PDA

View Full Version : Tactics against Maribor

in-me-pocket
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Hoof the ball up to to Nish and hope for the best.

That was about it.

Thing is, Nish is cr@p in the air, holding the ball up, shooting and passing.
So apart from it being a terrible to watch it was never going to work anyway.
Maribor defence loved it.

Also, how obvious was it that we needed some width ?
It was screaming out for a winger but Yogi obviously didn't see it.
His genious tactical substitution was to swap both full backs when we were 2-1 down.
What was that all about ?

Until we get a decent manager who knows the importance of shape and tactics I'll no be back.

Brads Laing
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM

That was about it.

His genious tactical substitution was to swap both full backs when we were 2-1 down.

Until we get a decent manager who knows the importance of shape and tactics I'll no be back.
You probably have a right to be annoyed with the tactics and Yogi, but seriously do you think not turning up is going to help, get a grip. You can never call yourself a supporter again if you only turn up when were playing well, but then again if your that bad none of us real supporters want you there anyway.

bighairyfaeleith
06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
what is the qualifications to become a real supporter?:confused:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
what is the qualifications to become a real supporter?:confused:

This should be interesting. :greengrin

Zondervan
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM

You are never there anyway. :cool2:

Tend to agree with all you say Mr G, but I will be at Motherwell next week. Feel free to join us on the 9am train!

Lang Toun Hibs
06-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Tactics against Maribor

We were playing 4-3-3 which seemed to become 4-2-4 when we had the ball. The ethos of playing a nice crisp passing game worked until the full backs got on the ball but then there was no one to pass to (apart from Miller and McBride loitering int he centre circle or thereabouts) so what option di the full backs have than to play it long towards Nish with Riordan, Stokes and de Graaf waiting for whatever came.

That was about it.

He's better at holding the ball up and flicking the ball on than anyone else in the current squad. To be honest, I think he should have got a couple of his headers on target last night.

The damage was done in the first leg and once we gave away the soft goal at the corner then that was it but I do believe the players genuinely tried their best. The tactics were wrong and they were wrong in the first leg but it's easy to say that now after the event

So did their midfield and forwards!

Strange for sure but hopefully something he will learn from. Had he been more adventurous in the first leg perhaps we could have had an away goal or two to look to but losing 3-0 followed by losing the first last night, it didn't matter what he did. Remember de Graaf's two efforts before we went 1 down last night - even if one of them had gone in we could have seen a totally different game but, as for Danny Galbraith coming on at left back! I assume the plan was for him to go wide left but as soon as he cam on it appeared Riordan had been told to go through the middle so we were back to square one in terms of the fullbacks/anyone wide of centre having to resort to pumping the ball into the box.

Who would we get and what would it cost us? Yogi has attracted a lot of excellent players to the club and I've no doubt we are a better side than we have shown over the two legs of the European tie and I suppose for much of the end of last season. I'm hoping that he is acknowleding his mistakes and learning from them - should we be constantly changing the goalkeeper and the back four? Should he tone down his motivational stuff when on the touchline - anyone who has sat near the dugout will know he screams abuse at his own players. He would surely be better channeling his passion in a more constuctive way?

I would question whether changing manager just now would be a good move or would it just end up costing us with a big pay off and then we'd get some other average manager to come in and do the same or worse. At the end of the day we finished 4th last year and I'm sure we all felt a bit of disappointment from what could have been i.e. there could be even better times ahead if Yogi can get it right. He wants to play the game the right way with accurate sharp passing with purpose and movement off the ball - we certainly got a lesson in that last night so lets learn the lesson that Maribor delivered to us last night.

As for not coming back...I don't believe you! I was in the West Lower last night and felt like a peacemaker for most of the first half as fans vented their frustrations on each other. After the final whistle I left the ground wondering if I was enjoying coming to the games as much as I used to. For a tie such as last night I had seriously considered taking my family along with me but given the agro, I'm glad I didn't as I would had to have left. So I've let things settle today and reconsidered my thoughts and there is not a hope in hell of me saying that I'm never going back. Dispite my doubts last night, I know I'll be back for more!