PDA

View Full Version : Taking kids to matches...is it pointless if they're too young?

Pete
08-08-2010, 11:28 PM
...and what's the age that's considered "too young"?

I read on another thread that someone took a kid to a match that isn't even three yet. My son has just turned three and I wouldn't dream of taking him yet...the thought hadn't even entered my head!
He would get bored after five minutes and want to do something else. He would probably want to go to the toilet every five minutes or he might even keeck his breeks. He might even take a tantrum or start screaming for his mum/teddy/whatever he fancies that day that isn't at the game. I couldn't take my eye off him for one second or he'd probably bolt down the stairs out the exit or over a barrier. It would be a nightmare!

This is in no way criticising the guy who did take the bairn as it sounded like everyone had a good time and everyone makes their own judgements...but three is too young for me.

I was exposed to football at an early age but really can't remember any of it until I was about seven or eight....that's when it kicked in.

I remember to this day adults screaming and shouting and someone grabbing me by the hands and swinging me around the room. I later found out that was my mum and it was when Scotland beat Wales to reach the 1978 world cup finals....I wasn't even two.
I was taken to a reserve match against hearts at ER when I about five or six. The details I remember of that day were the flappy seats in the main stand, running along aisles and some men on the pitch below. I also remember having a birthday party at the hibs club but the main memories are playing star-wars under the table cloths.

The first memories of being at the match and actually realising what was going on didn't take place until I was eight or nine. The two matches that really grabbed my attention were a comeback against Clydebank at ER and the 1985 league cup final. The matches before or between them mean nothing to me as I can't really remember them.

The point is...is their really any point in taking bairns along to games when they are that young as the memories are hazy at best? Are you not better waiting until they are that little bit older so they can appreciate what's going on a bit more. Is it really fair to take a youngster who is going to want "something different" every fifteen minutes?

I suppose I can turn round and tell my son/grandchildren that I attended ER at a very young age and are therefore steeped in club history...but would I not have been just as well waiting until I knew what was going on? The result would have been the same because if you go to ER if you're two or nine you'll end up a hibee.

Does anyone actually have memories that they can recall of when they were very, very young that they can relate to Hibs?

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I went to matches with my Dad from about 5. I still remember playing football on the Hibs club dance floor with a tied up scarf:greengrin
I remember being bored rigid when i was in the main stand but ran about the puddles of p1sh when i was in the terracing.

I took my boy on his forth birthday (1-1 Aberdeen /Pat Stanton presenting something at HT) and he hated it. Refused to come back from the concourse at Half Time and said he just wanted to play with his new toys on his birthday:boo hoo:
It was an earie feeling walking away from ER at half time hearing the roar to greet Stanton on the pitch:boo hoo:

One year later he demanded a season ticket and has had one ever since :greengrin

vahibbie
09-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I was probably 5 when my Dad first started taking me. Can't remember too much about Saturday games but have vivid memories of ones under floodlights.
Wasn't to long after that a group of us "laddies" started going ourself. Didn't have much more than the bus fares there and back but them were the "gies a lift over mister" days. I'm pretty sure we spent a lot of time farting about on the giant east terracing rather than watch a lot of the game. Can't say such freedom would be advisable in this day and age.
I'm back next month for a few weeks and have been thinking about taking my 4 year old grandson:dunno:

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Think its no so much for their enjoyment - or even understanding - of it at an early age. Its to get their heids full of 'there is only one team under the sun that you are ever gonna follow' so that when they do get their first whiff of wanting to actually go watch football instead of just play it in the back garden that the Leith San Siro is the only place in their heads to go and do so.

Think of it countering the clever primary school marketing employed by hearts [and that should be getting done by hibs!]

RickyS
09-08-2010, 12:45 AM

I read on another thread that someone took a kid to a match that isn't even three yet. My son has just turned three and I wouldn't dream of taking him yet...the thought hadn't even entered my head!
He would get bored after five minutes and want to do something else. He would probably want to go to the toilet every five minutes or he might even keeck his breeks. He might even take a tantrum or start screaming for his mum/teddy/whatever he fancies that day that isn't at the game. I couldn't take my eye off him for one second or he'd probably bolt down the stairs out the exit or over a barrier. It would be a nightmare!

