PDA

View Full Version : I'm one of the 5%

bingo70
05-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Got to admit that in most things life there's not an arrogant bone in my body, however after tonight i'm happy to admit that if the crowd and the people on here are a reflection on the people that watch hibs i know far more than most about football.

That team tonight were a far better team than us, nothing to do with formations, team selections, colin nish or john hughes, i actually really enjoyed watching them in spells, they're number 9 was a class act, not sure how old he is but if he's young then i can see him going to a really big club pretty soon.

Overall, not the result we were looking for but absolutely terrific preperation for the season ahead and hopefully european appearances won't be so rare in the future

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2010, 10:54 PM
:top marks :agree:

houston1875
05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Got to admit that in most things life there's not an arrogant bone in my body, however after tonight i'm happy to admit that if the crowd and the people on here are a reflection on the people that watch hibs i know far more than most about football.

That team tonight were a far better team than us, nothing to do with formations, team selections, colin nish or john hughes, i actually really enjoyed watching them in spells, they're number 9 was a class act, not sure how old he is but if he's young then i can see him going to a really big club pretty soon.

Overall, not the result we were looking for but absolutely terrific preperation for the season ahead and hopefully european appearances won't be so rare in the future

:top marks

no 8 and no 9 i thought where exceptional,all there players were comfortable with the ball,saw some tidy bits of skills the night..

we dinae see that kind of stuff up in scotland,why?

Sioux
05-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Can't believe someone has posted an opinion based on some semblance of reality . It won't catch on.:grr:

That team would be changelling for 3rd in SLP all the time.

madabouthibs
05-08-2010, 11:03 PM
i think its known as teamwork. No player is bigger or better than any other. Technical ability and fitness also plays a part. But for me, the most heart-warming thing for a player must be looking up, and seeing you have options and outballs. Their one touch stuff and triangle play out of defence and midfield was superb tonight. They understood each other, and trusted each other. We lack this severely.

bingo70
05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
:top marks

no 8 and no 9 i thought where exceptional,all there players were comfortable with the ball,saw some tidy bits of skills the night..

we dinae see that kind of stuff up in scotland,why?

Thats what i was saying tonight, IMO the big difference between us and them was theyre movement off the ball but thats not a hibs issue it's a whole scottish football problem, we're living in a different world if we think we can turn up to games play a 442, play at a high tempo and lump high balls up front all night long, against good teams it simply just won't work!

What the answer is i just don't know, i'd like to see the season start earlier to give us a better chance but IMO regardless of what time of the year we played them they'd have given any scottish team a hiding, rangers and celtic included in that bye the way.

bingo70
05-08-2010, 11:08 PM
i think its known as teamwork. No player is bigger or better than any other. Technical ability and fitness also plays a part. But for me, the most heart-warming thing for a player must be looking up, and seeing you have options and outballs. Their one touch stuff and triangle play out of defence and midfield was superb tonight. They understood each other, and trusted each other. We lack this severely.

:agree:

completely agree, i'd love Yogi to draw a line in the sand, not get annoyed at the players but just show them a video of how teams should play together, if the players learn anything from them tonight it could be a terrific education for them.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
They a

int a class act. They are better than Hibs far better organised maybe no manager would have helped Hibs beat them

BUT

I bet even old PA Broon could have cut the deficet from 6 - 2 Yogi aint a class act :boo hoo:
Maybe I am in the 95%

Barney McGrew
05-08-2010, 11:22 PM
That team would be changelling for 3rd in SLP all the time.

If Maribor were playing in the SPL, they'd walk the championship.

They're head and shoulders above anything in this country.

bingo70
05-08-2010, 11:27 PM
They a

int a class act. They are better than Hibs far better organised maybe no manager would have helped Hibs beat them

BUT

I bet even old PA Broon could have cut the deficet from 6 - 2 Yogi aint a class act :boo hoo:
Maybe I am in the 95%

Pa broon might have got us beat 1 nil over both legs but we'd still have got beat and i'd rather we opened up at one point trying to go for it.

we were undone by a better team, poor defending and some clinical finishing, i can live with that, it's getting beat off the ***** like st mirren, kilmarnock and hearts that really winds me up but they were miles better than what we'll come up against this season so i think we'll do alright

YetholmHibee
05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
They were a good team!

