PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool: A Rather Enjoyable Experience

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes, it's rather tatty and earthy, but I enjoyed Blackpool. The rooms at the Savoy were clean and comfortable (if rather less salubrious than it's London namesake!) and staff friendly and accommodating.

The food was rather shoddy, and I was unable to locate a reassuringly expensive restaurant, but settled gamely for the local seafood.

As for the game, I predict Blackpool (who could have buried us in the first twenty minutes when our defense and midfield were undertaking a passable impersonation of traffic cones) will win the fewest ever number of points in an ELP campaign.

HH81
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
got to agree with you on the points front. The question is how many pints of tennents did you get through? :)

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes, it's rather tatty and earthy, but I enjoyed Blackpool. The rooms at the Savoy were clean and comfortable (if rather less salubrious than it's London namesake!) and staff friendly and accommodating.

The food was rather shoddy, and I was unable to locate a reassuringly expensive restaurant, but settled gamely for the local seafood.

As for the game, I predict Blackpool (who could have buried us in the first twenty minutes when our defense and midfield were undertaking a passable impersonation of traffic cones) will win the fewest ever number of points in an ELP campaign.

:agree: I'm going to have a bet that they lose the most goals ever in the EPL. My girlfriend is manager of a William Hills shop, and is getting me a price on 100 or more.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
got to agree with you on the points front. The question is how many pints of tennents did you get through? :)

The same as I normally do back home. :wink:

The bar staff at the hotel were decent enough to provide slices of lemon and lime after I was moved to complain, with a little word on standards. The beauty of life lies in the details.

glow1875
09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
FYI bet365 are offering evens that Blackpool are bottom of the EPL come christmas

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
DBS - did you partake in the oysters from the seafood bar? For the more discerning gentleman I found them to be a snip at just under a guinea a time!

Dalehibbie
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Hope The Savoy has changed a bit since I worked there, saw a cockroach dragging a slice of toast down a drain once.

Phil D. Rolls
09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Hope The Savoy has changed a bit since I worked there, saw a cockroach dragging a slice of toast down a drain once.

That sounds so Les Dawson. Did the mice fling themselves on the traps at meal times?

.Sean.
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
FYI bet365 are offering evens that Blackpool are bottom of the EPL come christmas
Free money!! :agree:

Blackpool really will struggle this season. Can't see them scoring anywere near the amount they'll concede. Leaky defence it looks like they've got.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
DBS - did you partake in the oysters from the seafood bar? For the more discerning gentleman I found them to be a snip at just under a guinea a time!

Yes, I did indeed, and very nice they were too. I was actually in the Seafood Restaurant in Bond Street, not the place on the prom. A nice fillet of Dover Sole too - highly recommended.

Perhaps we might get to play Brighton or Bournemouth next year?

Toaods
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Spent 3 days in Bournemouth last month - lovely place, cracking beaches, good weather almost guaranteed, tidy women and good night life. Perfect away friendly with Ryanair delivery.

hibee92
09-08-2010, 05:31 PM

i'll have some of that! :agree:

Sergey
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM

I concur on all points raised, Bob, and Blackpool as a town is indeed a little dated and grubby, but fun nonetheless.

For digs, I cleverly opted for a highly commended boarding house in neighbouring, St. Annes. Fine cuisine was to be had in several local eateries (but unbelievably, no local seafood was to be had), with The Olive Tree Brasserie offering a lovely selection of Mediterranean bits and pieces that might be meze, or tapas, or just snacks, and which counted as sophisticated fine dining for the residents of Fylde.

I did make a mistake in ordering two lamb chops, skimpily butchered, overcooked and anointed with a coarse mulch that looked like the blessing of a passing gull.

That aside, I couldn't help but notice that St. Annes is plainly popular for those nearing death, but essentially it's a nice town.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
We might even make it to Margate DBS, I believe Cassandras father on the tv show Only Fools and Horses recommends the cockles from that locality.

Bostonhibby
09-08-2010, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Dashing Bob S;2539688]Yes, it's rather tatty and earthy, but I enjoyed Blackpool. The rooms at the Savoy were clean and comfortable (if rather less salubrious than it's London namesake!) and staff friendly and accommodating.

Was this Savoy perhaps named not after London's most indulgent but over rated establishment, but in fact the cabbage of the same name DBS?

Me, I enjoyed the full 3 courses at the Clifton in Lytham St Annes (?) with my Blackpool based mate - washed down with 5 pints of decent ale from their own bar, all very genteel, until we hit the sea front, I can only liken it to Porty when the weegies used to migrate there en masse in the late 60's and early 70's only 10 times bigger......... still, great place of it's type is Blackpool, pleased to report that the back seat of the car was clean and comfortable all the way home afterwards with ample toilet facilities just outside the door..........

Maybe we could start a hotel guide.................

skipster7
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Free money!! :agree:

Blackpool really will struggle this season. Can't see them scoring anywere near the amount they'll concede. Leaky defence it looks like they've got.

been watching star wars yoda ? :greengrin

.Sean.
09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
been watching star wars yoda ? :greengrin
Whoooshed right over me that one

skipster7
09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Whoooshed right over me that one

ignore me mate,amused i easily am:wink:

Exiled in Poole
10-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Spent 3 days in Bournemouth last month - lovely place, cracking beaches, good weather almost guaranteed, tidy women and good night life. Perfect away friendly with Ryanair delivery.

A Bournemouth friendly would suit me down to the ground, but I thought that Ryan Air had pulled the Edinburgh Bournemouth route?

marinello59
10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
A Bournemouth friendly would suit me down to the ground, but I thought that Ryan Air had pulled the Edinburgh Bournemouth route?

Nope. It lands at Bournemouth Paris Beauvais Airport and you bus it in from there.:agree:

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Nope. It lands at Bournemouth Paris Beauvais Airport and you bus it in from there.:agree:

I heard they'd teamed with ITA to put on a regular service between Edinburgh Maribor and Bournemouth Paris Beauvais with five days on 'luxury' coaches thrown in gratis.

glow1875
14-08-2010, 04:19 PM

eh... oops. I think christmas might be canceled this year, 'santa' backed this quite heavily. :dizzy