This is in no way criticising the guy who did take the bairn as it sounded like everyone had a good time and everyone makes their own judgements...but three is too young for me.

I was exposed to football at an early age but really can't remember any of it until I was about seven or eight....that's when it kicked in.

I remember to this day adults screaming and shouting and someone grabbing me by the hands and swinging me around the room. I later found out that was my mum and it was when Scotland beat Wales to reach the 1978 world cup finals....I wasn't even two.
I was taken to a reserve match against hearts at ER when I about five or six. The details I remember of that day were the flappy seats in the main stand, running along aisles and some men on the pitch below. I also remember having a birthday party at the hibs club but the main memories are playing star-wars under the table cloths.

The first memories of being at the match and actually realising what was going on didn't take place until I was eight or nine. The two matches that really grabbed my attention were a comeback against Clydebank at ER and the 1985 league cup final. The matches before or between them mean nothing to me as I can't really remember them.

The point is...is their really any point in taking bairns along to games when they are that young as the memories are hazy at best? Are you not better waiting until they are that little bit older so they can appreciate what's going on a bit more. Is it really fair to take a youngster who is going to want "something different" every fifteen minutes?

I suppose I can turn round and tell my son/grandchildren that I attended ER at a very young age and are therefore steeped in club history...but would I not have been just as well waiting until I knew what was going on? The result would have been the same because if you go to ER if you're two or nine you'll end up a hibee.

Does anyone actually have memories that they can recall of when they were very, very young that they can relate to Hibs?

I have two boys age 8 & 6 and my six year old is showing signs of interest but was bored at the dunfermline game, my 8 year old hates it. it may be shallow, but I would be upset if neither ended up going to the games with their old man:boo hoo:

Pete
09-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Think its no so much for their enjoyment - or even understanding - of it at an early age. Its to get their heids full of 'there is only one team under the sun that you are ever gonna follow' so that when they do get their first whiff of wanting to actually go watch football instead of just play it in the back garden that the Leith San Siro is the only place in their heads to go and do so.

Think of it countering the clever primary school marketing employed by hearts [and that should be getting done by hibs!]

I'm not sure the primary school marketing thing works at all. You can be taken to any game by anyone but I think your guidance in who you support is governed by who you actually go to games with when you are at that impressionable age.

During the eighties I was taken to more Hearts games by my neighbour than hibs games by my dad and his mates from the docks. I probably saw better atmospheres, better games and better footballing moments at Tynecastle...but Easter Road always felt like home because my dad took me there.

To quote Jose Mourinho...Easter Road is my house!

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure the primary school marketing thing works at all. You can be taken to any game by anyone but I think your guidance in who you support is governed by who you actually go to games with when you are at that impressionable age.

During the eighties I was taken to more Hearts games by my neighbour than hibs games by my dad and his mates from the docks. I probably saw better atmospheres, better games and better footballing moments at Tynecastle...but Easter Road always felt like home because my dad took me there.

To quote Jose Mourinho...Easter Road is my house!

I see your point but there are also a lot of people who start off going to games just with their mates rather than 'being taken' by Dad or whoever. That was the case for me and its just lucky it was Hibs because until then I had never been to any other match or followed any other team apart from WC's on TV.

Think we have to cover ALL the bases to get the maximum number of future Hibs fans through our gates...

HibeesLA
09-08-2010, 05:42 AM
I went to matches with my Dad from about 5. I still remember playing football on the Hibs club dance floor with a tied up scarf:greengrin

Having to move the games that were in the room, and using the pillar in the middle of the room as one of the posts? I remember those games well :thumbsup:

My son always wants to go to games. I've taken him to a Chivas USA game here in LA at the age of 5, and he loved it. Can't wait to get the chance to take him to E.R.

MrHibs1982
09-08-2010, 05:55 AM
I guess i got lucky, Mum and Dad are unfortunately Yams but never put any pressure on me to support them or anyone. Think my choice of supporting Hibs was from the school playground i guess but my dad (not every week) would still take me to some Hibs games and i think his snidey comments for 90 minutes about us being pish and a slagging from my mum if we got beat only made me want to support the Hibs more.

