiming to be back for November. Also that there has been no talk of a new contract and that he would like to extend his stay as he is really happy.
He said he missed having Benji around and that he is playing in Egypt but said that he may be back in scotland sooner than we think but widnae expand on it.
Thoroughly decent wee guy!

hibsbollah
11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I was lucky enough to have 5 mins with the wee man in Asda. he had his wee one with him and his missus was spending his money and he looked like we all do when shopping with the wife, fed up and leaning on the trolley:greengrin
I have to say what an excellent wee man he is, he spotted the Hibs coat and smiled so I went over and shook his hand, he said he was aiming to be back for November. Also that there has been no talk of a new contract and that he would like to extend his stay as he is really happy.
He said he missed having Benji around and that he is playing in Egypt but said that he may be back in scotland sooner than we think but widnae expand on it.
Thoroughly decent wee guy!

It must be 'bump-into-zouma' week:greengrin, he was equally pleasant to me last week when i saw him and said the leg was not too bad, although he was favouring it and it looked a bit stiff. he wasnt hobbling or anything.

--------
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Last season we signed Stokes and Miller after the opening game of the season, as HFC_1875 says.

The fact is that the later the window drags on, the better the terms (from the clubs' point of view) unattached or dissatisfied players are likely to accept. There are players available; the only question is whether they're players we want at ER - are they better than the players we already have? Will they be disruptive influences in the squad? Are they prepared to work for the team, or are they just looking for a last pay-day for sitting on the bench? Are they injury-prone?

I hope we see some of the younger players being given their chance in the opening few games - that won't happen if Hughes has filled the squad with new signings just for the sake of it.

Reading some of the Yamboid comments there, I can say that De Graaf isn't a hammer-thrower, Davie Stephens isn't a spotty kid (maybe the plook should tell him that to his face?), and Michael Hart's an experienced full-back with a decent pedigree. If Bamba does in fact stay on even to Christmas, the pressure on us to sign a centre-half eases a lot.

Of course we want more, better, players. Zouma will be back before Christmas, as I understand the article, and while we apparently won't have anyone else in before Sunday - though Yogi could be lying in his big buck teeth on that one - we may still do another deal or two before the window closes.

This year's been a fairly dramatic and unsettling year so far - it must be like playing in a completely new stadium right now for the players; I think I'll wait at least until half-time on Sunday before I panic or start moaning at Yogi or the team.

That's half-an-hour longer than I gave them last year... :rolleyes:

RickyS
11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
It must be 'bump-into-zouma' week:greengrin, he was equally pleasant to me last week when i saw him and said the leg was not too bad, although he was favouring it and it looked a bit stiff. he wasnt hobbling or anything.

ive spoken to players away from the club before and sometimes you get the impression they just want away, but Zouma I think enjoyed the adulation :greengrin

Hibby D
11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Hibsbollah there's a world of difference between bumping into someone and blatantly stalking them!!!! :wink:

khib70
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM

No real surprise here.
This thread is obviously complete nonsense........

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?189675-De-Graaf-Signing-Session-at-club-store

:greengrin

jdships
11-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe he is looking at the tone of the sentence? Why would you admit to something that is likely unless you were lead to believe something different? Surely you only admit to things under pressure unless it has always been the case? Seems a bit of a no-story to me.

:thumbsup:
HFC very rarely comment on signings until they have all formalities taken care of which is as it should be .
E.G. Hartley and a few others accross the city

down-the-slope
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Reporters ask questions...two options..tell the tuth / tell them what benefits you most.

As last year we will have to see which it is.

If players are signed at the last minute then more likley to get them for less wages etc (an over supply of players with EPL squad reductions etc etc)
Also clubs often wait till they have players in before freeing players.

you can also sign players who are unemployed, so even after window closes you could sign a player who has his contract cancelled etc

I have a suspicion that there was another player or two who we were looking to get in but Bamba not getting bids has scuppered

col02
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
At which point will the penny drop with some Hibs fans that we can only spend what we generate as a club? I doubt the wage budget has been decreased or increased this season but players like Hart and De Graf would have taken up the wages freed up by departing players as they are both good quality players.

The fact we may not yet get any more players in might be a blessing in disguise as it gives a bit motivation for one or two of the young players that are not away on loan to push into the squad.

