PDA

View Full Version : Will Yogi Now Leave That Team Alone?

Hibby 2005
09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I know it was only a friendly v Blackpool but we looked a lot better with Riordan where he should be and Nish out of the picture. 4-4-2 and a solid looking midfield with the defence about as good as it'll get for the moment. Even the subs bench looked no bad.

Over to you Yogi.

--------
09-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Short answer to your question?

Not a snowball's chance in the Big Burny-Burny Place, I'm afraid.

How many managers do we know who play an uncomplicated 4-4-2? I won't be surprised if it's business as usual at Fir Park, I'm afraid. :bitchy:

Speedway
09-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Why is it a Sunday noon kick off at Murderwell by the way?

Yogi will go, rightly or wrongly, for whatever selection and tactic he thinks will win the game.

hibbysam
09-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Why is it a Sunday noon kick off at Murderwell by the way?

Yogi will go, rightly or wrongly, for whatever selection and tactic he thinks will win the game.

its live on espn :agree:

silverhibee
09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I know it was only a friendly v Blackpool but we looked a lot better with Riordan where he should be and Nish out of the picture. 4-4-2 and a solid looking midfield with the defence about as good as it'll get for the moment. Even the subs bench looked no bad.

Over to you Yogi.

Nope, i am sure he will go back to 4-5-1 on Sunday with Nish upfront. :rolleyes:

Keith_M
09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I'd be surprised if he kept that formation, TBH. He seems to favour the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formations, presumably as he thinks that's the Dutch way, or whatever.

FWIW, any formation is only as good as the players you have. It's possible Yogi's ideal is too 'complicated' for the personnel at his disposal.

I'm in the camp that believes in keeping things as simple as possible and playing players where they're most comfortable. If that means a 4-4-2 then so be it.

steviecarnie
09-08-2010, 01:57 PM
How many managers do we know who play an uncomplicated 4-4-2? I won't be surprised if it's business as usual at Fir Park, I'm afraid. :bitchy:

The most successful manager ever played 4-4-2 in both halves during yesterdays charity shield. if u have to good strikers it makes sense to use them properly....or so u would think.

HFC 0-7
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd be surprised if he kept that formation, TBH. He seems to favour the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formations, presumably as he thinks that's the Dutch way, or whatever.

FWIW, any formation is only as good as the players you have. It's possible Yogi's ideal is too 'complicated' for the personnel at his disposal.

I'm in the camp that believes in keeping things as simple as possible and playing players where they're most comfortable. If that means a 4-4-2 then so be it.

I think this is definately the problem. I think 4-5-1 works when you have 2 fast wingers and a guy up front that can run all day and have the ability to hold the ball up. 4-3-3 is always difficult even for top teams, The midfield can be over run so easy if the 1 or 2 of the 3 up front dont help out enough. Unfortunately the players we have up front are not good enough at the defending in midfield side of things.

4-4-2 is easy, its easy for everyone to know what they have to do in the system and its quite a solid way to play. To play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 and include Stokes and riordan in them will be hard. Those 2 players are best to be free to roam about up front and make runs, rather than look a bit lost when trying to track back. 4-4-2 with stokes and riordan up front, especially with de graff looking a player in midfield will bring goals.

Stevie Reid
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
As much as I would be delighted to see us adopt a 4-4-2 with Riordan and Stokes up front as our main formation this season, it's worth bearing in mind that Nish scored a hattrick on our last visit to Motherwell, and our strikers got 6 between them.

As much as Nish can be a frustrating player, he's usually at his most frustrating when asked to play with his back to goal, which clearly isn't playing to his strengths. The last game at Fir Park showed (as did Tannadice days later) that if you present Nish with chances in the penalty area, he can finish and finish well.

I cannot recall Nish missing many sitters in his time at Hibs, indeed I can think of many good and composed finishes - his left footed 25 yard chip against St. Mirren at ER being one in particular that stands out. When through on a one on one situation against St. Johnstone last season he also was very composed, drawing the keeper to win a penalty.

