PDA

View Full Version : Tiring Journey?

Boris
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Surprised to hear that the Hibs team are driving down tomorrow for the friendly at Blackpool. Friendly or not, 4 hours in a coach hardly seems ideal preparation for a game. Then the return journey so 8 hours in a coach plus a match just a week before our first league game. Good preparation?:dunno:

iwasthere1972
07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Surprised to hear that the Hibs team are driving down tomorrow for the friendly at Blackpool. Friendly or not, 4 hours in a coach hardly seems ideal preparation for a game. Then the return journey so 8 hours in a coach plus a match just a week before our first league game. Good preparation?:dunno:

It's probably just as easy as having to get up the airport, check-in, sit in a lounge, plane to Manchester then coach to Blackpool.

The only downside is they will have to listen to Yogi for 4 hours.

Gerard
07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
It's probably just as easy as having to get up the airport, check-in, sit in a lounge, plane to Manchester then coach to Blackpool.

The only downside is they will have to listen to Yogi for 4 hours.

As we were emptied out of the EC then economies have to be made:greengrin:wink: I suspect that our players will have no problems not listening to JH:wink:
Gerard

iwasthere1972
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
As we were emptied out of the EC then economies have to be made:greengrin:wink: I suspect that our players will have no problems not listening to JH:wink:
Gerard

Rodders jet is busy collecting "new manager" from Barcelona in time for trip to Fir Park.

3pm
07-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Long journey.

We should really invest in a good, quality coach. We shouldn't compromise on the quality of the bus either.

Hainan Hibs
07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Rod is still recovering from the bill for the flight over to Slovenia for the team. The team is lucky to be getting the (mega)bus as Rod would have looked into hiking possibilities :agree:

Cameron1875
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
****** them i'd make them walk.

Rods not daft, he will probably be driving the bus :greengrin

iwasthere1972
07-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Rod is still recovering from the bill for the flight over to Slovenia for the team. The team is lucky to be getting the (mega)bus as Rod would have looked into hiking possibilities :agree:

If I was in charge I would have got them to report to Easter Road 9am sharp on Friday, issued them with running shoes and told them that the first 11 to Bloomfield Road will be playing. Any slackers would get a kick up the erse from my chaffeur en-route.

PaulSmith
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Mayebe that's what the players wanted to do rather than another night away from families

chrisski33
07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Get a grip! Aww poor players having to sit on a coach for 8 hours! Hows that gonna affect preparation for a game thats 5 days later? I feel more for the fans who travelled miles to slovenia to watch hibs lose!

MacBean
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
9 away games pre season perhaps has tightened the purse strings a bit for Rodders

Boris
07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Get a grip! Aww poor players having to sit on a coach for 8 hours! Hows that gonna affect preparation for a game thats 5 days later? I feel more for the fans who travelled miles to slovenia to watch hibs lose!

Longer journeys, before games, increases likelihood of strain injuries during a game. Hence the reason I would suggest that most teams would have travelled the day before to a fixture 200 miles away. We've already picked up a few knocks in the pre-season build-up/Euro capitulation so I would have thought it prudent to take every precaution in the build-up to the first league game.

monktonharp
07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Get a grip! Aww poor players having to sit on a coach for 8 hours! Hows that gonna affect preparation for a game thats 5 days later? I feel more for the fans who travelled miles to slovenia to watch hibs lose! I was one that travelled,more than a few miles to Slovenia,but then again I did not feel sorry for mysel. got a few drinks on the train,good laugh,good scran efter that and the match, but I'd expect Hibernian fc to be a bit more professional,and go the extra mile if you like,with our last "pre-season game" , book them into a Hotel on the outskirts,the night before and a light warm up before setting off. dissapointed,to say the least. It's been a hard week,for club and fans,but the real fight is looming and it just looks messy,before the brawl even starts.

matty_f
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM

I think week is enough time to get over a bus journey.:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 10:08 PM
terrible prep, they should be in blackpool already, safely tucked up in bed, with mrs mack having bolted the door of the B&B so stokesy and deeko can't be tempted by blackpools finer points:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Longer journeys, before games, increases likelihood of strain injuries during a game. Hence the reason I would suggest that most teams would have travelled the day before to a fixture 200 miles away. We've already picked up a few knocks in the pre-season build-up/Euro capitulation so I would have thought it prudent to take every precaution in the build-up to the first league game.