Hamish
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I was told a week ago that JH had been told he had to get someone out the door before he could consider bringing one in - this person thought Hughes was quite close to getting rid of a player:dunno:

--------
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
At which point will the penny drop with some Hibs fans that we can only spend what we generate as a club? I doubt the wage budget has been decreased or increased this season but players like Hart and De Graf would have taken up the wages freed up by departing players as they are both good quality players.

The fact we may not yet get any more players in might be a blessing in disguise as it gives a bit motivation for one or two of the young players that are not away on loan to push into the squad.

:agree: We already have Wotherspoon, Galbraith, and Hanlon pushing for places in the starting line-up. David Stephens is another. There ARE other laddies looking increasingly ready to step up, but they won't get a chance if we constantly fill the spaces in the first-team squad with transfers. Seems to me that it's a matter of balance?

If (for example) Sol Bamba moves for a decent fee, I could see us bringing in someone else. Not otherwise, unless someone wins the lottery.

Phil D. Rolls
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Does this mean no more signings for the current manager?

--------
11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Does this mean no more signings for the current manager?

Are you suggesting that perhaps the board have put a block on Mr Hughes signing more players, while holding funds for a possible successor in the event of Mr Hughes' contract being terminated sooner than previously envisaged?

If so, the thought had occurred to me too. :rolleyes:

smurf
11-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I think the board must have concerns over Hughes.

marinello59
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM

or Hughes has accepted the reasons why his playing budget is at the level it is this year.

--------
11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
or Hughes has accepted the reasons why his playing budget is at the level it is this year.

You mean, he's talked to the chairman, and they've amicably agreed a budget level for the playing staff?????????? :shocked:

Shurely shome mishtake there? :no way:

HFC 0-7
11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Last season we signed Stokes and Miller after the opening game of the season, as HFC_1875 says.

The fact is that the later the window drags on, the better the terms (from the clubs' point of view) unattached or dissatisfied players are likely to accept. There are players available; the only question is whether they're players we want at ER - are they better than the players we already have? Will they be disruptive influences in the squad? Are they prepared to work for the team, or are they just looking for a last pay-day for sitting on the bench? Are they injury-prone?

I hope we see some of the younger players being given their chance in the opening few games - that won't happen if Hughes has filled the squad with new signings just for the sake of it.

Reading some of the Yamboid comments there, I can say that De Graaf isn't a hammer-thrower, Davie Stephens isn't a spotty kid (maybe the plook should tell him that to his face?), and Michael Hart's an experienced full-back with a decent pedigree. If Bamba does in fact stay on even to Christmas, the pressure on us to sign a centre-half eases a lot.

Of course we want more, better, players. Zouma will be back before Christmas, as I understand the article, and while we apparently won't have anyone else in before Sunday - though Yogi could be lying in his big buck teeth on that one - we may still do another deal or two before the window closes.

This year's been a fairly dramatic and unsettling year so far - it must be like playing in a completely new stadium right now for the players; I think I'll wait at least until half-time on Sunday before I panic or start moaning at Yogi or the team.

That's half-an-hour longer than I gave them last year... :rolleyes:

I agree that if you wait until the season starts you may get a better deal, but, this reduces the options. Yogi is good at bringing players in that are out of contract or un attached, but I dont think he has shown yet that he can go and find players for particular positions. I think this has been shown when he went for Gow when we clearly needed defenders or a good solid midfielder and in the end Gow was a bit of a waste of a wage that could have been saved.

If Gow becomes available I hope we dont go for him as we need a lot of other positions first.

Steve20
11-08-2010, 04:52 PM
If we are going with the squad as it is just now, then we will struggle. We can't defend and have no back up strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancienthibby
11-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree that if you wait until the season starts you may get a better deal, but, this reduces the options. Yogi is good at bringing players in that are out of contract or un attached, but I dont think he has shown yet that he can go and find players for particular positions. I think this has been shown when he went for Gow when we clearly needed defenders or a good solid midfielder and in the end Gow was a bit of a waste of a wage that could have been saved.

If Gow becomes available I hope we dont go for him as we need a lot of other positions first.

