PDA

View Full Version : Would you have Tony mowbray back???

banarc7062
08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
With all the anger pointed at Yogi would you consider a return by Tony Mowbray?
He would now have the Training facilities he always craved and he had us playing some attractive football using our younger players to good effect. Those dienchanted by Yogi could do worse than consider Mobray's return.
GGTTH

calumhibee1
08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
He would now have the Training facilities he always craved and he had us playing some attractive football using our younger players to good effect. Those dienchanted by Yogi could do worse than consider Mobray's return.
GGTTH
In a flash if we were looking for a manager. The football was a joy to watch. :agree:

jst1875
08-08-2010, 11:14 AM
previously ........... :bitchy:

lately .......... :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
08-08-2010, 11:19 AM
In a flash if we were looking for a manager. The football was a joy to watch. :agree:

Exactly what I was about to type. The question is whether Mowbray would be tempted to come back with the current squad? One of the things that brought him to Hibs was the youngsters we had at the time.

I wonder if he can be bothered working with some of the jaded pros. we have turning out for us at the moment?

johnbc70
08-08-2010, 11:20 AM
His 'huddle' in the middle of the pitch at ER when his Celtic came and won 1-0 at the start of last
season really put me off him. But would I take him back now over Yogi? Probably but that is more
of the fact I think Hughes is not up to the job rather than a great desire to get Mowbray back.

I have always been of the view a club like Hibs should be appointing young, hungry managers but
perhaps we need an 'old hand' in charge for a few years to bring back some stability.

Richard Scott
08-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt

Ray_
08-08-2010, 11:33 AM

:thumbsup:

snooky
08-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd rather have the Luftwaffe back than TM.

hibsdownunder
08-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I have always been of the view a club like Hibs should be appointing young, hungry managers but
perhaps we need an 'old hand' in charge for a few years to bring back some stability.[/QUOTE]

Michael O'Neil................

Mikeystewart
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
in an instant. for all his flaws he knew how to lay a team out and make them play to win and win well. Those where the days when i was counting down the hours to kick off.:boo hoo:

Viva_Palmeiras
08-08-2010, 12:42 PM
For as much as I admired his stewardship and some of the signings results and the philosophy
Tony will live by his principles perhaps to a fault
And for any potential new suitors heed the
When opportunity calls answer at the first ring

snooky
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
in an instant. for all his flaws he knew how to lay a team out and make them play to win and win well. Those where the days when i was counting down the hours to kick off.:boo hoo:

Hibs v Dundee Untd semi-final? :cool2:

SloopJB
08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it would be an outrageous spend to have two managers in the dugout, plus, surely management decisions would complicated if two managers were making them

Littlest Hobo
08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
NAW! Remembering that the heart of his team were kids that came through from the youth set up like Thommo, Brown and Whitty. Not to mention O'Conner and Riorden. Yes he made one or two decent signings but we never really set the heather on fire with him at the healm. Anyone remember a certain semi final?:bitchy:

cad
08-08-2010, 01:05 PM
"I need to get out of the goldfish bowl of the SPL "
,dont get me wrong we played some cracking football under Tony but I think hes went backwards since leaving us .
Cant understand why he left West Brom who wanted him to stay ,and join the unwashed ,where if the truth be told he spent a fortune and made a complete fanny of it ,so no I wouldn't take Tony M back

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 01:15 PM
F*** Tony Mowbray !

He was lucky at Hibs. Blobby had blooded most of the youngsters before TM arrived.

No thanks.

M11BMO
08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Yes, I'd rather have him than Yogi...

greenlex
08-08-2010, 01:26 PM
If he came back I wouldn't be disappointed but we need an older head at the minute IMHO.

RickyS
08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
His 'huddle' in the middle of the pitch at ER when his Celtic came and won 1-0 at the start of last
season really put me off him. But would I take him back now over Yogi? Probably but that is more
of the fact I think Hughes is not up to the job rather than a great desire to get Mowbray back.

perhaps we need an 'old hand' in charge for a few years to bring back some stability.

the huddle angered me to be honest, he showed us as fans and a club complete disrespect that day. he said it was to show the fans unity after a hard game, if i remember right they had a fair few hard games but he never joined the huddle again.
so its a no from me:grr:

col02
08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
No thank you as the defence would be worse than it is at the moment with him in charge. I find the irony quite astonishing that many would welcome Mowbray back a man who walked out for a bigger job and salary yet in a similiar thread Thomson would never be welcomed back for doing the same as Mowbray.

sahib
08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
F*** Tony Mowbray !

