09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Just announced on R5 Live

methinks Toys out of the Cot regarding James Miliner

hibeeleicester
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Oneill for hibs? :greengrin

MountcastleHibs
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Would seem that may well be the reason. Maybe not going to be able to bring in a replacement or something? Or that he disagrees with the board in selling him?

A real shame as Aston Villa were moving upwards with O'Neill in charge. Will certainly be interesting to see who replaces him.

M11BMO
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Seems the only likely story to have caused him to walk.

Milner being sold against his wishes?

CallumLaidlaw
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
He Talked openly about milner leaving at the weekend so it's probably been that he's been told he can forget about mcgeady/pienaar as a replacement

MacBean
09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8898993.stm

seanraff07
09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Very good manager and i think Villa could struggle for Europe now that he's left.

Unless they have an equally as good replacement which i can't see/

HibeeB
09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Very good manager and i think Villa could struggle for Europe now that he's left.

Unless they have an equally as good replacement which i can't see/

He has been a good manager, but only when he has had pots of money to spend.

Be interseting to see where he goes next, or will it be gardening leave till Fergie retires????

houston1875
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
smelltic for oneill,theyll be trying a arm and a leg for him!!!

hibeeleicester
09-08-2010, 03:59 PM
smelltic for oneill,theyll be trying a arm and a leg for him!!!

:agree:

They will be spewin that they have hired lennon now!

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
FFS how long before they make an approach for Yogi? :wink:

houston1875
09-08-2010, 04:05 PM

bahahahaha happy days!!!!

Austinho
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
He quit Celtic to look after his ill wife. Could possibly be the reason again?

The Milner situation was the first thing to pop into my head as well though.

houston1875
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM

gees forgot bout that?

Speedway
09-08-2010, 04:32 PM
It's hard to build a side to challenge for honours when the club sells its best players, eh Rod? :wink:

ScottB
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Pretty poor on O'Neils part in a way, every club has to sell players, often against the managers wishes and cut their cloth accordingly, didn't see Fergie chucking his toys out the pram when Ronaldo left or Guardiola bailing when the board sold that Russian boy out from under him did we?

He's got a bit of a track record for bailing out on clubs now, wonder if we will see him again, he certainly has no obvious destination at this time...

steakbake
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Oneill for hibs? :greengrin

Would LOVE that. But no chance in a million years. We've got more chance of winning the Scottish cup.

hibee bouncer
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
FFS Petrie...........you no signed him up yet ahead of the new season?! :wink:

PaulSmith
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM

You better believe they will, as will Liverpool!

ancienthibby
09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Pretty poor on O'Neils part in a way, every club has to sell players, often against the managers wishes and cut their cloth accordingly, didn't see Fergie chucking his toys out the pram when Ronaldo left or Guardiola bailing when the board sold that Russian boy out from under him did we?

He's got a bit of a track record for bailing out on clubs now, wonder if we will see him again, he certainly has no obvious destination at this time...

So you set yourself up as judge and jury:grr::grr:

Do you not remember that he resigned from Celtic because of a horrific illness his wife was experiencing:idiot:

Toaods
09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I confidently predict he'll replace Capello ... ;-)

BroxburnHibee
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Do you not remember that he resigned from Celtic because of a horrific illness his wife was experiencing:idiot:

Christ!!!! I forgot all about that as well - I take it she's still ok?

ScottB
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Obviously that was a genuine and just reason to leave the job, but in most walks of life if your cv shows you continually quitting jobs for any reason, you get yourself a reputation for it!

And yeah, walking out cause they sold a player is pretty poor if you ask me, there's not a club in the world that don't do it, particularly in the financial pressures of the Premiership, it's the reality of the game, particularly at Villa's level.

houston1875
09-08-2010, 06:02 PM
You better believe they will, as will Liverpool!