This is just called being opportunistic!:thumbsup:

If a quality player becomes available and you were not necessarily concerned about that position (and I am not saying this is the case with Gow) then why should the manager not look to strengthen the pack and shuffle it at the same time??:grr::grr:

truehibernian
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I think we will see another two new faces at Easter Road but probably at the expense of Sol Bamba. I think there will be movement once PSG finalise the transfer of their prized asset Sakho. Have a feeling that the big man was in Paris not just to see family.......just a niggly feeling I have regards that "mix up". A winger who can weigh in with a few goals and a central defender are vital for me.

aberhibsfc
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Someone left a Star in the office at lunch time today, just had a flick through the pages. It had an article quoting Hughes saying that the new stand, training facilities will be influential when encouraging players to come to Hibs. Not directly saying we are going to sign anyone but if taken at face value illustrates that transfers are not far from Hughes mind.

discman
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Are you suggesting that perhaps the board have put a block on Mr Hughes signing more players, while holding funds for a possible successor in the event of Mr Hughes' contract being terminated sooner than previously envisaged?

yogi doesnt sign players,mixu didnt sign players etc etc they only make recomendations!!!!!

discman
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM

lost my thread. lol As I said yogi doesnt sign players,Mixu didnt sign players etc etc only one person signs players at ER and has done for the last 8/9 years!!!!!!

MSK
11-08-2010, 05:41 PM
lost my thread. lol As I said yogi doesnt sign players,Mixu didnt sign players etc etc only one person signs players at ER and has done for the last 8/9 years!!!!!!Really ...?...:paranoid:..so all those duff signings over the years were Petrie's !!!!...:grr:

discman
11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Really ...?...:paranoid:..so all those duff signings over the years were Petrie's !!!!...:grr:

yup,thought everybody knew that??

MSK
11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
yup,thought everybody knew that??Nah ..i didnae ...who did you get this "insider" info from ..?

discman
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Nah ..i didnae ...who did you get this "insider" info from ..?

An insider! Did you ever wonder why we,ve lost so many managers?? Were a selling club not a buying one,since season 2000/2001 we have brought in27millionplus onselling players and spent £560,000 on buying figures speak for themselves !!!

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
An insider! Did you ever wonder why we,ve lost so many managers?? Were a selling club not a buying one,since season 2000/2001 we have brought in27millionplus onselling players and spent £560,000 on buying figures speak for themselves !!!

Who's not?:confused:

MSK
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
An insider! Did you ever wonder why we,ve lost so many managers?? Were a selling club not a buying one,since season 2000/2001 we have brought in27millionplus onselling players and spent £560,000 on buying figures speak for themselves !!!Ah ..but what have we done wi aw that money ...?

Big Frank
11-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Could you list the £27,000,000 please.

Danderhall Hibs
11-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Who's not?:confused:

Real Madrid and Barcelona. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Real Madrid and Barcelona. :agree:

Nah, we bought Archibald from them.:greengrin

discman
11-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Could you list the £27,000,000 please.

yer havin a laff Big F. go to: transfer markt, correct spelling honest! Choose hibs it goes way back,I just got bored and added them all up,couldnt believe it myself!!!!
what gets really interesting is how much our directors are paying themselves,over the last 10 years.

MSK
11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
yer havin a laff Big F. go to: transfer markt, correct spelling honest! Choose hibs it goes way back,I just got bored and added them all up,couldnt believe it myself!!!!
what gets really interesting is how much our directors are paying themselves,over the last 10 years.So whats your plans for the way forward discman ?

Phil D. Rolls
11-08-2010, 06:44 PM

He's giving it a right good go, as well.

Yes, he hasn't convinced the board he can be trusted yet.

what gets really interesting is how much our directors are paying themselves,over the last 10 years.

You mean if they had paid themselves less, we might have been able to build a new stand, and take the capacity up to 20,000; not to mention owning our own training facility, and winning the CIS Cup? They really are one of the most incompetent boards in the history of the club - don't you think?

ballengeich
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Being sceptical about your figures I checked the transfermarkt site. It shows that we spent £720,000 on Alen Orman on 2001-2. I don't believe that, but in any case I suggest that you take some training in arithmetic then reconsider your stats.

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
y

How much?

wah
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
your either a yam or thick as s**t, maybe both.

discman
11-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Being sceptical about your figures I checked the transfermarkt site. It shows that we spent £720,000 on Alen Orman on 2001-2. I don't believe that, but in any case I suggest that you take some training in arithmetic then reconsider your stats.

my apologies took that training and you were correct,my figures were wrong,the new ones according to that particular web site are:in £28,975,500 out: £2,169,000 phew and I thought we were a selling club, silly me!!!

