PDA

View Full Version : Nae Width, Far too Narrow

macca70
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
There was no width in that team whatsoever last night.

I think I could count on 1 hand the amount of crosses we put in from wide positions.

We were crying out for a winger eg wetherspoon or Galbraith.

Both Murray and Hart were receiving the ball in full back positions and there only options were to play it back inside or hoof it up to Nishy. There was acres up the wings to play a pass into a winger.

Yogi's game plan from the kick off was to play the direct ball up to Nish with Stokes and Deek to feed off him.

Played right into Maribor's hands, if that's that tactics our Master tactician continues with there is no doubt we'll be in a bottom six battle this season.

The pitch looks so wide now that it's been widened, let's use it.

Deeks for about 1st 5 mins of 2nd half played way out on the left and it was effective.

Half the stadium was screaming out for more width, how can Yogi set his team up to play through the middle like that, unbelievable!!!

in-me-pocket
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
There was no width in that team whatsoever last night.

I think I could count on 1 hand the amount of crosses we put in from wide positions.

We were crying out for a winger eg wetherspoon or Galbraith.

Both Murray and Hart were receiving the ball in full back positions and there only options were to play it back inside or hoof it up to Nishy. There was acres up the wings to play a pass into a winger.

Yogi's game plan from the kick off was to play the direct ball up to Nish with Stokes and Deek to feed off him.

Played right into Maribor's hands, if that's that tactics our Master tactician continues with there is no doubt we'll be in a bottom six battle this season.

The pitch looks so wide now that it's been widened, let's use it.

Deeks for about 1st 5 mins of 2nd half played way out on the left and it was effective.

Half the stadium was screaming out for more width, how can Yogi set his team up to play through the middle like that, unbelievable!!!

Agree 100%. How the manager couldn't see that even 10 minutes into the game is beyond me.

Keith_M
06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
:agree:

macca70
06-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Agree 100%. How the manager couldn't see that even 10 minutes into the game is beyond me.

That was Yogi's instruction to the players straight from the kick off, they were specifically told to play that narrow.

Think Yogi wanted to bombard them straight from kick off with the long high ball but clearly at that level you need to be much more creative.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
For the first time in a while, I was sitting in a seat that was quite high up and I could notice things that I wouldn't necessarily see in my previous seat.

One of the things that was absolutely glaringly obvious, almost from the very start, was what the OP has just said in their post. When the full backs (Hart and Murray) had the ball, there was ACRES of space ahead of them out on the wings with no-one in a green shirt anywhere to be found in those areas.

If we can see that, why can't the management team and, if they did see it, why wasn't something done to change things?

It was really frustrating to see this happen, time after time.

allezsauzee
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm in complete agreement. I would like to have seen Spoony right midfield to give Hart an outlet and some help defensively.

M11BMO
06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
It's so frustrating.

Bring back Ivan.

Andy74
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
The players were out there justt to quickly change the approach. It was really a 442 with Stokes and nish up with Riordan and De Graaf in the 'wide' positions.

Unfortunately the wide players played narrow in behind the front two and it did not work and scarily was not changed.

Sir Mixulot
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Saw anoter thread about some guy sayin he felt he was in 'that 5%' and after last night so do i to be honest! It is obvious that Yogi deployed those tactics from the offing. the fact there was lots of space on the wings was a result of the fact that we had so many players in the middle which were being marked. wat i wud agree with is that it was too narrow and predictable. although to be fair it very nearly worked out wi three good chances early on before they scored. however the way we were set up goin long to hish was really the only option but that was the game plan. wat would have been better was playin a winger on the one side at least and concentrate the play down one side whilst still having the option to go long especially wi the other player being close to nish for him to knock balls down to. that is essentially what happened in the second half with riordan on the left and stokes stayin inside. when spoony came on we also had the option to go down the right side which worked reasonably well at times. the problem is that if we went with a winger or wide midfield player down both sides that could well have allowed their midfield to boss the game as the pitch would have been far more open. not a big fan of the tactics we played but to be fair we did get in about them quite well at times and unsettled them although after their goal and their superior fitness kicking in we struggled.

It is diffficult when you come up against a better team.

For the first time in a while, I was sitting in a seat that was quite high up and I could notice things that I wouldn't necessarily see in my previous seat.

One of the things that was absolutely glaringly obvious, almost from the very start, was what the OP has just said in their post. When the full backs (Hart and Murray) had the ball, there was ACRES of space ahead of them out on the wings with no-one in a green shirt anywhere to be found in those areas.

If we can see that, why can't the management team and, if they did see it, why wasn't something done to change things?

It was really frustrating to see this happen, time after time.

TariqE
06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
There was no width in that team whatsoever last night. :agree:

I think I could count on 1 hand the amount of crosses we put in from wide positions. :agree:

We were crying out for a winger eg wetherspoon or Galbraith. :agree:

Both Murray and Hart were receiving the ball in full back positions and there only options were to play it back inside or hoof it up to Nishy. There was acres up the wings to play a pass into a winger. :agree:

Yogi's game plan from the kick off was to play the direct ball up to Nish with Stokes and Deek to feed off him. :agree:

Played right into Maribor's hands, if that's that tactics our Master tactician continues with there is no doubt we'll be in a bottom six battle this season. :agree:

The pitch looks so wide now that it's been widened, let's use it. :agree:

Deeks for about 1st 5 mins of 2nd half played way out on the left and it was effective. :agree:

Half the stadium was screaming out for more width, how can Yogi set his team up to play through the middle like that, unbelievable!!! :no way:

Last point- have to disagree. More than half the stadium.

Kato
06-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Yogi likes to see an expansive game but he doesn't use the wings, everything is funneled in from the sides as soon as possible.

In other words he talks a load of rubbish.

He hasn't a clue how to build play down the wings, he hasn't a clue how to break through the oppositions midfield. So his "passing game" looks like exactly what it is - aimless and unproductive.

macca70
21-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Nearly 2 months on and nothings changed :grr:

WE NEED MORE WIDTH IN THE TEAM!!!

At 1 point on Saturday, Dickoh had the ball on the half way line, there was no movement and noone in a wide position showing for the ball. Dickoh actually had to point and shout at De Graaf to move from his central position to go out wide so he could get the ball to him.

Its very clear that the left and right midfielders are being instructed to play narrow and more central.

Maybe if we had attacking full backs, bombing up the wings then fair enough but we've not.

We can't continue with this narrow formation and playing in front of teams, we have to use the wings more to get in behind teams.

Maybe its not apparerent from dug out level but it's glaringly obvious from my seat in the top tier.

tamig
21-09-2010, 01:58 PM

At 1 point on Saturday, Dickoh had the ball on the half way line, there was no movement and noone in a wide position showing for the ball. Dickoh actually had to point and shout at De Graaf to move from his central position to go out wide so he could get the ball to him.

Its very clear that the left and right midfielders are being instructed to play narrow and more central.

Maybe if we had attacking full backs, bombing up the wings then fair enough but we've not.

We can't continue with this narrow formation and playing in front of teams, we have to use the wings more to get in behind teams.

Maybe its not apparerent from dug out level but it's glaringly obvious from my seat in the top tier.

And its been going on for much longer than since the start of this season. We must be a joy to defend against.

sunshine1875
21-09-2010, 02:13 PM

What confused me about Saturday was that Galbraith came on and then spent the remainder of the game lost in midfield trying to get into the game rather than IMO sitting out in the wing and waiting for the ball to be played into space for him to run onto. Ok, I know it is expected that every played has to get involved and work for the team, but I felt that Galbarith was wasted doing that role. Instead had he kept to the wing and be the 'out' ball for our midfield, I don't think it would have been long before Reid would have been asking his midfielders to help out his right back then creating more space for our midfield.

What I would like to know is what instructions Yogi gave Galbraith. Was it stick to the wing - then Galbraith is a fault. If it was, get into midfield and track back and forth closing players down, then IMO it is Yogi that is wrong.

ahibby
21-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't know where it would come from though. De Graf gets the ball just inside our own half when his only out was a chip to Nish in front of their box. The pass was accurate enough and Nish got to it with his head and knocked it down but unfortunately no one was there to get on the end of the knock down. That kind of thing isn't a new problem with Hibs we played the same way and had the same problems under Mixu. One problem is that there isn't enough movement and too much standing around ball watching. When De Graf gets in to a spot like that it needs either Riordan or Miller to see that they need to move to take a knock down unfortunately there is no movement. I'm going to be saying unfortunately a lot unfortunately.

NeilT
21-09-2010, 03:03 PM
For me, the balance is all wrong in the midfield. McBride, Miller and De Graff all want to play in the same area and are often on top of each other.

De Graff played centre mid in Holland and clearly does not know how to play on the right. He is out of position and to accomodate him we are asking Wotherspoon to play out of position on the left.

I think you have to bite the bullet and agree that McBride, Miller and De Graff can't all play in the same team. Choose 2 of them for the centre.

Then put Wotherspoon in right mid - he is about the only player we have (in the absence of Zemmama) that actually takes players on.

And put someone in left mid who will be comfortable there - take your pick from Murray, Galbraith or Rankin.

Albion Hibs
21-09-2010, 07:11 PM
For me, the balance is all wrong in the midfield. McBride, Miller and De Graff all want to play in the same area and are often on top of each other.

De Graff played centre mid in Holland and clearly does not know how to play on the right. He is out of position and to accomodate him we are asking Wotherspoon to play out of position on the left.

I think you have to bite the bullet and agree that McBride, Miller and De Graff can't all play in the same team. Choose 2 of them for the centre.

Then put Wotherspoon in right mid - he is about the only player we have (in the absence of Zemmama) that actually takes players on.

And put someone in left mid who will be comfortable there - take your pick from Murray, Galbraith or Rankin.

I think the problem is our wide players are not good enough. Wotherspoon looks slow, and Galbraith seemed to spend much of saturday being told to come back by Yogi - perhaps to give Grounds more help.

Not to sure how we solve this one, fast wide players wont come cheap and decent ones are going to be hard to find. I we cant play wide then our midfielder are going to have to take more responsibility for moving up the park so our centre forwards are not on the end of a hoof (we never win in the air), or with there back to goal 10 yards over the half way line.