:agree: I'm surprised at this as well. I'd imagine turing up at the ground for a warm-up after sitting on the bus all morning won't hep them to start with a bang.

james62
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM

I wish I had 5 days to recover for my work after a 6 hour round trip every 2nd weekend to watch a home game at Easter Road. :bitchy:

iwasthere1972
07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I wish I had 5 days to recover for my work after a 6 hour round trip every 2nd weekend to watch a home game at Easter Road. :bitchy:

:agree: In the old days fitba players used to go to work down pit day before the match, smoke 30 woodbine, go out for a few beers before turning in at 2am. Up for 6am for paper round, cycle to nearest train station which was normally 40 miles away, tie cycle to lamppost and spend the next 6 hours on steam train taking it in turns to keep the furnace from running out of coal. Arrive at away ground 30 minutes before kick off with just enough time for a quick fag before running on to the pitch. Today's players have it too easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CXY6TVBMc :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 10:52 PM

What you do for your work is irrelevant. Unless you're a professional sportsman?

If you want them to be the best that's what they need to do. Do you think Man U will be sitting on a bus to London tomorrow morning?

james62
07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
What you do for your work is irrelevant. Unless you're a professional sportsman?

If you want them to be the best that's what they need to do. Do you think Man U will be sitting on a bus to London tomorrow morning?

Do you really think you can compare Hibs to Man United? The point I'm making is that travelling on the day and back for a pre-season friendly on a round trip of less than 400 miles when the opening game of the season is 7 days away really shouldn't affect the players. If it does they really should be questioning whether or not they are professional sportsmen.

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Do you really think you can compare Hibs to Man United? The point I'm making is that travelling on the day and back for a pre-season friendly on a round trip of less than 400 miles when the opening game of the season is 7 days away really shouldn't affect the players. If it does they really should be questioning whether or not they are professional sportsmen.

Man U are playing a pre-season friendly hundreds of miles away tomorrow, as are Hibs. Why shouldn't I compare them?

If travelling down and back the same day doesn't afftect preparation time why won't Man U be doing it? Maybe they're not real professionals?

james62
07-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Man U are playing a pre-season friendly hundreds of miles away tomorrow, as are Hibs. Why shouldn't I compare them?

If travelling down and back the same day doesn't afftect preparation time why won't Man U be doing it? Maybe they're not real professionals?

Man United have an average attendance of 70,000 paying £40+ for a ticket in the most over-rated league in the world funded mostly by Sky's money, Hibs have an average attendance of just over 10,000 in a league where the majority of the tv money goes to the old firm, is it any surprise that Man U can afford a charter flight to a match 200 miles away and we can't? A little bit of persceptive needed here I think.

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Man United have an average attendance of 70,000 paying £40+ for a ticket in the most over-rated league in the world funded mostly by Sky's money, Hibs have an average attendance of just over 10,000 in a league where the majority of the tv money goes to the old firm, is it any surprise that Man U can afford a charter flight to a match 200 miles away and we can't? A little bit of persceptive needed here I think.

We were in Holland for 10 days but we can't afford an overnighter in Blackpool?!

sixtwo
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't see any problem with that at all. it is not an important match. It's a fitness excercise and an oportunity to get match sharpness. if it was an important game my views might be different but I don't give a monkeys about how and when they travel for a training match.

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't see any problem with that at all. it is not an important match. It's a fitness excercise and an oportunity to get match sharpness. if it was an important game my views might be different but I don't give a monkeys about how and when they travel for a training match.

Hundreds will be compaining tomorrow when we make a slow start to the game though! (No doubt a slow end to the game as well!)

james62
07-08-2010, 11:34 PM
We were in Holland for 10 days but we can't afford an overnighter in Blackpool?!

I'm sure we could but is it really necessary to play a pre-season match 190 miles away? Wouldn't have made so much sense economically to make 4 return flights to Holland in the space of 10 days.

iwasthere1972
07-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Honestly can't see what all the commotion is about.

It's a four hour coach journey to Blackpool to play in a friendly not a camel ride through the Sahara. During the trip they'll have their feet up listening to their mp3 players, stop off for a refreshment and late breakfast in a Little Chef and arrive at the ground in time to limber up. It's not a European tie or even an SPL game. The scoreline doesn't really matter and they'll probably do much the same as they did last week at Carlisle - next to nought.

Back in Edinburgh Sunday night leaving a whole week before our opening game. Plenty time to get match fit.

Rodders does not work day and night getting us megabucks for our players to spend it on expensive overnight accommodation.

Simples

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Honestly can't see what all the commotion is about.

It's a four hour coach journey to Blackpool to play in a friendly not a camel ride through the Sahara. During the trip they'll have their feet up listening to their mp3 players, stop off for a refreshment and late breakfast in a Little Chef and arrive at the ground in time to limber up. It's not a European tie or even an SPL game. The scoreline doesn't really matter and they'll probably do much the same as they did last week at Carlisle - next to nought.

Back in Edinburgh Sunday night leaving a whole week before our opening game. Plenty time to get match fit.

On the other hand given sports science says it's better to not travel the same day - presumably something to do with the muscles and that - why bother risking it for the sake of a few hundred quid?

I'm not fussy either way but if we want to be a professional team lets be professional and not just kid on at it 'cos we're not in the EPL.

sixtwo
07-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Hundreds will be compaining tomorrow when we make a slow start to the game though! (No doubt a slow end to the game as well!)

having to travel on the day of a game is not an excuse for a poor performance. Maybe if they jogged or cycled down i'd accept that but they are not so they have no excuse!

I don't expect hibs to win tomorrow but I feel the fans who have travelled to support them deserve to see them play with commitment and desire from the first whistle to the last!

after their recent mediocre showings i think this is a good oportunity for them to show the fans that they want to do well and they are commited to the club.

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
having to travel on the day of a game is not an excuse for a poor performance. Maybe if they jogged or cycled down i'd accept that but they are not so they have no excuse!

I don't expect hibs to win tomorrow but I feel the fans who have travelled to support them deserve to see them play with commitment and desire from the first whistle!

I know when I played and had to travel a distance for the match the team's performance always seemd to be more lethargic than normal. It is only a pre-season game but if we don't treat it seriously I don't see what we get out of it.

Steve-O
08-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Pretty sure teams around England make these journeys all the time so can't see it being an issue really?

Scots/Brits in general seem to think that 3-4 hour trips are completely mental for some reason, when over here for example it's just a quick drive up the road! :greengrin

edit - didn't realise they were going the same day...that's a bit stupid. Maybe just to make sure half the squad didn't get tempted to go out on the skite on the Saturday.

Gala Foxes
08-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Spot on mate - I was pissed off last Sunday when Zico Rankin said in the Sunday papers that it was a tiring trip getting back in to Edinburgh at 2.30 am on Friday morning after Maribor - poor wee soul, charter flight straight in straight out. We got back to Edinburgh at 6.00 pm on Saturday after a flight from Munich and a 1100 KM round trip in a car. Rankin was obviously so tired that he had a rest against Carlisle and Maribor

down the slope
08-08-2010, 07:56 AM
What's the alternative , fly to Blackpool international ?, even if they were to fly to Manchester they would have a 2 hour check in then an hour on the bus from there so no difference methinks , it's a hard life being a football pro. I remember getting the bus to Blackpool and i was able to do more than play football for many hours after the trip !.

hibbill2002
08-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Wee Gordon McDougall used to drive the Cowdenbeath team bus.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2010, 08:08 AM
What's the alternative , fly to Blackpool international ?, even if they were to fly to Manchester they would have a 2 hour check in then an hour on the bus from there so no difference methinks , it's a hard life being a football pro. I remember getting the bus to Blackpool and i was able to do more than play football for many hours after the trip !.

One alternative is to travel down by bus the day before.

alfie
08-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm sure Yogi will have them doing sprints up and down the aisle of the bus every 30 mins to keep the blood pumping on the bus trip. Alternatively take out the back row of seats and put in a couple of cycle machines. :agree:

And I'm sure Rodders will not be paying for flights to Inverness when we play ICT in the league this season. And anyone who has ever been stuck behind a Tesco lorry or caravan (non-Tesco) on the A9 will know just how long that journey can be! :yawn:

It's only a few hours. Leave early and then they will have plenty time to limber up and refuel before the game. I'm sure as a professional team they will have taken this into account. Or maybe they will stop on the hard shoulder of the M6 for a piss and a quick sprint session a couple of times.

Personally, I'd stop at the Devil's Beeftub outside Moffat and get them to run to the bottom and back up again. Better than the dunes at Gullane beach, and that would sort out the men from the boys! :greengrin

All IMHO of course.

Danderhall Hibs
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
And I'm sure Rodders will not be paying for flights to Inverness when we play ICT in the league this season. And anyone who has ever been stuck behind a Tesco lorry or caravan (non-Tesco) on the A9 will know just how long that journey can be! :yawn:

I've said nothing about flying and I'd expect them to travel up the day before for the game(s) against ICT as well.

Just remember the 7 P's....
Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2010, 09:00 AM
When i first started going to blackpool, we'd get the bus. I'd have 6 cans of export, a bottle of pomagne, get off the bus straight to the boozer, fire in a load more drink. Get booked in the hotel, out again, shed more drink, then to a nightclub, pull a bird, take her back to the hotel, and not once did my performance suffer.

Gala Foxes
08-08-2010, 09:32 AM
When i first started going to blackpool, we'd get the bus. I'd have 6 cans of export, a bottle of pomagne, get off the bus straight to the boozer, fire in a load more drink. Get booked in the hotel, out again, shed more drink, then to a nightclub, pull a bird, take her back to the hotel, and not once did my performance suffer.

quality - think i can remember some of those days on Edinburgh West. Mind you dangerous quoting the pulling the bird line when pictured with the mad artist from the square in Maribor. She drew a picture of my mate in his kilt - must have been some form of modern art as none of us could make any sense of it, mind you that might have been down to the Pivo Bier !!

heretoday
08-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Get the phones on, listen to music, read a good book, text her indoors, look out of the window, join the card school in the back seat.....the time will fly by.

deek1875
08-08-2010, 10:18 AM
:rolleyes:

surely tam mccourt will be driving the bus

Sandy
08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
:agree: In the old days fitba players used to go to work down pit day before the match, smoke 30 woodbine, go out for a few beers before turning in at 2am. Up for 6am for paper round, cycle to nearest train station which was normally 40 miles away, tie cycle to lamppost and spend the next 6 hours on steam train taking it in turns to keep the furnace from running out of coal. Arrive at away ground 30 minutes before kick off with just enough time for a quick fag before running on to the pitch. Today's players have it too easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CXY6TVBMc :agree:

Been ages since I have seen that, pure quality :faf::faf::faf:

Cracker
08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Not my undrestanding,They were going down on sat,JH following on sunday!:wink:

matty_f
08-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I think they should travel the same day for every game now.

Hope their legs recover by the weekend.:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
08-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I think they should travel the same day for every game now.

Hope their legs recover by the weekend.:thumbsup:

:agree: I would even go as far as getting the driver to take the players to Aberdeen and back before dropping them off at Tynie for the next derby.

It's the way to go.

jdships
08-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I've said nothing about flying and I'd expect them to travel up the day before for the game(s) against ICT as well.

Just remember the 7 P's....
Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. :greengrin

I understand from my two rellies at E M's that this was a decision by the management and players.
They agreed that as they were being given Monday off ( except for those who needed treatment after the game) they would prefer to travel home Sunday evening in order to get a full day with their families - this with the start of the new season round the corner it might be a spell before they got another break
This appears to have been a one off set up and in future the manager/staff would as normal decide the travel arrangements
Sounds logical to me :agree:

Mikey
11-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Not my undrestanding,They were going down on sat,JH following on sunday!:wink:

Correct. The team travelled down on Saturday.

Any of you chaps need help to get off your horse? Some of them are pretty high :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Correct. The team travelled down on Saturday.

Any of you chaps need help to get off your horse? Some of them are pretty high :wink:

It's good to hear they were professional about it. It's amazing hiw many folk were happy for them to go down on the Sunday morning.

matty_f
11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
It's good to hear they were professional about it. It's amazing hiw many folk were happy for them to go down on the Sunday morning.

Don't think folk were especially happy about it, just not bothered enough to be annoyed/concerned about it.:greengrin

Anyway, we can add this to the list of things that folk are happy to slate Hibs about that are fundamentally not true.:agree:

Kojock
11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Worked till 2am Sunday morning, up at 7am to walk the dog before setting off at 8am. Drove all the way to Blackpool. Dropped off our bags at the hotel 1115am then made our way to the working mens club. Loads of bevvy, walk to the game. Watch game then back to the Manchester Bar, more bevvy. Karaoke bar till 0130am.

Did my performance suffer, not a jot, won every game of pool, didnt spill a drop of bevvy but the most impressive thing was that I smashed a Kebab down my throat without any spillage on ma shirt.

:top marks

Boris
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Anyway, we can add this to the list of things that folk are happy to slate Hibs about that are fundamentally not true.:agree:

I started the thread & although I thought it had run its term I have to come back on this comment. I wasn't "slating" the club - I merely raised what I thought was a valid topic for discussion . I thought that was one of the points of a discussion forum? Now, to be fair, I was indeed wrong about Hibs travelling on the day - that'll teach me to listen more closely (or not listen at all some might say!). I overheard Yogi making a comment at the U19's game on Saturday afternoon about leaving for Blackpool at 8am Sunday morning. I automaticall assumed - wrongly I accept, with the benefit of hindsight, a wonderful gift - that the manager would travel with the team.