So maybe i just supported them to get at my parents, who knows but I am a hibby now and i will be til i die!!:thumbsup:

Titch
09-08-2010, 06:57 AM
My 11, 5 & 4 year old daughters have all got season tickets this year as i was sick of them crying to come when i left the house to go on a sat so i started to take them to the odd game last season and they love it if anyone thinks my girls are too young to go to the football i'll meet you in behind the goals when i get back and you can tell them :wink:
ps good luck :thumbsup:

kennyh
09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I was also concerned about takiny my lad and it was fine. Living in Hamilton now I decided to take him to Accies Clyde when they won promotion and he was 3 1/2. He liked it although the atmosphere was a bit too noisy for him at that stage.

Since then he has been to Easter Rd and with me on a few away trips, he was in Bolton and LOVED it and was not bothered by the atmosphere in fact on the way home he said that was the best bit with everyone shouting. You do need to be able to quickly deflect the questions about what did that man say or what are those people singing. Its amazing how he believes that there are 100 ways to say Come on Hibees !!!

Now when he talks about going with me to see Hibees (OK Accies as well) his sister wants to come too and I am bringing her to the Callie or Accies game next month, she is now 3 1/2. Fingers crossed she likes it as well then there are no argumemts going forward what we do on a Saturday....

Take a chance ~ Get the family along at an early age and get them hooked.
Just make sure you take enough juice / crisps etc.

jdships
09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Interesting thread !
My take is that when I was small we were interested in football mainly because we kicked a ball around almost every given moment ( even in the dark under street lights).
There were no distractions like TV, video games , etc., and we knew very little about Hibs/Hearts/Leith Athletic/St Bernards except listening tochat at home.
Then one day my uncle , who had played at ER, said " like to go to ER ? " - and that was it !!!
I was eight at my first game , my son was nine and my daughter sixteen ( George Best's first game) .
One g'son went at nine and the other who is coming up nine will be starting out this year.
Don't think there is a "right age" to start but personally kinda feel that seven/eight is about right .
Some children have no interest in sport at all possibly given they are entrenched in "video game technbology " .
Others pick it up when they start to play at nine/ten at school
As I have said often : when did you last see youngsters having a "take on" in Inverleith Park, Leith Links , Victoria Park , wherever ?
:greengrin

matty_f
09-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I took my both my son and daughter to their first games when they were three, and they were ok because we'd planned ahead and had taken stuff for when they got distracted (which was a lot!).

It was a Hibs Kids game, so we were sat in the South with other Hibs Kids, and that helped ease them into it. I've take my son more often now (he's seven this week) and he's Hibs daft.

I would say it depends on two things - how your child is, and how prepared you are to miss sizeable chunks of the game to keep the child occupied.

Hibbyradge
09-08-2010, 08:09 AM
"Give me the child till the age of seven and I will give you the man."

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
As I have said often : when did you last see youngsters having a "take on" in Inverleith Park, Leith Links , Victoria Park , wherever ?

And that is one of the reasons why its going to get so much harder in years to come to get a good team out of home-grown players. Too many kids never get off their couches these days unfortunately.

HFC 0-7
09-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I think Hibs expect very young children to be coming to the matches. When I was there on thrusday on the FF, when you are going up the steps to enter the pitch side there is a door which has baby changing facilities above it!

marinello59
09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
What age is considered too young? I think that is down to the individual kid.

My Grandparents took me to football on a regular basis from a young age. Not Easter Road unfortunately, the rather more agricultural delights of Victoria Park in Buckie was where I caught the match attending bug. I was living with my Grandparents at the time so I would have been three or four years old at most. I still have vivid memories of standing in what seemed like a huge crowd to me at the time. (Although probably only a couple of hundred at most.:greengrin) Given my age I can't remember very much from that point in my life so it must have made quite an impression on me.
My own wee lad went to his first match when he was four and much to my delight he actually watched it, even complaining that the half time break was too long. Basically if they enjoy it then they are old enough.

matty_f
09-08-2010, 08:18 AM
And that is one of the reasons why its going to get so much harder in years to come to get a good team out of home-grown players. Too many kids never get off their couches these days unfortunately.

Think there's a bigger issue behind that one. Probably not for this thread, but the impact of drugs and alcohol are one of the biggest reasons (IMHO) why kids aren't out playing as often these days, IMHO.

