PDA

View Full Version : John Collins

Boris
07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Nice to see John Collins in the stand at the Pennypit today taking in Hibs U19's 4-1 victory. Mind you, he looked a wee bit taken aback when wee Mick Mcghee asked if he could go hame wi him for his tea!!! :greengrin

Big Frank
07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Wish he was our manager now:boo hoo:

Seanair
07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Nice to see John Collins in the stand at the Pennypit today taking in Hibs U19's 4-1 victory. Mind you, he looked a wee bit taken aback when wee Mick Mcghee asked if he could go hame wi him for his tea!!! :greengrin

Just up the road from his house at Craigielaw, so what could be better than a visit to the Pans to see the Hibs?:wink:

Saorsa
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Nice to see John Collins in the stand at the Pennypit today taking in Hibs U19's 4-1 victory. Mind you, he looked a wee bit taken aback when wee Mick Mcghee asked if he could go hame wi him for his tea!!! :greengrin:hilarious

Quality :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gerard
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Wish he was our manager now:boo hoo:

I hoped that he would have stayed longer at Hibs as a manager. That is now history and John Hughes deserves his chance for a bit longer:wink: John we need a new CH, attacking mid field player and a GK:wink:
Gerard

Jonnyboy
07-08-2010, 09:09 PM

:faf:

I'd have been more taken aback if Mick hudnae asked him :greengrin

sixtwo
07-08-2010, 11:43 PM
very good and clever manager.

I'd love to see him come back. It must have been frustrating for him. if it is true that he left due to very strict budget constraints at a time when we sold our best talent for lots of money, i can understand his frustrations. especially when you consider he delivered a cup and helped drive up the fees for brown and thomson by being so stubborn with the old firm.

It's ironic when you think mixu and yogi have had comparatively large budgets and delivered poor football, reducing crowds and very little to be optomistic about!

Bring back jc!

ForeverHibs93
07-08-2010, 11:55 PM

I'd love to see him come back. It must have been frustrating for him. if it is true that he left due to very strict budget constraints at a time when we sold our best talent for lots of money, i can understand his frustrations. especially when you consider he delivered a cup and helped drive up the fees for brown and thomson by being so stubborn with the old firm.

It's ironic when you think mixu and yogi have had comparatively large budgets and delivered poor football, reducing crowds and very little to be optomistic about!

Bring back jc!
:top marks Couldn't agree more I think JC is a great manager, and had a lot to offer us

CallumLaidlaw
08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
JC seemed to get his tactics right, and knew what he wanted from his players, BUT, he didnt seem to have an eye for a player. It seems to be that if we could have Mixu/Yogi as the player spotter, and JC as the coach/tactician, we would be on to a winner :wink:

Baader
08-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Bring back jc!

Just so long as he's not allowed to sign players!

sahib
08-08-2010, 12:05 AM
:top marks Couldn't agree more I think JC is a great manager, and had a lot to offer us

He was rubbish.

ForeverHibs93
08-08-2010, 12:13 AM
He was rubbish.
First cup win in 16 years, more than mowbary etc. done, so that comment is ridiculous:confused:

Steve-O
08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
First cup win in 16 years, more than mowbary etc. done, so that comment is ridiculous:confused:

Collins was NOT better than Mowbray overall. You reckon Mowbary would not have gone onto win that tournament? I seem to remember us doing our best to get punted out by a first division team in the semi final in an utterly appalling performance too.

Mowbray did more for Hibs than Collins was ever likely to.

Jack
08-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Yogi was there too I hear. Anyone see if the two of them were chatting to eachother?

Golden Bear
08-08-2010, 08:32 AM
He had the potential to be a great Hibernian Manager but his ego would not allow him to be seen as a failure in his first Managerial appointment.

It's a pity he'd been out of the game for so long prior to his appointment which is possibly why he made so many poor signings.

But oh how I wish he was still there.

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Makalamby and Alan O'Brien, Kevin McCann at centre half, enough said.

Big Frank
08-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Makalamby and Alan O'Brien, Kevin McCann at centre half, enough said.

hughes made any ***** signings blackpool?

At the very least, the players under jc were fit:grr::grr::grr:

hughes team dont seem to be able to pass 5 yards!!!!!

heretoday
08-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Come back to Easter Road!

ForeverHibs93
08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Collins was NOT better than Mowbray overall. You reckon Mowbary would not have gone onto win that tournament? I seem to remember us doing our best to get punted out by a first division team in the semi final in an utterly appalling performance too.

I never said he was:confused:? I was pointing out to say that someone who won us our first cup in 16 years 'rubbish' is IMO daft.

Green Mikey
08-08-2010, 09:56 AM
hughes made any ***** signings blackpool?

At the very least, the players under jc were fit:grr::grr::grr:

hughes team dont seem to be able to pass 5 yards!!!!!

