PDA

View Full Version : Maribor in SPL

Seany HFC 7-0
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
There is no getting away from the fact that Maribor are actually a very good team even though we didn't play well they were far superior for us. How would they get on in our league? I could see them winning the SPL or at least challening. Technically they are an excellent side.

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
There is no getting away from the fact that Maribor are actually a very good team even though we didn't play well they were far superior for us. How would they get on in our league? I could see them winning the SPL or at least challening. Technically they are an excellent side.

What's their squad like? Have they got strength in depth?

Seany HFC 7-0
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
What's their squad like? Have they got strength in depth?

Have Rangers?

Antifa Hibs
06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
We made Maribor look better than they are, on both ties. We made it look easy for them as we were all over the place.

NK Maribor turn over 1,000,000 euros per season. They average 1500 fans per week. They are no bigger than Dunfi, Dundee etc etc. Huns humped them 6-1 agg about 5 years ago.

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Have Rangers?

Don't know. They usually have though.

I thought you had knowledge of Maribor to base your assessment on - I assumed it wasn't just based on 2 games against us, cos on that basis you could say St Johnstone could win the SPL.

We'll get some more perspective on Maribor when they play the Italian side.

bigwheel
06-08-2010, 01:31 PM
My honest view is that they would be 3rd or 4th at best. They clearly have good skill middle to front and their workrate was excellent, but they looked nothing special in defence and , to me, they looked no better than say Dundee Utd of last season. Equally with a few more weeks prep and an understanding of how they play, I think they would be very beatable. Good movement and lovely touch, but not an excellent team in any way...

Seany HFC 7-0
06-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Don't know. They usually have though.

I thought you had knowledge of Maribor to base your assessment on - I assumed it wasn't just based on 2 games against us, cos on that basis you could say St Johnstone could win the SPL.

We'll get some more perspective on Maribor when they play the Italian side.

They don't at the moment no.
Aye you could but the way they were organised last night and moving the ball around suggested they were a very decent side. I agree that we were pish but take nothing away from them, they done what they needed to do but as you say we shall see how they get on next round

andyg
06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
They are the biggest team in slovenia (when looking at champioship wins or runners-up)
Would scotland beat Slovenia? Probably not.
They are technically better than us. So we got beat by a better team.
Rangers or Celtic would have toiled to beat them over 2 legs.
Plus we are still in pre-season they are three games into there season so are match fit.

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
They are the biggest team in slovenia (when looking at champioship wins or runners-up)
Would scotland beat Slovenia? Probably not.
They are technically better than us. So we got beat by a better team.
Rangers or Celtic would have toiled to beat them over 2 legs.
Plus we are still in pre-season they are three games into there season so are match fit.

The pre-season thing doesn't matter though - their international team's better than ours so that means they're a better team than us.

New Zealand were in the World Cup this year so that must mean that Auckland Warriors are better than us as well?

sam armstrong
06-08-2010, 01:44 PM

If they played Rangers or Celtic they would be ousiders. If Dundee United played them it would be a lot closer than we managed. We were pretty hopeless and it's difficult to see any improvement with these players and Yogi as manager.

andyg
06-08-2010, 01:50 PM
The pre-season thing doesn't matter though - their international team's better than ours so that means they're a better team than us.

New Zealand were in the World Cup this year so that must mean that Auckland Warriors are better than us as well?

of course pre-season matters. Players need to keep up with the pace of the match.

Andy74
06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
We're no closer to knowing how good Maribor are because we chose not to engage them at all over two games.

ahibby
06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
We're no closer to knowing how good Maribor are because we chose not to engage them at all over two games.

I'm interested in the point you've made Andy. At what level do you think that choice was made, individual players, group of players or management?

Hibercelona
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Maribor aren't that good at all but they didn't have to be good to beat us.

The put 6 past us in 2 games without even doing anything spectacular.

Lets just face the facts, we're utter mince.

Andy74
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm interested in the point you've made Andy. At what level do you think that choice was made, individual players, group of players or management?

It has to be management. I can see what we tried to do in the first game and actually think we had far better of the game over there than we did here. However, we didn't really test them, we slowed things down and we fannied about back and sideways.

I honestly felt we would have a real up nad at them performance last night. I fully expected to create a number of chances and really take the game to them.

All I saw was some weak chips up front to Nish and some lame attempts to win the second ball. No passion, no tempo, no getting the ball down and taking it to them.

Hughes set them up that way and from his interview he seemed happy with the way we went about it. I've backed him all the way but for me that disconnect was worrying. I believe the players stuck to their tasks but the tasks were not right in the first place.

They had some lovely touches but at home we should have been all over them to the extent they were not confortable doing that. I thought a few times last night about how welcoming the whole thing was last night with the stand not being open and the fact we had no tempo or passion. That team would have felt right at home and well in their comfort zone.

Thigh ar la
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Maribor did all they had to do to win that game. Just basically being able to pass the ball, make wide runs and show some grit in their tackling etc.
They are NOT a great team and anyone that thinks they are obviously dosent realise just how bad Hibs are at the moment...

Seany HFC 7-0
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Maribor did all they had to do to win that game. Just basically being able to pass the ball, make wide runs and show some grit in their tackling etc.
They are NOT a great team and anyone that thinks they are obviously dosent realise just how bad Hibs are at the moment...

Aye right son. Hibs were pish but they are a good team. Stevie Wonder could see they are a decent team. Like i say for as much hibs were pish maribo were good.

Thigh ar la
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Aye right son. Hibs were pish but they are a good team. Stevie Wonder could see they are a decent team. Like i say for as much hibs were pish maribo were good.

I didnt say they were not a good team. I said they are not a great team.
So we kind of agree..