I live in a nice area, but heard the other day from a family friend that their eight year old son was punched in the face (and now sports a black eye along with some serious confidence issues) by an eighteen year old off his face. What did he get the punch for? Walking past.:bitchy:

You only need to watch The Scheme to see how vulnerable young people are these days to these b***ards that peddle drugs etc.

I think it's too easy to say that the kids need to get off their backsides and play more football (or even play more) but as a parent I can honestly say that I'm very weary of exposing my kids to that.

hibees_green
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
...He would get bored after five minutes and want to do something else. He would probably want to go to the toilet every five minutes or he might even keeck his breeks. He might even take a tantrum or start screaming for his mum/teddy/whatever he fancies that day that isn't at the game. I couldn't take my eye off him for one second or he'd probably bolt down the stairs out the exit or over a barrier...

Doesn't sound that much different than some of the adults I've sat next to:greengrin

marinello59
09-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Think there's a bigger issue behind that one. Probably not for this thread, but the impact of drugs and alcohol are one of the biggest reasons (IMHO) why kids aren't out playing as often these days, IMHO.

I live in a nice area, but heard the other day from a family friend that their eight year old son was punched in the face (and now sports a black eye along with some serious confidence issues) by an eighteen year old off his face. What did he get the punch for? Walking past.:bitchy:

You only need to watch The Scheme to see how vulnerable young people are these days to these b***ards that peddle drugs etc.

I think it's too easy to say that the kids need to get off their backsides and play more football (or even play more) but as a parent I can honestly say that I'm very weary of exposing my kids to that.

Interesting point. As parents we are much more protective than previous generations of parents were as our perception is that a much greater threat to their welfare exists than when we were kids ourselves. I've read articles where that has been 'proved' not to be the case. It's hard to accept that though when the media bombards us with evidence to the contrary. My wee lad is rarely outside the house on his own yet at his age I was never in. Maybe that's a major reason why we don't see crowds of kids doing the jumpers for goalposts thing very much now.

StevieC
09-08-2010, 08:29 AM
My dad wasn't interested in football and I had to wait till I was 10 before my mum took me to my first game (1976 cup v Motherwell, 1-1 Stanton).

Took my daughter and son to games from about the age of 3. Daughter is more interested in doing girly things on a Saturday now, but she's still a Hibby and enjoys the Hibs Kids games.

Also, bear in mind, that it's not just 90 minutes of football .. it's quality time with your kids that they'll remember in years to come. Put the effort in to make it a full day, not just a trip to the football.

On a trip to the Falkirk stadium I went through early and took the laddie on the Falkirk Wheel and stopped off for a pizza meal on the way home. There's a swimming pool at the bottom of Easter Road the kids enjoy for a pre-match splash around. It's never too early to start doing that sort of thing with your kids.

:agree:

CallumLaidlaw
09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I took my stepson to his first couple of games this year and he is 5. I took some advice from people on here and made it a real "day out" for him. We got the train from rosyth, then I took him to the hibs shop where he picked a flag and a hibs teddy.
We then went to behind the goals where he had a great time running about playing with the other kids.
His favourite part of the game was the pizza at half time ;)
At the game he was ok although kept following the scoreboard to see how long till half time, but he did keep shouting for the hibees, cheered when we scored and now knows the words to "we are Hibernian FC...."
most importantly, he wants to go back. I got him a season ticket this year, but will avoid taking him to hearts and old firm games for now

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Have to say I disagree with this one.

When I was a kid I lived in one of what would be regarded as the worst schemes here and that was back in the heyday of smack in the late 70's early 80's. We all played football in the back greens, plots of land, concrete squares - basically anywhere we could - all day long until it was too dark to see the ball. Only grief we ever got was from hitting people's windows wi' the ball! :wink:

I don't agree that drink and drugs play a bigger role now than they did then - if anything, young adults and certainly parents are far more aware of the danger from drink and drugs particularly than the generation before. Witness that less kids now start smoking whereas in my day, if you didn't you were the odd one out. For me, encouraging our kids to get out and take a more active part in sports is something that would discourage them to get involved in drugs. I think its just too easy to say society has crumbled and its not safe to let our bairns out and I say that too as a parent.

lucky
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
My first recollection of going to ER with my Dad was a Hibs v Rangers game 1976/1977. It was chaos. Trouble all over the old terracing. I was 8/9. Been to games earlier but no real memories except Hugh Spoart the Ayr Utd goalie with massive hair. :greengrin

I have taken my daughter since she was about 6 but she was interested in getting a day out with her Dad. That being said she did get a ST for one season when she was 14. But now shops have a greater appeal.

