PDA

View Full Version : Family Home?

Pages : [1] 2

machibby
05-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Took my 7 year old to his first game tonight, but left at half time because of another fan screaming abuse during the first half. Myself and another parent asked the guy if he could tone the language down for the kids and we were met by more abuse and aggression. Then went and told one of the security folk and they just shrugged their shoulders and ignored the complaint. Just wondered what folk feel about this sort of thing; is it unreasonable to ask supporters to cut out the swearing and abuse with the younger supporters in mind or is it, as the guy tried to defend his actions, his right at a match. As for the security staff, what the hell are they there for?
Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting not to hear a bit of colourful language, but guys screaming you f*****g c**** every couple of minutes, no thanks.
Don't think I'll be taking my son back after tonights experience and given the lack of support given by other fans around us and the ground staff.

Dunbar Hibee
05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Took my 7 year old to his first game tonight, but left at half time because of another fan screaming abuse during the first half. Myself and another parent asked the guy if he could tone the language down for the kids and we were met by more abuse and aggression. Then went and told one of the security folk and they just shrugged their shoulders and ignored the complaint. Just wondered what folk feel about this sort of thing; is it unreasonable to ask supporters to cut out the swearing and abuse with the younger supporters in mind or is it, as the guy tried to defend his actions, his right at a match. As for the security staff, what the hell are they there for?
Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting not to hear a bit of colourful language, but guys screaming you f*****g c**** every couple of minutes, no thanks.
Don't think I'll be taking my son back after tonights experience and given the lack of support given by other fans around us and the ground staff.
Disappointing that this phanny has ruined an experience for your son. Don't let this welt get in the way though!

DaveF
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Agree.

My boy wanted to leave (very) early because of the excessive swearing.

hibee-shtuggie
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM

sorry to hear that you evening was ruined. may i ask what stand you were in?

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 10:59 PM

You were in the West, not a Family stand as you said.....

I was not screaming F*******g c****every few minutes.... The only time I swore was when Hogg looked injured and Hanlon was warming up.... I explained I am passionate about my team, and only swore a couple of times.......

At least paint the right picture if you want to post facts.... .your post is factually incorrect

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Disappointing that this phanny has ruined an experience for your son. Don't let this welt get in the way though!

You are calling me a phanny withoutr knowing the facts.......:grr:

GlesgaeHibby
05-08-2010, 11:01 PM

We can all get a bit excited at the game and in the heat of the moment swear a little and have a few shouty moments, but from what it sounds like, where you were it was completely excessive and over the top.

He may say it is his right at the game, but if he did it on the street he'd be lifted for a breach of the peace.

Shocking that the Stewards took no notice.

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:03 PM
For the record I was trying to get the rest of the fans involved, but many must have thought they were in a library....

The only time I swore was when Hogg looked injured, and to make a complaint over bad language is poor IMO..... It is a football match where passions run high

hibee-shtuggie

I was not screaming F*******g c****every few minutes.... The only time I swore was when Hogg looked injured and Hanlon was warming up.... I explained I am passionate about my team, and only swore a couple of times.......

At least paint the right picture if you want to post facts.... .your post is factually incorrect

i agree with the fact that there is a family stand and if it is there, use it. you can't really expect to regulate what grown men(and women) say at the football. i have been told to tone it down once in the west stand for not a lot. thats what the famioy stand is there for. can't comment on this though as i don't know what was said and theres seems to be two very different sides to this story.

Dunbar Hibee
You are calling me a phanny withoutr knowing the facts.......:grr:

Well from what the OP says, whoever this was was a phanny.

Baldy Foghorn
We can all get a bit excited at the game and in the heat of the moment swear a little and have a few shouty moments, but from what it sounds like, where you were it was completely excessive and over the top.

He may say it is his right at the game, but if he did it on the street he'd be lifted for a breach of the peace.

I was spoken to by the stewards and heeded their advice.... Never knew shouting at game was a misdemeanour

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Well from what the OP says, whoever this was was a phanny.

It was me, and I can assure you the opening poster's facts are quite different to actual events.....

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Sounds like it was over the top from the opening posters portrayal, but I can assure you all it was not as bleak as what is being painted........

Seanair

Write to Rod. This behaviour is not acceptable in the "Hibs family" which the club aspires to. Also the security staff are not doing what they're paid for. Rod won't be happy at this. If you don't get a satisfactory reply, raise it at the AGM (:grr:or get someone to do it for you).

Dunbar Hibee
It was me, and I can assure you the opening poster's facts are quite different to actual events.....

Fair enough, are you sure he's on about you? Don't mean to patronise but how do you know??

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM

Can't comment on who is right or wrong here obviously.

However, how do you feel Delabooze about your actions driving a Hibs fan and his son to leave the game at half time ? (And also feeling compelled to post on here about it).

Pretty poor show IMHO. I also note that you did not apologise in your reply.

I feel pasionately about Hibs and I have sworn at games (so I am not being self righteous). However, I wouldn't swear with kids in close vicinity.

GlesgaeHibby
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I was spoken to by the stewards and heeded their advice.... Never knew shouting at game was a misdemeanour

Never heard your side of the story first. From the OP's post if that was accurate then that level of shouting and excessive foul language is out of order. But from what you have said, having one outburst, is hardly a big deal.

Lots of us get passionate about our team, and in the heat of the moment can go on a rant and insert a few select words.

machibby
05-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Absolute rubbish, you were asked by me and others to give it a rest , but just got aggressive and continued the abuse. at half time you had another go at us saying it was not a family stand. how come the club sell us kids tickets for the west then. the club also states it's against ground rules to cause others discomfort by shouting obscenities. I for one will be taking it further with the club. Your total disregard for the people around you and the young kids there shows you for exactly what you are. As for merely supporting your team, didn't sound much like support to me. No wonder crowds are falling with your type spoiling it for kids.

RickyS
05-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Fair enough, are you sure he's on about you? Don't mean to patronise but how do you know??

was wonderin the same?

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Can't comment on who is right or wrong here obviously.

However, how do you feel Delabooze about your actions driving a Hibs fan and his son to leave the game at half time ? (And also feeling compelled to post on here about it).

Pretty poor show IMHO. I also note that you did not apologise in your reply.

I feel pasionately about Hibs and I have sworn at games (so I am not being self righteous). However, I wouldn't swear with kids in close vicinity.

I was frustrated because of the way game was panning out..... I believe after shelling out a lot of money to attend first leg I am entitled to.... I swore a couple of times, and nowhere near as much as the opening poster suggests..... I have witnesses around who will testify and back my story up....

I am sorry this man felt the need to remove him and his boy at half time, but there was nobody else shouting, the atmosphere was like a morgu, and whilst I swore, I toned it down second half, for another man asked me to tone it down, because his child had autism, and could not stand the noise......

Turnip
05-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Suggest you avoid the 'New East' in future games then gadgie

Aubenas
05-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Obviously don't know the ins and outs of this particular incident but it's ironic that we are being told that either the west is a graveyard or it's peopled by ranting swearers - depends on your perpspective and where you are sat I suppose. There are guys on here who would defend their right to stand up and block the view of everyone behind them.

FWIW, I do get excited and use colourful language myself. (Amazing really as I sit in the West, where noone supports the team!) However, if a parent pointed out their wee kid and asked me to desist, I would feel that was a fair enough request, especially if the kid is fazed by it.

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Absolute rubbish, you were asked by me and others to give it a rest , but just got aggressive and continued the abuse. at half time you had another go at us saying it was not a family stand. how come the club sell us kids tickets for the west then. the club also states it's against ground rules to cause others discomfort by shouting obscenities. I for one will be taking it further with the club. Your total disregard for the people around you and the young kids there shows you for exactly what you are. As for merely supporting your team, didn't sound much like support to me. No wonder crowds are falling with your type spoiling it for kids.

I dont get this......

I was trying to get the other fans going, and the only time I got upset was the moment when Hogg appeared injured and I shouted frustration at the Management.....

I sit there week in week out, and was chastised by you rightly or wrongly, which I took exception to.... If you had not felt the need to leave match, you would have noticed that I toned down entirely in the second half..... Can't believe I am being blamed for falling crowds....... I apologised to the other man at half time, and would have done so to you if you had reappeared.....

machibby
05-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I was frustrated because of the way game was panning out..... I believe after shelling out a lot of money to attend first leg I am entitled to.... I swore a couple of times, and nowhere near as much as the opening poster suggests..... I have witnesses around who will testify and back my story up....

I am sorry this man felt the need to remove him and his boy at half time, but there was nobody else shouting, the atmosphere was like a morgu, and whilst I swore, I toned it down second half, for another man asked me to tone it down, because his child had autism, and could not stand the noise......

Yeh the boy you shouted something at when his father had to take him out the stand to calm down. You're full of excuses, it's just because the game was crap, the atmosphere was poor, I went to the away game etc etc. We both now what went on here, I'm not gonna come on and post this for the sake of it. As for your nonsense that the west is not for families and we should be else where... enough said.

PaulSmith
05-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Nae idea if this is the same incident but there was a bit of agro between two guys towards the back of the west lower..which was then interupted by another fan who gave the two fans pelters for having a go at each other.

Quite funny to watch actually but the bairns got a bit scared at 'the bad men fighting'

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeh the boy you shouted something at when his father had to take him out the stand to calm down. You're full of excuses, it's just because the game was crap, the atmosphere was poor, I went to the away game etc etc. We both now what went on here, I'm not gonna come on and post this for the sake of it. As for your nonsense that the west is not for families and we should be else where... enough said.

Wooo easy tiger, in no way did I shout at the boy going down the stairs.....

I suggest you get your story straight.....

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Nae idea if this is the same incident but there was a bit of agro between two guys towards the back of the west lower..which was then interupted by another fan who gave the two fans pelters for having a go at each other.

Quite funny to watch actually but the bairns got a bit scared at 'the bad men fighting'

This must have been another situation/ set to

RickyS
05-08-2010, 11:22 PM

I would agree with that, I don't take my boys to the bigger games as emotions run even higher than normal. its impossible to speak to/argue with everyone who swears. I don't know what happened in your disagreement though so I'm not gettin involved/taking sides

Twiglet
05-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Some people really do think they're in a library. I shout (quite a bit at times), but don't swear and there's 2 women in front of me who turn around and glare at me whenever i open my mouth. i've got a wee boy sitting behind me (he was there last season too), I apologised to the people he was with some times because of the noise I was making and they were ok.
I was getting dirty looks tonight when I was shouting the team on and once when I shouted over to Yogi to get Wotherspoon on (like a lot of people around me).
My cousin and I are more and more tempted to over to the east, at least there we'd be allowed to make some noise.:agree:

I know my rant is slightly off point but I needed to get it off my chest.

Good news - rant over..

jgl07
05-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Wooo easy tiger, in no way did I shout at the boy going down the stairs.....

I suggest you get your story straight.....
A word of advise.

When you are in a hole. Stop digging!

You are making a complete erse of yourself with these postings regardless of what allegedly took place in the West.

machibby
I dont get this......

I was trying to get the other fans going, and the only time I got upset was the moment when Hogg appeared injured and I shouted frustration at the Management.....

I sit there week in week out, and was chastised by you rightly or wrongly, which I took exception to.... If you had not felt the need to leave match, you would have noticed that I toned down entirely in the second half..... Can't believe I am being blamed for falling crowds....... I apologised to the other man at half time, and would have done so to you if you had reappeared.....

I left because my seven year old son felt was feeling uncomfortable from your aggression. Think you need to think about tonight a bit more clearly, the first guy who asked you to tone it down got you in his face shouting "who are you" repetitively at. And you went on to scream more. As for your blame in falling crowds, guy next to me said he wouldn't be taking his daughter back so there's another one. But hey it's fine you were just passionate so rightly or wrongly screw everyone else, right

Baldy Foghorn
Before I head to bed, I was spoken to by two stewards who told me to tone it down, which I did for the second half......

It is was really as bad as the opening post portrays would I not have been ejected from the ground?

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:29 PM
A word of advise.

When you are in a hole. Stop digging!

You are making a complete erse of yourself with these postings regardless of what allegedly took place in the West.

Making an erse of myself by fighting my corner? That's a new one.... What ever haooened to freedom of speech?

Baldy Foghorn
05-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I left because my seven year old son felt was feeling uncomfortable from your aggression. Think you need to think about tonight a bit more clearly, the first guy who asked you to tone it down got you in his face shouting "who are you" repetitively at. And you went on to scream more. As for your blame in falling crowds, guy next to me said he wouldn't be taking his daughter back so there's another one. But hey it's fine you were just passionate so rightly or wrongly screw everyone else, right

Obviously nothing I can say will help, so I will apologise and leave it at that..........

Ernie Cobra
05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Kids are going to be all over the ground, a bit of common sense should really mean that if there are kids around certain language is unacceptable. I have my daughter at games and i would have to say that it shouldnt take 2 or 3 times for someone to ask to tone language down in front of kids. Only my opinion, maybe i have set my standards too high?

Albanian Hibs
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Oh my god. Someone shouts and swears at a football match. Big ****ing deal :bitchy: I have heard worse in a school playground.

Chuckie
05-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Good on you Delabooze.

I'd rather have 5 of you than 5000 families.

Maybe the puritans can take their kids to the bowling of an evening?

Problem solved.

Albanian Hibs
05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
:agree: Chuckie, I would rather be at a match with 1000 passionate fans like Delabooze than 10000 boring buggers

deeks01
05-08-2010, 11:46 PM

the security folk were to busy making sure good natured fans didnae get in if theyd had a wee drink in them.....

the_ginger_hibee
05-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Feel sorry for kids feeling genuinely uncomfortable, but sorry, this is the football. Don't want to sound like a caveman but if shouting and swearing at football is out, then I'm afraid the spl crowds will go down quicker than gretna (If they aren't already).

Those lucky enough to watch the Maribor fans in action in Slovenia know what best suits the team and atmosphere, and its not silence and watching your tongue.

CallumHibs07
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Lol must have been funny watching that bit :greengrin

WHAM
06-08-2010, 12:01 AM
These kind of threads really annoy me.

It's a football match for **** sake! People have been having a shout (and sometimes a swear) at the football for generations. Some people do get a bit overexcited at times...but for me that's all parcel and parcel of it.

The way some people go on...ud think they'd prefer everyone to shut their mouths and watch the game in complete silence.

And I'm sure ur kid won't be scarred for life by the bad man shouting

:yawn:

RickyS
06-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Feel sorry for kids feeling genuinely uncomfortable, but sorry, this is the football. Don't want to sound like a caveman but if shouting and swearing at football is out, then I'm afraid the spl crowds will go down quicker than gretna (If they aren't already).