I get as frustrted with him as many Hibbies do, but that's usually when he's spent the whole game on his arse or giving fouls away because he's being utilised as a target man which he clearly isn't. But the biggest criticism of any striker should surely be missing lots of chances - an accusation that I do not believe can be fairly levelled at Nishy.

--------
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
The most successful manager ever played 4-4-2 in both halves during yesterdays charity shield. if u have to good strikers it makes sense to use them properly....or so u would think.

Aye - and that proves the point, IMO. Keeping it simple pays off. Too many others try to be clever - and that doesn't work.

Diamonds, Christmas trees, 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, three at the back, five at the back, whatever. Yesterday's team seems ot have worked OK; too much to hope that he leaves it be. :rolleyes:

ancienthibby
09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Aye - and that proves the point, IMO. Keeping it simple pays off. Too many others try to be clever - and that doesn't work.

Diamonds, Christmas trees, 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, three at the back, five at the back, whatever. Yesterday's team seems ot have worked OK; too much to hope that he leaves it be. :rolleyes:

Maybe not! The EEN reports that both Stack and Nish are quite doubtful for the Murderwell game, so Yogi may have to stick with the Blackpool formation.

So if these guys do the job again, he may just be persuaded to stick with what works!

We can always hope.:thumbsup:

Captain Trips
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
As nice as the Dutch system is or was the national team never won anything with some great players in the side. I think he has to have a good look at team and realise it is far from capable of anything like that, we have some good strengths and I think we should be looking at them in any formation or styles of play.

Andy74
09-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Are you telling me Man U always play a 442?

500miles
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Are teams in the SPL going to let us play our own game against them like Blackpool did? They didn't get in our faces, and gave us time on the ball, and regardless of what team we put out we always do well in those situations. Sadly, in the SPL we will be stopped from playing our own game, against the likes of St. Mirren, and that when Miller doesn't get the time he needs, Riordan doesn't get space in central areas, and the midfield looks lethargic. That's why we have players like Nish and Rankin who can play in these circumstances.

People seem to want Yogi to wake up to the realities of the SPL, and that his Dutch vision for the club is pie in the sky. Maybe a few of those same people need to wake themselves up to the fact that the SPL is full of grafters and bullies that have to be beaten at there own game at times.

sesoim
10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
As nice as the Dutch system is or was the national team never won anything with some great players in the side. I think he has to have a good look at team and realise it is far from capable of anything like that, we have some good strengths and I think we should be looking at them in any formation or styles of play.

They won the 1988 Euros. Although they did have Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard....

and we have Nish, Rankin, Stevenson....

Craig_in_Prague
10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Are teams in the SPL going to let us play our own game against them like Blackpool did? They didn't get in our faces, and gave us time on the ball, and regardless of what team we put out we always do well in those situations. Sadly, in the SPL we will be stopped from playing our own game, against the likes of St. Mirren, and that when Miller doesn't get the time he needs, Riordan doesn't get space in central areas, and the midfield looks lethargic. That's why we have players like Nish and Rankin who can play in these circumstances.

People seem to want Yogi to wake up to the realities of the SPL, and that his Dutch vision for the club is pie in the sky. Maybe a few of those same people need to wake themselves up to the fact that the SPL is full of grafters and bullies that have to be beaten at there own game at times.

What we really need is a team like under McLeish.
Some grafters, some with a bit dig, and no shortage of ball players.

Saying you can't play football in the SPL, Or that its just a league for hammer throwers, isn't really true in the slightest.
Celtic have played pretty nice football over the years, and as I said the football we played under McLeish was the balance we should be looking for.
OK some of the players are very difficult to find nowadays on the money we pay, but I'm glad we are at least trying to play football, otherwise we'd have a nice stadium with 7000 in it, playing kick n rush footy.

Dashing Bob S
10-08-2010, 07:53 PM
As much chance of Yogi leaving that team alone as Rix leaving an under 16 team alone.