Nope I'm happy with hodgson,as sbody said earlier oneill got previous can be difficult and we just had a difficult manager in rafa..

ekhibee
09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
It's quite difficult to comment on this without knowing the full facts. If indeed Martin O'Neill's wife is suffering then there really can't be any debate about him leaving, there will always be more important things than football. But if it is over the Milner situation, then he's being pretty childish, and has made a poor decision at the wrong time for both him and the club.

sesoim
09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Newcastle manager by October.

sesoim
09-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Would seem that may well be the reason. Maybe not going to be able to bring in a replacement or something? Or that he disagrees with the board in selling him?

A real shame as Aston Villa were moving upwards with O'Neill in charge. Will certainly be interesting to see who replaces him.

To be honest any future progress was going to be very slow. There's at least six bigger clubs in the League - it's not that hard to finish 7th but very hard to get higher without big money. I also think O'Neill made a very bad mistake by playing reserves in the Europa League QFs a year ago as they could have won that competition, and the fans seemed to be a bit frustrated for a while after that.

The Baldmans Comb
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
A very clever move by a very shrewd and clever man.:agree:

Every manager has a sell by date and 4 years is about right and you have to keep ahead of the game and Villa have tried valiantly to hold on to and even attract players by continually upping the wage budget.

Sounds like the money has run dry and the luck would soon run out hence by keeping moving you keep the CV intact for the next job that comes along probably around xmas.

Duffys13
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Talk Sport saying he has been told he is getting nowt of the Milner Money

The Silver Fox
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Got to agree that Newcastle is a big job (also a poisoned chalice) but if they get cash in O'Neill would do a job there.

He is one of very few managers who has not made a wrong move in his career. His next job will be the biggest job of his career. He would be a genuine candidate for Man Utd, almost certainly would have been first choice for Liverpool, instead of Hodgson, had he been available. He would be a fool to go to Celtic, there is no chance of a return there in the near future.

Gala Foxes
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
M O'Neill was a legend at Leicester -

+ Took the Foxes in to the Premiership beating Palace 2-1 at Wembley in the Play Offs
+ Discovered Muzzy Izzet, Sav, Neil Lennon, Matt Elliot, Steve Guppy
+ Gave Heskey his debut
+ Kick started Mark Robins & Tony Cottee's stagnating careers
+ Won the League Cup twice against Boro & then Tranmere
+ Took City in to the UEFA Cup
+ Kept the Foxes in the Premiership & consecutive Top 10 finishes
+ All on a shoestring

FOXES LEGEND

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
M O'Neill was a legend at Leicester -

+ Took the Foxes in to the Premiership beating Palace 2-1 at Wembley in the Play Offs
+ Discovered Muzzy Izzet, Sav, Neil Lennon, Matt Elliot, Steve Guppy
+ Gave Heskey his debut
+ Kick started Mark Robins & Tony Cottee's stagnating careers
+ Won the League Cup twice against Boro & then Tranmere
+ Took City in to the UEFA Cup
+ Kept the Foxes in the Premiership & consecutive Top 10 finishes
+ All on a shoestring

FOXES LEGEND

As much as I hate to admit it, he's a damn fine manager.

judas
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
He has been a good manager, but only when he has had pots of money to spend.

Be interseting to see where he goes next, or will it be gardening leave till Fergie retires????

He never had much money at Leicester (relative to his competitors).

Ask the Leicester fans how they regard Oneil.:wink:

hibeeleicester
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
He never had much money at Leicester (relative to his competitors).

Ask the Leicester fans how they regard Oneil.:wink:

Hero.:agree:

discman
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM

5years at wycombe,5years at leicester,5years at celtic,4years at villa, yeah yer right bit of a light weight!!!!!!

jane_says
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
i heard lerner was doubting oneill's signings, considering he paid 12 million for stewart downing:confused: i can see where he was coming from, always paid over the odds for players - 8 mill for warnock was it 9 mill for cuellar? curtis davies for some insanely over inflated price. read somewhere he had spent close to a hundred million in four years. milner and young apart who was worth it?

cant imagine oneill took too kindly to lerner doubting him and he does seem to stick by his principles. think oneill works best with a tight budget tbh and shouldn't be given free reign on signings

Stevie Reid
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Steve Coppell has done it again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8908308.stm

Jim44
12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Steve Coppell has done it again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8908308.stm

Itchy feet.............nine jobs in 26 years.