PDA

View Full Version : What players do we need rid of or What positions need stregthening?

HFC 0-7
06-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Last night for me clearly showed some players up and that we have weak areas in our squad.

For me Nish is not good enough, he tried hard last night but just doesnt have it, a couple of times he rose well above the defender only for the ball to hit him square in the face when trying to header it. The main failing for me with Nish is that he is far to weak for a big buy.

Hogg. Captain? JOKE! He is the most un orgainsed player at easter road, he starts to panic after about 5 minutes and is definately not comfortable on the ball, organise a defence I dont think so.

Rankin. From past performances rankin looks out his depth headless chicken, not much ability.

Smith. Dear dear, he just is not commanding enough for a goal keeper! He was very dodgy last night and this will not fill the defence with confidence. What is it with Hibs and goalkeepers? Why cant we get a decent one? Look at Motherwell, they look to have got another good goalkeeper!

Murray. I think his time is over inm afraid, his pace is truly gone. People talk about moving him into midfield because of his lack of pace but I dont think I would want such a slow player in midfield anyway, certainly not on the left of midfield.

Overall I think the midfield is very decent expecially with what looks a very good player in de graff and zemmama when he is fit. Up front I would get rid of Nish and get a better, stronger player.

Now the defence. Murray os far to slow and Hogg is a bombscare add to that the goalkeeper and its a recipe for leaking goals. If Bamba goes we will end up with a slow left back, a bombscare of a CB, a young inexperienced CB in Hanlon or Stephens and a right back that is OK but I am sure will get better.

If the manager gets the shape and tactics right I think we will score plenty goals, especially when zemmama is back but unfortunately I think we will have possibly the worst defence in the league and we will leak goals. Unfortunately I dont think there is enough time left in the transfer window to get a new left back, sell bamba and replace him and get another defender or attacker.

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2010, 08:26 AM
We need to ship the manager first

Greenheart
06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Do not be surprised if there are no more signings. Speaking to a Hibs insider (Don't ask who) reckoned there would be no more signings.:grr:

Expecting Rain
06-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Defensively we`ve been poor for over a season and unfortunately this problem doesn`t look like it is going to be remedied anytime soon, so much to do, so little time. The situation hasn`t been helped by the Bamba carry on or the rotation of goalies, thankfully we have guys that can score goals at the other end i Riordan and Stokes and this should paper over the cracks for a while yet.
We could improve the team by benching Rankin,Nish and Hogg and then eventually moving them on to the Scottish first division and i say this in all sincerity.

Steve20
06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
We need a centre half, a left back, a centre midfielder and another striker.

I predict we will get none.

BSEJVT
06-08-2010, 09:05 AM
To be honest, thats as dispirited as I have been by a Hibs peformance for a long long time.

That has nothing to do with the fact that Maribor were streets ahead of us in every department.

I could not believe how one paced, sluggish and completely disorganised we were.

Given a free hand I would probably only keep 4 maybe 5 of tonights starters

Riordan
De Graff
Bamba
Stokes
Miller

The latter 3 not on tonights performance either.

Hart, worse than wotherspoon, has nothing to offer

Murray its a shame but he is finished, as slow as a week in jail.

Hogg, wouldnt get a game at 5 asides with my 50 year old mates

McBride, all we feared when we signed him is now coming true

Nish, honest trier but nowhere near good enough

Smith, quite probably the worst in a long line of bombscare goalkeepers.

Tactics

Were there any?

Wide players receiving balls with no-one within 40 yards to give them to.

Defence - there in none

Midfield - How can players who have done far better before do so badly

Attack, totally disjointed

Manager

Tactically inept

Signs players without any comprehension of how to play them?

The absence of pace in any area of that team is astonishing

Its like Mixu revisited, but 10 times worse

Very very depressed, even the new stand has lost its lustre

Steve20
06-08-2010, 09:12 AM
To be honest, thats as dispirited as I have been by a Hibs peformance for a long long time.

That has nothing to do with the fact that Maribor were streets ahead of us in every department.

I could not believe how one paced, sluggish and completely disorganised we were.

Riordan
De Graff
Bamba
Stokes
Miller

Tactics

Were there any?

Defence - there in none

Manager

Tactically inept

I agree with almost everything here, except I thought Hart looked ok. One of the very few that did.

GlesgaeHibby
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Out
Colin Nish
John Rankin
Chris Hogg
Graeme Smith
Lewis Stevenson

In
New LB
New CH
Winger
Striker

(Murphy, Jones, Sproule and O'Connor please :wink:)

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
We need a centre half, a left back, a centre midfielder and another striker.

I'd agree with that - a couple of them with pace would be nice as well. The team are far too slow.

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Hart? - what about when their no.8 ripped him a second one 1v1 from a standing start at the penalty?

Hamish
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Riordan
De Graff
Bamba
Stokes
Miller

Tactics

Were there any?

Defence - there in none

Manager

Tactically inept

Now I have never seen your mates play, but I would hazard a guess that the statement is arrant nonsense:bitchy:

frazeHFC
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
If we want to match or beat last years position then we need to sign exactly what everyone is saying, LB, CB, CM and CF and actually give Mark Brown a game.

I think Stephens and Hanlon could be a great CB pairing in a few years if they progress but doubt they will play well enough for a full season now.

I would be quite optimistic with this starting line up:

Stokes
Riordan DeGraaf Zemmama
McBride Miller
NewLB NewCB Bamba Wotherspon/Hart
Brown

The thing is:

Stokes - His positioning is poor, he is just a prolific goalscorer which is good, but needs good support and delivery.

Riordan - Probably won't even be played this attacking, will likely be in a 4 man midfield most of the time.

Zemmama - Injured and frequently is.

McBride and Miller - Never know with these 2, could play well one week and poor the next.

LB and CB - Probably won't be signing anyone else.

Bamba - Rumours he is off soon.

Brown - Will he ever get his chance?

Spike Mandela
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Do not be surprised if there are no more signings. Speaking to a Hibs insider (Don't ask who) reckoned there would be no more signings.:grr:

The price of a shiny new stand. Enjoy looking at it half empty for next couple of seasons methinks.

NGP
06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Hart? - what about when their no.8 ripped him a second one 1v1 from a standing start at the penalty?

That was McBride.

Andy74
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
If we want to progress then from the squad the following need replaced with better, when we can:

Smith
Hogg
Murray
Stevenson
Thicot
Rankin
Nish

Brads Laing
06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
We cannot ship him out after our best finish in years. Sure we got well beaten last week and last night, but we gave mixu a year and a half and if that was a fair chance, then yogi deserves another year at least.

Brads Laing
06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
If we want to progress then from the squad the following need replaced with better, when we can:

Smith
Hogg
Murray
Stevenson
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Are you having a laugh with murray, if you think that you must be watching a different player.

portyfelly
06-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Riordan
De Graff
Bamba
Stokes
Miller

Tactics

Were there any?

Defence - there in none

Manager

Tactically inept

Its Same old Same old....some waffle then punt the ball up to the tall guy

The Big No.9
06-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes some players need shipped out.

But does nobody else think that the formation we play at the momment is shocking.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3 call it what you want just doesnt work for us.

Look at Dundee UTD, 4-4-2, a really well orginised defence, 2 wingers, centre midfielders that when one goes the other sits and vice versa, big strong centre forward and small tricky one. But the underlying thing is that they all know what they are doing.

If you look at us most of the players do not have a clue, we were saying last night that we could go 3-5-2 and play murray as sweeper, Hart and spoony as attacking wingbacks, one holding midfielder, one attacking midfielder, one normal midfielder? and the two forwards.

Or

Just go for an organised 4-4-2 were everyone knows there jobs, jesus its not rocket salad

BSEJVT
06-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Now I have never seen your mates play, but I would hazard a guess that the statement is arrant nonsense:bitchy:

Now I dont know you

So I dont have any basis on which to compare your statement

So it would be arrant (good word btw) to describe your opinion as nonsense or insignificant or adding nothing to the debate.

So for that reason I wont comment upon your response.

The truth of the matter is I may have exaggerated slightly with Hogg,

Not by much though.

Anything else you wanted to take issue with?

See the thing is as I dont know you I may be mistaken in taking your lack of comment for tacit approval.

I wouldnt want to assume that as it would make an ass out of you and me.

FFS man

The team are a shambles, Hogg gets worse by the week in most posters opinion and your response to the debate is that I may have exaggerated in my negative opinion of Hogg.

Havent you any more meaningful insight or opinion (using big words) than that that you can bring to the situation?

GreenPJ
06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes some players need shipped out.

But does nobody else think that the formation we play at the momment is shocking.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3 call it what you want just doesnt work for us.

Look at Dundee UTD, 4-4-2, a really well orginised defence, 2 wingers, centre midfielders that when one goes the other sits and vice versa, big strong centre forward and small tricky one. But the underlying thing is that they all know what they are doing.

If you look at us most of the players do not have a clue, we were saying last night that we could go 3-5-2 and play murray as sweeper, Hart and spoony as attacking wingbacks, one holding midfielder, one attacking midfielder, one normal midfielder? and the two forwards.

Or

Just go for an organised 4-4-2 were everyone knows there jobs, jesus its not rocket salad

:agree: We have most of the positions filled for a 4-4-2 and I think we could be successful with it. Brown, Hart, Hanlon, Bamba/Hogg, Stevenson, Witherspoon, De Graff, Miller, Murray, Riordan, Stokes/Nish.

We could do with another striker, and LB/LM could be improved but with Zemmama, Galbriath, Rankin (:wink:), Thicot on the bench then I think we would have shape and some strength as well as players who could come on and hopefully change things if needed.

How many times in the first half Hart was looking for someone to move down the right channel but De Graff was too busy trying to cover for the non-tackling McBride to be there was crazy.

Dr Jimmy
06-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes we need new players, but first and foremost we need a new manager!
The problem we have is if anyone runs at us with pace, especially on the break, we cannot cope.
This happened time and time again last season and nothing was done, after watching last nights game every time they ran at us we were all over the place. Therefore our tactical genius and self proclaimed man motivator, Yogi, has not fixed this problem. My solution would be to get rid of the manager and get someone who knows the game (not the talk) and we will see this problem addressed.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Are you having a laugh with murray, if you think that you must be watching a different player.

Murrays finished unless you like your full backs to be slower than a snail, and cant pass, cant cross a ball, get caught in posession, and love the look of the player he's marking's erse.:confused:

Sumner
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM

indeed :agree:

franck sauzee
06-08-2010, 03:57 PM
If we want to match or beat last years position then we need to sign exactly what everyone is saying, LB, CB, CM and CF and actually give Mark Brown a game.

I think Stephens and Hanlon could be a great CB pairing in a few years if they progress but doubt they will play well enough for a full season now.

I would be quite optimistic with this starting line up:

Stokes
Riordan DeGraaf Zemmama
McBride Miller
NewLB NewCB Bamba Wotherspon/Hart
Brown

The thing is:

Stokes - His positioning is poor, he is just a prolific goalscorer which is good, but needs good support and delivery.

Riordan - Probably won't even be played this attacking, will likely be in a 4 man midfield most of the time.

Zemmama - Injured and frequently is.

McBride and Miller - Never know with these 2, could play well one week and poor the next.

LB and CB - Probably won't be signing anyone else.

Bamba - Rumours he is off soon.

Brown - Will he ever get his chance?

when i read this all i can think about is skittles...

Hamish
06-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Now I dont know you

So I dont have any basis on which to compare your statement

So it would be arrant (good word btw) to describe your opinion as nonsense or insignificant or adding nothing to the debate.

So for that reason I wont comment upon your response.

The truth of the matter is I may have exaggerated slightly with Hogg,

Not by much though.

Anything else you wanted to take issue with?

See the thing is as I dont know you I may be mistaken in taking your lack of comment for tacit approval.

I wouldnt want to assume that as it would make an ass out of you and me.

FFS man

The team are a shambles, Hogg gets worse by the week in most posters opinion and your response to the debate is that I may have exaggerated in my negative opinion of Hogg.

Havent you any more meaningful insight or opinion (using big words) than that that you can bring to the situation?

No need for the FFS

It just seemed a pointless exaggeration, in an otherwise good posting.

(I am 50 this year and Hoggy would get in my fives team:greengrin)

PISTOL1875
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Have you watched Ian Murray at LB at all this season ?? He's about as quick as a week in the jail....

BSEJVT
06-08-2010, 05:21 PM
No need for the FFS

It just seemed a pointless exaggeration, in an otherwise good posting.

(I am 50 this year and Hoggy would get in my fives team:greengrin)

Fair comment

I am really concerned by this Hibs team and it just annoyed me that that was the part you picked out the post.

Happy to debate comments all day long, and this is a generalisation not specifically aimed at you, it just annoys me that there are so many pedants on the board who would rather criticise peripheral points, such as spelling and grammer etc, than engage in the real debate.

Hamish
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I think we are all concerned. Messrs Lindsay and Petrie included

eyemouthhibs
06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Have you watched Ian Murray at LB at all this season ?? He's about as quick as a week in the jail....
Bring Back Callum Booth he will get up and down the park without any problems.also i would like to see hogg rankin mcbride thicot nish plus a keeper binned but its not as easy as that with them being under contract and there is no way anyone would pay transfer fees for them.you couldn't give them away.

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Out
Colin Nish
John Rankin
Chris Hogg
Graeme Smith
Lewis Stevenson

In
New LB
New CH
Winger
Striker

(Murphy, Jones, Sproule and O'Connor please :wink:)

Agree entirely about what we need to get rid off, and the type of players we need. (I'd also add an imposing midfielder with an engine. Don't think we should be turning the clock back and bringing back former players though.

Eganov
06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Brown/Stack
Hart Murray Bamba (new possibly)
Wotherspoon/Galbraith De Graff Miller Riordan
Stokes (new)/youngster

Out: HOGG, NISH, RANKIN, McBride, Smith

lyonhibs
06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
2 positions that need sorted pronto, left back and manager. After that, we cud do with a centre forward and bruiser of a CB if Bamba is to leave.
We'll start the season with the team and manager we hav right now. Maybe 1 new player max.

IWasThere2016
06-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Smith
Hogg
Murray
Stevenson
Thicot
Rankin
Nish

The two highlighted are flexible and I'd keep them tbh - the rest are limited and should be moved on.

Hiber-nation
06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Ian Murray's fitness problems are well documented - I am sure he'll be fine once he gets a few more games under his belt.

Amazing to think how Murray has gone from player of the season to "slow as a week in jail" in 2 competitive games....

PISTOL1875
06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Ian Murray's fitness problems are well documented - I am sure he'll be fine once he gets a few more games under his belt.

Amazing to think how Murray has gone from player of the season to "slow as a week in jail" in 2 competitive games....

He was slow as a week in the jail against Dunfermline mate.. If you were at the game , then you would've seen that..

BSEJVT
06-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Sorry but he hasnt.

Some of us have been highlighting our concerns over IM since not long after Christmas.

So IMO the playing more Games bit to get up to speed, isnt a given.

I think you need to take on board that he is getting zero abuse as there is an understanding of his commitment / problems, as it should be.

Others playing poorly arent getting that latitude

HibbyKeith
06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Not many with pass marks last night but lets not forget maribor are far from a poor side. our current side is more than capable of doing well in the spl, that being said...

dont want to be too critical of individuals but...Hogg & Nish both triers, but never good enough,

need a new CM, Winger and CB, as other posters say i too expect callum booth to play a big part in the near future at LB so we can have hanlon and murray cover there for now.

Desperate for a new centre half though.

A nippy left winger that wants to take players on hit the byline and fire in crosses would be perfect on that new pitch of ours ( very impressed with the playing surface last night, if we cant play football on that we are royally f****d btw)

the sooner yogi stops digging his heals in and player Riordan as a CF the better, the guy is not a midfielder, 16goals from there was a fantastic return last year but how many will he score playing as a CF. not rocket science, yogi wants to play passing football, so no need for a "target man" up front.

PISTOL1875
06-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Not many with pass marks last night but lets not forget maribor are far from a poor side. our current side is more than capable of doing well in the spl, that being said...

dont want to be too critical of individuals but...Hogg & Nish both triers, but never good enough,

need a new CM, Winger and CB, as other posters say i too expect callum booth to play a big part in the near future at LB so we can have hanlon and murray cover there for now.

Desperate for a new centre half though.

A nippy left winger that wants to take players on hit the byline and fire in crosses would be perfect on that new pitch of ours ( very impressed with the playing surface last night, if we cant play football on that we are royally f****d btw)

the sooner yogi stops digging his heals in and player Riordan as a CF the better, the guy is not a midfielder, 16goals from there was a fantastic return last year but how many will he score playing as a CF. not rocket science, yogi wants to play passing football, so no need for a "target man" up front.

Don't we already have one in Galbraith but for some reason won't get a chance ???

BSEJVT
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Don't we already have one in Galbraith but for some reason won't get a chance ???

Got it in 1

For me we should play Stokes & Riordan upfront and Galbraith wide left Wotherspoon wide right.

We so desperately need a bit pace in that side.

Not once did Stokes or Riordan get on a Nish lay down, if he's not there for that, what is he there for?