PDA

View Full Version : Slovenian family in south upper

hibee-shtuggie
06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Thought someone else might have posted this so i will just have to do it. I was in the South stand upper last night and arrived a wee bit early to get a butchers and a few pictures of the new East stand. About 10 minutes before kick off a family came and sat in the row in front of me. they didn't look Scottish and me and my bro jsut presumed they were tourists and discussed how Hibs could tap into the festival market for increased ticket sales. It soon became apparent however that the family were Maribor fans. Having annoyed me at first i soon came to value their being there as i feel it added someting to my night. the dad in particular was hilarious. However, why werent they in the designated section for away support? very peculiar. when they scored they were the only people cheering was hilarious. at one point the mother made a hilarious noise when all was quiet and a guy looked at her with the most incredulous look i have ever seen. good to see a young lad shake his hand on his way out!! surprised they managed to get out relatively hassle free!

Hibee_Lisa
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
You must have been in the same row as me, I was sat directly behind the woman the noise she let out was hilarious. Must say it did annoy me slightly them being there especially as they made know secret of who they were supporting. Like you say well done to the guy who shook hands with them all can't say id be big enough to do the same.

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
There was quite a few in the area in front of the press seats. We got in early doors and my youngest swapped his hibs scarf for a Maribor one with one of their fans. Now proudly on his bedroom wall.

Pity we don't get the chance to meet and greet more fans in Europe.

hibee-shtuggie
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
You must have been in the same row as me, I was sat directly behind the woman the noise she let out was hilarious. Must say it did annoy me slightly them being there especially as they made know secret of who they were supporting. Like you say well done to the guy who shook hands with them all can't say id be big enough to do the same.

yeah annoyed me at first too as if i was in another stadium supporting hibs in the home end i would keep dead quiet. as i said, surprised to see they didnt't get a bit more bother. aye the young lad who shook his hand fair play if you are on here mate, but i couldn't bring myself to do it...maybe i need to mature!!! :thumbsup:

euro Hibby
06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
always beats me why people cannot sit together because they support different teams. Its one of the bad things about football.

BEEJ
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
always beats me why people cannot sit together because they support different teams. Its one of the bad things about football.
:agree:

I recently attended a major league baseball fixture between the Seattle Mariners and the Boston Red Sox. Fans sitting amongst one another, banter and exchange of views but no animosity, no swearing and no apparent need for crowd segregation.

Oh and you're allowed to drink beer or wine in the seated area of the stadium. Thought I'd strayed on to another planet!

And I can only say that the atmosphere and the occasion was great.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe they stay in Edinburgh, but, come from Slovenia, if it was the radges from the high street, I can understand people being annoyed, but, 1 family, surely not!

steviecarnie
06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
We had 2 foreign guys in front of us (South Lower) i just assumed they were polish tbh, they never cheered or anything, or looked that interested in the game either. I dunno why you wouldnt shake hands with them for supporting another team :confused: especially in europe, not as if we have a huge rivalry with maribor.

1two
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Because we all know what would happen at a football match if that was the case.
Imagine a mixed tynecastle or er on derby day.

It's not just a Scottish cultural thing it's a football cultural thing. No idea why though! Is football more passionate than other sports? Does football just attract the radges?

1two
06-08-2010, 05:02 PM
We had 2 foreign guys in front of us (South Lower) i just assumed they were polish tbh, they never cheered or anything, or looked that interested in the game either. I dunno why you wouldnt shake hands with them for supporting another team :confused: especially in europe, not as if we have a huge rivalry with maribor.

I was in the ff and had a polish couple of guys in front of me. One with a hibs strip. Good to see Easter road attracting polish people from the community!

Thigh ar la
06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I was in the ff and had a polish couple of guys in front of me. One with a hibs strip. Good to see Easter road attracting polish people from the community!
:top marks

Greentinted
06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Because we all know what would happen at a football match if that was the case.
Imagine a mixed tynecastle or er on derby day.

It's not just a Scottish cultural thing it's a football cultural thing. No idea why though! Is football more passionate than other sports? Does football just attract the radges?

Its no that long ago when you could use the family enclosure (Old North enclosure) for both sets of fans on derby day. I mind going in there with the ex-missus who was yamboidally persuaded and never witnessed any bother. Have we really regressed so much in the last decade or so? Actually we probably have!

tony higgins
06-08-2010, 07:29 PM

I recently attended a major league baseball fixture between the Seattle Mariners and the Boston Red Sox. Fans sitting amongst one another, banter and exchange of views but no animosity, no swearing and no apparent need for crowd segregation.

Oh and you're allowed to drink beer or wine in the seated area of the stadium. Thought I'd strayed on to another planet!

Just like the Rugby and about every other spectator sport on the planet.

down-the-slope
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Its no that long ago when you could use the family enclosure (Old North enclosure) for both sets of fans on derby day. I mind going in there with the ex-missus who was yamboidally persuaded and never witnessed any bother. Have we really regressed so much in the last decade or so? Actually we probably have!

:agree: sadly we have....I'm no ancient...yet I still remember swapping ends at half time...graet fun..

Can you think of that now:shocked:

Dunkin' Donut
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM

i'd much rather have it segregated than a mixed support. it create's more of an atmosphere and who'd want to be sitting next to an opposing fan when you concede a goal? mixed fans are for the hooray henry's who go to rugby games.

clerriehibs
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Thought someone else might have posted this so i will just have to do it. I was in the South stand upper last night and arrived a wee bit early to get a butchers and a few pictures of the new East stand. About 10 minutes before kick off a family came and sat in the row in front of me. they didn't look Scottish and me and my bro jsut presumed they were tourists and discussed how Hibs could tap into the festival market for increased ticket sales. It soon became apparent however that the family were Maribor fans. Having annoyed me at first i soon came to value their being there as i feel it added someting to my night. the dad in particular was hilarious. However, why werent they in the designated section for away support? very peculiar. when they scored they were the only people cheering was hilarious. at one point the mother made a hilarious noise when all was quiet and a guy looked at her with the most incredulous look i have ever seen. good to see a young lad shake his hand on his way out!! surprised they managed to get out relatively hassle free!

You were discussing how Hibs could tap into the tourist market ... and then got annoyed at some tourists? :confused::confused:

yeah annoyed me at first too as if i was in another stadium supporting hibs in the home end i would keep dead quiet. as i said, surprised to see they didnt't get a bit more bother. aye the young lad who shook his hand fair play if you are on here mate, but i couldn't bring myself to do it...maybe i need to mature!!! :thumbsup:

You'd 'support' Hibs by being dead quiet? How would they know you were supporting them? :confused:

Nothing quite so odd as football fans.

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
i think he meant supporting hibs in the home end at an away stadium. E.g. In the Copland Road stand at Ibrox.

CropleyWasGod
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
i'd much rather have it segregated than a mixed support. it create's more of an atmosphere and who'd want to be sitting next to an opposing fan when you concede a goal? mixed fans are for the hooray henry's who go to rugby games.

... or for those who are mature enough to go to games with their mates who support the other side.

hibee-shtuggie
06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
You were discussing how Hibs could tap into the tourist market ... and then got annoyed at some tourists? :confused::confused:

You'd 'support' Hibs by being dead quiet? How would they know you were supporting them? :confused:

Nothing quite so odd as football fans.

i think you are missing my point entirely. we were discussing the possibility of neutral fans in the hibs end in from the festival. i just wondered why they werent in the designated support section for Maribor?

hibee-shtuggie
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
i think he meant supporting hibs in the home end at an away stadium. E.g. In the Copland Road stand at Ibrox.

yeah thanks for clearing up my crap grammar!! thats what i meant.

Dunkin' Donut
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
... or for those who are mature enough to go to games with their mates who support the other side.

fair enough, a mixed support is something i defo wouldn't want to see in today's game though.

RoYO!
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
My sister used to collect Slovenian families, was never a fan myself :wink:

http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=uk&client=safari&q=salvanian%20family#i=5

smithyhibee1875
06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
trust the tourists to get lost :faf:

Nakedmanoncrack
06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
:agree: sadly we have....I'm no ancient...yet I still remember swapping ends at half time...graet fun..

Can you think of that now:shocked:

Ahh the trouble free days of old..........which were of course considerably more violent than today.

LancashireHibby
07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
From the point of view of the Slovenian family, I'm sure they would have had much more fun being sat amongst the Hibs fans than the four of them being segregated in a corner surrounded by stewards, police etc.

As for the festival market, the place was rammed today - even if we attracted less than 10% of those people to the odd home game early in the season then it'd be a big boost to attendances and, you never know, they might become fans for life.

Steve-O
07-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Having attended quite a few rugby games now, I can confirm that being in a mixed support is fine, but pretty boring really - atmosphere at 99% of rugby games is pish compared to the football. So, we'll just leave it how it is, thank you please. :agree:

DH1875
07-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Sorry mate but that don't half make me chuckle. Would be intrested to know if you were in Boston or Seattle and how many visiting fans were at the stadium. It's like a 6000 mile round trip. If it was a regular season game you can keep em, 9 out of ten games the atmosphere is dross, could be somthing to do with them playing on week days so even home fans can't get to games. The games last for hours and if you telling me you didn't hear at least one swear word :tsk tsk:.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Baseball though? Wouldn't you rather stick pins in your eyes?

And let's face it - the Yanks enjoy their sport at home and leave all the animosities for their other favourite pastime when knocking seven shades of **** out of the rest of the planet.

Gala Foxes
07-08-2010, 12:06 PM
A couple of us bought Maribor t-shirts in the square before the game last thursday , at €10 it seemed a pretty good value souvenir. Surprised to see the Evening News advertising it on page 7 in Friday's News - modelled by a huckled Maribor fan

Maribor fans we met in the square were sound

BEEJ
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry mate but that don't half make me chuckle. Would be intrested to know if you were in Boston or Seattle and how many visiting fans were at the stadium. It's like a 6000 mile round trip. If it was a regular season game you can keep em, 9 out of ten games the atmosphere is dross, could be somthing to do with them playing on week days so even home fans can't get to games. The games last for hours and if you telling me you didn't hear at least one swear word :tsk tsk:.
In Seattle. It was the Friday night fixture so a surprising number of Boston fans were present. Fewer the night before apparently and many, many more were present for the Saturday night match.

Match lasted for two and a half hours. No swearing where I was sitting but I'm pretty sure a few frustrated expletives would have been uttered by Mariners fans across the stadium over the course of the evening - they're having a lousy season. :greengrin

Baseball though? Wouldn't you rather stick pins in your eyes?
For a first time I found it quite interesting. I can see how if you lived over there you might start to follow it. However, still trying to make sense of all the stats and abbreviations so loved by the Yanks for what is ultimately a glorified game of rounders.

And let's face it - the Yanks enjoy their sport at home and leave all the animosities for their other favourite pastime when knocking seven shades of **** out of the rest of the planet.
:greengrin You never waste an opportunity to make political points out of threads otherwise focused on the lighter side of life.

Iggy Pope
07-08-2010, 02:32 PM
In Seattle. It was the Friday night fixture so a surprising number of Boston fans were present. Fewer the night before apparently and many, many more were present for the Saturday night match.

Match lasted for two and a half hours. No swearing where I was sitting but I'm pretty sure a few frustrated expletives would have been uttered by Mariners fans across the stadium over the course of the evening - they're having a lousy season. :greengrin

For a first time I found it quite interesting. I can see how if you lived over there you might start to follow it. However, still trying to make sense of all the stats and abbreviations so loved by the Yanks for what is ultimately a glorified game of rounders.

:greengrin You never waste an opportunity to make political points out of threads otherwise focused on the lighter side of life.

I am an agitator and proud of it :timebomb:. I do hope you enjoyed your holiday though, other than sitting through the Baseball.

BEEJ
07-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I am an agitator and proud of it :timebomb:. I do hope you enjoyed your holiday though, other than sitting through the Baseball.
I did, thanks! We all had a great time (even at the baseball....)

:greengrin