This season I have taken my nephew he is 7 and loves it. His Dad is a jambo but he is Hibs daft. Cos his pals at school go to games with there Dads. So I see it as my duty to ensure he is not swayed by his Dad. But I would not want to take him every week as it does spoil my day out.

--------
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Short answer, Peter, NO, absolutely no point at all taking a kid to a match when all they're going to do is get bored and spoil your enjoyment and the enjoyment of everyone else around them.

Earliest Hibs -related memory for me is of my Dad coming back from a Cup-tie at Tynie in a state of altered consciousness over the exploits of one Joe Baker - he didn't stop talking about JB or draw breath for about three days. That was the 4-3 when Joe scored all four of our goals. I was about 8 at the time. I wasn't at the game, but I take you through it kick by kick, goal by goal, in exquisite and glorious detail. It was like the old lad was on LSD.... :greengrin

I took my son to ER for the first time the day before his ninth birthday - at his own request, to see Gordon Rae's testimonial against Manchester United. Even then I had to have a grown-up mate with me to help keep an eye on him, and if anything had happened to him, SWMBO would have made dog-meat of me. His behaviour, however, was impeccable.

I've had the exquisitely irritating experience (haven't we all?) of sitting in front of one of those wee kids - I want a Coke, I want a Big Mac, I wantae pee, I want ma Mammy, what does f***in b****** mean, Dad - and I'd really rather not repeat it, thank you.

Keep 'em at home until they're old enough to suffer with the rest of us.

jdships
09-08-2010, 09:44 AM

You've hit the nail etc as they say !!!!:thumbsup:
That and the obsession of getting 12 year olds tied up with clubs.
Slightly off topic - sorry
I was told yesterday of a 12 year old , from Edinburgh, who , with his team, played in a "challenge match" in west of Scotalnd on Saturday .
Round trip of 150 miles .
Had been told at end of May, by his coach " .......dinae overdue the fitba this summer we need you fit for Auguat "
To be followed by on Saturday by
" dinae bother wi' yer mates playing in the park , ye'll get aw the fitba you need with us " !!!!!!!!
His family are Hibbees and I asked the lad if he went to ER " .... been involved with this team since I was ten and so only been a couple of times " !!!!
What happened to "growing up" , what happened to the fun days as a young laddie ?
Ah michty me !

gilliecabbage
09-08-2010, 09:45 AM
my sons 1st game was against gretna in the scottish cup.we wer in the south stand.won 3-1 or 3-0.he was cumin up for 3.hes been to hampden, tynie, ibrox, tannadice, dens park, starks park and blackpool since.chips n hot chocolate are daddies best friend

LancashireHibby
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Guessing the original post is aimed at myself as I took my lad to the game yesterday - the main reason I took him was that I wasn't able to get anyone to look after him for the day so if he didn't go to the game then neither did I! The fact that it means he's now got his first game out of the way (obviously a rare opportunity as there's no chance I'm taking him to ER for a few years yet) was a bonus. He did watch the odd bit of the game (the rest of the time spent munching his way through a picnic or flicking thruogh a Spiderman comic) and enjoyed watching and listening to the crowd, so I'm sure it'll make it easier in future years if he's already used to the crowd and the noise etc.

Like I say, it wasn't a completely pre-meditated decision to take him to the game as I didn't really have much chance of getting a 'pass out' without him having been away from Thursday morning to Friday night for the Maribor home leg!