He was lucky at Hibs. Blobby had blooded most of the youngsters before TM arrived.

No thanks.

Sometimes think we get the managers that some of us deserve.

Hibby Kate
08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
F*** Tony Mowbray !

No thanks.

:agree:

Vini1875
08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I'd rather have John Collins back if we are going to look all misty eyed into the past. I think it would be hard to listen to TM after some of the things he said and then went back on. I think his time at celtc showed that he is not a manager who handles pressure well.

George Burley would be a better shout for the Hibs job, I'm sure he would love to get it right up vlad.

The football aside Yogi has faired not much worse than anyone else at Hibs and I think he will get at least this season to prove his value, so all this talk of new managers etc is premature IMHO

IWasThere2016
08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Yes - we'd get some very decent football again :thumbsup:

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 02:13 PM
GGTTH

Definately, my only worry would be how much being at Celtic hurt his confidence. This will never happen though. Hibs next manager should be someone with experience. Im sick of bringing in people because they were an ex player or whatever. Imean Mowbray was a massive gamble that paid off in the first place, I wasnt too happy when he signed, but I thought wed have learnt our lesson from Collins yet Mixu and Hughes have came since.

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Sometimes think we get the managers that some of us deserve.

Some of us ?
What manager do you deserve Sahib ?

yekimevol
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
i a heart beat, imaging with the squad we have just now. with a manager who can get us playing fast flowing attacking football with width !!!!!!

brown
hart, bamba, stephens (mogga never really played hogg), murray(C)
wortherspoon, miller, de graff, galbraith
riordan, stokes

mogga likes wide midfielders and on our new bigger pitch it makes sence

BEEJ
08-08-2010, 03:23 PM
F*** Tony Mowbray !

No thanks.
I'm sure you're not inferring that hypothetically you would welcome back Bobby W in preference to TM as manager. :greengrin :tee hee:

You're not, are you?? :confused: :no way:

Hibercelona
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
TM was good at Hibs because we had a good team.

He would do nothing with this crop of s***e IMO.

Black Kyle
08-08-2010, 04:02 PM
If anyone was to come back, it would have to be JC for me. The Bible apparently says he's gonna do that
sometime anyway? :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
F*** Tony Mowbray !

No thanks.

Yes.

Hibs On Tour
08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Not unless he's learned how to set-up a defence sometime between leaving Hibs and now, evidence of which has been somewhat lacking at either West Brom or Celtic. Attacking-wise great in a Kevin Keegan we'll win 6-5 kinda way.

If Yogi hasn't turned things around and gets emptied come Xmas/end of season then maybe he'd be a candidate but I maintain its way too soon to be thinking about that yet...

Badge
08-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh yes please

Ernie Cobra
08-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Michael O'Neil................[/QUOTE]

IN A FLASH

D|oing great things with Shamrock, great set up, playing great football, great knowledge, great guy, great player too.

I would be over the moon if we were to land him! (3-0 win today over Bohs though :grr:)

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm sure you're not inferring that hypothetically you would welcome back Bobby W in preference to TM as manager. :greengrin :tee hee:

You're not, are you?? :confused: :no way:

I am not :greengrin

Blobby was forced to blood the youngsters due to having his budget (and his own wages) slashed.
Mowbray reaped the rewards.
I bought into the Mowbray era and loved the football but don't want him back.

Sumner
08-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Yes - we'd get some very decent football again :thumbsup:

Great going forward, bluddy shocking at the back -
it's the style of football Teflon Tone has perfected

erskine-hibby
08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Hmmm...Zibi comes to mind.
Signed not once but twice.
No thanks, not for me.

Sumner
08-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Before we all get Mowbray-tinted lenses in ...

3 words:

Malkowski, Martis, Konte

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

chrisski33
08-08-2010, 07:00 PM
dont want him back! He walked out on hibs to another club and has had a chance at hibs. He failed at celtic and dont think he wud do any better 2nd time here. Lets look to the future rather than back and get behind yogi and see if things improve and if they dont he shud be out by xmas!

Turnip
08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
No thanks, already used us as a stepping stone. . . . . . and that huddle. . . . . . . not to forget the worst day of my Hibs supporting life, so no!