With regard to directors,let me quote football fianances,"the percentage of the club income going to the directors as pay is three times higher than any other club in scotland" In 2000 pay to directors just under £160,000 in 2006 £390,000 and 2008 and 2009 it was £500,000; so allowing for ma pish maths the directors about £3.5 million of this rod the mod has had about 1.6mill, am just uber suspicious or as soon as our youngsters develop, they are punted,never mind the team,its all about the bottom line, we the supporters need more/any representation somewhere otherwise it will all be what ifs.........

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
With regard to directors,let me quote football fianances,"the percentage of the club income going to the directors as pay is three times higher than any other club in scotland" In 2000 pay to directors just under £160,000 in 2006 £390,000 and 2008 and 2009 it was £500,000; so allowing for ma pish maths the directors about £3.5 million of this rod the mod has had about 1.6mill, am just uber suspicious or as soon as our youngsters develop, they are punted,never mind the team,its all about the bottom line, we the supporters need more/any representation somewhere otherwise it will all be what ifs.........

£1.6m in 10 years? Fairly reasonable wage, I reckon, for a man who has righted an extremely rocky ship and brought in.. how much?.. 20 odd million?

I would suggest that the reason he is paid so much more than his counterparts is because he's much better at his job than they.

discman
11-08-2010, 08:55 PM
your either a yam or thick as s**t, maybe both.

jeezo wah,ya sussed me if none of this bothers you cool,arnt you bothered by ***** signings,ok Barr might not be everybodys cup of tea but yogi wanted him the only reason the ****bos got him was management wouldnt come up with the dosh!!! someone else posted that the managers give rodney a list and he decides,this isnt just an issue for yogibut mixu and jc ask around if ya think this is pish!!!!

discman
11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
£1.6m in 10 years? Fairly reasonable wage, I reckon, for a man who has righted an extremely rocky ship and brought in.. how much?.. 20 odd million?

I would suggest that the reason he is paid so much more than his counterparts is because he's much better at his job than they.

Fair point,however do you think he is? but why do they take proportionally 3 times more out of our club than any other in Scotland,I know where I would like to see some of it spent 2 ch,s and someone up front!!!!

ballengeich
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM
my apologies took that training and you were correct,my figures were wrong,the new ones according to that particular web site are:in £28,975,500 out: £2,169,000 phew and I thought we were a selling club, silly me!!!

Your new totals match the transfermarkt site. There are a number of question marks on the site so it may not present a complete picture, but it shows that we are a selling club, if we produce players who are good enough to sell to teams with a larger income than us. It looks to me like we'd be in a shocking state if we hadn't been selling players. The extent to which that was good coaching, good scouting, or simply luck in the way our young players developed is debateable. If we'd not been selling we would have had less money to offer to incoming players so their standard would have been lower.

We've got a manageable debt despite developing the ground. This should mean that we don't have to shell out large sums on infrastructure in the next few decades. It should put us at an advantage against most Scottish clubs - a lot are in a real mess. We shall see.

wah
11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I think you are like A lot of the jokers on here who think they can do a better job than the manager and the chairman but really they know jack sh**
You don't have a clue what the chairman or directors of a business hibs size should be paid so why come out with this crap.

new malkyhib
11-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Your new totals match the transfermarkt site. There are a number of question marks on the site so it may not present a complete picture, but it shows that we are a selling club, if we produce players who are good enough to sell to teams with a larger income than us. It looks to me like we'd be in a shocking state if we hadn't been selling players. The extent to which that was good coaching, good scouting, or simply luck in the way our young players developed is debateable. If we'd not been selling we would have had less money to offer to incoming players so their standard would have been lower.

We've got a manageable debt despite developing the ground. This should mean that we don't have to shell out large sums on infrastructure in the next few decades. It should put us at an advantage against most Scottish clubs - a lot are in a real mess. We shall see.

Be patient/we've got a good balance sheet/the sun shines oot of Rod Petrie's tache/Tom Farmer saved us/ at least we're not Hearts/Leeds/Gretna etc., -feel free to add to the list.

The team are, at best mid-table mediocre, but let's be grateful for what we've got eh?

ballengeich
11-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Be patient/we've got a good balance sheet/the sun shines oot of Rod Petrie's tache/Tom Farmer saved us/ at least we're not Hearts/Leeds/Gretna etc., -feel free to add to the list.

The team are, at best mid-table mediocre, but let's be grateful for what we've got eh?

If you've got a better plan, put it forward.

Hibby 2005
11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
We'll always be a selling club unless a miracle happens.

Petrie is waiting to see what happens with the first few games of the season to see if Yogi has got what it takes before giving him a few quid.

euro Hibby
11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I read that Middlesbourgh paid around 20 million for 3 players , one was Mido , and they are all up for transfer and will be lucky to recoup 5 mill on what they shelled out. Buying players is not always the answer and I think Hibs best way forward is via a mix young and older experienced players needing a place to relaunch or finnish their careers in a good environment. Lets face it some players , ie Liam Miller, are not in it for the cash as they are well placed after being at several clubs with % on sell on fees. There are loads of good players available now but there is a lot of crap to so you need to be patient and search out the bargains. I feel we should be looking for more loan deals with buying options and we should be putting out more of our younger players to other clubs for experience as there is no reserve league. In Italy clubs often co -own a player and I wonder why this system is never used in Scotland.
Hibs are ahead of the rest right now but they need to be sensible in the market and follow a model similar to Ajax where its about youth and selling on. Sounds easy but remember the Dutch have a tap into International markets that we do not have in Scotland and thats where we need to improve.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2010, 07:28 AM

jeezo wah,ya sussed me if none of this bothers you cool,arnt you bothered by ***** signings,ok Barr might not be everybodys cup of tea but yogi wanted him the only reason the ****bos got him was management wouldnt come up with the dosh!!! someone else posted that the managers give rodney a list and he decides,this isnt just an issue for yogibut mixu and jc ask around if ya think this is pish!!!!

:whistle:

I actually amn't too bothered about what is happening at Hibs. As I alluded to earlier, we have managed to fund improvements to the infrastrucure that will work in the club's favour in years to come.

Unfortunately we don't have 400,000 fans, so the only way for a wee team like us to progress is to generate money from developing and selling players. This is something that even the big teams like Hearts have finally cottoned onto.

I am happy with our directors, as they have not sold us any lies about where the club is going. They haven't saddled us with a debt we can never clear. They have improved the ground without the embarrassment of 3d images of a super stand that appear in the papers every time the club's biggest rivals generate some news.

Neither have they promised us world cup stars or places in the Champions League. We don't get fined the equivalent of a player's wages at the start of every season. We pass on money that is due to other people, er, when it is due. We accept defeat with dignity rather than blaming everyone else on the planet for our misfortune.

Our directors are so scared of losing their big salaries that they go to other grounds and don't humiliate themselves pandering to their supporters by doing things like sticking their fingers down their throat. They also like the huge pay they get so much that they are scared to leave Edinburgh and live abroad, for fear of losing it.

Can you see what I'm getting at here? Mind you, they have let us down on the issues of low calorie pies and light bulbs in the stand. But what can you expect when your supporters are nothing more than a bunch of peg sellers from Lochend?

johnrebus
12-08-2010, 07:34 AM

I actually amn't too bothered about what is happening at Hibs. As I alluded to earlier, we have managed to fund improvements to the infrastrucure that will work in the club's favour in years to come.

Unfortunately we don't have 400,000 fans, so the only way for a wee team like us to progress is to generate money from developing and selling players. This is something that even the big teams like Hearts have finally cottoned onto.

I am happy with our directors, as they have not sold us any lies about where the club is going. They haven't saddled us with a debt we can never clear. They have improved the ground without the embarrassment of 3d images of a super stand that appear in the papers every time the club's biggest rivals generate some news.

Neither have they promised us world cup stars or places in the Champions League. We don't get fined the equivalent of a player's wages at the start of every season. We pass on money that is due to other people, er, when it is due. We accept defeat with dignity rather than blaming everyone else on the planet for our misfortune.

Our directors are so scared of losing their big salaries that they go to other grounds and don't humiliate themselves pandering to their supporters by doing things like sticking their fingers down their throat. They also like the huge pay they get so much that they are scared to leave Edinburgh and live abroad, for fear of losing it.

Can you see what I'm getting at here? Mind you, they have let us down on the issues of low calorie pies and light bulbs in the stand. But what can you expect when your supporters are nothing more than a bunch of peg sellers from Lochend?

Would have awarded you :top marks , but you missed out the bit about winning World Wars...,

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Would have awarded you :top marks , but you missed out the bit about winning World Wars...,

I wasn't talking about any one club in particular though. :fibber:

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Excellent post, FR. I think that we do have to take a little step back. We have improved the squad by signing a midfielder and a right-back, and we have a promising young central defender who will be involved at some stage of the season.

The idea that we can solve all our on-field issues as soon as the last stretch of tarmac outside the east is dry (which one of you guys landed that nice little earner btw? It certainly wasn't poor old Bobby here!) is an erroneous one. As you say, it'll take a period of stability, but we'll be well placed to move on that front over the next few years - round about the time many clubs will go tits up. Right now it's crucial that we continue to attract and develop some of the brightest young players and train them properly.

You can't just magic a 'special relationship' with Scottish Cups and World Wars just like that. It all takes time.

Caversham Green
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM

You were right not to believe it. Not one of the figures shown on that website relating to Hibs is close to being accurate.

Football Finances gives a far more accurate view.

Steve20
12-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Hughes comes out and says the fans need to recognise the costly work that has taken place with the new stand.

So what was all this crap about earlier in the year - http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-boss-told-East-Stand.6095112.jp

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Hughes comes out and says the fans need to recognise the costly work that has taken place with the new stand.

So what was all this crap about earlier in the year - http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-boss-told-East-Stand.6095112.jp

You do know managers lie for a living, its practically written in to their contracts?

marinello59
12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

I have to admit to suspecting this was indeed pish. So, as you suggested, I took the trouble to ask around. It turns out I was wrong and the correct terminology is actually 'complete and utter pish'.

RickyS
12-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I have to admit to suspecting this was indeed pish. So, as you suggested, I took the trouble to ask around. It turns out I was wrong and the correct terminology is actually 'complete and utter pish'.
:faf:

Andy74
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
lost my thread. lol As I said yogi doesnt sign players,Mixu didnt sign players etc etc only one person signs players at ER and has done for the last 8/9 years!!!!!!

What you are saying is right in a technical sense but it doesn't have the meaning you are trying to give it.

Yes, the manager and the coaching staff scout and take recommendations on players and weill then complie a list of who they are interested in.

It's right that the dealings are then handed over to the CEO or Chairman now but that's just the actual getting the thing done and contact is constant with the manager on that. If one doesn't come off they agree the next target on the list.

i think it's a bit different at your club though eh?

ahibby
12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Excellent post, FR. I think that we do have to take a little step back. We have improved the squad by signing a midfielder and a right-back, and we have a promising young central defender who will be involved at some stage of the season.

My complaint last year was that we didn't have a right back and we needed another centre back. I think we are okay at the back although I seem to be only one of a few who thinks our defence will come good, as long as we don't sell Bamba that is. Focus now shifts up front and with Zemama missing for the next three months, midfileld. As things stand we need a ball winner in midfield (a Kevin Thomson type perhaps). I was surprised to see how reluctant we were to put in strong tackles against Maribor and that has to be put right. I was disappointed with Stokes who seemed to be scared to take players on and I hope he gets back to his last season standard. Big Colin appears to be limited, more than I previously thought. How negative am I today? To help us rule midfield with the players we have, I would have tried Bamba in midfield and Hanlon or Stephens as centre backs, that would atleast give us the dig in midfield we seem to miss. I think we need to go 442 and despite his limitations up front I'd start with Nish and Riordan as the two strikers and gradually ween Stokes back in when I see the hunger come back. All just my opinion of course. I think we are in for a diffiuclt start to the season and not the flyer we had last.

Phil D. Rolls
12-08-2010, 10:58 AM
What you are saying is right in a technical sense but it doesn't have the meaning you are trying to give it.

Yes, the manager and the coaching staff scout and take recommendations on players and weill then complie a list of who they are interested in.

It's right that the dealings are then handed over to the CEO or Chairman now but that's just the actual getting the thing done and contact is constant with the manager on that. If one doesn't come off they agree the next target on the list.

i think it's a bit different at your club though eh?

:confused:

--------
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM

So you want him to say, "Aye, sure, we've got plenty of money, and I'm desperate to sign a centre-half, a left-back, and another midfielder. If I don't, we're screwed for the season"?

Aye, right.

We got a wee bonus when Fletcher moved on to Wolves. We haven't as yet received the expected 7-figure fee for Sol Bamba (thank you, Ericksson) but we might yet. In the meantime, my guess is we're in the market, but Rod's playing his cards very close to his chest, and giving absolutely nothing away.

I pity the man who does business with Rod. I'd weep for anyone playing poker against him.

But that said, I agree with ahibby that we should go to 4-4-2, and that we need to get stuck in more in midfield.