Collins made a lot of bad signings! O'Brien, Maka, Donaldson, Curier, Kerr and Morais to name a few :bitchy:

The players were fit under Collins but they also were unhappy resulting in a mutiny that was damaging to the club. Collins might have talked a good game but in the end when players moved on he didn't replace them with quality and our form dipped. His tactics were constantly changing and nearly always made subs in the first half or at half time.

JC did win a cup and was a great player for us but I think the current opinion of Hughes is causing people to look back with rose-tinted glasses at the Collins era.

ForeverHibs93
08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Collins made a lot of bad signings! O'Brien, Maka, Donaldson, Curier, Kerr and Morais to name a few :bitchy:

The players were fit under Collins but they also were unhappy resulting in a mutiny that was damaging to the club. Collins might have talked a good game but in the end when players moved on he didn't replace them with quality and our form dipped. His tactics were constantly changing and nearly always made subs in the first half or at half time.

JC did win a cup and was a great player for us but I think the current opinion of Hughes is causing people to look back with rose-tinted glasses at the Collins era.
I'd taKe him back at ER especially if we inist on playing the long ball, wouldn't you?

Houchy
08-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Maka did have his moments and, while I agree he was pretty gash, I still think there's a decent keeper in there somewhere.
MAC's also gone on to score a god few goals in a team where he gets less service than he did at ER. I'm not saying that he'd displace Ant and Deek but i think he'd be a better option than Nish as he can play wide too when Zemamma's injured (so he'd get a game more often than not).

But yes, the others really were amongst the worst signings i've seen at ER in a long time.

And you forgot Jonny fae leith.:greengrin

keep the faith
08-08-2010, 11:48 AM

:agree: spot on

Perspective
08-08-2010, 12:00 PM
These so-called duds were good enough to play Rangers off the park and win at Ibrox.

JC was the right guy for the job and did a lot of good. He helped modernise the plans for East Mains, the team were the fittest I've ever seen at Hibs and tactically well organised. Contrary to popular belief, his man-management skills can't be totally derided because many of the players loved working for him.

The only problem he had was the signings. I think if he had a second shot at it, on an increased budget he'd learn from his mistakes. After all, it was his first job.

I hope history is kind to him because he won the League Cup in style and gave me some great moments during his all-too-brief reign.

lucky
08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
He help us win a cup so we are grateful for that. But I cant beleive people want him back. How many on here have said we need an expreinced manager? not someone who is drive by idealoigy in same way Hughes is. JC is gone but not forgotten

Green Mikey
08-08-2010, 12:31 PM
These so-called duds were good enough to play Rangers off the park and win at Ibrox.

JC was the right guy for the job and did a lot of good. He helped modernise the plans for East Mains, the team were the fittest I've ever seen at Hibs and tactically well organised. Contrary to popular belief, his man-management skills can't be totally derided because many of the players loved working for him.

The only problem he had was the signings. I think if he had a second shot at it, on an increased budget he'd learn from his mistakes. After all, it was his first job.

I hope history is kind to him because he won the League Cup in style and gave me some great moments during his all-too-brief reign.

Tactically well organised? We changed tactics nearly every game under Collins and sometimes during the game usually with early subs. JC is the only manager I have ever known to make so many early subs. He had a second shot at management at Charleroi and wasn't a success there either.

JC had a similar budget to Mixu and Hughes, but he chose to spend it on players like Maka and O'Brien who were just not good enough. Managers have to work within the limits of their budget, IMO this is a huge part of a managers job. Collins was greatly lacking in this aspect of management.

sambajustice
08-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Thought JC was a pretty crap manager for us.

He totally has the right footballing ideas though, I reckon he'd make a superb Youth Coach, instilling the proper mentality into the young players regarding diet, behaviour and also how to play football by being comfortable on the ball.

The style of football he wanted us to play, you cant just get seasoned pro's to start doing it if they've never played like that before in their life, its something that they have to be brought up to do from a young age. I remember listening to JC on the tv, he was saying in Scotland we have to change our mentality, get young players comfortable on the ball, get them knocking it about etc. I would seriously consider putting JC in charge of Youth operations at ER, i know that probably wouldnt happen but the SFA could do worse than get him on board!

Still a crap manager tho!

Sandy
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Whilst I can see where you are coming from all I can say is 'CIS Cup' :rolleyes:

GloryGlory
08-08-2010, 01:11 PM

He totally has the right footballing ideas though, I reckon he'd make a superb Youth Coach, instilling the proper mentality into the young players regarding diet, behaviour and also how to play football by being comfortable on the ball.
The style of football he wanted us to play, you cant just get seasoned pro's to start doing it if they've never played like that before in their life, its something that they have to be brought up to do from a young age. I remember listening to JC on the tv, he was saying in Scotland we have to change our mentality, get young players comfortable on the ball, get them knocking it about etc. I would seriously consider putting JC in charge of Youth operations at ER, i know that probably wouldnt happen but the SFA could do worse than get him on board!