Phil D. Rolls
08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
dont want him back! He walked out on hibs to another club and has had a chance at hibs. He failed at celtic and dont think he wud do any better 2nd time here. Lets look to the future rather than back and get behind yogi and see if things improve and if they dont he shud be out by xmas!

What's inside your bag Angelos?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/n2TGe4PRqEw/0.jpg

Mowbray - have you seen the state of him?

ScottB
08-08-2010, 08:27 PM
No, just no frankly.

Mowbray lucked into having the most talented crop of youngsters we've turned out in living memory all at once, but ultimately won nothing with them.

Yes, we played some fantastic stuff, but again that was down to having the talent to work with, the Celtic side he built couldn't string 2 passes together so I doubt he could manage that at Hibs again unless we suddenly produced a new crop of Scott Browns. While he brought us Murphy and Sproule, most of his signing were complete huddies (this trait was also evident at Celtic) and he pretty much began our years of mince keepers.

He still can't seem to organise a defense to save himself, and we more often than not got kicked off the park at places like Inverness and Falkirk, how often did Mowbrays side go to Celtic Park and play beautifully before crashing against teams like that? We had no steel (not to say that we have that now, only JC showed the ability to get us to grind out a win when required) and couldn't cope with teams that didn't try to play against us.

So yeah, it's a daft idea, as daft as automatically plumping for an ex player. And before they come Mark Venus would also be a god awful idea.

Tyler Durden
08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Obviously this is never gonna happen & Mowbrays reign was far from faultless but there is a surprising amount of pish on this thread IMO.

Firstly Bobby Williamson deserves very little credit for the development of our crop of talent at the time. This is the guy who wanted to swap Deek & Whittaker for Bobby Mann. He didn't have a clue. Only when Mowbray came in did the likes of GOC and Whittaker begin to develop.

Secondly Mowbray's record in the transfer market was fantastic with the odd exception. Boozy, Sproule, Shiels, Murphy, Jones, Zemmamma. All great players for Hibs and the majority sold at a good profit. The duds were mainly frees, so where was the harm? Even Konte offered a plan B and this paid off in his contribution to us finishing 3rd that year.

Again, not saying Mowbray was faultless, nowhere near, but credit where its due.

erin go bragh
08-08-2010, 10:28 PM

3 words:

Malkowski, Martis, Konte

boozy/sproule/ fast flowing football[couldnt think of another good signing]
no to the question as yogi has improved the squad and needs more time

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Murphy ! Even though i thought he was crap when i first seen him:greengrin

iwasthere1972
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Some fantastic times with Mowbray at the helm but don't forget IIRC we went something like 10 months without winning a game away from home. If it wasn't 10 months then it certainly felt like it.

Besides he wouldn't come back what with all the name calling on this board while he was with Celtic. :devil:

oldbutdim
08-08-2010, 11:12 PM
No, just no frankly.

Mowbray lucked into having the most talented crop of youngsters we've turned out in living memory all at once, but ultimately won nothing with them.

Yes, we played some fantastic stuff, but again that was down to having the talent to work with, the Celtic side he built couldn't string 2 passes together so I doubt he could manage that at Hibs again unless we suddenly produced a new crop of Scott Browns. While he brought us Murphy and Sproule, most of his signing were complete huddies (this trait was also evident at Celtic) and he pretty much began our years of mince keepers.

He still can't seem to organise a defense to save himself, and we more often than not got kicked off the park at places like Inverness and Falkirk, how often did Mowbrays side go to Celtic Park and play beautifully before crashing against teams like that? We had no steel (not to say that we have that now, only JC showed the ability to get us to grind out a win when required) and couldn't cope with teams that didn't try to play against us.

So yeah, it's a daft idea, as daft as automatically plumping for an ex player. And before they come Mark Venus would also be a god awful idea.

Spot on.

Mowbray had his day at Hibs. He has done nothing since using us as a stepping stone, and frankly his behaviour at Sellic (remember his interview when he defended McCheaty diving and claimed he had been a victim of scything tackles - oh dear) was pathetic. Funny for everyone, but cringeworthy for Dodgers.

The man talked a good game and I admired him greatly for a decent amount of time, but ultimately he became a buffoon. A buffoon who gave embarrassing interviews and had little fresh ideas of tactics.

So no ta.

We've got one of them already.

davym7062
08-08-2010, 11:28 PM
TM had some great players yogi does not. give him a chance ffs.

Liam_Hibs
08-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm going to say no. Tony Mowbray was quite fortunate that he arrived at the time we had Brown, Thompson, O'Connor ect.

However.. I would take him if he could promise another player like Murphy :wink:

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm going to say no. Tony Mowbray was quite fortunate that he arrived at the time we had Brown, Thompson, O'Connor ect.

However.. I would take him if he could promise another player like Murphy :wink:

Think he signed Rob Jones too !

--------
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
No, just no frankly.

My thoughts exactly. Not to mention that he's been found out now.

IMO St Tone foresaw the strife approaching over contracts and transfers and bailed out ahead of it. Don't blame him, really, but it didn't sit well with some of his pronouncements about the ethics and morality of the game.

If Yogi doesn't get things sorted out - and I'm not looking to start a lynch-mob here - I'd want an experienced manager with no previous Hibs connection next time around. Derek McInnes, Billy Reid, Derek Adams, or Peter Houston, for example.

Hibbyradge
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Murphy ! Even though i thought he was crap when i first seen him:greengrin

Zemamma too.

But I don't want Tony Mowbray back.

ahibby
09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Simply no, I wouldn'y have him back.

banarc7062
09-08-2010, 11:54 AM
If anyone was to come back, it would have to be JC for me. The Bible apparently says he's gonna do that
sometime anyway? :wink:

:thumbsup: Can't argue with that.

Tyler Durden
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
My thoughts exactly. Not to mention that he's been found out now.

IMO St Tone foresaw the strife approaching over contracts and transfers and bailed out ahead of it. Don't blame him, really, but it didn't sit well with some of his pronouncements about the ethics and morality of the game.

If Yogi doesn't get things sorted out - and I'm not looking to start a lynch-mob here - I'd want an experienced manager with no previous Hibs connection next time around. Derek McInnes, Billy Reid, Derek Adams, or Peter Houston, for example.

Peter Houston who has about 6 months experience?

--------
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Peter Houston who has about 6 months experience?

OOPS! You're right.

Actually, I'm thinking (hopefully) a couple of years down the line. Peter's done exceptionally well in his first 6 months, and has a lot of experience as assistant and as a coach in the SPL.

If he keeps things going for the next couple of seasons, he should be a target if we're looking for a new manager then. But TBF, we need to ease up on Yogi a bit, I think. Once the East's open and populated and the season's properly under way, we'll know more.

And one thing that isn't helping the team IMO is the atmosphere at the home games - there's a lot of Hibs 'fans' who seem to take pleasure in abusing our own players far more savagely than the opposition. It's been like that for as long as I've followed the team, but lately it's been worse than ever IMO. Can't be helping. :rolleyes:

sesoim
09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
TM was good at Hibs because we had a good team.

He would do nothing with this crop of s***e IMO.

Willamson didn't do much with most of that team, and Collins went on a bad run with most of these players as well.

Personally, I think we are only three players (a LB,CM and target man) away from having a very decent team, and if Mowbray showed the same tactical skills he showed most of the time at Hibs then we would be dead certs for 3rd most seasons.

If he could find another Murphy, Jones, Sproule or even a Killen as well that would do nicely.

Wing Half
09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
No

Saorsa
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Yes, I'd rather have him than Yogi...Not sure if I'd have him back TBH but I'd rather have Mickey Mouse than what we have now

hibbiedon
09-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Hibs V Yams at Hampden,, I will never forgive or forget

murraymckirdy
21-08-2010, 02:50 PM
i a heart beat, imaging with the squad we have just now. with a manager who can get us playing fast flowing attacking football with width !!!!!!

brown
hart, bamba, stephens (mogga never really played hogg), murray(C)
wortherspoon, miller, de graff, galbraith
riordan, stokes

mogga likes wide midfielders and on our new bigger pitch it makes sence

I think this is a vgood team and we play our best football in wider pitches so why is hughes not useing wide midfielders to get 1 up on the opposition

Hogg is the weak link in the back four so i think we should get rid off him

As for hughes i think he doing good so far and if he did go i think mogga and collins as a partnership?

jane_says
21-08-2010, 03:01 PM

3 words:

Malkowski, Martis, Konte

Boozy, Sproule, Murphy, Shiels, Rocastle (even though only a loan)
Free scoring team
Large crowds away and at home
Beating the currant buns 3-0 (twice)

But yogi deserves a chance so no i wouldn't have him just now

Brads Laing
21-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Remember that day. Proved that mowbray could not grind out a result when we needed one.

degenerated
21-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Think he signed Rob Jones too !

that's made my mind up, an emphatic no from me :tin hat:

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2010, 03:34 PM
No, we have the best man at the helm now.

Riordans Boots
21-08-2010, 03:35 PM
No, we have the best man at the helm now.

:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
21-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Hibs V Yams at Hampden,, I will never forgive or forget

1. Hibs were forced to field half a team due to injuries.
2. The Yams had a very expensive and (how do I say this) cough, good, cough team.

I still think that result pales into insignificance when compared to inability to beat Ross County at home, or losing a four goal lead in the last quarter of a game.

So, even though he's giving it a right good go, and bringing out the passion and drive in his boys, I think I'd prefer someone with a football brain (failing that, a brain) to be managing the team.

Yogi is no Cloughie.

hibbiedon
21-08-2010, 04:52 PM
1. Hibs were forced to field half a team due to injuries.
2. The Yams had a very expensive and (how do I say this) cough, good, cough team.

I still think that result pales into insignificance when compared to inability to beat Ross County at home, or losing a four goal lead in the last quarter of a game.

So, even though he's giving it a right good go, and bringing out the passion and drive in his boys, I think I'd prefer someone with a football brain (failing that, a brain) to be managing the team.

Yogi is no Cloughie.

We had 11 on the field and they were all Hibs players, were you happy with them it was the manner of the defeat, maybe a football brain could see why zibby merited such a long contract

Skanko79
21-08-2010, 05:02 PM
would take him back in a flash. yogi deserves this season at it though.

Phil D. Rolls
21-08-2010, 05:14 PM
We had 11 on the field and they were all Hibs players, were you happy with them it was the manner of the defeat, maybe a football brain could see why zibby merited such a long contract

I'm not exactly sure what your point is, surely we always have 11 on the field who are Hibs players. Sometimes the 11 players are better than others. This time, we had some key players missing and it cost us dearly.

Hearts were the better team on paper, and on the pitch. Zibby was one of Mowbray's mistakes, he was still a better manager than Hughes (IMO).

I'll change my opinion when Yogi has us playing the beautiful football that Hibs played under Mowvray, or he wins the Scottish Cup, or he can spot young players like Murphy and Sproule and develop them and sell them on for big fees.

yekimevol
21-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not exactly sure what your point is, surely we always have 11 on the field who are Hibs players. Sometimes the 11 players are better than others. This time, we had some key players missing and it cost us dearly.

Hearts were the better team on paper, and on the pitch. Zibby was one of Mowbray's mistakes, he was still a better manager than Hughes (IMO).

I'll change my opinion when Yogi has us playing the beautiful football that Hibs played under Mowvray, or he wins the Scottish Cup, or he can spot young players like Murphy and Sproule and develop them and sell them on for big fees.

Totally agree, mogga had a better idea of tactics they may have been at times all-out attack and just make sure that we scored more but there was good defensive performance in there like the first 3-0 against rangers.
As for the semi – our only striker that game was benji who had not played a competitive game for 2 months because of visa problems, because dalgish was cup tied, O’Conner left for Moscow, riordan banned and killen suspended.

Baader
22-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Liked him and think he's a good manager.

But back at ER? No.

Yesterday's man as far as Hibs are concerned...

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Totally agree, mogga had a better idea of tactics they may have been at times all-out attack and just make sure that we scored more but there was good defensive performance in there like the first 3-0 against rangers.
As for the semi – our only striker that game was benji who had not played a competitive game for 2 months because of visa problems, because dalgish was cup tied, O’Conner left for Moscow, riordan banned and killen suspended.

What happened to this tactical genius at the 3-0 league cup 1/4 final defeat at east end park? Or Dundee utd at hampden? Tony Did a great job, and some of the football was a joy to watch, but he left, he's not coming back and neither are the great crop of kids he moulded into a decent side either.
Yogi is having to get along in a different set of circumstances, yet did the same as tony did in his first season, Yogi will do for me.

wick hibby
22-08-2010, 07:29 AM
NO