PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame

Lucius Apuleius
09-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Not seen the inductees mentioned yet. Anybody agree with them all? Anybody else who should have been in the first batch?

EVERY member of Hibernian's revered Famous Five forward line are among the first batch of nominees for the club's new hall of fame, and will be inducted at a ceremony in October along with eight other celebrated players.

Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond were all obvious choices to be honoured as Hibs prepare to open the hall of fame to mark the club's 135th birthday.

The quintet, who helped Hibs to three league titles
ADVERTISEMENT, will be inducted alongside Arthur Duncan, Pat Stanton, Jackie McNamara, Joe Baker, Hibs' first Scottish Cup-winning captain James McGhee and the club's first-ever skipper Michael Whelahan. Harry Rennie - one of a select few players to win international honours as both an outfield player and a goalkeeper - has also been included, along with Hugh Shaw, who played for the club in the 1920s then served with distinction as manager between 1948 and 1961.

As well as those 13, Harry Swan and Sir Tom Farmer will enter the Hall of Fame for services to Hibernian FC.

Explaining the nomination of the club owners past and present, a statement on the Hibs website said: "Described as the architect of the modern Hibernian, Swan first became chairman in 1934, and under his stewardship over the next 30 years was at the forefront of many of football's innovations as well as the most successful period. Hibernian have ever experienced on the pitch."

Of Farmer, the club added: "Hailed as the saviour of Hibernian FC, Sir Tom rescued the club from extinction in 1990, just as his grandfather had saved the club from bankruptcy a hundred years earlier. He has overseen a period of growth and stability over the past 20 years, including the building of a state-of-the-art training facility, the formation of one of the game's most respected football academies and the complete redevelopment of Easter Road Stadium."

The inaugural nominees will be inducted into the hall of fame - and will later be commemorated in a permanent exhibition - at a gala dinner at Easter Road on 15 October

Hibs Class
09-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I had heard that the dinner itself was going to be held at the Corn Exchange

IFONLY
09-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I had heard that the dinner itself was going to be held at the Corn Exchange

Thats what I was led to believe as well.

Amsterdam
09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Both of you are correct about the Corn Exchange, 15th October. Grant Stott as host. I picked up a leaflet in the Hibs shop last week

--------
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Not seen the inductees mentioned yet. Anybody agree with them all? Anybody else who should have been in the first batch?

EVERY member of Hibernian's revered Famous Five forward line are among the first batch of nominees for the club's new hall of fame, and will be inducted at a ceremony in October along with eight other celebrated players.

Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond were all obvious choices to be honoured as Hibs prepare to open the hall of fame to mark the club's 135th birthday.

The quintet, who helped Hibs to three league titles
ADVERTISEMENT, will be inducted alongside Arthur Duncan, Pat Stanton, Jackie McNamara, Joe Baker, Hibs' first Scottish Cup-winning captain James McGhee and the club's first-ever skipper Michael Whelahan. Harry Rennie - one of a select few players to win international honours as both an outfield player and a goalkeeper - has also been included, along with Hugh Shaw, who played for the club in the 1920s then served with distinction as manager between 1948 and 1961.

As well as those 13, Harry Swan and Sir Tom Farmer will enter the Hall of Fame for services to Hibernian FC.

Explaining the nomination of the club owners past and present, a statement on the Hibs website said: "Described as the architect of the modern Hibernian, Swan first became chairman in 1934, and under his stewardship over the next 30 years was at the forefront of many of football's innovations as well as the most successful period. Hibernian have ever experienced on the pitch."

Of Farmer, the club added: "Hailed as the saviour of Hibernian FC, Sir Tom rescued the club from extinction in 1990, just as his grandfather had saved the club from bankruptcy a hundred years earlier. He has overseen a period of growth and stability over the past 20 years, including the building of a state-of-the-art training facility, the formation of one of the game's most respected football academies and the complete redevelopment of Easter Road Stadium."

The inaugural nominees will be inducted into the hall of fame - and will later be commemorated in a permanent exhibition - at a gala dinner at Easter Road on 15 October

I wouldn't argue with any of those names at all.

For future reference I would suggest Bobby Combe who played with the FF and was much under-rated then and now; Tommy Younger the goalie; and Jimmy Dunn, who was with us from 1920 to 1928. Jimmy was a late inclusion in the Scotland team to play England in 1928, a team that went on to win the match 5-1. Not many clubs have a Wembley Wizard in their history.

Another name that IMO should be considered is that of the late Kenny Maclean....

HibbyDave
09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Both of you are correct about the Corn Exchange, 15th October. Grant Stott as host. I picked up a leaflet in the Hibs shop last week

Saw the leaflet in BTG at the euro match. Discussion on what ground was featured in the photo- don't believe it's Easter Road. Any Thoughts?

Also the price for the hall of fame dinner at the corn exchange £80 Per person (including a HALF Bottle of wine):shocked:

cockneymike
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM

For future reference I would suggest Bobby Combe who played with the FF and was much under-rated then and now; Tommy Younger the goalie; and Jimmy Dunn, who was with us from 1920 to 1928. Jimmy was a late inclusion in the Scotland team to play England in 1928, a team that went on to win the match 5-1. Not many clubs have a Wembley Wizard in their history.

Another name that IMO should be considered is that of the late Kenny Maclean....

Unforunately not many recent players to add to the list though is there? From 1985 onwards - my time of watching Hibs - there are maybe 3 that you could JUST about see into the hall of fame. Sauzee, keith Wright, and Gordon Hunter; I can't think of anyone that deserves to be there other than them - from the last 25 years.

Maybe Deek if he keeps scoring 20 a year for another couple of seasons?

IanM
09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
albert kidd

--------
09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Unforunately not many recent players to add to the list though is there? From 1985 onwards - my time of watching Hibs - there are maybe 3 that you could JUST about see into the hall of fame. Sauzee, keith Wright, and Gordon Hunter; I can't think of anyone that deserves to be there other than them - from the last 25 years.

Maybe Deek if he keeps scoring 20 a year for another couple of seasons?

Franck and Keith certainly.

Though I think it's a good idea to let time pass before bringing someone into something like this, though. Even keep the numbers down to maybe 4 or 5 a year?

I think Shades AND Onion should qualify, Alan Gordon and Jim O'Rourke, too. Maybe eventually the whole of the Tornadoes team. There are also players from the 1960's I'd like to see recognised - Peter Cormack, for instance; BBJ too; and Joe Davis, captain and left-back who was an ever-present for (I think) three complete seasons? How's about Bobby Kinloch and Jackie Paterson? Maybe this could be a way of educating folks about the history of the club?

And then 5-10 years from now we could be looking at guys like Gordon Hunter and Pat McGinlay?

Any backers for Benny Brazil?

Dave P
09-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Andy Goram

Dave P
09-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Gordon Rae

Big Frank
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Jimmy McColl.

The cabbage got to some 3 cup finals in the early 20s, Jimmy playing (and I think) scoring for celtc against us in one of them.

He signed for hibs sometime in the 20s and was player coach right through to (again I think) the 1970s. 50odd years plus wi the cabbage.

Maybe not as well known as others, but IMO just as much an integral part of Hibernian in the twentieth century.

:hnet:

--------
09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Jimmy McColl.

The cabbage got to some 3 cup finals in the early 20s, Jimmy playing (and I think) scoring for celtc against us in one of them.

He signed for hibs sometime in the 20s and was player coach right through to (again I think) the 1970s. 50odd years plus wi the cabbage.

Maybe not as well known as others, but IMO just as much an integral part of Hibernian in the twentieth century.

:hnet:

Yup. Maybe John Fraser, too?

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Yup. Maybe John Fraser, too?

If Bobby Torrance isn't the first inductee, the whole thing is a sham.

cabbageandribs1875
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
what about that speed merchant big tony higgins :thumbsup:

Speedway
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I believe that there will be two rounds of inducteeism in the first year in order to beef it up a bit.

The second phase of nominees are:

Rough
Best
Cropley
O'Rourke
Schaedler
Blackley
Caughey
Hunter
Edwards
McQuilken

ALF TUPPER
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm nominating my father for his contribution to the Hibees..... :thumbsup:

Brought us all up on everything Hibs...... *and there are a few generations of us Hibbys now*. :agree:

Vewy vewy pwoud

:bye:

Big Frank
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I believe that there will be two rounds of inducteeism in the first year in order to beef it up a bit.

Rough
Best
Cropley
O'Rourke
Schaedler
Blackley
Caughey
Hunter
Edwards
McQuilken

Best in Hibernians hall of fame :faf: Hope no!

CropleyWasGod
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Any backers for Benny Brazil?

I hear Gok Wan is interested..

marinello59
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Best in Hibernians hall of fame :faf: Hope no!

I'd struggle a bit with that one too.

No mention of Des Bremner in the second phase of nominees? :confused:

sambajustice
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
The guy who skelped Andy Goram

Fixed that...

sambajustice
09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Just been reading the website with all the hall of famers info and I read the Lawrie Reilly one and it got me thinking...

it says "he's the clubs most capped player...."

But, how do you define a clubs most capped player? Is it the club he's at when he wins his first cap? His last cap? the majority of his caps? or does he have to win all his caps at the one club? if it was the last one there will be very few of those types of players around anymore!

Collins, Goram, Leighton all have way more caps. There will be a couple of others that have played for Hibs and won Scotland caps and have more than Reilly.

Miller! Jackson?

Can anyone clarify how you decide who is a clubs most capped player?

Speedway
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Just been reading the website with all the hall of famers info and I read the Lawrie Reilly one and it got me thinking...

it says "he's the clubs most capped player...."

But, how do you define a clubs most capped player? Is it the club he's at when he wins his first cap? His last cap? the majority of his caps? or does he have to win all his caps at the one club? if it was the last one there will be very few of those types of players around anymore!

Collins, Goram, Leighton all have way more caps. There will be a couple of others that have played for Hibs and won Scotland caps and have more than Reilly.

Miller! Jackson?

Can anyone clarify how you decide who is a clubs most capped player?

How many caps you got whilst at the club?

sambajustice
09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
How many caps you got whilst at the club?

Probably aye! :doh:

--------
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
what about that speed merchant big tony higgins :thumbsup:

Would anyone believe me if I nominated his striking partner Lardass Barrelguts? :cool2:

LeithBoozy
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
There was the tragic case of the player who died whist playing for us, surely he should be amongst the first batch of nominees to be honoured?

ginger_rice
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM

:agree::agree:

ginger_rice
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Rough
Best
Cropley
O'Rourke
Schaedler
Blackley
Caughey
Hunter
Edwards
McQuilken

Ach I thought you had a good idea there until I got near the bottom of the list. :doh:

harpo
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I think the most glaring omission from the list is most obviously our co-founder Canon Edward Joseph Hannan.

ano hibby
10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Willie Hamilton - not the longest serving but one of best players according to many from the time, including Jock Stein. Featured in some great European nights
..?

sambajustice
10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Ziggy Marley