08-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Who was your favourite out of the two?

Latapy just edges it in my opinion.

bingo70
08-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Who was your favourite out of the two?

Latapy just edges it in my opinion.

no offence but yer aff yer heid.

As a player Sauzee was better in every department, Latapy was class but i can't see in any way how he could be better than Sauzee.

IMO Latapy wiill go down as a great player but Sauzee will go up there as one of there greatest.

Unfortunately i was miles too young to see Stanton play, however by all accounts they were similiar players but Sauzee was capped 38 times by France, the difference between the two of them is that Stanton obviously played for us for longer and during his prime, however thats the debate you should be having, latapy and Sauzee is a non starter IMO.

Mango Man
08-08-2010, 03:58 AM

As a player Sauzee was better in every department, Latapy was class but i can't see in any way how he could be better than Sauzee.

IMO Latapy wiill go down as a great player but Sauzee will go up there as one of there greatest.

Unfortunately i was miles too young to see Stanton play, however by all accounts they were similiar players but Sauzee was capped 38 times by France, the difference between the two of them is that Stanton obviously played for us for longer and during his prime, however thats the debate you should be having, latapy and Sauzee is a non starter IMO.

I would say it's a slightly tougher decision than you suggest. Latapy's movement and skill was unlike anything i had seen at Easter Road, and he scored a load of goals too. Imo, he was a bit better than Sauzee in the last 3rd of the pitch for Hibs, created so many goals as well.

Don't get me wrong, i love Sauzee dearly, he has that aura of sheer class and wisdom about him, magical. How lucky are we to have seen them play in the same team together?!.

Not a patch on Flogel and Petric mind.........:thumbsup:

GhostofBolivar
08-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Franck. And it isn't even close.

Big90inOz
08-08-2010, 05:35 AM

No offence but your off yer heid :greengrin

The question was who was your favourite, not who was the best although i think there would be strong debate on that question too.

Frank was awesome, a fantastic footballer and a real gentleman. One of the sadest days was when the great man failed as our manager :agree: Frank led by example in every game he played, absolutly brilliant.

BUT as the game ( for me) is about the final quarter it has to be Latapy. It didn't matter how many players were around him you could give him the ball and be confident he would make something of it,he had vision, strength ( for a small man), movement and he could finish which for me made him more valuable than Le God.

Steve20
08-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Very close. I loved Latapy but Sauzee edges it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar Lomax
08-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Two different types of players. I have had many discusions about this in the past !! For me, although Sauzee was a class player, Its Latapy that gets my vote. Simply amazing to watch him dance through defences with ease. Two great feet and not afraid to shoot.....His goal in the 6-2 games was simply delightful...Oh for a Russell nowadays ! ......

bighairyfaeleith
08-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Sauzee, class act in every way!!

3pm
08-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Sauzee, no comparison for me.

Geo_1875
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM
They were both amazing players but as your asking who's your favourite it has to be Sauzee. Latapty is no different to KT in my opinion. He sold us down the river to join the Huns and possibly cost us the Cup.

RickyS
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Sauzee, no comparison for me.

:agree:

soupy
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Sauzee:notworthy:the genius just shades it over the other genius Russell:notworthy:

sKipper
08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Latapy for me. Easily.

I went to games to watch exciting skilful football and Latas was the best I've seen at ER.

Sauzee was merely a defender. Albeit a pretty good one.

mim
08-08-2010, 10:49 AM
To answer the question that was asked - I can't separate the two of them.
They are both all time favourites of mine, although they played completely different roles and can't therefore be compared to each other.

scottp1875
08-08-2010, 11:28 AM
gotta be sauzee for me. latapy was great but ended on a sour note when he could have went out on a high in cup final

Perspective
08-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Sauzee for me, no contest.

Had every quality I'd want in a Hibs player - ability and character.

It's a real shame that such a figure is lost to the club.

HibbyAndy
08-08-2010, 11:57 AM
They are both all time favourites of mine, although they played completely different roles and can't therefore be compared to each other.

Id agree with all of that Mike.

rainman
08-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Latapy for me. Easily.

I went to games to watch exciting skilful football and Latas was the best I've seen at ER.

Deary me.

DH1875
08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Latapy was a great wee player but it's not even close, has to be Sauzee every time. Oh and I'll think you will find he was much more than merely a defender :asshole:.

RoslinInstHibby
08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Latapy for me. Easily.

:bitchy:

Lucius Apuleius
08-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Loved watching Latapy play, but his antics just before the cup final put me off him I am afraid.

Therefore, no contest.

HibeeSince85
08-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Latapy for me. Easily.

Oh dear, We've had some pretty good defenders at Easter Road in the past and will have in the future. Sauzee was an outstanding footballer, end of story.

To answer the main question thouugh, Both were class acts who played different positions with different roles in the team.

Sauzee shades it as my favourite because of the passion and commitment he has for Hibs, love them both though.

M11BMO
08-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I loved watching both players and would happily lose a toe if we could have them back in the team now!

If I had to choose then I would have to go with Sauzee as my favourite.

hibeemikey21
08-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Yeah, it annoys me when people try and claim that a centre forward is a better player than a goalie for example, when its impossible to draw such a comparison!

It was simply a case of which one did you prefer. Latapy was all tricks, skills and goals at a time in my life (I was around 10) when that is all that matters.

Was he not ranked as the 20 somethingth best player in the world by fifa when he was with us? Or am I just imagining that? :confused:

hibsbollah
08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Sauzee by a mile.

ts a closer call for me between Zemmama and Latapy. Zemmama's had less games so in terms of consistent impact id go for Latapy but when Zouma's fit and doing his stuff id say they are very similar types of players at a similar level.

hibeemikey21
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Sauzee by a mile.

ts a closer call for me between Zemmama and Latapy. Zemmama's had less games so in terms of consistent impact id go for Latapy but when Zouma's fit and doing his stuff id say they are very similar types of players at a similar level.

Really?

Each to their own and all that, but I think Sauzee and Latapy are on one level and Zemmama is not even close to it

Pretty Boy
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Latapy for me. Easily.

Oh dear.

KWJ
08-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Zouma has a long way to go to be seen in a Latapy vein. Best I've ever seen for Hibs.

Love Sauzee but it's Latapy that was my hero. Fair enough it went sour but IMO he still held the club dear and he was more than a mercenary as shown in one of the hibs dvds where he tells about Hibs' history.

How lucky we were.

Malthibby
08-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Frank 'Just a defender' Sauzee for me. By a mile.
GG

lyonhibs
08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Franck Sauzee - "just a defender" christ, iv heard it all now! Not much better than PC Murdoch or Calamity Caldwell then, aye?? Utter rot, he was, is and will probably be the classiest player anyone under the age of 35 has ever seen at ER. King Franck by a distance for me.

ekhibee
08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Franck Sauzee - "just a defender" christ, iv heard it all now! Not much better than PC Murdoch or Calamity Caldwell then, aye?? Utter rot, he was, is and will probably be the classiest player anyone under the age of 35 has ever seen at ER. King Franck by a distance for me.
Yep, agree 100%. I would also have had Zitelli up with those two, to me he was the best taker of corners at ER that I've personally ever seen, and scored some cracking goals,but Sauzee for me, by a long street.

erin go bragh
08-08-2010, 08:57 PM
behave . le god:greengrin

erin go bragh
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM

nail and head :top marks

gillythehibby
08-08-2010, 11:27 PM
"SAUZEE, THERE'S ONLY 1 SAUZEE" :sauzee:

sleeping giant
08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Frank left his front teeth on the turf at Easter Road after scoring against the jamboids:thumbsup:
Frank for me :thumbsup:

cwilliamson85
09-08-2010, 06:49 AM
no brainer. Sauzee was a different class and a pleasure to watch him wear the green.

:sauzee:

allezsauzee
09-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Le God,the man was class on and off the pitch.....and THEY never beat him!

stanton_4
09-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Sauzee all the way for me and the way the poll is going seems to suggest that most people believe that too. Not really a surprise to me as Franck was literally a god send for us. He was a fantastic player and a leader of men... and let's not forget he was never anything but respectful and professional through out his time at our club. As good a player as Mr Latapy was, the same could not be said for him.

Andy74
09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Latapy for me. Easily.

I don't even know where to start with that one. Jeezo.

clashcityhibby
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Sauzee for me. Latapy had some awesome skills and that 6th against the Hearts will always be a great memory. However Sauzee was just a class apart in my book, strolled through games, vision, great shot, gave his all for the team and was a brilliant example of how a player should look after himself!!!

SouthMoroccoStu
09-08-2010, 11:52 AM
gotta be sauzee for me. latapy was great but ended on a sour note when he could have went out on a high in cup final

I thought that was the problem :smokin:smokin

sesoim
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Sauzee for me. Latapy had some awesome skills and that 6th against the Hearts will always be a great memory. However Sauzee was just a class apart in my book, strolled through games, vision, great shot, gave his all for the team and was a brilliant example of how a player should look after himself!!!

:agree: Loved both of them, the two best players I've personally watched playing for Hibs, but Sauzee had a real air of class about him as a player and in the way he came across in interviews. His time as manager still hurts, if only he'd been made assistant first, or been given an experienced helping hand...

DirtyDeeds
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
A toughie, and I give the same answer every time.

Both are heroes for any Hibbie around my age, geniuses playing in an exciting and fairly successful side. Sauzee was the embodiment of the leader and team player, with genuinely outstanding technical ability and a phenomenal knack for reading the game, whilst clearly holding the club close to his heart. But for me Russel just had something truly special, the ability to win games on his own, to do things you felt no other player in th country could do. I still rip my Yam mates about the roasting he gave their entire back four in the millemium derby, I cant remember seeing as good a performance from anyone in a Hibs jersey.

Purely based on the fact that he made me smile more times, I have to go for Russel. We'll never see another pair even come close to them.

MSK
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
A toughie, and I give the same answer every time.

Both are heroes for any Hibbie around my age, geniuses playing in an exciting and fairly successful side. Sauzee was the embodiment of the leader and team player, with genuinely outstanding technical ability and a phenomenal knack for reading the game, whilst clearly holding the club close to his heart. But for me Russel just had something truly special, the ability to win games on his own, to do things you felt no other player in th country could do. I still rip my Yam mates about the roasting he gave their entire back four in the millemium derby, I cant remember seeing as good a performance from anyone in a Hibs jersey.

Purely based on the fact that he made me smile more times, I have to go for Russel. We'll never see another pair even come close to them.Excellent post ....:top marks....:agree: