PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

HIBEES 4 LIFE
06-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Can't run anymore, can't really pass anymore. Must be a dream to play against.

All his fitness issues have caught up with him.

I love Ian Murray as much as the next Hibby cause he's one of us, but the love affair is over. Time for a change!

NoTottiNoParty
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM

I love Ian Murray as much as the next Hibby cause he's one of us, but the love affair is over. Time for a change!

I agree.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Imho he's finished, people go on about Hogg, rankin, Nish but here we have a player who cant pass, cant run and takes an age to get the ball down and move it on, by the time he does he's shut down.

I used to think he was an awful left back before he left us, but apart from a few decent games last season, he's imho the worst left back i can remember playing for us in a very long time. We seem to have solved the right side with Hart looking decent, but dear god get Murray away from the left back berth. :boo hoo:

RoYO!
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
But In saying all that still is good enough IMO for the spl. As I've said before though I think we're poss 5 players short of having a v good squad.

Keith_M
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure about finished but he certainly wasn't very impressive last night, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Do we have anyone else at the club that can play at left back? :dunno:

One other position that seriously needs looked at is right side of midfield. There were so many times when the ball was in the right back area and there just wasn't an outlet up the right hand side. It may be that the players had stopped following instructions or the instructions were wrong but nobody seemed to be putting themselves in position on that side for an attacking option.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure about finished but he certainly wasn't very impressive last night, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Do we have anyone else at the club that can play at left back? :dunno:

One other position that seriously needs looked at is right side of midfield. There were so many times when the ball was in the right back area and there just wasn't an outlet up the right hand side. It may be that the players had stopped following instructions or the instructions were wrong but nobody seemed to be putting themselves in position on that side for an attacking option.

We need to play either Hanlon or god forbid Stevenson there, or even change to a 3-5-2 as Murray is just shocking, i personally have thought this for months.

Yes the right hand side was empty apart from Stokes dropping in there at times. The lack of pace all over is a worry, Bamba apart, we just dont have any. I understand the tactics last night, we actually got some success with the ball up to Nish, and i wish we had scored the 1st goal just to see how they would have reacted? Maribor were a better side, there was no way we could have out passed them.:boo hoo:

bigstu
06-08-2010, 08:32 AM
i can't actually believe i'm reading this, everyone was raving about ian murray last season & he put in some great displays. is no player beyond critisism now? there must be something wrong with the management if mcbride, murray, miller, nish have all become crap players at hibs!

marinello59
06-08-2010, 08:36 AM
i can't actually believe i'm reading this, everyone was raving about ian murray last season & he put in some great displays. is no player beyond critisism now? there must be something wrong with the management if mcbride, murray, miller, nish have all become crap players at hibs!

Must be his turn. Seemingly they are all cr@p. And so are the fans. And Yogi. And the pies. We're doomed, doomed, doomed.:agree:

RIP
06-08-2010, 08:41 AM
i can't actually believe i'm reading this, everyone was raving about ian murray last season & he put in some great displays.

You have to believe it though. From about Christmas the old Ian Murray disappeared and we got this andriod instead

From the get go that side was targeted, repeating the pattern from January onwards in the SPL. Bama was centre-half AND left back. At Carlisle you would not have known he was playing the hole was that big.

Since the start of 2010, left back has been sussed by opposition managers as our weakest link. Either playing him in midfield Yogi or give the guy a rest. A long rest.

Ian always said he was no left back - maybe it's time Yogi believed him?

Sorry Ian man - breaks my hearts to say all this :boo hoo:

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Murray's being criticised because his performances are poor. Sadly, I think his legs have gone. It happens to every pro at some time, and I noticed it happening to him last season. I get quiet, hoping that coming back of the pre-season and the rest/training would freshen him up.

Not attacking him, i'm a bit Murray fan, but his best days are now clearly behind him and we should be looking for a left-back now to avoid being embarrassed further. He might get away with it for a bit in the SPL, but I doubt it.

I'd keep Bamba for a year unless a decent offer comes in for him, and have Stephens and Hanlon alternately playing alongside him, then make that the centre-back pairing when Sol goes. I'd also play Calum Booth in alternate games with Murray, phasing on out and the other in.

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2010, 09:00 AM
First noticed it at the Hearts game last year when Jeffries put on Suso on the right against Murray. The truth hurts. But he is by no means the only slow one.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
First noticed it at the Hearts game last year when Jeffries put on Suso on the right against Murray. The truth hurts. But he is by no means the only slow one.

:agree: The lack of any pace throughout the team is a worry.:boo hoo:

GlesgaeHibby
06-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Nish was always crap.

The game against Hearts where Templeton tore Murray apart confirmed it for me. LB has got to be a priority for us in the transfer market. Maybe he'd be able to perform better in a holding role, but at LB he is just not good enough anymore. Pains me to say it too as he has gave some immense performances since being re signed by Mixu.

whiskyhibby
06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
We need to play either Hanlon or god forbid Stevenson there, or even change to a 3-5-2 as Murray is just shocking, i personally have thought this for months.

Yes the right hand side was empty apart from Stokes dropping in there at times. The lack of pace all over is a worry, Bamba apart, we just dont have any. I understand the tactics last night, we actually got some success with the ball up to Nish, and i wish we had scored the 1st goal just to see how they would have reacted? Maribor were a better side, there was no way we could have out passed them.:boo hoo:

I have to agree Murray looked a bit lacking in pace and this probably contributed to nothing happening on the left flank in the Maribor half until Hughes swapped out both full backs, but to be fair still think he can do a job for us as a sweeper or midfield

Kev
06-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Definitely lost a lot of pace but his commitment is never lacking. Would be good to see Hughes give one of the young lads a chance but if Riordan is going to be played on the left again this season could leave whoever comes in a bit exposed! At least Murray has the experience to deal with it....

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Must be his turn. Seemingly they are all cr@p. And so are the fans. And Yogi. And the pies. We're doomed, doomed, doomed.:agree:

People seem to forget that IM does has arthritis in his knees.... Needs to be given backing for still playing under trying circumstances for himself

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 09:38 AM
People seem to forget that IM does has arthritis in his knees.... Needs to be given backing for still playing under trying circumstances for himself

Needs to be dropped, although it cant be easy having Riordan playing in front of him his legs have gone, imho he's finished. :boo hoo:

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Needs to be dropped, although it cant be easy having Riordan playing in front of him his legs have gone, imho he's finished. :boo hoo:

He does look physically jaded after pre season.... Sure he is suspended for first 3 SPL games so that might give him needed rest

PaulSmith
06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I recall only a matter of months ago this Board going ape at the thought of Murray not getting another deal.

pentlando
06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

What a ridiculous post! I had a very nice pie last night actually :greengrin

Speedway
06-08-2010, 10:54 AM

What love affair?

We derided him on here when McLeish used to play him on the right, we derided him for not being big enough to be a CH under MOwbray, we derided him for leaving for Rangers and now we're having a go again.

I'm not saying it's not merited, I'm saying that I can't remember the love affair.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
What love affair?

We derided him on here when McLeish used to play him on the right, we derided him for not being big enough to be a CH under MOwbray, we derided him for leaving for Rangers and now we're having a go again.

I'm not saying it's not merited, I'm saying that I can't remember the love affair.

You are trying to tell me that this board does not have a love affair with Ian Murray. I am not say all but as a previous poster mentioned. There was outrage when he wasnt going to be offered a new deal. He could have walked on water 6 months ago.

I for one said nothing as i've had the opinion that he is past it for a long time. Its not a dig at Murray as he cant help his injuries and age but it all has to stop. Players at Easter Road are loved or hated for things other than what they do on the pitch.

Hibs Class
06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
He does look physically jaded after pre season.... Sure he is suspended for first 3 SPL games so that might give him needed rest

He's suspended for the first two matches

bighairyfaeleith
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
You are trying to tell me that this board does not have a love affair with Ian Murray. I am not say all but as a previous poster mentioned. There was outrage when he wasnt going to be offered a new deal. He could have walked on water 6 months ago.

I for one said nothing as i've had the opinion that he is past it for a long time. Its not a dig at Murray as he cant help his injuries and age but it all has to stop. Players at Easter Road are loved or hated for things other than what they do on the pitch.

I know but I just love bambas new hairstyle:blushie:

woodythehibee
06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
slightly harsh on Murray I think.

However, i would prefer to see him at CH with Bamba and sign a new left back.

Brads Laing
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Maybe murray isn't the best football player in the world, but i can't remember the last bad game he had for us. He's solid, his legs haven't gone just yet (if your complaining about him not getting up the pitch thats probably because he's not got a hope in hell of riordan covering for him) and there is no-one better at the club to replace him in that position.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
He's suspended for the first two matches

FFS i got my hopes up thinking it was 3. :grr:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Maybe murray isn't the best football player in the world, but i can't remember the last bad game he had for us. He's solid, his legs haven't gone just yet (if your complaining about him not getting up the pitch thats probably because he's not got a hope in hell of riordan covering for him) and there is no-one better at the club to replace him in that position.

You cant watch Hibs????:confused:

HIBEES 4 LIFE
06-08-2010, 11:41 AM

You are exactly the problem. Murray was awful last night. But cause he's a "hibby" he gets away with it.
I dont want him forward too much, i want him to be able to defend without the need for a last ditch tackle . The number of times Bamba had to cover for him was horrible to watch.
He's not solid...He tries hard
His legs HAVE gone, he's honestly horribly slow.

I'm not sure why i'm telling you this cause you are clearly blinkered.

Take Rankin for example, he's poor, not enough ability......but he tries just as hard as Murray and is a model professional. Why does he not get loved??? EXACTLY CAUSE HE'S NOT A HIBBY

stevensons-fan
06-08-2010, 11:49 AM
slightly harsh on Murray I think.

However, i would prefer to see him at CH with Bamba and sign a new left back.

Agree with this, he is much more suited to playing at CH.

LEaston87
06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I've been saying this since the tail-end of last season he looks weak and slow of the mark (Templeton roasting him at every opportunity being a shining example) and it pains me to say it but he hasn't improved since.

Hanlon and Stevenson aren't the solution either (Hanlon has potential at center back but not left back) so I feel we should play a 3-5-2 with wing backs and believe Rankin could have a lot of potential as a left wing back, he has the energy for the role and has a cracking left peg.

I would like to give this a crack...

------------------------BROWN

------------ THICOT STEPHENS BAMBA

HART/SPOONY----------------------------RANKIN

---------------MCBRIDE MILLER

--------------DE GRAAF or ZEMMAMA

---------------STOKES RIORDAN

RIP
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
We have Scotland's best young left back on loan

If theyr're good enough they're old enough

3pm
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I am not sure that I would write Ian Murray off just yet. Like many of his colleagues, there are very few who are playing with any direction and purpose. Coincidence? Nah...

I am sure John Hughes is on borrowed time, I'll reserve judgement until a new manager is appointed.