:agree: I think that is where JC's strengths lie - he would make a superb Academy Director.

Another of his mistakes as manager was appointing Craig as his assistant. He may have developed better as a manager, IMO, with a different character altogether beside him (maybe an older manager who had been over the course).

(((Fergus)))
08-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Tactically well organised? We changed tactics nearly every game under Collins and sometimes during the game usually with early subs. JC is the only manager I have ever known to make so many early subs. He had a second shot at management at Charleroi and wasn't a success there either.

JC had a similar budget to Mixu and Hughes, but he chose to spend it on players like Maka and O'Brien who were just not good enough. Managers have to work within the limits of their budget, IMO this is a huge part of a managers job. Collins was greatly lacking in this aspect of management.

how did he fail there? he kept them up and left at the end of the season after it looked like they were going down.

johnbc70
08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
The style of football he wanted us to play, you cant just get seasoned pro's to start doing it if they've never played like that before in their life, its something that they have to be brought up to do from a young age.

This is what Hughues is doing now, trying to get the likes of Hogg, Rankin and Nish playing as if they
are Puyol, Innestia and Torres. The slow passing game from the back does not suit the players we have,
I can see it, everyone else can see it so how come Hughes cannot?

Green Mikey
08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
how did he fail there? he kept them up and left at the end of the season after it looked like they were going down.

I didn't say he failed:greengrin I said he wasn't a success:wink:

He didn't really achieve much at Charleroi, it might not have been an abject failure but he very little of note when he was manager.

erskine-hibby
08-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Colins had but a fraction of the cash made available to Yogi or Mixu. So you have to look at what he was allowed to spend, to what type of player we actually got. IMHO JC would have this squad playing much better than Yogi does.

ahibby
09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
JC seemed to get his tactics right, and knew what he wanted from his players, BUT, he didnt seem to have an eye for a player. It seems to be that if we could have Mixu/Yogi as the player spotter, and JC as the coach/tactician, we would be on to a winner :wink:

JC would argue the point that he didn't have an eye for a player. The reason he gave for leaving is that RP never signed his first or second choice players and he was often left with his 3rd, 4th and even 5th choice recruits. RP apparently gets his managers to list his preferences for a position in order 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

Steve-O
09-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Whilst I can see where you are coming from all I can say is 'CIS Cup' :rolleyes:

Yes, very good, but I already covered that.

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM

On the money with all of that... :agree:

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Colins had but a fraction of the cash made available to Yogi or Mixu. So you have to look at what he was allowed to spend, to what type of player we actually got. IMHO JC would have this squad playing much better than Yogi does.

Hardly.

£200-250k *EACH* for Maka and Alan O'Brien...

Credit where its due - he brought in some absolute huddies!

Green Mikey
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
JC would argue the point that he didn't have an eye for a player. The reason he gave for leaving is that RP never signed his first or second choice players and he was often left with his 3rd, 4th and even 5th choice recruits. RP apparently gets his managers to list his preferences for a position in order 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

Collins' 1st chocie signings were players like Robson and Naismith who moved for big fees and wages to the OF. He was mad to expect Hibs to pay that sort of money for players.

Managers have to work within the budget they are given, JC couldn't do this and signed some really poor players.

1875 NO 1
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM

When he sign Therrie Gattusi, that was the only name he presented to Rod. Out of all the players in our price range he came up with HKF.

sesoim
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I can't believe how selective some folks memories are! Collins won the Cup, but his overall record was poor and his signings were shocking.

He might still do a decent job for someone in the future, but he made too many mistakes with us - frankly nobody should walk into the Hibs job without having at least done a couple of years managing a smaller club or coaching at a bigger club.

It didn't help that he employed Tommy Craig, who had a shocking reocrd before he came to Hibs but Collins seemed to be oblivious to this.

sesoim
09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
This is what Hughues is doing now, trying to get the likes of Hogg, Rankin and Nish playing as if they
are Puyol, Innestia and Torres. The slow passing game from the back does not suit the players we have,
I can see it, everyone else can see it so how come Hughes cannot?

Even if Hughes CAN see it, he has insisted on several occasions that he wont change his principles, whetever they are (to pass until you lose the ball?)

BEEJ
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Hardly.

£200-250k *EACH* for Maka and Alan O'Brien...

Credit where its due - he brought in some absolute huddies!
As a proportion of the money brought in through player sales under JC's tenure, this was but a tiny fraction. So I don't think he got a fair crack at the whip in that regard.

However, when you see the players he actually spent money on ..... :bitchy:

... and many of the free transfers he recruited as well .... :bitchy:

... spotting a player was clearly not his forte (nor Tommy Craig's for that matter).

ballengeich
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I can't believe how selective some folks memories are! Collins won the Cup, but his overall record was poor and his signings were shocking.

He might still do a decent job for someone in the future, but he made too many mistakes with us - frankly nobody should walk into the Hibs job without having at least done a couple of years managing a smaller club or coaching at a bigger club.

It didn't help that he employed Tommy Craig, who had a shocking reocrd before he came to Hibs but Collins seemed to be oblivious to this.

A good summary. I would add that his man-management skills were deficient, if there is any truth in the stories about player revolts. The key to JC's future will be whether he's learned from his mistakes at Hibs. Most people get better at jobs with experience (those who don't are the ones who're too stupid to develop). He showed traits which indicate to me that he could become very successful. IMO he was appointed as Hibs manager too early in his career.

(((Fergus)))
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I didn't say he failed:greengrin I said he wasn't a success:wink:

He didn't really achieve much at Charleroi, it might not have been an abject failure but he very little of note when he was manager.

He was signed to keep them up - which he did. That's all I was saying: he did what he was asked to do = success. Collins took them from the threat of relegation to 12th out of 18.

Tommy Craig took over as manager half-way through the next season (Nov/Dec 2009) but was sacked after losing 14 and drawing 3 of his 19 league games!

How much of the "Collins era" at Hibs is attributable to Tommy Craig?!

ian cruise
10-08-2010, 01:30 PM
like many its collins poor record in the transfer market that means i wouldnt like to see him back unless he was working with somebody else. i actually think that if he and hughes we working together you could have a decent good cop bad cop style management team, one to dish out the criticism and one to be their buddy when needed, collins in charge of fitness etc, hughes has the eye for a player and talks a good game to get them to the club. collins could do an excellent role in our youth academy but i fear he would deem that as a role beneath his abilities

Betty Boop
10-08-2010, 01:40 PM
like many its collins poor record in the transfer market that means i wouldnt like to see him back unless he was working with somebody else. i actually think that if he and hughes we working together you could have a decent good cop bad cop style management team, one to dish out the criticism and one to be their buddy when needed, collins in charge of fitness etc, hughes has the eye for a player and talks a good game to get them to the club. collins could do an excellent role in our youth academy but i fear he would deem that as a role beneath his abilities

No he wouldn't, as he is already mentoring young players in this project.

http://www.allmediascotland.com/media_releases/25853/john-collins-launches-first-scottish-platinum-group-for-young-aspiring-footballers

Baader
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Totally agree. Collins would make for an excellent coach or head of youth academy although I doubt very much he'd consider a position like this at club level for one second.

Just keep him away from the cheque book!

erskine-hibby
10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
As a proportion of the money brought in through player sales under JC's tenure, this was but a tiny fraction. So I don't think he got a fair crack at the whip in that regard.

However, when you see the players he actually spent money on ..... :bitchy:

... and many of the free transfers he recruited as well .... :bitchy:

... spotting a player was clearly not his forte (nor Tommy Craig's for that matter).

Can't really argue with that, though it must also be noted that he was unlucky enough to preside over the dismantling of what was left of a, IMHO, great team with little to replace them with.

rainman
10-08-2010, 03:58 PM
As said above, he bought *****. Utter dross in fact.

You don't need to compare the money he had to spend with Hughes or Mixu. Compare it with Mowbray.

Mowbray signed a few rips but all in all, he did well on a tighter budget.

Collins: -

An eye for a player - Scratch

Man management - Scratch

The bottle to follow a job through - Scratch

The ability to talk a good game without following it through with actions - Tick.

No thanks.

Bad Martini
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Hmmm....I hear all this ***** about what Mowbray "would have" done.....he had long enough to do it with more cash did he no? He won nothing. His teams would not have got past aberdeen.

Tony didny need to deal with backstabbing players and transfer requests either....and he still won **** all. Jc did tho!

Id take collins over hughes and id take him over mowbray anaw.

Yes he was ***** at signing players. IIRC tony (he who turned his back on the fans and done that ****ing celtc huddle) also signed zibby long term....and played konte ahead of deek! Brilliant!

JC won the cup and had hibs fitter with more balls than anyone else in years. Fact. He did have a big ego but he did know the score and moreover, loved/LOVES the hibs.

ENDOF

The_Todd
10-08-2010, 05:37 PM
As said above, he bought *****. Utter dross in fact.

You don't need to compare the money he had to spend with Hughes or Mixu. Compare it with Mowbray.

Mowbray signed a few rips but all in all, he did well on a tighter budget.

Collins: -

An eye for a player - Scratch

Man management - Scratch

The bottle to follow a job through - Scratch

The ability to talk a good game without following it through with actions - Tick.

No thanks.

Compare with Mowbray? Ok.

Trophies: Mowbray 0 - Collins 1.