Those lucky enough to watch the Maribor fans in action in Slovenia know what best suits the team and atmosphere, and its not silence and watching your tongue.

again, without knowing what happened with the OP, I agree with you. I have seen it described as Tribalism. I dont know what it is, but there are too many dont's at the football - stand/smoke/drink/sing/sweary type words. I know there has to be a line somewhere though.
Generally the atmosphere has been declining in recent years (IMO)

Hainan Hibs
06-08-2010, 12:09 AM
To be honest, for me you just cannot beat a right good bit of swearing at matches. Throwing in the f word at just the right time can be an outstanding use of the English language.

Sometime normal language just can't cover your emotions when it comes to Hibs and football.

RickyS
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
To be honest, for me you just cannot beat a right good bit of swearing at matches. Throwing in the f word at just the right time can be an outstanding use of the English language.

Sometime normal language just can't cover your emotions when it comes to Hibs and football.

you do realise the folks who are in bed early will beat you up in the morning:greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Still wondering how Delabooze knows the OP is on about him:confused:

WHAM
06-08-2010, 12:18 AM
again, without knowing what happened with the OP, I agree with you. I have seen it described as Tribalism. I dont know what it is, but there are too many dont's at the football - stand/smoke/drink/sing/sweary type words. I know there has to be a line somewhere though.
Generally the atmosphere has been declining in recent years (IMO)

Agreed mate.

All these European countries get to stand, take flares to the games etc. I'd love to see flares here. Imagine them at the derbies. Class

Football in this country is ***** these days. It's so purified it's ridiculous. "sit on ur seat, don't swear, no bevvying (not even in plastic cups)...blah blah blah...or ul be ejected and maybe banned"

joke:grr:

CallumHibs07
06-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Still wondering how Delabooze knows the OP is on about him:confused:
Their stories do seem quite different...:hmmm:

marinello59
06-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Agreed mate.

All these European countries get to stand, take flares to the games etc. I'd love to see flares here. Imagine them at the derbies. Class

Football in this country is ***** these days. It's so purified it's ridiculous. "sit on ur seat, don't swear, no bevvying (not even in plastic cups)...blah blah blah...or ul be ejected and maybe banned"

joke:grr:

What was it like in the good old days then?

WHAM
06-08-2010, 12:44 AM
What was it like in the good old days then?

TBH mate even going back about 10 years ago (or mibbe even 5) the atmospheres at ER and other grounds were a lot better. Now maybe the atmosphere at Easter rd is always best when we are playing well...for example during McLeish's spell and Mowbray's spell I thought the support/atmospheres were great...really vocal, rowdy and travelled in big numbers etc.

Even the Edinburgh Derby and Old Firm games are a lot quieter these days IMO.

I defo don't enjoy the football as much as I did back then.

We need something to liven the game up

Dashing Bob S
06-08-2010, 05:53 AM
I don't think i've been as annoyed/frustrated at a game for a while, and I found my language mirroring that. However, I was conscious of small children around me and tried - not always successfully- to reign it in.

With ground redevelopment it was always going to be an awkward night with families mixed in with groups of guys who go for a good colourful shout. I suggest that rather than having a go at each other on those forums, we should accept these difficult one-off circumstances, and in the future, if we want and swear, go to the east, and if we want to take wives/girlfriends, kids, more sensitive friends, go to the west/FF.

Now that the east has no pillars, there's no excuse for the 'vociferous bam' to be in other parts of the ground nor is there any reason for the 'shrinking violet' to be in the east.

What I'm saying is, ground redevelopment should sort this problem out once and for all.

Hibs On Tour
06-08-2010, 06:31 AM
I don't think i've been as annoyed/frustrated at a game for a while, and I found my language mirroring that. However, I was conscious of small children around me and tried - not always successfully- to reign it in.

With ground redevelopment it was always going to be an awkward night with families mixed in with groups of guys who go for a good colourful shout. I suggest that rather than having a go at each other on those forums, we should accept these difficult one-off circumstances, and in the future, if we want and swear, go to the east, and if we want to take wives/girlfriends, kids, more sensitive friends, go to the west/FF.

Now that the east has no pillars, there's no excuse for the 'vociferous bam' to be in other parts of the ground nor is there any reason for the 'shrinking violet' to be in the east.

What I'm saying is, ground redevelopment should sort this problem out once and for all.

Agreed 100% :top marks

You two - kiss and make up - right now! The Hibees Family needs ALL of us - the rambuctuous neds, the families with the wee kiddies and yes, the bams too. About time we all started having a little more positive attitude towards each other instead of us all looking for reasons to put each other down. As another poster says, if we continue that our crowds will continue falling and our atmosphere with them. Be like a game in Japan soon where we have to sit and just politely clap...

Hibs On Tour
06-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Agree.

My boy wanted to leave (very) early because of the excessive swearing.

Dave, I've told you before to watch your tongue! :wink:

houston1875
06-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Getting into a argument with a father in front of his young son...nice,scaring a 7rd old boy? Bet he could charm the paint of walls that boy...

Beefster
06-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Good on you Delabooze.

Problem solved.

I've got a feeling that Rodders and the Financial Director would disagree with you.

erskine-hibby
06-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Good on you Delabooze.

Problem solved.

I've got a feeling that Rodders and the Financial Director would disagree with you.

My thoughts exactly Beefster:agree:

bighairyfaeleith
06-08-2010, 06:50 AM
you do realise the folks who are in bed early will beat you up in the morning:greengrin

**** them:wink:

TornadoHibby
06-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Sadly, there are "fans" constantly "in the face of a battle" doubtless because of things going on in their private lives and nothing to do with football which become a problem for all fans sitting near or around them! :cool2:

Whilst some of the reasons for their behaviour may be understandable if they were known by those affected by the behaviour, those reasons are not public knowledge therefore the behaviour is simply received as outragious and aggressive precipitating further similar behaviour from those affected often! :agree:

The stewards MUST take an active role in helping to educate these people that their behaviour, however caused, is unacceptable and deal with each case "head on" as they arise. Turning the other cheek is not an acceptable option, particularly in this case, when a young lad has been upset by unacceptable behaviour of a "Hibs fan" at the "Hibs Family Home"! :grr:

Get it sorted Petrie! :agree:

Keith_M
06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I can't decide if Delabooze is at the wind up or not but he's certainly not painting himself in a good light.

IF the OP has described the situation as it actually happened, and I'm not saying he has or hasn't, the person he describes should have been warned for his behaviour earlier, then threatened with ejection from the stadium if it persisted, and quite frankly should be ashamed of himself. Sadly, I can't imagine he will be as some people seem to think it's their divine right to act like total phannys at games.

I probably would have had a slightly more sympathetic view on this if it had been the East Stand, as I wouldn't recommend families going in their at all, but it wasn't.

Either way, I really don't get the connection that some people are trying to make between a good atmosphere at games and foul mouthed aggressive behaviour towards their own team and other fans.

matty_f
06-08-2010, 08:11 AM

That was just along from me as well, and was out of order. The guy's wee girl was in tears at the situation. Nobody should be feeling threatened like that anywhere, let alone at the football. The fan that interjected was beside us.

Have to say that at times there appear to be folk who cannot wait to start on other fans, which is pish poor, IMHO.

As for shouting and swearing, I've nothing against it in moderation, when I take my kids I expect that they'll hear a bit of it, but people have a responsibility for their behaviour and excessive swearing and abuse can be really intimidating for other people, and especially children.

The excuse that it's ok because it's the football and passions run high is bollocks. People need to take responsibility for their actions and realise that civilized society does not stop the moment you enter a football ground. Delabooze, good to read that you took responsibility and calmed down.

Spike Mandela
06-08-2010, 08:14 AM

You ****ing ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:win k::greengrin

Beefster
06-08-2010, 08:22 AM

The club has recently been marketing the entire stadium for families.

Jay
06-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Good on you Delabooze.

Problem solved.

If it what I saw/heard (couldny help hearing :greengrin) in the lower west near the FF stand then I dont think it was quite as bad as the OP said. Delabooze are you as bald as a coot and have a voice like a foghorn? You were about 5 rows behind me and to say you were shouting is a bit of an understatement - you were bellowing to the point ma hied was bursting, how anybody sitting right in front of you coped I dont know! BUT when I saw the stewards talking to you I asked my 13 year old if there had been excessive bad language as I hadn't picked up on it and he said he hadn't either, maybe a bit but nothing most weren't saying at a decent volume. Personally I didn't have a problem with it nor would I have had if I had had my 8 and 9 year olds with me, its footy and you have to expect it to a point. However if I had been closer to you I think I would have had to have asked you to adjust the volume just slightly :greengrin

Chuckie I would rather have 5000 Delaboozes than 1 of you. Your attitude stinks way more than anything Delabooze did at the game last night.

One thing DB?? Tell me you dont have a season ticket for that seat this season :greengrin

Speedway
06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
What about having the east as a dedicated swearing stand?

Ollie75
06-08-2010, 09:12 AM

"******ing ........BOOOOOOOOO" for when booo is just not enough!

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
If it what I saw/heard (couldny help hearing :greengrin) in the lower west near the FF stand then I dont think it was quite as bad as the OP said. Delabooze are you as bald as a coot and have a voice like a foghorn? You were about 5 rows behind me and to say you were shouting is a bit of an understatement - you were bellowing to the point ma hied was bursting, how anybody sitting right in front of you coped I dont know! BUT when I saw the stewards talking to you I asked my 13 year old if there had been excessive bad language as I hadn't picked up on it and he said he hadn't either, maybe a bit but nothing most weren't saying at a decent volume. Personally I didn't have a problem with it nor would I have had if I had had my 8 and 9 year olds with me, its footy and you have to expect it to a point. However if I had been closer to you I think I would have had to have asked you to adjust the volume just slightly :greengrin

Chuckie I would rather have 5000 Delaboozes than 1 of you. Your attitude stinks way more than anything Delabooze did at the game last night.

One thing DB?? Tell me you dont have a season ticket for that seat this season :greengrin

Thanks Mrs S..... Yes I am as bald as a coot, and shout loudly (like a foghorn)..... I was trying to gee Hibs up last night, and I was not continually swearing as was said in opening post..... I am afraid that is my season ticket seat..... Surprised you have not heard me before?:wink:

"Get your heads up Hibs", and "c'mon Hibs", is not giving the team stick as I was accused of........

Antifa Hibs
06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Football has and always will be (for most anyway) an excuse for a few pints and let a bit steam off. Passions also run high. I've been going to ER every week (aswell as away games) since I was about 4-5 years old, going to Ibrox and Tynie when things were bad, never was intimidated once, loved it infact, swearing didn't bother me one bit.

This is whats wrong about scottish fitba, all this family image pish. Granted familys should be encouraged to games, but this shouldn't be at the expense off your "regular matchday going lads". With this new (pointless) stand up, there should be room for everyone...

After reading the whole thread, grassing to stewards about someone having a shout and a swear or two, then the stewards actually pulling someone up about it is a *** embarrassment. Wonder if you got that 30 years ago..? Welcome to modern day football :cool2:

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Football has and always will be (for most anyway) an excuse for a few pints and let a bit steam off. Passions also run high. I've been going to ER every week (aswell as away games) since I was about 4-5 years old, going to Ibrox and Tynie when things were bad, never was intimidated once, loved it infact, swearing didn't bother me one bit.

This is whats wrong about scottish fitba, all this family image pish. Granted familys should be encouraged to games, but this shouldn't be at the expense off your "regular matchday going lads". With this new (pointless) stand up, there should be room for everyone...

No excuse for me to have a few pints Antifa, I am teetotal..... Maybe had too much Irn Bru pre match which made me hyper?:wink:

Jay
06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Mrs S..... Yes I am as bald as a coot, and shout loudly (like a foghorn)..... I was trying to gee Hibs up last night, and I was not continually swearing as was said in opening post..... I am afraid that is my season ticket seat..... Surprised you have not heard me before?:wink:

"Get your heads up Hibs", and "c'mon Hibs", is not giving the team stick as I was accused of........

I have sat there for years and never heard you before. I didn't hear anything abusive just bloody loud! You'd do well selling Hibs crested ear muffs to the folks around you :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I have sat there for years and never heard you before. I didn't hear anything abusive just bloody loud! You'd do well selling Hibs crested ear muffs to the folks around you :greengrin

Wait until my mate next to me starts, he is louder than me......:agree:

Come and speak to me at the Gers game, put a face to your name:wink:

Jay
06-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Wait until my mate next to me starts, he is louder than me......:agree:

Come and speak to me at the Gers game, put a face to your name:wink:

Me and the wee boy have sat there for years, about 4 or 5 rows in front right on the aisle. Normally the wee boy sits at the end but I was there last night. He has spikey hair and glasses, I am a leggy 6ft tall busty blonde, dont know how you haven't noticed us before :cool2:

(I am actally 5ft 2 and need to lose a few pounds :greengrin)

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Me and the wee boy have sat there for years, about 4 or 5 rows in front right on the aisle. Normally the wee boy sits at the end but I was there last night. He has spikey hair and glasses, I am a leggy 6ft tall busty blonde, dont know how you haven't noticed us before :cool2:

Haha OK I will introduce myself to you at Rangers game.........

Bishop Hibee
06-08-2010, 10:03 AM
As DBS posted earlier, hopefully anyone who has children who are easily offended or who are offended by swearing themselves will sit in the West or FF stands.

Personally as a kid, I loved watching the fans going mad, swearing, jumping up and down etc. The more crazy the atmosphere the better. Drew the line at chunks of terracing getting thrown at us though when playing the Huns :grr: My own kids love the more "colourful" characters at ER and the more singing and noise the better. They leave certain sweary words out of certain songs when with me as I do when with them. I have been known to let the odd swear word loose much to their amusement :tsk tsk:

Mindless abuse of certain players while ignoring the faults of others gets on my goat though. Plenty of that from some individuals in the West Upper last night.

MacBean
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Some people really do think they're in a library. I shout (quite a bit at times), but don't swear and there's 2 women in front of me who turn around and glare at me whenever i open my mouth. i've got a wee boy sitting behind me (he was there last season too), I apologised to the people he was with some times because of the noise I was making and they were ok.
I was getting dirty looks tonight when I was shouting the team on and once when I shouted over to Yogi to get Wotherspoon on (like a lot of people around me).
My cousin and I are more and more tempted to over to the east, at least there we'd be allowed to make some noise.:agree:

I know my rant is slightly off point but I needed to get it off my chest.

