PDA

View Full Version : Craig Brown Vs. John Hughes

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Apologies if this has been mentioned but after putting on the TV this morning i have watched the interviews with Craig Brown and Yogi.

I am not advocating Hibs sacking Yogi and hiring Craig Brown just because he has had a few results but i was impressed with what he had to say regarding his team's performance last night.

Motherwell won 3-0 on the night and Craig Brown immediately said..

"what we have to acknowledge is that we were not the better team tonight, they were better passers of the ball and consequently passed better than us"

"steven craigan was superb however he had a very shaky start and there are a couple of things we were not happy about and we will have to work on"

"i noticed very quickly we were under pressure in the middle of the park so i changed the formation accordingly to relieve that pressure"

"if we are to advance we need to play alot better as we did not deserve to win tonight"

A couple of things struck me after hearing this. Craig brown is quite harsh in regards to his team's performance but most of his criticism is constructive. Yogi has never discussed a player's performance critically other than "thought he stuck in well" or words to that effect.

Brown very quickly noticed his team were being done in midfield so he changed, quickly. Furthermore he brought on a young lad in midfield who is a centre half because he has "good legs" and is "athletic". He needed a specific player to play a specific role in the last 10 minutes and asked him to do a job-he did that job with aplomb!!!!

We get "i felt we played some good stuff", "players are going to have to become coaches" and the best " i am screaming at ma strikers to drop deep and the wingers to duck in?". Players shouldn't be coaches. He has to coach them with the correct tactics. Why weren't the players schooled before the game re: strikers dropping deep, wingers tucking in? This drivel is followed by the interview equivalent of 'running away'-"we're building a great stand/stadium and ma heart skipped a beat when a drove up here tonight!!!!". ENOUGH!!!

McKenzie
06-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Magnum Hibee

Craig Brown Vs. John Hughes
Apologies if this has been mentioned but after putting on the TV this morning i have watched the interviews with Craig Brown and Yogi.

I am not advocating Hibs sacking Yogi and hiring Craig Brown just because he has had a few results but i was impressed with what he had to say regarding his team's performance last night.

Motherwell won 3-0 on the night and Craig Brown immediately said..

"what we have to acknowledge is that we were not the better team tonight, they were better passers of the ball and consequently passed better than us"

"steven craigan was superb however he had a very shaky start and there are a couple of things we were not happy about and we will have to work on"

"i noticed very quickly we were under pressure in the middle of the park so i changed the formation accordingly to relieve that pressure"

"if we are to advance we need to play alot better as we did not deserve to win tonight"

A couple of things struck me after hearing this. Craig brown is quite harsh in regards to his team's performance but most of his criticism is constructive. Yogi has never discussed a player's performance critically other than "thought he stuck in well" or words to that effect.

Brown very quickly noticed his team were being done in midfield so he changed, quickly. Furthermore he brought on a young lad in midfield who is a centre half because he has "good legs" and is "athletic". He needed a specific player to play a specific role in the last 10 minutes and asked him to do a job-he did that job with aplomb!!!!

We get "i felt we played some good stuff", "players are going to have to become coaches" and the best " i am screaming at ma strikers to drop deep and the wingers to duck in?". Players shouldn't be coaches. He has to coach them with the correct tactics. Why weren't the players schooled before the game re: strikers dropping deep, wingers tucking in? This drivel is followed by the interview equivalent of 'running away'-"we're building a great stand/stadium and ma heart skipped a beat when a drove up here tonight!!!!". ENOUGH!!!

Thought exactly the same thing :agree: he wants his players to improve, Yogi is happy getting beat

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
It's a bit of rant but when you watch both interviews on SS news the comparisons are clear.
It's not good:bitchy:

CB_NO3
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I think a man like Craig Brown could work wonders with a squad like ours. He is doing a great job with Motherwell with no cash and all young boys in his team. The guy knows his football and Hibs could do no worse than giving him the job. If Brown aint the man we need someone who can jeer the players and the fans up. Am sick of watching Hibs teams with no bottle. I can accept defeat but not in the manner in the way we loose.

Bad Martini
06-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Pa Broon is doing nae bad at murderwell.

However, I'm no sure we'd be going forward with him, any mair than we will with Yogi.

What we really need(ed) is a proven successful manager...that costs money...and thus we will NEVER get, a proven "successful" manager....shame really, as a little speculation to accumulate would go a long way.

degenerated
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
:hilarious

if craig broon had been appointed our manager you can bet this board would have been full of outraged posters complaining that he wasn't good enough for the job and that he should GTF.

probably much like it is now

judas
06-08-2010, 11:53 AM

However, I'm no sure we'd be going forward with him, any mair than we will with Yogi.

What we really need(ed) is a proven successful manager...that costs money...and thus we will NEVER get, a proven "successful" manager....shame really, as a little speculation to accumulate would go a long way.

Hibs have to live within their means BM.

Surely no one can deny, that as a football club - on the whole - there have been incremental improvements over the years.

Seems to me that Hibs are developing strength. But the weak link is the manager.

Ritchie
06-08-2010, 11:58 AM

we'd be in a better position than we are now IMO!

jacques_b
06-08-2010, 12:09 PM
maybe you should ask the preston fans what they think since he nearly got the relegated...

i agree he's done a good enough job but remember the mid-season slump he had for motherwell last season before turning it around. if that was at hibs he would've been chased out as past it and clueless.

Holmesdale Hibs
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Has Craig Brown not got a connection with Motherwell? Fan or ex-player or something?

It’s a good interview and I agree some of Yogi’s positive comments are wearing a bit thin. However I remember Yogi slating the team after the Ross County game and that didn’t do much good. Craig Brown interviews very well but he’s had a lot more experience dealing with the media so you would expect that. I don’t us know much about Maribor or the team Motherwell played so its difficult to compare the results. We finished above Motherwell in the SPL last year so Yogi must be doing something right.

Keith_M
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
maybe you should ask the preston fans what they think since he nearly got the relegated...

i agree he's done a good enough job but remember the mid-season slump he had for motherwell last season before turning it around. if that was at hibs he would've been chased out as past it and clueless.

????????????????????

"On 28 December 2009 it was announced that Brown would be taking temporary charge of Motherwell..."
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Brown_%28footballer%29#Managerial_career)

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Not so much the eloquence of his delivery but his interview reflects 'actual' events, tactical changes and player performances during the game.

Yogi on the other hand is like verbal ping pong. "Heart, Stadium, this club, on ma sleeve, big stokesy, dun what ave asked o them, goals in oor side, proud o the boys"

He never mentioned any specifics regarding what transpired throughout the game?? it's scary that he is in charge of a group of people.

down the slope
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Can you imagine what Archie Knox would think of some of our players ?, walking about and blawing oot yer erse would be a thing of the past i reckon, it's a sad day when we are thinking that Brown and Knox are far superior to what we have at ER.

(((Fergus)))
06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Brown in his commentaries and interviews has always come across as meticulous and observant with an eye/memory for detail.

Yogi on the other hand is very vague, albeit very positive/enthusiastic.

You can't call Brown overexuberant, but maybe a dose of realism - and specific instructions - would help our players find their way.

delbert
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
In that case then , August 6th 2010, the 135th birthday of Hibernian F.C. is now officially a sad day, because if you cannot see that Craig Brown and Archie Knox are streets ahead tactically of the guisers we employ as our management team, then frankly you are on another planet. It's only about 12 weeks since we were 4 goals up against that same team, and the 'manager' we have could not set up his team to defend that 4 goal goal lead for the last 25 minutes. If it had been the other way around, do you think Craig Brown could'nt have altered his set up to take the points?, have a word mate.

sam armstrong
06-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Can you imagine what Archie Knox would think of some of our players ?, walking about and blawing oot yer erse would be a thing of the past i reckon, it's a sad day when we are thinking that Brown and Knox are far superior to what we have at ER.

Why do you say that. They are miles above our management team in every way.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Brown in his commentaries and interviews has always come across as meticulous and observant with an eye/memory for detail.

Yogi on the other hand is very vague, albeit very positive/enthusiastic.

You can't call Brown overexuberant, but maybe a dose of realism - and specific instructions - would help our players find their way.

I keep saying this, but if Yogi is as inarticulate with his coaching and briefing of the players as he is in the media, it's no surprise the team doesn't seem to have a clue what they are meant to be doing.

You can only listen to "right lads, go owt and give it all yir heart and passion fir this club or I'll kick yer c*nts in" so many times before you just want to be anywhere but playing for the eejit that said it.

Vini1875
06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I keep saying this, but if Yogi is as inarticulate with his coaching and briefing of the players as he is in the media, it's no surprise the team doesn't seem to have a clue what they are meant to be doing.

You can only listen to "right lads, go owt and give it all yir heart and passion fir this club or I'll kick yer c*nts in" so many times before you just want to be anywhere but playing for the eejit that said it.

Doubt that is what he says.

However I think Yogi hasn't figured out how to get the best out of this bunch of players. To me they don't look fit and they are not sharp either physically or mentally. Maybe they could out run me but a lot of teams seem to be fitter than us and I know from playing football that when I am breathing out my arse it is much harder to do anything constructive with the ball. That situation is down to Yogi.

Tactically he seems to set up the team up and simply does not improvise, clearly he believes in what he is doing before a ball is kicked, but as has been said with CB football is fluid game that can be changed dramatically by spotting something during the game and altering in. I doubt players are able to see it so easily as the game rages on around them.
Yogi is certainly weak in this.

But I don't think he is a daftie, he just has a lot to learn.

Gerard
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Craig Brown or Pa Brown as we call him with affection:wink: has the good fortune of being a teacher after his footbal career was over. He has vast management experience in football and would help develop the players that we have at the club. John Hughes is a Hibs player and fan and he is going through a tough period at the moment. He needs help to get himself through this tough time. John Hughes needs another year to be given a chance to make Hibs a better team and if Hibs need to get him help then so be it. Hibs can not just continue to sack mananger after manage after manager......... like the Hearts:wink:

erin go bragh
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
In that case then , August 6th 2010, the 135th birthday of Hibernian F.C. is now officially a sad day, because if you cannot see that Craig Brown and Archie Knox are streets ahead tactically of the guisers we employ as our management team, then frankly you are on another planet. It's only about 12 weeks since we were 4 goals up against that same team, and the 'manager' we have could not set up his team to defend that 4 goal goal lead for the last 25 minutes. If it had been the other way around, do you think Craig Brown could'nt have altered his set up to take the points?, have a word mate.
the same craig brown did not change his team to stop them losing 6 goals no.
the point we got ended up being enough to make it into europe

500miles
06-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Jesus H Tapdancin' Christ, all yogi is saying is that players need to be tactically aware. I think it's a fair comment. When Riordan used a bit of tactical awareness and hugged the line, he produced some of his best play last night - despite his instinct probably being to cut inside and make his own chances. Good on Riordan for performing as such, and it'll make him a more complete player.

ekhibee
06-08-2010, 09:28 PM
This is in some ways quite difficult to comment on when comparing the 2 managers. I remember hating Brown with a passion when he was Scotland manager for continuously ignoring talented players from outside the Old Firm, but to be fair, last season, he's really proved his worth in admittedly a piss poor league. And he seems to have focussed on, and addressed the weak areas of the Motherwell team, making them into,for the most part, a hard team to beat. Particularly noticeable was his effect on making them a better defensive unit than they were under Gannon. IMO Hughes hasn't done any of this, the same areas of the team that were weak for most of last season are still there. We don't seem to play as a unit, and there seems to be very little team spirit. I seem to remember watching Steven Craigan at the start of last season and thinking he's past it, it'll not be long before he spends even more time as a football analyst on BBC, but under Brown he seems to have enjoyed a ressurgence. It would be great if the same could be applied to a player like Ian Murray who's been a generally good performer for our club, but right now looks very slow and not half the player we re-signed. I do like John Hughes as a person, he's someone I could quite happily sit down and have a blether with, or a pint or 2, but he doesn't seem to be changing anything in the team, and certainly changes are needed. Quite why he brought Mark Brown and never uses him remains a mystery to me, as does why he rarely seems to use either Galbraith or Thicot. Hibs have greater resources at their disposal than Motherwell, so if you give credit to Brown and Knox, you have to be critical, to a certain extent, of Hughes and Rice. But after all that, regardless of whether we were quite fortunate in the early part of last season, we still finished in 4th, ahead of Motherwell. Although there are a number of questions regarding Hughes being capable of taking Hibs to the next stage as he seems to be suggesting, and it doesn't look too promising so far, I would probably tend to hold fire on whether he should be sacked, at least until the new signings have had a chance to bed in and make a significant difference to the team.

heretoday
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Craigan is good. That's the sort of type we need at ER. Perhaps Sutton as well.