Now its long been my feeling that one of the reasons for our dismal record at Inverness is undertaking the long journey on the day (although I am aware that Hibs have stayed over there the previous night on at least one occassion - I stayed in the same hotel that time, the Marriott - and still got humped!).

As I say, just my opinion, and I raised it to see what others thought, not to slate the club.

marinello59
11-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I started the thread & although I thought it had run its term I have to come back on this comment. I wasn't "slating" the club - I merely raised what I thought was a valid topic for discussion . I thought that was one of the points of a discussion forum? Now, to be fair, I was indeed wrong about Hibs travelling on the day - that'll teach me to listen more closely (or not listen at all some might say!). I overheard Yogi making a comment at the U19's game on Saturday afternoon about leaving for Blackpool at 8am Sunday morning. I automaticall assumed - wrongly I accept, with the benefit of hindsight, a wonderful gift - that the manager would travel with the team.

Now its long been my feeling that one of the reasons for our dismal record at Inverness is undertaking the long journey on the day (although I am aware that Hibs have stayed over there the previous night on at least one occassion - I stayed in the same hotel that time, the Marriott - and still got humped!).

As I say, just my opinion, and I raised it to see what others thought, not to slate the club.

And they have also stayed in Aviemore the night before a game at Inversneck so it looks like staying up there may have been a regular occurance. It seems that your theory on our dismal record is rather flawed. :greengrin

Boris
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
And they have also stayed in Aviemore the night before a game at Inversneck so it looks like staying up there may have been a regular occurance. It seems that your theory on our dismal record is rather flawed. :greengrin

Aye probably. Just have to accept the alternative then - we're mince:agree:

DC_Hibs
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Worked till 2am Sunday morning, up at 7am to walk the dog before setting off at 8am. Drove all the way to Blackpool. Dropped off our bags at the hotel 1115am then made our way to the working mens club. Loads of bevvy, walk to the game. Watch game then back to the Manchester Bar, more bevvy. Karaoke bar till 0130am.

Did my performance suffer, not a jot, won every game of pool, didnt spill a drop of bevvy but the most impressive thing was that I smashed a Kebab down my throat without any spillage on ma shirt.

:top marks

Take it you never bagged yourself a bit of Shereen Nanjiani then "Hot Shot".......or Hudson Hawk if that's your preference.

Time to change the username pal.

Next.

HenryMonk
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Take it you never bagged yourself a bit of Shereen Nanjiani then "Hot Shot".......or Hudson Hawk if that's your preference.

Time to change the username pal.

Next.

did he not sort his dog out at 7am!

archiebald
11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Wasn't going to reply to this but cant help myself -what a load of p- -s they are grown men not kids having to get up for school in the morning.
Get a grip :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Wasn't going to reply to this but cant help myself -what a load of p- -s they are grown men not kids having to get up for school in the morning.

You think the overnight stay is to make sure they get up in the morning?!

matty_f
11-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Fair point.:agree:

It wasn't meant as a dig at you, I just get frustrated at things getting posted which portray the club in a bad light which then get taken as fact by some, and (at times) used as a stick to beat the club with.

Baldy Foghorn
11-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Does Boris warrant a response like the one you posted, I don't think so..........

He has explained he started the thread to debate, but some of the responses are OTT

Boris
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM

You're a bit late in the day. Already explained the thinking behind the post but clearly lost on a halfwit like you. Tosser.

ArabHibee
11-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Aye, but you now live in Blackpool coz you cannae hack the bus drive. :cool2::greengrin

archiebald
12-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Does Boris warrant a response like the one you posted, I don't think so..........

He has explained he started the thread to debate, but some of the responses are OTT
To late-he opened his mouth :agree:

Boris
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
To late-he opened his mouth :agree:

Not just a tosser - a tosser with an inadequate command of the English language.

marinello59
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Please cut out the personal abuse guys, we don't want to be spending time deleting posts etc.
Thanks.

archiebald
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Not just a tosser - a tosser with an inadequate command of the English language.
:bye: :yawn:

archiebald
12-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Pretty sure teams around England make these journeys all the time so can't see it being an issue really?

Scots/Brits in general seem to think that 3-4 hour trips are completely mental for some reason, when over here for example it's just a quick drive up the road! :greengrin

edit - didn't realise they were going the same day...that's a bit stupid. Maybe just to make sure half the squad didn't get tempted to go out on the skite on the Saturday.
Maybe this sounds better

Boris
12-08-2010, 09:50 PM
:bye: :yawn:

See you soon :wink:

archiebald
13-08-2010, 07:41 AM
:bye: