PDA

View Full Version : Our forward line

H18sry
07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
What worries me is that we play with Stokes,Riordan and Pish up front, and we have no strikers on the bench to change things, we let Benji go, Byrne is away on loan so who have we got left to freshen up the forward line if things are not going our way? NOBODY
We had a bench full of defenders and midfielders on Thursday and not one forward, every team should have at least one striker on the bench, that goes from u-10's up to International football, we have 3 strikers [I use that term loosely mind] at our club and in my opinion that is just not good enough as there is no challenge for position as they all know that they will be involved at some stage on match day's. :grr:

since90plustwo
07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
after thursday i didnt even know we had a 'forward line'

LaMotta
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
What worries me is that we play with Stokes,Riordan and Pish up front, and we have no strikers on the bench to change things, we let Benji go, Byrne is away on loan so who have we got left to freshen up the forward line if things are not going our way? NOBODY
We had a bench full of defenders and midfielders on Thursday and not one forward, every team should have at least one striker on the bench, that goes from u-10's up to International football, we have 3 strikers [I use that term loosely mind] at our club and in my opinion that is just not good enough as there is no challenge for position as they all know that they will be involved at some stage on match day's. :grr:

Good point. Whats even more worrying is if one of them is to get injured. And by one of them I mean, Stokes or Riordan.

Baldy Foghorn
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Why feel the need to not use Colin's proper name, I don't understand this.... The man is a player and gives 100%.....

Shall we start calling all our players derogatory names, like Fart, Bogg, Wankin, Cack???

Lets leave that pish to the yams!!!!!

PeterboroHibee
07-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I noticed this the other day and its ridiculous. Even if Byrne wasnt out on loan, thats only 1 other striker out of the whole first team squad, unbelievable.

Yogi does take a fair bit of stick (a lot of it justified imo), but this is unacceptable, we are going into this season so unprepared, the balance of the squad is all wrong. Yogi really needs to get the finger out, we have some really good players at the squad but we will struggle if he doesnt acknowledge that other players do need brought in.

Dibben
07-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree with the points here, however, who is to say that we are not actively chasing strikers just now? I'm sure we'll get more players in before the season starts!

iwasthere1972
07-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Why feel the need to not use Colin's proper name, I don't understand this.... The man is a player and gives 100%.....

Shall we start calling all our players derogatory names, like Fart, Bogg, Wankin, Cack???

Please - anywhere except the Yams. Anyway thought Aberdeen were interested.

H18sry
07-08-2010, 11:35 AM

I have as much faith in Pish as you do the manager but the difference is I dont abuse any of them at the game

BEEJ
07-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Rumours seemingly abounding that Gow may be on his way to ER.

Not that that would help much, if true. :rolleyes:

houston1875
07-08-2010, 11:48 AM

agree

:top marks

AgentDaleCooper
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM

:tee hee:

DH1875
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree with the points here, however, who is to say that we are not actively chasing strikers just now? I'm sure we'll get more players in before the season starts!

Who? Like Gow:confused:. When Gow was let go by Plymouth did Yogi no say at the time that he would love to bring him back but he would have to move out players first. The way I see it we only really have 3 players that would be worth anything of note. Bamba, Stokes and Riordan. Can you imagine getting rid of Riordan for Gow :crazy:, which by the way would still only leave us with three forwards.

sauzee
07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
not an ounce of pace in all three of them,2 good center backs with pace,could mark all three at once

Perspective
07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
not an ounce of pace in all three of them,2 good center backs with pace,could mark all three at once

That's what worries me - no pace and no physical presence from any of the three.

It doesn't leave us with much option to vary the play.

It's a pointless argument now but I wish we'd kept Benji. He's a better target man than Nish, who tries his best but doesn't have the technique to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Baldy Foghorn
07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I have as much faith in Pish as you do the manager but the difference is I dont abuse any of them at the game

Is that because you sit and dont say a word and then leave after 70 minutes?:confused:

H18sry
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Is that because you sit and dont say a word and then leave after 70 minutes?:confused:

So you shouting foul and abusive language at my team is a way of supporting them :confused:

When I arrive or leave a ground is of no relevance to you, I pay for 2 season tickets for ER so whether I stay for 90 mins or 70 minutes Hibs still receive my cash :yawn:

And why are you hijacking a thread to cause another petty argument? Is that how you get off?

sauzee
07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
So you shouting foul and abusive language at my team is a way of supporting them :confused:

When I arrive or leave a ground is of no relevance to you, I pay for 2 season tickets for ER so whether I stay for 90 mins or 70 minutes Hibs still receive my cash :yawn:

And why are you hijacking a thread to cause another petty argument? Is that how you get off?

now,now R ,behave yourself :cool2: HAHA

Baldy Foghorn
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Did you hear me shouting foul and abusive language at "your" team? Don't think so......

Why feel the need to call players petty names which really belongs in the school playground?

Oh and I supported them to the final whistle.....

The thread was not hijacked ny me, I made a point on your name calling of players, is that how you get off?

H18sry
08-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Did you hear me shouting foul and abusive language at "your" team? Don't think so......

Why feel the need to call players petty names which really belongs in the school playground?

Oh and I supported them to the final whistle.....

The thread was not hijacked ny me, I made a point on your name calling of players, is that how you get off?

I did not need to hear anything, you admitted it yourself http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?189268-Family-Home

M11BMO
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Right kids, put the toys back in the pram...

Oh, and I agree 100% with the OP. It's something that needs to be adressed asap...

IWasThere2016
08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
We have too many unanswered weaknesses - keeper (still), CH, some would say LB and strikers. We need players in soon IMHO.

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Pish should never start. Deek and Stokes should always start together and Nish brought on later or preferably never.

Hibs On Tour
08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
That's what worries me - no pace and no physical presence from any of the three.

It doesn't leave us with much option to vary the play.

It's a pointless argument now but I wish we'd kept Benji. He's a better target man than Nish, who tries his best but doesn't have the technique to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Benji was many things but a target man he was not. Wasn't big enough or strong enough for that, although if the ball were played into his feet he was adept enough at holding play up. Definitely not a target man in the traditional sense of the word however.

sahib
08-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Benji was many things but a target man he was not. Wasn't big enough or strong enough for that, although if the ball were played into his feet he was adept enough at holding play up. Definitely not a target man in the traditional sense of the word however.

Disagree with that. I remember one game he came on for Killen, who many would regard as an typical target man, and he gave the departing player a masterclass in the role.

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Disagree with that. I remember one game he came on for Killen, who many would regard as an typical target man, and he gave the departing player a masterclass in the role.

Can people stop going on about Benji, he was gash.

Tha Cabbage Kid
08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
is de gaaf not a striker? thought he was a striker for his last club?

skipster7
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Pish should never start. Deek and Stokes should always start together and Nish brought on later or preferably never.
thats just a joke, was he pish when scoring 5 goals in our last 2 games of the season to clinch 4th spot ? why dont you drop back into the playground and call the other 2 keek and jokes while your at it:bitchy: while not great, nish was our ONLY out ball on thursday and never hid unlike most others.

HibbyAndy
08-08-2010, 06:04 PM
We have too many unanswered weaknesses - keeper (still), CH, some would say LB and strikers. We need players in soon IMHO.

Agreed :agree:

There BETTER be more players in before that window slams shut.

Perspective
08-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Maybe not a target man in the Kevin Kyle mould.

But his technique was such that he could hold the ball up well, lay it off or roll his man. At the very least he often drew a foul.

Hibs On Tour
09-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Maybe not a target man in the Kevin Kyle mould.

But his technique was such that he could hold the ball up well, lay it off or roll his man. At the very least he often drew a foul.

Agree that KK is mouldy! :wink:

By 'target man' I always think of old-style centre forwards like Shearer or Malcolm McDonald - big lads you could throw crosses into and would put themselves about a bit. Naturally they would have to score a good load of goals too.

Think Nish with better control and better goal ratio... :rolleyes:

Granted that Benji was an excellent technical forward who as you correctly say could hold up play or try to progress things with his good control drawing fouls in dangerous areas.

Last 'target man' we had was Killen...

jgl07
09-08-2010, 12:53 AM

By 'target man' I always think of old-style centre forwards like Shearer or Malcolm McDonald - big lads you could throw crosses into and would put themselves about a bit. Naturally they would have to score a good load of goals too.

Granted that Benji was an excellent technical forward who as you correctly say could hold up play or try to progress things with his good control drawing fouls in dangerous areas.

And also Konte!

H18sry
09-08-2010, 07:29 AM

And he would be available for a small fee from Boro I expect :wink:

marinello59
09-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Hasn't he signed for a Chinese club?

Pedantic_Hibee
09-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I heard a few whispers about that too, Marinello.

Have you fixed the iPad access yet, Sir? Mobile mode on this is killing me!

H18sry
09-08-2010, 08:12 AM

I was unaware of that :doh:

M11BMO
09-08-2010, 10:32 AM

He has indeed. Shenzhen Ruby F.C.

I would have welcomed him back...

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
He has indeed. Shenzhen Ruby F.C.

I would have welcomed him back...

Money grabbing and injury prone.... Would not want him back in a month of sundays

silverhibee
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM

He has. :agree:

DCI Gene Hunt
09-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I think getting the pish-soft defence sorted is a matter of more pressing urgency before worrying about our forwards...

Nish takes a lot of stick from some fans but at least he tries.

Speedway
09-08-2010, 12:56 PM

How did Wankin get past the sweary filter?

Please - anywhere except the Yams. Anyway thought Aberdeen were interested.

:greengrin

Maybe he was watching the game in order to form an opinion. Folk were leaving the game after 25 mins anway so 70 isn't a bad effort.

Stevie Reid
09-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I should probably have posted this in here: -

As much as Nish can be a frustrating player, he's usually at his most frustrating when asked to play with his back to goal, which clearly isn't playing to his strengths. The last game at Fir Park showed (as did Tannadice days later) that if you present Nish with chances in the penalty area, he can finish and finish well.

I cannot recall Nish missing many sitters in his time at Hibs, indeed I can think of many good and composed finishes - his left footed 25 yard chip against St. Mirren at ER being one in particular that stands out. When through on a one on one situation against St. Johnstone last season he also was very composed, drawing the keeper to win a penalty.

I get as frustrted with him as many Hibbies do, but that's usually when he's spent the whole game on his arse or giving fouls away because he's being utilised as a target man which he clearly isn't. But the biggest criticism of any striker should surely be missing lots of chances - an accusation that I do not believe can be fairly levelled at Nishy.

DCI Gene Hunt
09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

As much as Nish can be a frustrating player, he's usually at his most frustrating when asked to play with his back to goal, which clearly isn't playing to his strengths. The last game at Fir Park showed (as did Tannadice days later) that if you present Nish with chances in the penalty area, he can finish and finish well.

I cannot recall Nish missing many sitters in his time at Hibs, indeed I can think of many good and composed finishes - his left footed 25 yard chip against St. Mirren at ER being one in particular that stands out. When through on a one on one situation against St. Johnstone last season he also was very composed, drawing the keeper to win a penalty.

I get as frustrted with him as many Hibbies do, but that's usually when he's spent the whole game on his arse or giving fouls away because he's being utilised as a target man which he clearly isn't. But the biggest criticism of any striker should surely be missing lots of chances - an accusation that I do not believe can be fairly levelled at Nishy.

Well said Stevie. :agree:

since90plustwo
09-08-2010, 08:09 PM

haimilton :wink: that was one of the worst haha

sesoim
10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Rumours seemingly abounding that Gow may be on his way to ER.

Not that that would help much, if true. :rolleyes:

Complete waste of money if true. We need a physical striker that can header the ball and hold it up, getting the best out of who plays up front beside him, not an injury prone player who hasn't even got a clear position.

DH1875
10-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Was available on a free.

Money grabbing and injury prone.... Would not want him back in a month of sundays

Really? How you figure that? We should have had his contract well sorted out before celtic came sniffing around. To offer a guy who scored something like 15 goals in 25 games a one year contact was a joke. What was he ment to do, sign a one year contract with us or a 3 year contract with celtic.

Tell me who you would rather have up front, Nish or Killen?

DCI Gene Hunt
11-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Killen was a good scorer but too injury-prone.