--------
09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
You've hit the nail etc as they say !!!!:thumbsup:
That and the obsession of getting 12 year olds tied up with clubs.
Slightly off topic - sorry
I was told yesterday of a 12 year old , from Edinburgh, who , with his team, played in a "challenge match" in west of Scotalnd on Saturday .
Round trip of 150 miles .
Had been told at end of May, by his coach " .......dinae overdue the fitba this summer we need you fit for Auguat "
To be followed by on Saturday by
" dinae bother wi' yer mates playing in the park , ye'll get aw the fitba you need with us " !!!!!!!!
His family are Hibbees and I asked the lad if he went to ER " .... been involved with this team since I was ten and so only been a couple of times " !!!!
What happened to "growing up" , what happened to the fun days as a young laddie ?
Ah michty me !

IIRC juvenile teams and schools teams used to play Saturday mornings, and the kids could go to matches in the afternoon. Or play again with their mates in the park.

Someone needs to tell that coach that football isn't a career or a need - it's something kids do because they enjoy it. Yes they need coaching and organised games, but they also need to be able to let their imaginations run when they're on the field. We all had our heroes in my day - one guy was Denis Law, another was Jim Baxter, another guy was Danny Blanchflower, and so on... Silly, but it's part of growing up, and it's also part of becoming a football fan and a lover of the game.

TamHibs
09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I took my son to his first game when he was 10 months....

It was the Dunfermline semi at Hampden. He loved seeing a mass load of people in one place and was smiling at everyone. He's just turned 4 and whenever he hears anything to do with hibs he cheers like we've scored a goal.

At the end of the day it's best to take them whenever you feel they are ready. I know my wee boy who as I said before is 4 year old sits beside me or his grandad and only goes to the toilet at half time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gettin' Auld
I think Hibs expect very young children to be coming to the matches. When I was there on thrusday on the FF, when you are going up the steps to enter the pitch side there is a door which has baby changing facilities above it!

If the "baby changing facilities" are above the door, how do you get inside? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
Very interesting thread folks, no kids as far as I know, so can't really comment, apart from the fact that it is good to see a thread where nobody has slagged off Hibs for a change!

Hibs07p
09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Interesting thread !
My take is that when I was small we were interested in football mainly because we kicked a ball around almost every given moment ( even in the dark under street lights).
There were no distractions like TV, video games , etc., and we knew very little about Hibs/Hearts/Leith Athletic/St Bernards except listening tochat at home.....

...As I have said often : when did you last see youngsters having a "take on" in Inverleith Park, Leith Links , Victoria Park , wherever ?
:greengrin

Bangor Road and Breadalbane street were our "floodlit pitches" and Pilrig park and Bonnington playground during daylight hours, all day, every day during school holidays. Take ons were arranged with other kids, and we even travelled to away venues like Keddie Gardens or Victoria Park, sometimes the links. We even had home made nets aquired from Newhaven harbour. Football (Hibs) were always on a Saturday, Pubs weren't open on Sundays, but public parks were awash with players of all ages playing 10 / 21 and sometimes up to 15 a side. Aye, those were the days.

Cammy
09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I think that the Hibs Kids is a great way of easing your kids into the games. I wasn't sure how my 5 year old daughter would be at the footie so thought, well she's getting 4 games in a season for a tenner it doesn't matter if we have to leave at half time. That was last season and she loved it, especially when we hammered Hamilton, and stayed to the end each time.

Unfortunately she now wants to go to every game and was crying because I didn't get her a ticket for the Maribor game. It was me that was crying when I got back from it. :boo hoo:

Every child is different and the only way to find out is try them and see.:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Aye, those were indeed the days! footy for about 10 hrs a day without any metatarsal injuries etc! The big grass area at st cuthberts school was the ideal size for a footy pitch, with a wee game of cricket thrown in if there was a test match on the telly!

StevieC
09-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Short answer, Peter, NO .. I've had the exquisitely irritating experience (haven't we all?) of sitting in front of one of those wee kids - I want a Coke, I want a Big Mac, I wantae pee, I want ma Mammy, what does f***in b****** mean, Dad - and I'd really rather not repeat it, thank you. Keep 'em at home until they're old enough to suffer with the rest of us.

Short answer, YES .. making sure they behave and don't annoy those around them.

Bit harsh to put all those that take kids into the examples you mention above. I make sure my kids behave at the football and I'm aware of how their behaviour might affect others.

And, as I've said, there is more to the day than the 90 minutes of football. I've found so far that the years between 4 and 8 are, without doubt, the best years to be spending as much time as possible with your kids.

--------
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Short answer, YES .. making sure they behave and don't annoy those around them.

Bit harsh to put all those that take kids into the examples you mention above. I make sure my kids behave at the football and I'm aware of how their behaviour might affect others.

And, as I've said, there is more to the day than the 90 minutes of football. I've found so far that the years between 4 and 8 are, without doubt, the best years to be spending as much time as possible with your kids.

Totally agree with you, Stevie - provided the parents do what you do and control the situation.

I know there are youngsters who seem to take to the occasion immediately and cause no bother.

There are others, unfortunately, who don't, and those kids shouldn't be brought back until they ARE of an age to enjoy it.

And equally unfortunately, there are a lot of parents who can sit totally oblivious for 2 hours while the evil sprog they've inflicted on the world makes everyone around them miserable.

These parents and their children I have encountered at ER, at the cinema, at the supermarket, and at my place of work.

Also in the library and once at the National Gallery at an art exhibition. Haemorrhoids, the lot of 'em. :grr:

And I would also say that I've encountered alleged "adults" behaving far worse than any kid. Sad people who seem to be trying to justify their presence on earth through their allegiance to a football team - and losing it totally when that team plays badly. :rolleyes:

Titch
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I know there are youngsters who seem to take to the occasion immediately and cause no bother.

There are others, unfortunately, who don't, and those kids shouldn't be brought back until they ARE of an age to enjoy it.

And equally unfortunately, there are a lot of parents who can sit totally oblivious for 2 hours while the evil sprog they've inflicted on the world makes everyone around them miserable.

These parents and their children I have encountered at ER, at the cinema, at the supermarket, and at my place of work. Also in the library and once at the National Gallery at an art exhibition. Haemorrhoids, the lot of 'em. :grr:

Totally agree with you, Stevie - provided the parents do what you do and control the situation.

As I've said, my guy has never stepped out of line at the football - in fact, he's the one who keeps ME in order these days.

i've encountered a lot more miserable old people at the football than i have kids so the same could be said for the top end of the scale i however think ANYONE who wishes to go to the football should be ABLE to go to the football and if someone is happy with their child asking for mummy etc.. then thats their business EACH TO THEIR OWN:wink:

Bishop Hibee
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
First game I remember was away to East Fife, the game after the 0-7 match. Must have just turned 7. Vivid memories of Alan Gordon leaping like a salmon to head the only goal of the game.

I took my own 3 boys to their first games around their 4th birthdays. Fine for the 2 who have summer birthdays, not so great for the 1 with a December birthday. Bloomin' freezing!

I'd recommend mild weather and a big bag of sweets although by 4 they were able to watch the game and know what was going on.

Although my 3 are Hibees they are more into other pursuits e.g. music, rock climbing, cycling, swimming. I share an under 15 ST with a mate and our kids take turns about which works well.

As someone who didn't start going to games regularly until I started working and could afford it, there's plenty time for them to get really hooked.

--------
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
i've encountered a lot more miserable old people at the football than i have kids so the same could be said for the top end of the scale i however think ANYONE who wishes to go to the football should be ABLE to go to the football and if someone is happy with their child asking for mummy etc.. then thats their business EACH TO THEIR OWN:wink:

What you suggesting?????? :cool2:

I am a little ray of sunshine when I go to ER.

I am the original sunshine on Leith, I'll have you know.

Sweetness and light personified, in fact. :greengrin

Seriously, I think when there IS a problem for kids and their parents at a football match, it's because a football stadium isn't exactly a child-friendly environment.

Also some parents don't exactly think things through before they bring the kids. A dad who's focussed on the football and ignoring the child beside him isn't actually doing the kid any favours.

But you're right - we need to cater for the youngsters regardless of how we feel or what went on in the "good old days" if we're going to build a secure future for the club. Which means more children, more family groups, more women and a happier and friendlier atmosphere at games.

We have 21,000 seats in the stadium now. It would be nice if maybe eventually we reach the point where a few away fans sitting quietly in the West Upper could do so without attracting hostility and possible abuse....

I'll endeavour to curb my inner Victor Meldrew and welcome the presence of children around me this season. At least until we're relegated.

Titch
09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
What you suggesting?????? :cool2:

I am a little ray of sunshine when I go to ER.

I am the original sunshine on Leith, I'll have you know.

Sweetness and light personified, in fact. :greengrin

Seriously, I think when there IS a problem for kids and their parents at a football match, it's because a football stadium isn't exactly a child-friendly environment.

Also some parents don't exactly think things through before they bring the kids. A dad who's focussed on the football and ignoring the child beside him isn't actually doing the kid any favours.

But you're right - we need to cater for the youngsters regardless of how we feel or what went on in the "good old days" if we're going to build a secure future for the club. Which means more children, more family groups, more women and a happier and friendlier atmosphere at games.

We have 21,000 seats in the stadium now. It would be nice if maybe eventually we reach the point where a few away fans sitting quietly in the West Upper could do so without attracting hostility and possible abuse....

I'll endeavour to curb my inner Victor Meldrew and welcome the presence of children around me this season. At least until we're relegated.
:agree::top marks

wasn't a personal dig at you mate just giving my opinion.

Jay
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Scott was 6 the first time I took him to ER. I made sure we had aisle seats (as I do everytime I take the kids anywhere) so that if he was getting up and down for the toilet, juice etc he wouldn't bother anybody. Its a lot to ask a small child to sit in the freezing cold watching a football game with 10000 adults shouting and (hopefully) cheering.

What age they should go depends on the child themselves. I'd say if you are doing it for you then dont. If you think they would enjoy it and are doing it for them then give it a try. If they dont enjoy it it doesn't mean they never will. Choose the game with a bit of sense. An OF game or a derby isn't the best first experience for a timid 3 year old but could be an amazing experience for an outgoing 6 year old.

smack
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I took both my sons to Easter Road when they were only 2.

It is a parents duty to brainwash their children to ensure that the only team they will ever support is the hibees. :greengrin

Tinker1875
09-08-2010, 11:50 AM
My 5 year old girl has a season ticket and has done since she was 3, she loves going to games home and away.
My daughter took a keen interest in football at a early age and enjoys going to games and having a pie at half time and cheering on Hibs :)

I dont think any age is too young, just depends on the child i guess, some kids are into football at a early age and some just get bored :):thumbsup:

--------
09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
:agree::top marks

wasn't a personal dig at you mate just giving my opinion.

I know. :greengrin

I think we all have horror stories of finding ourselves trapped somewhere surrounded by the Family From Hell. Equally, I have memories of people who found it incredibly hard to understand that children are entitled to be part of the community and that THEY should make allowances accordingly.

One thought I have is tha this is where a couple of big screens would be useful at ER, as well as a much more professional approach to music and PA. We could learn a lot from the likes of ice hockey, IMO, about the way to present the game to a mixed audience. Kids love music, and good visuals can catch their imagination very easily.

Grizz
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Eagerly looking forward to taking the wee man to ER for the first time, but I'd rather it be something for him to remember and want to go to regularly, so I'm holding off til he's about 4 or 5 yrs (currently 9 months auld, so a wee bit to go!).

Got vague memories of my old boy (a some-time Falkirk supporter) taking me along to the old Brockvile and Stenny's grounds in the pshing rain when I was a wee boy and I think I liked the pies & scary atmosphere more than the actual fitbaw (That goes without saying I guess, given the grounds I mentioned! :greengrin).

basehibby
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I took my daughter to her first game when she was 3 - she did enjoy it but a young kid's attention span is very limited so you will more than likely find yourself distracted from the game as your kid demands attention.

Best way to counteract this is if you can team up with a mate with a similar aged kid - that way they can entertain each other while you and your mate enjoy the game. Also it's a good plan to take em to a Hibs Kids game (yer kid gets two free games a season for £10 membership) as the atmosphere tends to be a bit less sweary.

If you decide to take em to a derby or OF match then don't blame the punters around you for turning the air blue - your responsibility as it's to be expected in these fixtures.

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
On the flip-side, when I first started going the fare on offer was so poor [Blackley/Miller] that it probably would've constituted child abuse if someone older was making me go... :wink:

As I was dragging myself along in the pishing rain however, it was all OK! :thumbsup: