PDA

View Full Version : Yams Yams Stand

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, I have to say that i've been impressed by the Yams continuing dedication to preserving the traditional architectural heritage of Tynecastle. Particularly impressive is the old Leitch-built 'Asbo' Stand.

Anyone else ever had a reluctant 'much as I hate to admit it' moment regarding Los Yambolinos recently?

Wing Half
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Only regarding the stand

Phil D. Rolls
09-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, I have to say that i've been impressed by the Yams continuing dedication to preserving the traditional architectural heritage of Tynecastle. Particularly impressive is the old Leitch-built 'Asbo' Stand.

Anyone else ever had a reluctant 'much as I hate to admit it' moment regarding Los Yambolinos recently?

I think Leitch would have seen this place as a boy and been inspired to build some of his later masterpieces such as Roker Park, Goodison and Dens Park. Personally,I think it's right up there with the reconstructed Globe theatre as an insight into how the masses used to entertain themselves.

I have heard it said that satellite imaging suggests that there was - at one time - a pleasure garden, velodrome and bear pit on the site. Truly a landmark location in the history of sport, and one that has me ashamed that as the Yams were constructing such cathedrals of sport, we were still putting down jackets in the meadows, and interrupting games to sell pegs to the genteel residents of Marchmont.

They are a famous historic club, and should rightly be proud of this structure.

Wing Half
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I think Leitch would have seen this place as a boy and been inspired to build some of his later masterpieces such as Roker Park, Goodison and Dens Park. Personally,I think it's right up there with the reconstructed Globe theatre as an insight into how the masses used to entertain themselves.

I have heard it said that satellite imaging suggests that there was - at one time - a pleasure garden, velodrome and bear pit on the site. Truly a landmark location in the history of sport, and one that has me ashamed that as the Yams were constructing such cathedrals of sport, we were still putting down jackets in the meadows, and interrupting games to sell pegs to the genteel residents of Marchmont.

They are a famous historic club, and should rightly be proud of this structure.

Well I preferred our old stand to the one we have now.

Phil D. Rolls
09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Well I preferred our old stand to the one we have now.

Yes, but that was a genuine Leitch. I'm not sure if the one at the Forelockdome is.

--------
09-08-2010, 07:52 PM

Much as I hate to admit it, Bob, I have to say I think you're absolutely right here.

Far too many businesses nowadays are committed to change, change, change, and all at the expense of tradition and the gracious customs and manners of bygone years. The Yambos are an example and inspiration to us all in the determined and dedicated way they've committed themselves to preserving that wonderful old early-20th-century structure, the product of real craftsmanship and now almost-forgotten technology.

Where else would you find such a skilful application of the art of asbestos cladding? The wonderful old wooden seats? The elegance of corrugated tin roofing? The Augean character of the open urinals, tastefully fragranced in a mixture of Jeyes Fluid and Parazone after their annual swilling-out?

What a pleasant contrast to the soulless, mechanistic ambience of the new stand at Easter Road.... :rolleyes:

And how nice to know that this stand is certain to be preserved just as it is for mnany, many years to come. :devil:

Joe's ice cream
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I would say the ablility to play expansive football and keeping the ball firmly on the ground is something we could only dream about.

Also having a manager 'that knows' would be a bonus!!! :bye:

Bostonhibby
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I think its entirely appropriate that they retain it, it was in place when they won World War One, and as such is a lasting memory to the occasion and I am sure this will ultimately be why Vlad will say he could not bring himself to alter any of this famous old structure,of national importance, steeped in memories, and asbestos.

MSK
09-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Anyone else ever had a reluctant 'much as I hate to admit it' moment regarding Los Yambolinos recently?I have the occassional boaks when i see or even think of tramp-castle ...does that count ...:jamboak:

Btw ..where the **** dae they get the Tyne..or Castle ...fi ..?

Wait found it...castle (from Latin castellum) is a type of fortified structure built in Europe and the Middle East during the Middle Ages. ....seems reasonable ..:agree:

So we have a **** hole that was built in the middle ages ...reasonable ..:agree:

Big Frank
09-08-2010, 08:13 PM

I am mightily impressed that you have posted, what in my opinion, many a Hibby felt deep down, but were to scared to admit it.:agree:

Much as I hate to admit it, I was really jealous of the 1970s Ajax top recently released. It should dazzle, and lure most opposition teams into forgetting the hoofing of the ball, as they will be far too busy admiring the elan.

Hibernian missed a trick here Bob. How can we get out their shadow:confused:

They are an institution:agree:

heretoday
09-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I am mightily impressed that you have posted, what in my opinion, many a Hibby felt deep down, but were to scared to admit it.:agree:

Much as I hate to admit it, I was really jealous of the 1970s Ajax top recently released. It should dazzle, and lure most opposition teams into forgetting the hoofing of the ball, as they will be far too busy admiring the elan.

They ought to be in an institution.

Kaiser1962
09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
One thing though, if the situation was reversed and it was us who had an asbestos ridden death trap as our main structure in the top division in the 21st century, the Cooncil would have closed it down in a heartbeat. Absolutely no doubt in my mind of that.

matty_f
09-08-2010, 09:19 PM

I'm jealous that Hibs have never won any wars all by ourselves.

blairwallace
09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
i always wonder how they get around the stand and if theres food stalls ect?
if they were to have space inside for fans it would be a tiny hall way so if there was a food stall/ kitchen thing it would be a disaster!

Hibbyradge
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, I wish I'd been at Dens Park in 1986.

Disc O'Dave
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, Bob, I have to say I think you're absolutely right here.

Far too many businesses nowadays are committed to change, change, change, and all at the expense of tradition and the gracious customs and manners of bygone years. The Yambos are an example and inspiration to us all in the determined and dedicated way they've committed themselves to preserving that wonderful old early-20th-century structure, the product of real craftsmanship and now almost-forgotten technology.

Where else would you find such a skilful application of the art of asbestos cladding? The wonderful old wooden seats? The elegance of corrugated tin roofing? The Augean character of the open urinals, tastefully fragranced in a mixture of Jeyes Fluid and Parazone after their annual swilling-out?

What a pleasant contrast to the soulless, mechanistic ambience of the new stand at Easter Road.... :rolleyes:

And how nice to know that this stand is certain to be preserved just as it is for mnany, many years to come. :devil:

Indeed,

And don't forget their contribution to teamwork and close bonding - by shying away from any of these new fangled spacious changing rooms, and forcing a squad cameraderie that can only come from getting changed for a game of professional football in a space slightly smaller than the changing rooms at Northfield Community Centre

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Much as I hate to admit it, I wish I'd been at Dens Park in 1986.

:top marks Much as I hate to admit it, I think that one's pretty much unbeatable.

lyonhibs
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM

I'll be even more jealous when they get round to paying Umbro in full so they can actually wear the top.

Everything about Hearts is imbibed with a musky scent, the kind that we all say we hate, but that really takes us back to the good old colonial days, jodaphurs and the Raj, chaps called Biffy getting a bit "well-oiled" down the Drones.

A happier time, all things considered.

proud_and_green
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm jealous that Hibs have never won any wars all by ourselves.

Does the battle of Otterburn NAAFI count, i was there and i was a major contributor to the victory that night!!!