Good news - rant over..

Obviously don't know the ins and outs of this particular incident but it's ironic that we are being told that either the west is a graveyard or it's peopled by ranting swearers - depends on your perpspective and where you are sat I suppose. There are guys on here who would defend their right to stand up and block the view of everyone behind them.

FWIW, I do get excited and use colourful language myself. (Amazing really as I sit in the West, where noone supports the team!) However, if a parent pointed out their wee kid and asked me to desist, I would feel that was a fair enough request, especially if the kid is fazed by it.

I sit in the West upper also. I have a kid about 10 years old beside me, i chat to him regularly and he is a good wee laddy with a sound football knowledge for his age. I dont know his name but he is beside me all season.
there has been times ive got heated when were playing the old firm/hearts/important matches (D.Utd last season) or a baffling referee decisions where the occasional swear has left my mouth. I appologised to the wee laddie the first few times and he and his dad were both fine with it saying they expect it when they come to the games. Its part and parcel of football but i am concious of who is around me and do my best to keep the swearing to a minimum, but sometimes it cant be helped.

There is no excuse constant swearing and shouting left right and centre but the odd burst sometimes cant be helped especially when your so passionate about something.

I got p'd off with Yogi's simple ignorance to what was happening on the park and had to have a rant as i marched out the stadium and had a burst at McBride's stupidity for conceding the penalty, but by then it was down to the frustration that has built up in me and like most fans since January where we have struggled.

Boris
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Delabooze are you as bald as a coot and have a voice like a foghorn?
:greengrin
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:top marks

I think I recognise that description. I think this "Delabooze" character has a history of this behaviour. If its the same guy I am thinking of I remember him screaming at Mixu at the pre-season defeat a Cowdenbeath a while back - "Are you watching this Mixu" he screamed. Mixu, sitting on the bench, turned round & shut him up by saying clamly "Yes, I'm watching from the bench". The baldy foghorm then turned his anger against Rob Jones for the rest of the game. And unless I'm mistaken I also came across him in an Easy jet queue coming back from Mirabor last week when he took exception to a short delay caused by some Americans - appeared to be a band - having trouble booking their instruments in for the flight. Shouting, swearing & challenges to fight. No, I'm afraid this sort of behaviour just isn't on these days. I go to the football for a bit of peace & quiet not to hear hyped up individuals getting all excited.

M11BMO
06-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Oh for F*** Sake!

Swearing is part and parcel of going to football matches.

Delabooze, shame on you for causing the falling numbers in football attendencies.

Zondervan
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Try attending some of these events instead:

http://www.scottishopera.org.uk/whats-on

:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:top marks

I think I recognise that description. I think this "Delabooze" character has a history of this behaviour. If its the same guy I am thinking of I remember him screaming at Mixu at the pre-season defeat a Cowdenbeath a while back - "Are you watching this Mixu" he screamed. Mixu, sitting on the bench, turned round & shut him up by saying clamly "Yes, I'm watching from the bench". The baldy foghorm then turned his anger against Rob Jones for the rest of the game. And unless I'm mistaken I also came across him in an Easy jet queue coming back from Mirabor last week when he took exception to a short delay caused by some Americans - appeared to be a band - having trouble booking their instruments in for the flight. Shouting, swearing & challenges to fight. No, I'm afraid this sort of behaviour just isn't on these days. I go to the football for a bit of peace & quiet not to hear hyped up individuals getting all excited.

:stirrer::stirrer:

ackeygraham
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM

I cant agree more with this, the east will be full of us being vocal, maybe shouting one or two....maybe more colourful words...but you expect that.

Gerard
06-08-2010, 10:29 AM
There should be a stand where a family can go and where 'industrial language' is not used. Football is a game that people are passionate about and do swear or use industrial language.
If you do not like this then go to the stand for families or watch another sport, perhaps snooker.
Gerard

Twa Cairpets
06-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Big difference between shouting, singing, getting involved and being passionate - thats a world away from being ignorant, stupid, aggresive and anti-social.

There is a difference. Ive no problem with swearing - i do it, so I could hardly be otherwise, but it needs to be in context and not just a constant stream of moronic vitriol, delivered without any humour, thought or consideration.

Andy74
06-08-2010, 10:46 AM
There's swearing and there is swearing. West Stand lower, towards the away end up the back last night. It was murder. My old man was there, his first football match for about 20 years. A guy brought up in Pilton and watched football and played football for years.

He'd never heard anyhting like it and I was a bit embarassed for taking him in there. Main Stand as well, i wasn't really asking for it.

There were a pile of people in there who every four or five seconds were giving it f****** c****.

Worst I'd heard in a long time and way over what was acceptable for a main stand.

The Big No.9
06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
A few of us were in the west upper last night and i have to admit that some of the shouts from us and people around us contained some shocking language but it wasnt every 2 mins.

Last nights outbursts were bourne out of sheer frustration and everyone of us is so passionate about Hibs and know we are better than the performance.

Swearing seems to be part and parcel of the passionate fan and i think half the time you dont even realise you are doing it, i have a six month old son and cant wait to take him to games and i know he will hear some choice language but how can i criticise somebody when i am guilty of that myself at times.

You just have to put it in to context and understand its not ment to upset anyone near to you its just the frustration of the situation.

And yes if somebdy asked me to calm it down i would, i have also told mates to watch there laungage if kids are around us but sometimes you just cant help it.

JimBHibees
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Big difference between shouting, singing, getting involved and being passionate - thats a world away from being ignorant, stupid, aggresive and anti-social.

There is a difference. Ive no problem with swearing - i do it, so I could hardly be otherwise, but it needs to be in context and not just a constant stream of moronic vitriol, delivered without any humour, thought or consideration.

Thats about the size of it. Huge difference between a sweary outburst over what happens in a game than thinkiing you have walked in on the Tourettes convention.

Jay
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM

I just re read this and thought I would point out that the fan in question was spoken to at length - in fact for most of half time, by a couple of the stewards. I know the stewards get a hard time and in my opinion mostly rightly so but after you spoke to them they did speak to him. :agree:

johnrebus
06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
The longer Yogi stays in charge, this siutation will no longer be a problem.

With the new East Stand open there will be more than enough room for all remaining Hibbies to sit in complete isolation from each other..............,

:boo hoo:

Bad Martini
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Easter Road is plenty big enough for EVERYONE and am no havin anyone saying one side or the other isny welcome.....fitba's working class and as DirtyDashinBoab above says, when the buildin work is done, there's plenty options for separation.

We ALL know the difference between right and wrong - lines we shouldnae cross (And am nae longer talking aboot this incident the thread was started aboot) but more generally.

Fans of all ages have EVERY ****ing right to be at ER and there's naebody bigger than the club to say otherwise. Todays' younger fans will be the morns' season ticket holders...dinny forget that....we're in an ageing population and pounds make prizes or in the case of a fitba club, pounds make players.......the colour of green we can ill afford to get rid off.

ENDOF

Aldo
06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
And after reading the threads on this post this is the reason I will not be taking my 6 year old daughter to E.R.

Someone on the bounce posting that a guy was calling bamba a "WOG" and "TREE CLIMBER".

For the people who sit next to these people get their seat numbers and send a letter into the club expressing your concerns and disgust.

There is no place at ER for racism in any way shape or form.

I was a season ticket holder in the old main stand for a few years and a guy kept calling Latapy a spear chucker I told him to shut up and he threatented to stab me. I waited outside for him and he crapped himself. the following week he was there carrying on where he left off. To my surprise others around us told him to shut it and never saw him after that.

capitals_finest
06-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Shame to hear all this infighting amongst us.

First of all, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR RACISM AT EASTER ROAD. Shouting racist remarks to anyone should not be tolerated and if i hear someone shout something racist (has been a very long time now thankfully) then we should all speak up and that is the only way it will stop.

Secondly, swearing goes hand in hand with going to football games. Some people need to calm down a bit and just ignore it, laugh at it if you want. While others maybe need to have a bit more common sense and think before they open their mouths especially if they are surrounded by young ones. NOTE: When the east is open swearing and aggression should be encouraged :cool2:

RIP
06-08-2010, 12:34 PM

I'm in the Singing Section.

Don't think for a minute any parent is going to put up with really bad language in that stand either. I swore several times last night but there's a massive silent majority out there that are sick to the bad teeth of folk who spoil the party for others

Women and kids make up 40% of ST's now and that number is increasing every year. If we don't cool it we will end up with a "Zero Tolerance" campaign and be policed heavily.

I'd rather we be self-regulating and wake up to the fact that people pay to watch the match - no listen to us spouting our sheight and loss of control.

Bishop Hibee
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
And after reading the threads on this post this is the reason I will not be taking my 6 year old daughter to E.R.

Someone on the bounce posting that a guy was calling bamba a "WOG" and "TREE CLIMBER".

For the people who sit next to these people get their seat numbers and send a letter into the club expressing your concerns and disgust.

There is no place at ER for racism in any way shape or form.

I was a season ticket holder in the old main stand for a few years and a guy kept calling Latapy a spear chucker I told him to shut up and he threatented to stab me. I waited outside for him and he crapped himself. the following week he was there carrying on where he left off. To my surprise others around us told him to shut it and never saw him after that.

Good on you Aldo. Me and my mates have challenged racism from fans in ER and at aways on a few occasions over the years. Got rid of a racist selling "Bulldog" with the help of a sympathetic P.C. years ago. Never an easy thing to do but sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe.

I'm in the Singing Section.

Don't think for a minute any parent is going to put up with really bad language in that stand either. I swore several times last night but there's a massive silent majority out there that are sick to the bad teeth of folk who spoil the party for others

Women and kids make up 40% of ST's now and that number is increasing every year. If we don't cool it we will end up with a "Zero Tolerance" campaign and be policed heavily.

I'd rather we be self-regulating and wake up to the fact that people pay to watch the match - no listen to us spouting our sheight and loss of control.

Will you report the singing section when they sing songs with swearwords in them? This is a serious question.

susieq
06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Shame to hear all this infighting amongst us.

First of all, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR RACISM AT EASTER ROAD. Shouting racist remarks to anyone should not be tolerated and if i hear someone shout something racist (has been a very long time now thankfully) then we should all speak up and that is the only way it will stop.

Secondly, swearing goes hand in hand with going to football games. Some people need to calm down a bit and just ignore it, laugh at it if you want. While others maybe need to have a bit more common sense and think before they open their mouths especially if they are surrounded by young ones. NOTE: When the east is open swearing and aggression should be encouraged :cool2:

totally agree!
I've sometimes had to remind my husband to tone it down abit, but when alls said and done, if you don't want your kids to hear bad language don't take them to the footy, as someone else posted i'm sure they hear worse in the playground.
there is a difference between swearing at the pitch or being in someone face threatning them personally!

matty_f
06-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Spot on, unfortunately some folk don't seem to know the difference.

SunshineOnLeith
06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Does Easter Road have a Family Stand/Family Enclosure?

Keith_M
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Does Easter Road have a Family Stand/Family Enclosure?

The FF and the West are both considered to be Family Stands by the club. I think it should help when the East is finally open.

LEaston87
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
my dad used to take me to see hibs in the terracing when i was wee and I used to hear a lot of bad language and shouting but it never done me any harm, and it certainly never bothered me.

Fair enough if it does bother your kid and your kid actually tells you it bothers him then I agree with the OP telling the guy to pipe down

RIP
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I sing a lot and in the new East Singing Section I will swear plenty - trust me

Hopefully though I will be able to tell the difference between swearing in my songs of support for the boys in green and screaming abuse at my team or in others faces.

Out of all those I saw screaming abuse last night not a single one had any colours on?

May not be relevant?

Holmesdale Hibs
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Shouting and swearing is part of football. If we ban it then we’ll end up with an atmosphere like a rugby match and **** that.

Loud and excessive swearing should be banned from the family section (if we have one? If we don’t then we should), anywhere else its fair enough. The only time I disapprove is if the swearing is excessive (racist etc) or directed at anyone associated with Hibs whether it’s a player, manager or other fan. I would rather it was directed at the opposition.

I would say to the original poster that you should come back to ER after the east stand has opened. Most of the noise, bad language etc will come from over there and the West will be more of a family stand.

Speedway
06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Shouting and swearing is part of football. If we ban it then we’ll end up with an atmosphere like a rugby match and **** that.

Loud and excessive swearing should be banned from the family section (if we have one? If we don’t then we should), anywhere else its fair enough. The only time I disapprove is if the swearing is excessive (racist etc) or directed at anyone associated with Hibs whether it’s a player, manager or other fan. I would rather it was directed at the opposition.

I would say to the original poster that you should come back to ER after the east stand has opened. Most of the noise, bad language etc will come from over there and the West will be more of a family stand.

Hopefully Petrie can get that message through to the turnstyle operators and get them in the spirit of things so that when you enter the East, you'll be greeted with '******* ticket please, ya ****.'

dangermouse
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Shouting at the game is allowed but the use of the "C" word, allegedly, is highly inappropriate when there are children about. Glad you heeded the stewards advice and hope you don't find yourself in that situation again.

I get caught up in the heat of the moment at times as well but find I can restrain from letting out the swear words in front of my son. You cannot legislate for what people shout at a football match but sometimes a wee bit give and take can sort it out.

MJN1875
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Less people like you and more people showing passion at the games the better. What did you really expect to hear after that garbage last night? People paid £15 to get into that to see a game that was finished by the 20th minute. I think people have the right to be angry, and if you have a problem with that then just dont bother coming back.

Speedway
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Less people like you and more people showing passion at the games the better. What did you really expect to hear after that garbage last night? People paid £15 to get into that to see a game that was finished by the 20th minute. I think people have the right to be angry, and if you have a problem with that then just dont bother coming back.

Likewise.

DaveF
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM

That's the way to go, right enough :crazy:

Andy74
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Nah, i swear like a tropper with the best of them but in the main stand last night the frequuncy, severity and m,anner of it was out of order from certain people.

It wasn't passion or frustration it was just complete anti social behaviour.

As I said above my Dad has seen and heard it all over decades and he was shocked.

andrew_dundee
06-08-2010, 02:41 PM
if swearing is such a big part of football then why is it banned on these forums? it's ****ing *****

Holmesdale Hibs
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Aye, that'll help. Children and families can just GTF?

Surely you want as many fans as possible going to games?

andrew_dundee
06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
if swearing is such a big part of football then why is it banned on these forums? it's ****ing *****

Gatecrasher
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
is this a problem of hibs own making then?

It used to be the case where the FF Lower was the family section and was advertised and priced as such, but now hibs have the pricing through the stadium the same (i think) so you get the radges who like the odd shout and swear who previously who could do so with no problem sitting next to 5 year olds with pissed off parents??

could be wrong though

Beefster
06-08-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm getting bored by the number of uber-fans telling other Hibees that they're not welcome at games.

Folk paid £15 for a game that was over before it started. If they thought that it was only after a goal on 19 minutes that the tie was finished, they're not using their brain to its full capabilities.

bignelly83
06-08-2010, 03:13 PM

How will ground redevelopment sort this out when Hibs are offering under 5 seasons tickets in the east?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/tickets/prices/0,,10290,00.html

I think that it should have been sorted out and have an 'adults only' (used loosely, and I count myself in that!!!) section = the whole East Stand. Dont get me wrong I do not want to discourage kids from going to the game, even if it is that guff that we saw last night but there is now plenty of room to accommodate all.

LeithBoozy
06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
When the East, West or FF start singing your Hearts Bar-Steward it should be made mandatory for everyone to join in with the swearing and the singing. :agree:

RIP
06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Not an uber fan nor a monk - just asking some our louder fellow Hibbies to screw the nut and no piss off other fellow fans

Paying £15 doesn't entitle any of us to ruin somebody else's night

I think it's really brave of Brockie to own up and apologise (even after giving it the big Mohammed Ali - who are you - don't you know who I am routine :greengrin). I'm also a baldy bam and a teetotaller as well - so we've nae excuse

gogs_t
06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I sit in the West upper also. I have a kid about 10 years old beside me, i chat to him regularly and he is a good wee laddy with a sound football knowledge for his age. I dont know his name but he is beside me all season.
there has been times ive got heated when were playing the old firm/hearts/important matches (D.Utd last season) or a baffling referee decisions where the occasional swear has left my mouth. I appologised to the wee laddie the first few times and he and his dad were both fine with it saying they expect it when they come to the games. Its part and parcel of football but i am concious of who is around me and do my best to keep the swearing to a minimum, but sometimes it cant be helped.

There is no excuse constant swearing and shouting left right and centre but the odd burst sometimes cant be helped especially when your so passionate about something.

I got p'd off with Yogi's simple ignorance to what was happening on the park and had to have a rant as i marched out the stadium and had a burst at McBride's stupidity for conceding the penalty, but by then it was down to the frustration that has built up in me and like most fans since January where we have struggled.

I'm his dad (he's 11) and the occasional swear word has left my mouth as well :rolleyes:

You're totally correct, the odd burst can't be helped as passions do run high and if that was taken from the spectator experience we'd be as well going to the cinema - to quote the illustrious Mr B.

As a parent I know what to expect at football matches as I've been going since getting liftovers from my dad, and have no problems with my kids - he's inherited his big sisters seat - being subjected to the occasional flurry of 'colourful language'. They'll hear just as bad in the playground. But they should never be subjected to the threatening, foul mouth tirades that come from some and it's sad that some people feel they need to justify this type of behaviour :confused:

basehibby
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm inclined to side with Delabooze here - football is a game which inspires passion in the stands and the odd swearyword is bound to escape - in fact many songs which are commonly sung are littered with profanities - so I would suggest that anyone who objects strongly to their kids' ears being polluted by colourful language should take them elsewhere on matchday - particularly for big games where there's a lot at stake.

For the benefit of MacHibby here are a selection of lines from commonly sung Hibs songs - personally I'd like to hear these sung as loudly and frequently as possible - hope noone complains to the stewards!

"But the boys in blue got f****d 6-2 by the famous embra hibees"

"We hate Glasgow Rangers we hate Celtic too - they're sh**e"

"You Hearts Bas***d"

These are the sort of things I would EXPECT to hear at a football match - I would also HOPE for the atmosphere to be noisy and if I thought my kid was going to be upset by this sort of thing then I wouldn't take them.

A halfway house does exist though - it's called the Hibs Kids - I've taken my wee one along to several of these games and have always got tickets in the Famous Five stand which is clearly more family orientated than the other stands. Knowing that a lot of kids are about I've noticed that most of the adults in there are clearly exercising some restraint on Hibs Kids days and you'll often hear prize quotes like "dash it referee you're an absolute blighter!". Maybe MacHibby should give this a try.

Brizo
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Years ago when my kids were kids ive pulled guys up for fng and cng beside us in the FF family stand. Fair play to those ive asked to mind their language theyve appreciated the enviroment theyre in and screwed the nut. In a mixed stand imho you have to go with the flow especially if someones outburst is a heat of the moment rant. There are however some characters who seem to develop Tourettes syndrome when they enter the ground and will f and c for the whole 90 minutes regardless of whats happening on the pitch. I often think its all a bit attention seeking - look at me im a right gadgie / wideo .... or maybe theyre just morons. Characters like that dont just upset bairns but annoy a lot of adult fans beside them and im all for the brave amongst us pulling them up.

RIP
06-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm inclined to side with Delabooze here - football is a game which inspires passion in the stands and the odd swearyword is bound to escape - in fact many songs which are commonly sung are littered with profanities - so I would suggest that anyone who objects strongly to their kids' ears being polluted by colourful language should take them elsewhere on matchday - particularly for big games where there's a lot at stake.

For the benefit of MacHibby here are a selection of lines from commonly sung Hibs songs - personally I'd like to hear these sung as loudly and frequently as possible - hope noone complains to the stewards!

"But the boys in blue got f****d 6-2 by the famous embra hibees"

"We hate Glasgow Rangers we hate Celtic too - they're sh**e"

"You Hearts Bas***d"

These are the sort of things I would EXPECT to hear at a football match - I would also HOPE for the atmosphere to be noisy and if I thought my kid was going to be upset by this sort of thing then I wouldn't take them.

A halfway house does exist though - it's called the Hibs Kids - I've taken my wee one along to several of these games and have always got tickets in the Famous Five stand which is clearly more family orientated than the other stands. Knowing that a lot of kids are about I've noticed that most of the adults in there are clearly exercising some restraint on Hibs Kids days and you'll often hear prize quotes like "dash it referee you're an absolute blighter!". Maybe MacHibby should give this a try.

Delabooze has apologised to MacHibby. He crossed the line - I've done it too

Nobody minds good sweary singing. It the spitting and scaryman apoplectic behaviour of us when we get going that we have to keep in check

marinello59
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
As a parent I know what to expect at football matches as I've been going since getting liftovers from my dad, and have no problems with my kids - he's inherited his big sisters seat - being subjected to the occasional flurry of 'colourful language'. They'll hear just as bad in the playground. But they should never be subjected to the threatening, foul mouth tirades that come from some and it's sad that some people feel they need to justify this type of behaviour :confused:

Well put. I don't think anybody here is proposing zero tolerance of swearing. Common decency still applies to football supporters though no matter what some may think.

MSK
06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
if swearing is such a big part of football then why is it banned on these forums? it's ****ing *****Its not banned, we have filters as you have just proved, we also are a family forum so that is why these rules are imposed ..if you dont like that then i suggest you post elsewhere ..

Rules with regards swearing on here have nothing to do with the thread topic ..

down-the-slope
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Either way, I really don't get the connection that some people are trying to make between a good atmosphere at games and foul mouthed aggressive behaviour towards their own team and other fans.

:agree: they are two completly different things

Most of those swearing and behaving like eejits were definately NOT supporting the team, but berating it

That is the big change...the last 2 years has seen a marked increase in the number of people who show no support for the team and start from first to last slagging the team / individual players....even had a couple of regulars who took to abusing those on the bench...'why don't you bring on that **** +++++++ on, that will really help things' :rolleyes: I personally find all that much more depressing than any team performance (and I have seen plenty over past 25 years that have not been great)
Fans used to support and kept their major gripes to the pub etc...why is this...is it society changing to the Me Me Me culture? is it our having limited success recent years raising expectation thats?... or what?

jane_says
06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
How will ground redevelopment sort this out when Hibs are offering under 5 seasons tickets in the east?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/tickets/prices/0,,10290,00.html

I think that it should have been sorted out and have an 'adults only' (used loosely, and I count myself in that!!!) section = the whole East Stand. Dont get me wrong I do not want to discourage kids from going to the game, even if it is that guff that we saw last night but there is now plenty of room to accommodate all.

i remember my mum getting my season ticket in the east when i was 15 and she was asked if she was aware of the swearing and the fact most people stood.

surely this is all that's needed nowadays, then people have no excuse to pick the east over west or f/f if they've got kids :dunno:

MeldrumHibby
06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I was F...ing and C...ing at the computer last night every time the stream thingy froze until my daughter complained to my wife and I was sent to bed!!! :tsk tsk: Fairly missed the Russian athletics as well

CB_NO3
06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Tin hat on for this one but for god sake we are at a football game, surely swaring when our team is embarresing as ours is allowed now and again. Its football for god sake, not the cinema. This is why football fans are not interested in the sport these days with all these petty rules and stupid all seated stadiums. You cant even stick your finger up these days without getting a row. All this Americanised family day out is what is ruining football and its the reason why crowds will get worse and worse over the next 5 to 10 years.

No.4
06-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Is this a serious thread?

Swearing comes hand in hand with football. I remember going to matches as a kid with my dad and hearing everyone swearing and ripping the opposition to pieces with some of the funniest insults you could imagine. I loved it, it was exciting and it got me passionate about supporting the team.

In the FF Upper last night you could've heard a mouse fart, and that was before they had even scored.

If the options are having a stadium full of supporters who shout, swear, sing and have a good time or the graveyard like atmosphere at present, then I know what I'd choose.

As other posters have said, go use the family stand if it bothers you.

marinello59
06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Is this a serious thread?

Swearing comes hand in hand with football. I remember going to matches as a kid with my dad and hearing everyone swearing and ripping the opposition to pieces with some of the funniest insults you could imagine. I loved it, it was exciting and it got me passionate about supporting the team.

Are you deliberately ignoring the point the OP and others are making? It's not the swearing per se that is being condemned. What is witty about throwing a torrent of abuse at our own? It's not funny and when around kids it's not clever.
Of course people swear at games. Mindless abuse is a different thing. You can tell the difference can't you?

Big Frank
06-08-2010, 07:31 PM
BF jnr came to his 2nd ever match. There were a couple of trumpets round about. You know the type. Managers, every one:rolleyes:

There was excessive swearing/abuse towards the team:agree::boo hoo:

BF jnr was a bit shaken with it, till I started making fun of them to him. It turned into a bit of a game, and by the end of the match he was ignoring the ignorant, and loving the whole experience. He wants to go back to the Leith San Siro and I'm proud as hell.

I think next year the entire FF should be sold to families only.

I hope the OP can take his child to the match again, I hope Aldo takes his 6year old daughter, and I hope Delabooze and his like, can see the difference between support and abuse. Its misdirected passion. But a passion that the game desperately needs. When correctly chanelled.

Gatecrasher
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
BF jnr came to his 2nd ever match. There were a couple of trumpets round about. You know the type. Managers, every one:rolleyes:

BF jnr was a bit shaken with it, till I started making fun of them to him. It turned into a bit of a game, and by the end of the match he was ignoring the ignorant, and loving the whole experience. He wants to go back to the Leith San Siro and I'm proud as hell.

I hope the OP can take his child to the match again, I hope Aldo takes his 6year old daughter, and I hope Delabooze and his like, can see the difference between support and abuse. Its misdirected passion. But a passion that the game desperately needs. When correctly chanelled.

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Delabooze and his like, :bye:

I can assure you I was giving the team support all night and shouted abuse once, when I shouted at Hughes to make a sub..... Try reading the full thread before having an aimless dig at me please

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting not to hear a bit of colourful language, but guys screaming you + + every couple of minutes, no thanks.

Still cheesed off with the OP, as there was no way in hell I was shout + + every couple of minutes.....

Big Frank
06-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Delabooze and his like, :bye:

I can assure you I was giving the team support all night and shouted abuse once, when I shouted at Hughes to make a sub..... Try reading the full thread before having an aimless dig at me please

READ the post!

Theres nae dig.
FFS

No.4
06-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Are you deliberately ignoring the point the OP and others are making? It's not the swearing per se that is being condemned. What is witty about throwing a torrent of abuse at our own? It's not funny and when around kids it's not clever.
Of course people swear at games. Mindless abuse is a different thing. You can tell the difference can't you?

No I'm not missing the point. I read about the first 10 posts before sending my reply. Clearly I don't justify mindless abuse etc but calling someone an f'ing c hardly warrants the the horror of the OP and some of the other posters on here IMO.

Are you totally dismissing the fact that the person shouting has held their hands up on this thread and stated that the OP has maybe made it sound a bit worse than it was? Or that he calmed down when asked by the steward?

As has been pointed out all over this thread, there are family sections where kids and parents can sit and expect people to be mindful of their language so why didn't th OP book tickets for that area of the ground?

The reason for my disgust at this post is that I was at my first competitive match for 2 years last night after traveling around and I was mortified at the atmosphere. It felt like a pre season friendly. I don't think we sang one song for the whole game, not even before they scored. There is no passion in the stands and I think that breeds onto the pitch. The whole place felt lifeless and when the new stand opens and the stadium is half empty, I think it will be even worse.

So, as I said, if the option is to go watch hibs in a pc friendly enviroment where no one sings and no one swears mindlessly or to go back to the old days, I'd definitely choose the latter.

Here's a question for the OP, did you try and improve the atmosphere by singing songs to support and drive the team on? That would have drowned him out and maybe got your kid a bit more involved in a positive way?

FWIW I do feel sorry about the fact that the laddie didn't enjoy the game because of that, perhaps as someone else has said the Hibs Kids might be a better bet in future. Just please don't try and turn us into rugby supporters...:wink:

No.4
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I hope the OP can take his child to the match again, I hope Aldo takes his 6year old daughter, and I hope Delabooze and his like, can see the difference between support and abuse. Its misdirected passion. But a passion that the game desperately needs. When correctly chanelled.[/QUOTE]

A very well put post.:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
READ the post!

Theres nae dig.
FFS

Delabooze and his like, what are you inferring I am????

CB_NO3
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
I would like to say Delabooze and his like who go to every home and away game including Europe should be entitled to sware a bit at times. If your not happy, deal with it. Am sure your kid will hear alot worse when he is older and yes I agree the whole FF should be for families.

Jay
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Yet again can I just stick up a bit for Delabooze and say I dont think its fair to tar him with that sort of brush. He was loud, very very loud :greengrin but not abusive, At the volume he was bellowing if it had been foul and abusive language I am sure the stewards would have stepped in. If you read the thread it turns out he has sat behind us for years and I have never even been aware of him before last night.

marinello59
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Are you totally dismissing the fact that the person shouting has held their hands up on this thread and stated that the OP has maybe made it sound a bit worse than it was? Or that he calmed down when asked by the steward?

I was commenting on the behaviour of some of our fans in general. I have made no comment about specific inciidents .
As for the rest of your post, should I cancel my wee lads season ticket for the Lower West and restrict him to Hibs Kids games in order that your enjoyment of the game is enhanced then? Let me know which areas of the ground you feel he is allowed in and I will arrange our tickets accordingly.

Hiber-nation
06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I would like to say Delabooze and his like who go to every home and away game including Europe should be entitled to sware a bit at times. If your not happy, deal with it. Am sure your kid will hear alot worse when he is older and yes I agree the whole FF should be for families.

Correct CB. And hope the arm's better :wink:

Big Frank
06-08-2010, 08:09 PM

PASSIONATE.

But a ****in baldy moany faced git:greengrin

BEEJ
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM

:top marks Exactly.

Sad that so many appear unable to discern the difference.

CB_NO3
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Correct CB. And hope the arm's better :wink:
Funny as you should mention, my arm has made a quick recovery. :greengrin

jdships
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Serious question.
Does/Would "Delabooze" or any of you take your kids to a football match and be happy for them to be listening to F'ing and C'ing ?
Is this normal/acceptable behaviour in the 21st C or am I just an "old fart" and living in the past ?
Having said that the schoolchildren who pass my house all seem to know where/how to use any number of epithets - girls included. :rolleyes:

University of life perhaps ?
:wink::greengrin

scoopyboy
06-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Thief, rapist, arsonist, bigamist and all before you left school mate.

Must admit I am a bit of poacher turned gamekeeper on this one.

Never used to bother if I swore or not but since becoming a father I have tried to be more responsible.

Sat beside my mate and his two laddies last nite (10 and 7 approx) and told myself not to get into trouble through bad language. It never bothered me as a laddie but I can appreciate there are kids who do get upset by it.

Brockie, I have sat in your vicinity for years without issue and whilst you may (or may not) have erred last night don't take it to heart. There aren't too many who dedicate more time to Hibs and help fellow fans out, your efforts are appreciated by many.

Jay
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM

I like sitting in the west where I am and now have two kids with season tickets. I am well aware of what might go on around us but I dont want to be in the FF. You cant just punt us all into one stand and have the rest without kids nor can you refuse people without kids the seat of their choice.

People should be respectful of others around them whether its adults or kids whatever stand they are in. However its football and bad language comes along with that and parents shouldn't expect anything else. Abusive behaviour is a different thing altogether as had already been mentioned in this thread and that shouldn't be acceptable in any part of the ground.

marinello59
06-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Serious question.
Does/Would "Delabooze" or any of you take your kids to a football match and be happy for them to be listening to F'ing and C'ing ?
Is this normal/acceptable behaviour in the 21st C or am I just an "old fart" and living in the past ?
Having said that the schoolchildren who pass my house all seem to know where/how to use any number of epithets - girls included. :rolleyes:

That's an excellent question. I don't think it ever was acceptable but there seems to be an argument here that this is the way it has always been.:confused:

(Bit unfair to mention Delabooze though, two sides to every story and all that and he did say sorry.)

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 08:20 PM
PASSIONATE.

But a ****in baldy moany faced git:greengrin

Cant argue with either of those....

I misunderstood the previous post, apologies (christ I do some amount of apologising)

CB_NO3
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Serious question.

Well if you go back 10 years, I would say the swearing was alot worse, people have calmed down but emotions do run high at times. When I first started going to the games I used to hear alot of racist abusebecause people thought it was funny, that has been reduced massively over the last few years bar the odd idiot. Who knows what it will be like in 10 years time, maybe you wont be allowed to sware at all and we will be sitting in our comfy seats with big fluffy hands sipping XL coca colas singing "We Will Rock You" becuase thats the way footy is going.

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Serious question.

I took a ten year old girl to the 6-6 match last season (not on a date before anyone comments):wink:.... The language that is used in school is much the same I believe, so times have changed although not for the better

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Never used to bother if I swore or not but since becoming a father I have tried to be more responsible.

Sat beside my mate and his two laddies last nite (10 and 7 approx) and told myself not to get into trouble through bad language. It never bothered me as a laddie but I can appreciate there are kids who do get upset by it.

Brockie, I have sat in your vicinity for years without issue and whilst you may (or may not) have erred last night don't take it to heart. There aren't too many who dedicate more time to Hibs and help fellow fans out, your efforts are appreciated by many.

Thanks Jock, that means alot to me.....

No.4
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I was commenting on the behaviour of some of our fans in general. I have made no comment about specific inciidents .
As for the rest of your post, should I cancel my wee lads season ticket for the Lower West and restrict him to Hibs Kids games in order that your enjoyment of the game is enhanced then? Let me know which areas of the ground you feel he is allowed in andIi will arrange our tickets accordingly.

That's just it though, people on here who weren't even in the vacinity are on to say DB was out of order and you don't even know the specifics. I have tried to stick my posts to the OP's subject.

I've said it's a shame his kid was upset by it and suggested alternative areas of the ground to sit in.

I'm not going to tell you where to sit or what to do with your kids season ticket, however, if you're looking for a family atmosphere, I'd suggest, as I have several times above, the family stand or FF stand would be suitable for you.

What would you suggest for fans who want to shout and swear? Or are we not entitled to support the club because it fails to meet with your expectations of what is and is not acceptable behaviour at a football match?

And as per my question to the OP, did you try and sing or support the team possitively or just sit there saying nowt? At least you can take the moral high ground on here eh?

Maybe blobby was right after all, we should just go to the cinema instead. The hot dogs and coke are cheaper there for a start and at least and you occasionaly get a laugh...

Geo_1875
06-08-2010, 08:29 PM

That's Delabooze alright.:agree:

Boris
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM

I misunderstood the previous post, apologies (christ I do some amount of apologising)

There you go again ya baldy foghorn - no content with swearing at the game now you're blaspheming & taking the Lord's name in vain :grr:. Your sort will never learn:grr:

Jonnyboy
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM

I've known the 'baldy git' for a number of years and have never known him to be aggressive in the way suggested by the OP. Passionate, yes as far as Hibs go and not slow to make his feelings known to whichever manager/player is not up to his mark :greengrin

As an aside I have to say that this thread just confirms to me that the Hibs family does indeed have members to whom I'd rather not be related :wink: The racists (somebody shop them please) and those who seem to take great delight in showing their aggression. At the end of a match last season when I was leaving the West Upper a wee lassie of about ten years was roughly pushed aside by an adult male who looked to be in his thirties. As he pushed her he sceamed in her face 'get ootie the way ya wee phanny' which understandably enraged the kids Dad and a scuffle broke out. The kid was hysterical and some fans took her under their wing whilst her Dad and the thug traded a few punches. For all I know it continued outside.

Most of the time I am proud to be a Hibby but there's the odd occasion when fellow 'fans' disgust me with their animalistic behaviour (I'm not talking about Delabooze by the way)

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 08:33 PM
There you go again ya baldy foghorn - no content with swearing at the game now you're blaspheming & taking the Lord's name in vain :grr:. Your sort will never learn:grr:

lol just dont tell Frankie:wink:

marinello59
06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
That's just it though, people on here who weren't even in the vacinity are on to say DB was out of order and you don't even know the specifics. I have tried to stick my posts to the OP's subject.

I've said it's a shame his kid was upset by it and suggested alternative areas of the ground to sit in.

I'm not going to tell you where to sit or what to do with your kids season ticket, however, if you're looking for a family atmosphere, I'd suggest, as I have several times above, the family stand or FF stand would be suitable for you.

What would you suggest for fans who want to shout and swear? Or are we not entitled to support the club because it fails to meet with your expectations of what is and is not acceptable behaviour at a football match?

And as per my question to the OP, did you try and sing or support the team possitively or just sit there saying nowt? At least you can take the moral high ground on here eh?

Maybe blobby was right after all, we should just go to the cinema instead. The hot dogs and coke are cheaper there for a start and at least and you occasionaly get a laugh...

Have I told you where to sit? YOU have suggested where families can sit though.
Moral high ground? If suggesting aggresive behaviour in front of kids is wrong then guilty I guess. It saves me having to support the team. Maybe I should go to the cinema. I only go there every couple of years but I will make sure I set the rules for the rest of the audience.

No.4
06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Have I told you where to sit? YOU have suggested where families can sit though.
Moral high ground? If suggesting aggresive behaviour in front of kids is wrong then guilty I guess. It saves me having to support the team. Maybe I should go to the cinema. I only go there every couple of years but I will make sure I set the rules for the rest of the audience.

Actually, the club suggest where families can sit, it's called the family section. This is because they know that there will be swearing and often offensive behaviour that may not be suitable for kids. I am merely pointing that out and highlighting it as an area of the ground which is designated as suitable for families.

You have suggested that people should not attend ER if they have a different view to you on how to behave at a football ground so yes, I do think there is an air of moral high ground in your posts.

I'm not going to argue with you all night about it. I don't condone racist, mindless abuse for the sake of it. I don't think it's nice if a kid is put off coming back for this reason which is why I have suggested the above. I do think that grown men should be allowed to shout and swear at a football match if the feeling takes them. I also think that if more people like the OP and yourself sang songs in support of the team, the atmosphere might be better for children and show them how to support the team positively. I'm sure you'd soon drown the offending person out.

Big Frank
06-08-2010, 08:59 PM

No apologies needed:thumbsup:

My fault as (per usual) what I type is different to what I'm actually trying to get across! eg I'm trying to give a back handed compliment and end up upsetting people:greengrin

Kevvy1875
06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
This thread seems a bit OTT.

I have a 10 year old daughter who has attended ER on and off for the last 10 years and she has heard the lot. She used to look at me when she heard swearing as if to say 'whats going on dad'? And I brushed it off which instantly reassured her. So she isn't worried if she hears it. She is also disciplined enough to know she isn't allowed to use such language herself. By making a fuss of it yourself and letting yourself be bothered because someone swears will make your kids apprehensive.

Thats my take on it. Of course I wasn't there and I can't say how bad this incedent was. I am not saying I agree with excessive swearing either, just that there is a way to deal with it that I find works.

marinello59
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
You have suggested that people should not attend ER if they have a different view to you on how to behave at a football ground so yes, I do think there is an air of moral high ground in your posts.

Where?

lucky
06-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Swearing at football happens. I do it myself. In Fact I have to calm one of my down every week with antics. He totally loses the plot and his language is appalling. I actually apologised to a woman in front of us last night. She just laughed and my mate calmed down. We are moving to the East this season so hopefully he will not insult to many with his behaviour. The best of it he is nearly 50 and he getting worse.

MrSmith
06-08-2010, 09:21 PM

I have a 10 year old daughter who has attended ER on and off for the last 10 years and she has heard the lot. She used to look at me when she heard swearing as if to say 'whats going on dad'? And I brushed it off which instantly reassured her. So she isn't worried if she hears it. She is also disciplined enough to know she isn't allowed to use such language herself. By making a fuss of it yourself and letting yourself be bothered because someone swears will make your kids apprehensive.

Ditto!

Don't see the issue here. Different if it turns violent or as some have said turns to racism and pure hatred.

No.4
06-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Where?

You are a child. Why don't you answer one of my questions to you rather than constantly ignore the points I make before we go any further.

You haven't acknowledged one thing I've said about the club providing the family section for this reason, you tried to say that I'm telling people where to sit while you say/indicate that there is no place at ER for aggresive people. You haven't answered me if you sing and support the team positively - probably because we all know the answer. You haven't answered me with regards to what people who want to shout and swear should do if they want to go to the match.

More to the point, you stated previously that you weren't talking about a specific incident that had happened while trying to pick holes in my view over the OP.

:crazy:

No.4
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Ditto!

Don't see the issue here. Different if it turns violent or as some have said turns to racism and pure hatred.

Exactly.

sleeping giant
06-08-2010, 09:38 PM

That bold bit was exactly the same when my boy started going !
I don't mind the odd swear myself and i admit to blurting out the F word a few times myself at matches , in front of my own son and the boy sitting in front of me.
I always apologise to the father in front and my boy:greengrin

Some folk of Delaboozes ilk :hilarious take it too far though. I just pointed out to my son that those kind of people were knobs. Anyone using the C word or racism infront of kids is a knob imo.

Its the football ffs. Its character building and a great learning experience for the bairns.

Delabooze , if Hibernimum is sticking up for you , thats good enough for me:greengrin
Don't let the timid folk drive you away :greengrin

sleeping giant
06-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Thats my take on it. Of course I wasn't there and I can't say how bad this incedent was. I am not saying I agree with excessive swearing either, just that there is a way to deal with it that I find works.
Spot on :top marks

marinello59
06-08-2010, 09:52 PM
You are a child. Why don't you answer one of my questions to you rather than constantly ignore the points I make before we go any further.

You haven't acknowledged one thing I've said about the club providing the family section for this reason, you tried to say that I'm telling people where to sit while you say/indicate that there is no place at ER for aggresive people. You haven't answered me if you sing and support the team positively - probably because we all know the answer. You haven't answered me with regards to what people who want to shout and swear should do if they want to go to the match.

More to the point, you stated previously that you weren't talking about a specific incident that had happened while trying to pick holes in my view over the OP.

Personal abuse?
There is no designated family section as far as I know although the best deals for families seems to be in the Famous Five and the West Stand.
How I support the team is none of your business. But as you say, everybody knows the answer. I am ashamed and will endeavour to reach the standards you feel I should attain. What are they exactly..:greengrin
Specifics don't matter. Do you feel it is acceptable to act aggressively in front of children under any circumstances.?

marinello59
06-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Read my posts again. I have not said there should be zero tolerance regarding swearing. And shouting should be compulsory.

No.4
06-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Personal abuse?
There is no designated family section as far as I know although the best deals for families seems to be in the Famous Five and the West Stand.
How I support the team is none of your business. But as you say, everybody knows the answer. I am ashamed and will endeavour to reach the standards you feel I should attain. What are they exactly..:greengrin
Specifics don't matter. Do you feel it is acceptable to act aggressively in front of children under any circumstances.?

Yes, I think it's ok to act aggressively in front of kids at football as long as it isn't mindless or racist abuse that you're shouting. I grew up with it as did most of the people on these boards and it didn't do any (or at least many :wink:) of them any harm.

My standards of supporting the club would be for you to get of yer erse and sing a song to support the team and drown out people who do over step the mark rather than complain about it on here.

There is a couple of good posts above from parents about how they react and reassure their kids it's ok and it's just part of the game and thats certainly how I was brought up. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as it's not mindless pointless abuse for the sake of it.

And if how you support the club is none of my business, then how I, or anyone else support the club should equally be none of yours...:greengrin

TRC
06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Haven't read the whole post. But i was in the FF Stand last night and on the way home the guy i was with said that he thought i had upset some people around me, I did take the hump at the first goal and shouted F*****g ****** at that and tore my programme to shreds, but my point being i became quite upset at the thought that i had upset folk sometimes it's just to difficult to refrain from screaming what you really want to

whiskyhibby
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Having lived in Aberdeen for 21 years, every day it sounds like we are becoming more like Sheep fans in the post Ferguson era..............................

Completely unrealisitic expecations driving pretty unpleasant behaviour

:cool2:

marinello59
06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes, I think it's ok to act aggressively in front of kids at football as long as it isn't mindless or racist abuse that you're shouting. I grew up with it as did most of the people on these boards and it didn't do any (or at least many :wink:) of them any harm.

My standards of supporting the club would be for you to get of yer erse and sing a song to support the team and drown out people who do over step the mark rather than complain about it on here.

There is a couple of good posts above from parents about how they react and reassure their kids it's ok and it's just part of the game and thats certainly how I was brought up. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as it's not mindless pointless abuse for the sake of it.

And if how you support the club is none of my business, then how I, or anyone else support the club should equally be none of yours...:greengrin

Which is what I was condemning. So actually we agree?:confused:

Hainan Hibs
06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Haven't read the whole post. But i was in the FF Stand last night and on the way home the guy i was with said that he thought i had upset some people around me, I did take the hump at the first goal and shouted F*****g ****** at that and tore my programme to shreds, but my point being i became quite upset at the thought that i had upset folk sometimes it's just to difficult to refrain from screaming what you really want to

:faf:

Can't help but imagine the Incredible Hulk sitting in the FF Stand in total rage at Maribor scoring :greengrin:

No.4
06-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Which is what I was condemning. So actually we agree?:confused:

Your question was do I think it's ok to be aggressive in front of kids... I did say what you highlighted enough in my previous posts... despite to your misconceptions, I'm not a complete radge :cool2:

marinello59
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Your question was do I think it's ok to be aggressive in front of kids... I did say what you highlighted enough in my previous posts... despite to your misconceptions, I'm not a complete radge :cool2:

And I did say often enough that I wasn't calling for a quiet swear free zone. So perhaps we'll call this one a score draw. You can pick the next topic.:greengrin

No.4
06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
And I did say often enough that I wasn't calling for a quiet swear free zone. So perhaps we'll call this one a score draw. You can pick the next topic.:greengrin

Sounds like a good option!

Next topic... Should football hooligans be allowed to fight on the half way line as a form of half time entertainment for the masses to ensure that it is done in a safe, policed enviroment :confused:

marinello59
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a good option!

Next topic... Should football hooligans be allowed to fight on the half way line as a form of half time entertainment for the masses to ensure that it is done in a safe, policed enviroment :confused:

Controversial. Wouldn't money be better spent on new players rather than giving it to the police?
And it's good night from me.:greengrin

MJN1875
06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Aye, that'll help. Children and families can just GTF?

Surely you want as many fans as possible going to games?

Yeah, I want a sell out every week pal but I also think if you have paid the money to go to a game, you are well within your rights to have a moan about your team playing *. I want people of all ages to be at games so that we have a passionate support forever, but im sorry if I want to call Yogi a * because we have won 10 games since Christmas after paying money to see that *then I am well within my right to do so. Now, am I right or am I right?

Pete
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Having lived in Aberdeen for 21 years, every day it sounds like we are becoming more like Sheep fans in the post Ferguson era..............................

Completely unrealisitic expecations driving pretty unpleasant behaviour

:cool2:

That's a valid point.

Football is expensive nowadays and it's becoming more about "value for money". If fans feel they are getting short changed by the "product" on the pitch they aren't happy.

It's also modern life that is producing these "tourettes" fans. They probably work damn hard and need a release once a week or fortnight. The money is paid and once they get in the ground they can forget about the bills and all that and just go radge and vent their frustrations.

They need to go into the East which should be an adults only stand....no under twelves!

Shout, swear and do what you like without the need for toning it down. If there was a designated area for adults it would improve the atmosphere and create proper boundaries.

This whole "Families are welcome in every stand" philosophy doesn't work....the original post has proved this. It's not like the old days where if you didn't like what the kids were hearing you just moved somewhere else. Swearing or bad languge on the terraces couldn't be identified so easily as it is nowadays. It was just a voice a few yards away back then but nowadays the "culprit" sticks out like a sore thumb.
For thirty somethings to compare todays bad language to that of 20 years ago is wrong because it's different on so many levels.

There's room for families and room for Delabooze etc...but there needs to be segregation.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I hope tae ****, when the east stand opens we can swear and shout as much as we ****in well like.

RickyS
06-08-2010, 11:38 PM
my earliest memories of ER are attending the "cow shed" around 1986 with my dad, he was a shouter but never swore excessively, but I do remember he HATED Alan Sneddon. he would shout - Sneddon ya ****in one eyed bassa. even at a young age I loved all the shouting/swearing and could not wait for the next game.

I also think its funny how some people (no having a go) want all forms of swearing outlawed, and maybe i'm being biased but it tends to be the swearers, who are the singers and its those two things that create an atmosphere and make the place intimidating to opposition teams/fans. the very thing Yogi and the players wanted us to provide last night?

SunnyLeither
06-08-2010, 11:46 PM
(christ I do some amount of apologising)

You sinner you, that'll be 2 Hail Marys and 10 Our Fathers and I'll be there on Sunday to make sure you say them. :wink:

and if I catch you swearing on the bus, you'll be out on your f****** a*** ya baldy fat c*** :bitchy:

hibs4life
07-08-2010, 12:43 AM
It was my daughter that was reduced to tears at the back of the Lower West Stand at the game, mentioned earlier in the thread.
It wasn't about the language as such, but about the very real threat of violence breaking out. I've expained to her that there are folks who have no idea about the appropriateness of their language at games (same conversation I had with her about sitting on the top deck of LRT buses at times) and she gets that, can make her own judgements and accepts people at football can and will 'get shouty' (including her Dad!).
What happened at the game though, was that some folk couldn't take a critique of their comments (which were liberally interspersed with the 'C' and 'F' words) such as 'they (Hibs players) aren't trying' and 'they (Maribor) are just a bunch of amateurs' without reverting to threatening violence. Incidentally, the main perpetrator of the incessant criticism of Hibs players, left his seat at half time with the words 'I'm off to the boozer'.
Fair play to the chap who sits along from me, who was threatened with a 'doing' and initially responded with a counter threat but at least was able to later step back and admit the red mist had got the better of him and at half time apologised and shook hands with the person who threatened him in the first place, without apportioning blame.
The thing is, we can all get over-excited at games but let's not get confused with thinking that loutish behaviour can be accepted because that generates an atmosphere. I remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing up with the atmosphere and passion at the AEK game but don't remember a tirade of obscenities accompanying that.

Steve-O
07-08-2010, 02:21 AM
WTF is this pish all about?

Are kids all f***ing pansies or what these days?? A bit of swearing and shouting that's not even directed at them and they are away greeting and wanting to go home to their mammies? :confused:

I went to ER from when I was about 3 years old, and plenty of away games as a youngster, and I heard all of this stuff...seem to recall thinking it was more funny than anything else to be honest?

There should be family sections/stands and all the rest of it, but I fail to see why EVERYONE should have their behaviour dictated to by a few kids and their uptight parents?

greenlex
07-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Stevie I can shout and swear with the best of them. I do however feel if a child feels threatened by it I could control it. It makes me a human being instead of an animal football or not.

Steve-O
07-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Stevie I can shout and swear with the best of them. I do however feel if a child feels threatened by it I could control it. It makes me a human being instead of an animal football or not.

I'm not saying if I was surrounded by kids I'd be f-ing and blinding the whole time, but I don't expect to be told to stop because there happens to be a kid 5 rows down and 15 seats to my left etc...

I'm just not sure why a child should feel threatened by someone they don't know shouting at someone else...and that's speaking as someone who's been a child (:greengrin) and been that very position...

greenlex
07-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I remember being in The family stand at Somerset park years ago. Forgot where I was and got to my feet and gave the ref a right volley. Looked around to hundreds of scowls and sheepishly sat down embarrassed.

Steve-O
07-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I remember being in The family stand at Somerset park years ago. Forgot where I was and got to my feet and gave the ref a right volley. Looked around to hundreds of scowls and sheepishly sat down embarrassed.

Fair enough, but that's why I wouldn't go to the family stand. I wouldn't expect to get away with it there. What I don't appreciate though is families going elsewhere and trying to lay down the law with their "oh won't anyone think of the children!" attitude when there is a dedicated area of the ground specifically for people who don't want to expose their kids to the same vitriol as elsewhere.

People who are parents may disagree, but it's not ALL about the kids and I am sick of hearing about all sorts of things not being allowed because of the supposed 'needs' of kids who seem to be getting wrapped in ever larger pieces of cotton wool as the years roll by!

RANT OVER :grr::greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
WTF is this pish all about?

Are kids all f***ing pansies or what these days?? A bit of swearing and shouting that's not even directed at them and they are away greeting and wanting to go home to their mammies? :confused:

I went to ER from when I was about 3 years old, and plenty of away games as a youngster, and I heard all of this stuff...seem to recall thinking it was more funny than anything else to be honest?

There should be family sections/stands and all the rest of it, but I fail to see why EVERYONE should have their behaviour dictated to by a few kids and their uptight parents?

I think that family sections should be respected as such. I also think that some people's language in the non family sections is embarrassing. The odd swear word here and there is acceptable, but when you hear some of the Tourettes driven, hate filled rants that some of the supporters come out with, it's a different story.

Like it or not, society has changed, and what was normal 40 years ago is totally out of place today. I'd have more respect for those that do the shouting if they didn't look like overweight, maladjusted shters.

Beefster
07-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm not saying if I was surrounded by kids I'd be f-ing and blinding the whole time, but I don't expect to be told to stop because there happens to be a kid 5 rows down and 15 seats to my left etc...

I'm just not sure why a child should feel threatened by someone they don't know shouting at someone else...and that's speaking as someone who's been a child (:greengrin) and been that very position...

It's irrelevant whether a child feels scared/threatened because of a ton of swearing or unneeded aggression. Every kid is different. Surely the point remains, that if a child is scared/threatened by something an adult does, the adult should be able to modify their behaviour. We're talking about kids under the age of 9/10 here.

I'm capable of roaring at the game and using the odd unsavoury word but, as a 37 year old, I'd expect to sort myself out before expecting a kid to 'deal with it'.

marinello59
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
It's irrelevant whether a child feels scared/threatened because of a ton of swearing or unneeded aggression. Every kid is different. Surely the point remains, that if a child is scared/threatened by something an adult does, the adult should be able to modify their behaviour. We're talking about kids under the age of 9/10 here.

I'm capable of roaring at the game and using the odd unsavoury word but, as a 37 year old, I'd expect to sort myself out before expecting a kid to 'deal with it'.

:agree: I really can't get my head round any adult arguing against that.

Dan Sarf
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I think that family sections should be respected as such. I also think that some people's language in the non family sections is embarrassing. The odd swear word here and there is acceptable, but when you hear some of the Tourettes driven, hate filled rants that some of the supporters come out with, it's a different story.

Like it or not, society has changed, and what was normal 40 years ago is totally out of place today. I'd have more respect for those that do the shouting if they didn't look like overweight, maladjusted shters.

Sums it up for me. I was in the West Lower - a few of these red faced balloon men were sitting nearby (as was a small boy in his new Hibs top with De Graaf proudly displayed on the back). I watched them for a bit, these idiotic, supposed grown-ups, screaming fs and cs at the top of their lungs. It dawned on me what it was all about. Very little to do with football. They've got a captive audience and theyre showing off. They're just big kids themselves. Sad really.

Baldy Foghorn
07-08-2010, 10:46 AM

:agree::top marks

hibernator
07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
No one should have their enjoyment spoiled by inconsiderate behavior, remember when you buy a ticket you are actually agreeing to bide by certain conditions which include conducting yourself in an appropriate manner, the attitude that once a person has paid a fee they then have a right to express themselves with impunity is wrong, remember with a few exceptions everybody pays to watch a game, if the reaction to a reasonable request is to resort to aggression then perhaps the thing would be to consider whether that person is fit to attend an event that will challenge their temperament, any parent or guardian should feel they can sit anywhere with anyone without exception and feel comfortable and above all safe.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
This is getting silly now, fair enough there is a point where things can go too far, but, its not Wimbledon fortnight we are talking about here! Old school football was much more enjoyable than the sanitised, sky sponsored keek you find in stadiums now!

MJN1875
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I hope tae ****, when the east stand opens we can swear and shout as much as we ****in well like.

matty_f
07-08-2010, 02:09 PM

:agree: I really can't get my head round any adult arguing against that.

Agree with all these posts.

I like a shout at the football, I've used the "C" word more than a few times, I even used it on Thursday night, but folk need to know when they've overstepped the mark.

No.4
07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
No one should have their enjoyment spoiled by inconsiderate behavior, remember when you buy a ticket you are actually agreeing to bide by certain conditions which include conducting yourself in an appropriate manner, the attitude that once a person has paid a fee they then have a right to express themselves with impunity is wrong, remember with a few exceptions everybody pays to watch a game, if the reaction to a reasonable request is to resort to aggression then perhaps the thing would be to consider whether that person is fit to attend an event that will challenge their temperament, any parent or guardian should feel they can sit anywhere with anyone without exception and feel comfortable and above all safe.

Perhaps you should look at it as the parents duty to take their child to a designated area of the ground for people of that age.

This thread has gone PC mad...

No.4
07-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Agree with all these posts.

I like a shout at the football, I've used the "C" word more than a few times, I even used it on Thursday night, but folk need to know when they've overstepped the mark.

I don't think anyone on here doubts that fact.:rolleyes:

jdships
07-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Respect for those around you surely :agree:
Been following this thread with interest.
Another serious question.
If one watches "Road Wars" , or similar programmes, regularly you will hear the polis repeatedly asking/telling the person who has been stopped to "stop swearing - you are in a public place"

Is a football ground not a public place ? "Answers on a postcard please " :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I want a sell out every week pal but I also think if you have paid the money to go to a game, you are well within your rights to have a moan about your team playing *. I want people of all ages to be at games so that we have a passionate support forever, but im sorry if I want to call Yogi a * because we have won 10 games since Christmas after paying money to see that *then I am well within my right to do so. Now, am I right or am I right?

You're very, very wrong. The "I've paid my money I can shout what I like" is utter arrogance.

Its not to do with banning swearing - you can't. It's not to do with protecting kids.

It is solely to do with behaving like a normal human being. A football fan, rather than a football screamer-of-abuse-at-your-own-team. if you choose to show your support by yelling personal insults at another human being, then I suggest you've got issues that are more deep-seated than watching Hibs lose again.

joebakerforever
07-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm finding it difficult to recognise the claims on here that constant swearing was the norm in the good old days.

I started going to Easter Road as seven year old with my dad (who was a lorry driver) in the mid 1950s and never experienced non-stop cussing on the terracing from the home support.

Seems some on here appear to reckon the continuous use of obscenities boosts their macho image and if there are young kids nearby, then tough luck.

Some openly admit to calling Yogi a c*** and think that's acceptable.

I would ask them if they would address their mum or dad in the same terms, and if not, why do they think that such insults are ok to shout at others ?

By all means sing, rant and rave if you wish, but to continually spout out expletives, suggests that some need to attend adult literacy classes in order to expand their limited vocabulary.

lEXO
07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Any Hibs fan that has a go at another supporter for being asked to watch their language in front of a seven year old kid is an arse.This would be bad enough if it was in the East, but we are talking about the main stand FFS.Aye, football is a passionate game and emotions do run high.But if people think that it,s ok to keep cursing in front of primary school age kids because they "pay their money and can shout what they want",well have a look at yourselves.
I,m sorry but i dont buy into this argument that it spoils the atmosphere.Singing and chanting Hibs songs,cheering and aye shouting creates an atmosphere.Calling people f*****g c***s etc every couple of minutes does,nt.And the argument that kids are spoiling it for people who do this is an empty one imho.
I can curse at the games like most on here, but would certainly have a bit more self respect and respect for another Hibs supporter and their kid to tone it down.

lEXO
07-08-2010, 02:50 PM
You're very, very wrong. The "I've paid my money I can shout what I like" is utter arrogance.

Its not to do with banning swearing - you can't. It's not to do with protecting kids.

It is solely to do with behaving like a normal human being. A football fan, rather than a football screamer-of-abuse-at-your-own-team. if you choose to show your support by yelling personal insults at another human being, then I suggest you've got issues that are more deep-seated than watching Hibs lose again.

matty_f
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't think anyone on here doubts that fact.:rolleyes:

Not the impression I'm getting from having read the whole thread, also, it would appear that people have very different ideas of where the mark is. :rolleyes:

Spot on. Going into a football stadium shouldn't be the queue to suddenly regress to the level of someone with no social awareness whatsoever.

Jack
07-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Just to turn this round a wee bit.

Can I ask how the adults who think it’s OK, maybe even necessary to swear [aggressively] at football matches, how would you feel if a 10 year old beside where you were sitting started f’in and c’n at the top of their wee voices? :grr:

Would that be OK?

Is that what you want? Cause that’s what you'll get!

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Can I ask how the adults who think it’s OK, maybe even necessary to swear [aggressively] at football matches, how would you feel if a 10 year old beside where you were sitting started f’in and c’n at the top of their wee voices? :grr:

Would that be OK?

I know i shouldn't laugh, but all i can think of is Harry Enfield now. :faf:

matty_f
07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I know i shouldn't laugh, but all i can think of is Harry Enfield now. :faf:

Only meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!:thumbsup:

JohnScott
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM

How the hell do you manage to switch on a pc, never mind use it? :bitchy:

hibernator
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Spot on. Going into a football stadium shouldn't be the queue to suddenly regress to the level of someone with no social awareness whatsoever.

matty_fairnie

Bang on, nothing to do with censorship, p.c, do gooders or whatever demeaning spin some would seem to be prepared to peddle, it is simple R.E.S.P.E.C.T for your fellow supporter, we are all there for the same reasons after all.:cool2:

DH1875
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
OK will get slaughtered here but if I am being 100% honest I'm not really into the whole family club, stadium thing. By all means the club should look into the future and try and get the next generation in but they should not forget us, the working class neanderthal man. You can try and stop the swearing and the shouting but it will never happen. Look at the smoking ban, never worked. At half time on Thursday the toilets in the South looked as if there was a smoke machine going off.
As a teenager going to ER in the early nineties a kids ST for the east was the most expensive. In fact it was double the price than an ST for the north which had seating and better toilets etc.... I think the club should look into maybe doing something along these lines again. Let the families and kids use the West, South and F/F. If they want to be in the east fine but they should be warned before hand that the language in there will be colour full.
The kids and families should have a place to go but hey so should I.

Hainan Hibs
07-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Would that be OK?

I'd find it ****ing hilarious to be ****ing honest, I ****ing started going to games when I was ****ing 4 and the ****ing swearing had no ****ing effect on me what so ****ing ever

Jonnyboy
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM

I ******** hope so cos I've moved to that stand to sing and shout the odd swear word :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-08-2010, 08:27 PM
There has been 101 opinions on this thread, here's my tuppence worth.

I ocassionally take my 2 daughters, aged 9 and 6 to Hibs games, they are both Hibs kids and generally only go to those games, though my oldest went to a Celtic game last season. When she was 6 my oldest came back from her first game and her mum asked her how it went. Apart from the fact we lost 1-0 and she said the game was boring, she commented on how a lot of people shouted and 'said bad words'. My wife, who has little interest or knowledge in football just replied 'that's what happens at football'.

People who go to football lost their temper, they shout and swear, I'd defy anybody on here to say they haven't done that at some point, probably oblivious to whether there were kids in ear shot or not. I would not chastice anybody who swore just cause I had my kids at the game, I wouldn't expect them to change their attitude.

Cannot really comment on the OP's comments cause unless you were actually there and witnessed it you cannot give a balanced reflection on what actually happened.

Twa Cairpets
07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
There has been 101 opinions on this thread, here's my tuppence worth.

I ocassionally take my 2 daughters, aged 9 and 6 to Hibs games, they are both Hibs kids and generally only go to those games, though my oldest went to a Celtic game last season. When she was 6 my oldest came back from her first game and her mum asked her how it went. Apart from the fact we lost 1-0 and she said the game was boring, she commented on how a lot of people shouted and 'said bad words'. My wife, who has little interest or knowledge in football just replied 'that's what happens at football'.

People who go to football lost their temper, they shout and swear, I'd defy anybody on here to say they haven't done that at some point, probably oblivious to whether there were kids in ear shot or not. I would not chastice anybody who swore just cause I had my kids at the game, I wouldn't expect them to change their attitude.

Cannot really comment on the OP's comments cause unless you were actually there and witnessed it you cannot give a balanced reflection on what actually happened.

I dont think anyone is denying that football is, and should be, passionate. It should be about shouting, singing, being part of it. I dont think anyone on this thread has seriously suggested otherwise, and the there has been a false polarisation created between on the one hand a group who want to spend 90 minutes bawling obscenities and another who would prefer to sit in a library.

Neither of these groups really exist in such a black and white manner. I think the exposure to a passionate crowd - complete with the odd sweary - is exciting for kids and is, rightly or wrongly, part of the fun of it for them.

What I do object to is the moronic stuff. I defy anyone to find some clown bawling "Nish/Rankin/Smith/whoever your a f****** useless c***" for 90 minutes entertaining or fun.

stuart
07-08-2010, 09:21 PM
there will be sweareing in the ground if people take offence then they should just stay away after all football is the place to get your frustration out after a hard weeks graft

GGTTH

Turnip
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Stay oot the East if ye dinnae like swearin, go there if ye dae, its no ****in rocket science gadgies. Me personally, i have taken my kids to the East and will continue to do so, from a young age they have been aware of the (sweary men) myself included. I would point out however that my children are not allowed to swear, nor do i swear at home in front of them, the fitba tho, is a different matter entirely and my children understand this, supporting Hibs would turn a nun's tongue blue ffs. To those poor wee souls that cannae take the banter, i ask you one question, what the **** are you doin there in the first place, its a workin mans playground and always has been, take yoursels and yer ****in nonsense away tae the ballet or some **** like that, this is Leith, this is Hibernian, and we dont need yer pish. Theres a family section in the FF, **** right off the lot o ye's, bams:bye:

7Hero
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
For the record I was trying to get the rest of the fans involved, but many must have thought they were in a library....

i moved out of the famous five from last season as the guy in front of me was a complete moron who liked to swear far too excessivelly..

the famous five is supposed to be the family stand ????

normally im not bothered, but my son is only 5 and wants to go more often these days.

face it, you go the football no matter where you sit you will get swear words.

Im gonna wait till he is older to be honest.

anyway what gets me is the reply above, how anybody thinks they have the right to try and get other fans involved is beyond me...Never forget being at hampdump and after 5 minutes some guy infront of me turns round and shouts "come on you c****s, f*******n support yer team ya bunch of f*******n w********s". Complete twats !! you go to support the team as YOU choose, not how somebody else thinks you should...

RoYO!
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Don't mind swearing, but obv not in the family section.

What I really can't be a**** with are the guys who go on & on & on blowing a gasket, slagging players off, or generally shouting things like wiiiide! Does f all for the atmosphere and just p's everyone off. IMO :wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I ******** hope so cos I've moved to that stand to sing and shout the odd swear word :greengrin

I'm glad someone agree's although i was not being that serious. :greengrin

Steve-O
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
How the hell do you manage to switch on a pc, never mind use it? :bitchy:

Eh? Who rattled your cage?

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Right, im sick of hearing this language at games debate. I can say what want if I pay my money to see Hibs. Agree? :confused:

Steve-O
08-08-2010, 03:27 AM
:agree:

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/swearing-kid.jpg

1875godsgift
08-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Right, im sick of hearing this language at games debate. I can say what want if I pay my money to see Hibs. Agree? :confused:
Disagree.
If all that can issue from someone's mouth is a diatribe of abuse directed at Hibs players during a game then whoever's dishing it out can get tae fandangoland.
People swear, granted, it's no the end o the world, but i've been going to Hibs matches for nearly 40 years but its only in the last 10 or so years i've heard disgusting, vitriolic abuse hurled at our own players and staff.
Having moved to Wales 12 years ago i see very few games now, but I mind bringing one of my Welsh pals up to a cup game v hertz, Fletcher got sent off early and we were in the east, but for the whole 90 minutes there was one buchan nutter right beside us giving every single Hibs player who touched the ball dogs abuse. For 90 minutes non stop. Now my Welsh mate, who's Hibs now not celtc, he's going, if he hates the team that much, why doesn't he buck off n support someone else?
And personally, I agree. I go to a game to support, if you can't be bothered supporting the team then **** off with yir negtavity and boo Tiger Woods, or the england team, or anybody, but if you come to Easter Road you come to SUPPORT.

Here endeth the lesson.

GhostofBolivar
08-08-2010, 04:58 AM
And the kids who hear what you say?

I have no problem with people talking like that in the pub where everyone's over 18, but I think it's common decency to control what you say in an environment where parents take their children.

Steve-O
08-08-2010, 06:18 AM
And the kids who hear what you say?

I have no problem with people talking like that in the pub where everyone's over 18, but I think it's common decency to control what you say in an environment where parents take their children.

So now under 18s shouldn't hear swearing? :faf:

I heard more swearing in the primary school playground (when I was at school...I don't hang around them these days :greengrin) than I do at a football match.

People are making something of nothing here IMO.

And before I get a tirade, or another 'surprised you can use a PC' style comment :rolleyes: , I've never said that I think you should be allowed to shout and swear all you want in the FAMILY section...that area of the stadium where parents can take their children if they don't want their ears polluted with words they'll hear on TV, at school, in music...etc.

s.a.m
08-08-2010, 06:20 AM

Not picking on you personally, but you're closest, so you'll have to do :greengrin, but I don't get this inalienable right of the football fan to engage in verbal thuggery because they have paid for a ticket. If they let you in free would you not do it? Do you do this anywhere else you have paid for something? And to be clear, I don't think anyone is objecting to people spontaneously venting their frustration, and swearing in the heat of the moment: it's the purple-faced, neck-vein-buging, stream of consciousness screamers (sweary or not) who people seem to be objecting to.

Steve-O
08-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Until kids start paying the same as adults they shouldn't get any say in what goes on. :duck:

Andy74
08-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I think it should be remembered that what we are talking about was a bit out of the ordinary. It was constant ott f'ing and c'ing that as I've said before even shocked and embarrassed my old man who has been watching football since the 40's. Not something we should be proud of having achieved or something we should defend.

Twa Cairpets
08-08-2010, 09:28 AM
there will be sweareing in the ground if people take offence then they should just stay away after all football is the place to get your frustration out after a hard weeks graft

GGTTH

Ah, so if someone else wants to look forward to a game after a hard week, they can only do so on the basis that they understand they have to listen to you spouting drivelling p!sh for the whole time? Seriously, if you're viewing Hibs as some kind of tourettes based primal-screaming therapy, I'm not wanting to witness your psychological treatment.

]Stay oot the East if ye dinnae like swearin, go there if ye dae, its no ****in rocket science gadgies. Me personally, i have taken my kids to the East and will continue to do so, from a young age they have been aware of the (sweary men) myself included. I would point out however that my children are not allowed to swear, nor do i swear at home in front of them, the fitba tho, is a different matter entirely and my children understand this, supporting Hibs would turn a nun's tongue blue ffs. To those poor wee souls that cannae take the banter, i ask you one question, what the **** are you doin there in the first place, its a workin mans playground and always has been, take yoursels and yer ****in nonsense away tae the ballet or some **** like that, this is Leith, this is Hibernian, and we dont need yer pish. Theres a family section in the FF, **** right off the lot o ye's, bams

"Working mans playground"? What a load of unadulterated keech. I think the fifties are looking for you.

This is the kind of pathetic inverted snobbery I loathe. If you actually took the time to read the posts, rather than pre-judge with this kind of arrant garbage you might actually realise people want atmosphere, want shouting, want singing. They just don't want the dull and never-ending stream of humourless abuse.

Oh, by the way, well done on the positive parenting. I'm sure that you arent giving mixed messages or double standards out at all on the language front.

Right, im sick of hearing this language at games debate. I can say what want if I pay my money to see Hibs. Agree?

No. You're not. I'm guessing you understand that it would not be acceptable be racist? Well, you may may want to consider the fact that people may not want to hear you calling someone a c*** non-stop for 90 minutes.

(Also, taking this argument further, it was only £5 to get in on Thursday. does this mean you are allowed to swear 1/4 of the amount you would at a league game?).

sKipper
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
When threads like this appear, you realise that long term football is f*****. :boo hoo:

Jack
08-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Me neither. Other folk pay their money too, collectively a hell of a lot more than you, to hopefully watch a decent game of football and cheer on the team in an environment that they can relax and feel safe in. Not to listen to some windbag abusing all and sundry and threatening violence to anyone who dares have alternative views to them.

RoYO!
08-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Ah, so if someone else wants to look forward to a game after a hard week, they can only do so on the basis that they understand they have to listen to you spouting drivelling p!sh for the whole time? Seriously, if you're viewing Hibs as some kind of tourettes based primal-screaming therapy, I'm not wanting to witness your psychological treatment.

"Working mans playground"? What a load of unadulterated keech. I think the fifties are looking for you.

This is the kind of pathetic inverted snobbery I loathe. If you actually took the time to read the posts, rather than pre-judge with this kind of arrant garbage you might actually realise people want atmosphere, want shouting, want singing. They just don't want the dull and never-ending stream of humourless abuse.

Oh, by the way, well done on the positive parenting. I'm sure that you arent giving mixed messages or double standards out at all on the language front.

No. You're not. I'm guessing you understand that it would not be acceptable be racist? Well, you may may want to consider the fact that people may not want to hear you calling someone a c*** non-stop for 90 minutes.

(Also, taking this argument further, it was only £5 to get in on Thursday. does this mean you are allowed to swear 1/4 of the amount you would at a league game?).

Ah haha! Well said :agree::thumbsup:

couldn't have put it better myself :top marks

DEKE
08-08-2010, 11:24 AM
swearing doesn't usually bother me but the other night a lad couple of rows behind came out with "for f*** sake ref why don't you f*** off back to f***ing Romania you f***ing ******" Though this a bit OTT as there were quite a few kids around. For me it's the C word that I have a problem with.

RoYO!
08-08-2010, 11:37 AM
swearing doesn't usually bother me but the other night a lad couple of rows behind came out with "for f*** sake ref why don't you f*** off back to f***ing Romania you f***ing ******" Though this a bit OTT as there were quite a few kids around. For me it's the C word that I have a problem with.

Thought the ref did alright :cool2:

Jay
08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Until kids start paying the same as adults they shouldn't get any say in what goes on. :duck:

Both my kids paid more for their ST's than I did so they get their fair share of say then :greengrin

Unfortunately my little darlings quite like most of the foul mouthed banter - not the aggressive stuff that people moan about but the 'dig a hole and bury the barsteward' stuff has them rolling about.

Houchy
08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
i moved out of the famous five from last season as the guy in front of me was a complete moron who liked to swear far too excessivelly..

the famous five is supposed to be the family stand ????

normally im not bothered, but my son is only 5 and wants to go more often these days.

face it, you go the football no matter where you sit you will get swear words.

Im gonna wait till he is older to be honest.

anyway what gets me is the reply above, how anybody thinks they have the right to try and get other fans involved is beyond me...Never forget being at hampdump and after 5 minutes some guy infront of me turns round and shouts "come on you c****s, f*******n support yer team ya bunch of f*******n w********s". Complete twats !! you go to support the team as YOU choose, not how somebody else thinks you should...

Was this the Semi against United??? If so that was me and again, there appears to be a bit of paraphrasing going on.:agree: If this was the particular incident you refer to, I did turn round and shout "lets get behind them!!!" and I just got a good few quizical looks like I had 2 heads or something:confused:, decided it wasn't worth it and sat down shaking my head in disbelief.

If it was me, I aint going to apologise for it as it was the semi final of the Scottish cup and, again, it was like someone had just died.:bitchy:

sahib
08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Was this the Semi against United??? If so that was me and again, there appears to be a bit of paraphrasing going on.:agree: If this was the particular incident you refer to, I did turn round and shout "lets get behind them!!!" and I just got a good few quizical looks like I had 2 heads or something:confused:, decided it wasn't worth it and sat down shaking my head in disbelief.

If it was me, I aint going to apologise for it as it was the semi final of the Scottish cup and, again, it was like someone had just died.:bitchy:

Ah! so you were that chap. I remember you standing up and screeching some banality in a horrible castrati voice. Then turning to the now s******ing crowd and shouting, "lets get behind them!!!" In a manner that came across as a sort of mincing parody of Delia Smith. I am astonished you can bring yourself to admit to this.:wink:

Houchy
08-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Ah! so you were that chap. I remember you standing up and screeching some banality in a horrible castrati voice. Then turning to the now s******ing crowd and shouting, "lets get behind them!!!" In a manner that came across as a sort of mincing parody of Delia Smith. I am astonished you can bring yourself to admit to this.:wink:

I don't give a flying one what you or anyone thinks to be honest.:bye: The Semi final of the Scottish cup with a possible final against a relatively small team (can't remember who now) but another chance at the Holy Grail passed up again with no-one seemingly all that bothered:confused:

Perhaps if others weren't so worried about what people might think if they shout something, we might get some atmosphere at ER like the old days.

Obviously you're a bit of a keyboard hardman too, saving your voice until for a message board rather than say anything in the heat of moment.

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=1875godsgift;2538591]Disagree.
If all that can issue from someone's mouth is a diatribe of abuse directed at Hibs players during a game then whoever's dishing it out can get tae fandangoland.
People swear, granted, it's no the end o the world, but i've been going to Hibs matches for nearly 40 years but its only in the last 10 or so years i've heard disgusting, vitriolic abuse hurled at our own players and staff.
Having moved to Wales 12 years ago i see very few games now, but I mind bringing one of my Welsh pals up to a cup game v hertz, Fletcher got sent off early and we were in the east, but for the whole 90 minutes there was one buchan nutter right beside us giving every single Hibs player who touched the ball dogs abuse. For 90 minutes non stop. Now my Welsh mate, who's Hibs now not celtc, he's going, if he hates the team that much, why doesn't he buck off n support someone else?

But your not getting it! I also dont agree with insulting our own team for 90 mins but if someones not pulling their weight then you have to get on their case about it sometimes. As I said if I pay money to see my team against eg Hearts and we get beat the way we did off them last season then I can swear all I want. Hearts at Hampden I actually walked out of at 2 0 because rightly I was going mad and none of the fans were even interested. Well, the ones that bothered to turn up. Theres not enough singing at ER and I feel our fans need to look at other teams to realise how bad our support has got. I mean West Ham, shower of insignificant s**t but unbelieveable support, constant singing. Why can we be like that? We are a much bigger team than them in Scotland than they are in England.
And personally, I agree. I go to a game to support, if you can't be bothered supporting the team then **** off with yir negtavity and boo Tiger Woods, or the england team, or anybody, but if you come to Easter Road you come to SUPPORT.

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Not picking on you personally, but you're closest, so you'll have to do :greengrin, but I don't get this inalienable right of the football fan to engage in verbal thuggery because they have paid for a ticket. If they let you in free would you not do it? Do you do this anywhere else you have paid for something? And to be clear, I don't think anyone is objecting to people spontaneously venting their frustration, and swearing in the heat of the moment: it's the purple-faced, neck-vein-buging, stream of consciousness screamers (sweary or not) who people seem to be objecting to.

God mate, you ask anyone who used to go to football before about 1990 how good games used to be. Football atmosphere at ER needs to go back to that. If you dont like bad language then start watching chuffing rugby! No I wouldnt pay for a ticket for the circus and when it turned out to be crap start swearing my head off but the football is somewhere everyone has always done this. Stop killing the game!

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 02:48 PM

(Also, taking this argument further, it was only £5 to get in on Thursday. does this mean you are allowed to swear 1/4 of the amount you would at a league game?).[/QUOTE]

Well considering im half Jamaican yeah, I do understand it would be unacceptable to be racist :wink:

marinello59
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
God mate, you ask anyone who used to go to football before about 1990 how good games used to be. Football atmosphere at ER needs to go back to that. If you dont like bad language then start watching chuffing rugby! No I wouldnt pay for a ticket for the circus and when it turned out to be crap start swearing my head off but the football is somewhere everyone has always done this. Stop killing the game!

But you are only 26? You were swearing your head off in the eighties?

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
But you are only 26? You were swearing your head off in the eighties?

No, but people at the games were.

marinello59
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
No, but people at the games were.

Ah. Apologies. I thought you were giving us the benefit of your own match day experiences when actually you were just imagining what it was like then.

hibernator
08-08-2010, 05:48 PM

The difference is back then if you were standing next to a blowbag you could walk away, now of the person next to you or in hearing distance is a moronic asshole you are stuck with the halfwit , if you are a season ticket holder you can try to change your seat, but should you have to ?, before you reply consider we are talking about over aggressive types and serious abusers, to insinuate that people are objecting to a bit of bad language is ridiculous, Hector Nicol, Billy Connolly, two very popular acts are hilarious but they can be crude, there are occasions when a supporter will come out with a good crack that everyone has a laugh at and there's a wee sweary in there, but incessant vitriolic uncomfortable behaviour which becomes aggressive when challenged is unacceptable, :rules:look at item 17 on the conditions of of use, it is at the back of our season tickets, you buy a ticket with rules that there to protect EVERY BODIES ENJOYMENT and you will maybe realise a bit of bad language is tolerated not allowed, this tolerance should not be unappreciated.:cool2:

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Ah. Apologies. I thought you were giving us the benefit of your own match day experiences when actually you were just imagining what it was like then.

People did attend games before 1990 you know, so I do know what it was like. Video cameras and match reports were also invented by 1990 if im not mistaken so actually everyone knows what the atmosphere used to be like at games. Sorry pal, I just dont like Rugby atmosphere so if thats what people are into can they not just go there instead of ER?

MJN1875
08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
The difference is back then if you were standing next to a blowbag you could walk away, now of the person next to you or in hearing distance is a moronic asshole you are stuck with the halfwit , if you are a season ticket holder you can try to change your seat, but should you have to ?, before you reply consider we are talking about over aggressive types and serious abusers, to insinuate that people are objecting to a bit of bad language is ridiculous, Hector Nicol, Billy Connolly, two very popular acts are hilarious but they can be crude, there are occasions when a supporter will come out with a good crack that everyone has a laugh at and there's a wee sweary in there, but incessant vitriolic uncomfortable behaviour which becomes aggressive when challenged is unacceptable, :rules:look at item 17 on the conditions of of use, it is at the back of our season tickets, you buy a ticket with rules that there to protect EVERY BODIES ENJOYMENT and you will maybe realise a bit of bad language is tolerated not allowed, this tolerance should not be unappreciated.:cool2:

Tbh, as long as its not racist I couldnt care less what someone sitting next to shouts, numpty or no numpty. Fact is you shouldnt be able to notice anyway as the noise in the stadium should be enough to block it out but unfortunately thats doesnt appear to be the case these days.

marinello59
08-08-2010, 06:23 PM
People did attend games before 1990 you know, so I do know what it was like. Video cameras and match reports were also invented by 1990 if im not mistaken so actually everyone knows what the atmosphere used to be like at games. Sorry pal, I just dont like Rugby atmosphere so if thats what people are into can they not just go there instead of ER?

Neither do I.:cool2:
Yet again, who is calling for zero tolerance to swearing? We all do it to some extent at the football. It's the selfish moronic minority that people are condemning. They have nothing to do with creating a good atmosphere do they?

Twa Cairpets
08-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Yes. I was one of them, unlike you.

This mythical land of non-stop singing and boisterous and never ending expletive filled fanaticism never existed. It was hard in the late seventies and early eighties with crowds of 4 or 5000 for regular games to get much of a kind of Glee Club with added tourettes.

In the derbies and old firm games, yes, the atmosphere was better, but that was due to terracing, pure and simple. It had nothing to do with what you think - that a kind of "Primal Mans Club" was in existence. It didn't.

And all this "go to the rugby" crap. Get over yourself sunshine.

Tbh, as long as its not racist I couldnt care less what someone sitting next to shouts, numpty or no numpty. Fact is you shouldnt be able to notice anyway as the noise in the stadium should be enough to block it out but unfortunately thats doesnt appear to be the case these days.

So you believe there is a line over which it is unacceptable to go. To call someone a "useless f****** c***" is ok, but if they were to call them "a useless f****** black c***" that immediately becomes offensive to you. It clearly would be offensive to almost anyone, but the fact that you refuse to accept that your line of acceptability may be different to someone elses is arrogant in the extreme.

Baw187
08-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I have to say that I have sat 2 rows behind Delabooze for years (only just twigged it was him from this thread) and he has never been one to be excessivly abusive or over the top with his swearing. I've observed he's a passionate Hibby and him and his mate to his left give our section a bit of atmosphere.

If I was to sum him up, I'd say he's fair in his shouts ! Happy to challenge a fan that makes a loud shout against a player but also makes himself heard when a player (or manager) is clearly keek !

I didn't see or hear anything in the lead up to this event the other night but did see the guy leaving with his son. Given I hadn't heard anything (and you do tend to hear DB) I asumed the guy was overreacting. Obviously can't really comment but would like to defend his general character as he seems a decent lad and, if he was over the top and offensive, I can't say that's what he's like in general at games.

hibernator
08-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Ahh but DeGraff, that would be because it would personally offend you, luckily we do not have too many halfwits and the vast majority would be offended no matter what race they are, possibly supporting a club at which many supporters have been brought up as Catholic for instance heightens so many fans dislike of any type of victimisation, surely you realise atmosphere can be generated without outright hostility, one of the best atmospheres in recent years was a Scotland game against Canada, almost as good as AEK, and no animosity whatever :wink:

Jonnyboy
08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes. I was one of them, unlike you.

This mythical land of non-stop singing and boisterous and never ending expletive filled fanaticism never existed. It was hard in the late seventies and early eighties with crowds of 4 or 5000 for regular games to get much of a kind of Glee Club with added tourettes.

In the derbies and old firm games, yes, the atmosphere was better, but that was due to terracing, pure and simple. It had nothing to do with what you think - that a kind of "Primal Mans Club" was in existence. It didn't.

And all this "go to the rugby" crap. Get over yourself sunshine.

So you believe there is a line over which it is unacceptable to go. To call someone a "useless f****** c***" is ok, but if they were to call them "a useless f****** black c***" that immediately becomes offensive to you. It clearly would be offensive to almost anyone, but the fact that you refuse to accept that your line of acceptability may be different to someone elses is arrogant in the extreme.