I totally enjoyed them take the piss out of the Hibs players each & every time they had a throw-in at the West stand side.

Men against boys!

Everytime the Hibs players were suckered in & they made the killer pass out to start an attack.

It was unbelieveable to witness.

From this part of the game tonight, I can honestly say the Hibs players are not good enough & lack intelligence if they can get out foxed each & everytime at a throw-in.

I wish them luck.

Sammy7nil
05-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Pa broon might have got us beat 1 nil over both legs but we'd still have got beat and i'd rather we opened up at one point trying to go for it.

we were undone by a better team, poor defending and some clinical finishing, i can live with that, it's getting beat off the ***** like st mirren, kilmarnock and hearts that really winds me up but they were miles better than what we'll come up against this season so i think we'll do alright

Well be be prepared 2 wins in 20 games and regular humpings amongst them. The away games willl be no fun this season :boo hoo:

bingo70
05-08-2010, 11:43 PM
They were a good team!

I totally enjoyed them take the piss out of the Hibs players each & every time they had a throw-in at the West stand side.

Men against boys!

Everytime the Hibs players were suckered in & they made the killer pass out to start an attack.

It was unbelieveable to witness.

From this part of the game tonight, I can honestly say the Hibs players are not good enough & lack intelligence if they can get out foxed each & everytime at a throw-in.

I wish them luck.

apologies if i picked you up wrong but you sound quite bitter about it but do you not just think that tonight was an indication of how bad scottish football is?

As you say, we were caught out by really basic stuff but i think all SPL teams would have had the same problem plus i think the national team would have the same team against other national teams of the same ilk

bob12345
05-08-2010, 11:43 PM
To say they'd win the SPL isn't correct. They'd come 3rd. Rangers smashed them in the only meeting and teams of that calibre have always beaten them in Europe. However their style of football is something we were so unprepared for.

Barney McGrew
05-08-2010, 11:47 PM
To say they'd win the SPL isn't correct. They'd come 3rd. Rangers smashed them in the only meeting and teams of that calibre have always beaten them in Europe. However their style of football is something we were so unprepared for.

Rangers 'smashed' them nine years ago. Their team isn't a shadow of what it was then.

Maribor played in second gear tonight and still wiped the floor with us. That's the best team we'll come up against all season by a stretch.

jgl07
05-08-2010, 11:49 PM
If Maribor were playing in the SPL, they'd walk the championship.

They're head and shoulders above anything in this country.

Reality check needed.

Hibs made them look good through their own ineptness.

Se what happens to them in the Challenge Round.

They are not a easy time to like despite their technical competence. Their players went down far too easily and stayed down far too long after powderpuff challenges. They were wasting time throughout and even continued doing so with meaningless substitutions in injury time.

Their coach is an arrogant douchbag full of his own importance. His crass insensitivity for his comments blaming Hibs for the traffic jams and gas explosions warrant a formal complaint to UEFA for bringing the game into disrepute.

They have the most pathetic away support I have come across in years. 24 present and 40 tickets sold says it all.

matty_f
05-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Well be be prepared 2 wins in 20 games and regular humpings amongst them. The away games willl be no fun this season :boo hoo:

What are the 20 games?

broonie27
05-08-2010, 11:51 PM

If the crowd physically at the game aren't a reflection of the people that watch Hibs I'm damned if I know what would be? :offski:

Barney McGrew
05-08-2010, 11:51 PM
They are not a easy time to like despite their technical competence. Their players went down far too easily and stayed down far too long after powderpuff challenges. They were wasting time throughout and even continued doing so with meaningless substitutions in injury time.

Their coach is an arrogant douchbag full of his own importance. His crass insensitivity for his comments blaming Hibs for the traffic jams and gas explosions warrant a formal complaint to UEFA for bringing the game into disrepute.

They have the most pathetic away support I have come across in years. 24 present and 40 tickets sold says it all.

None of which gets away from from the fact they were far, far better than us :wink:

bingo70
05-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Reality check needed.

dnipro didn't bring any fans across but thats completely irrelevent anyway, this whole conversation sounds like a jambo arguing about whos the bigger club when the reality is the other team was just better, plain and simple.

As frustrating as it was, time wasting was exactly the right thing to do, it stopped us building up any momentum.

jonny
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Reality check needed.

and their strips make them look like gayboys in a hivery.

however.... i'll post my opinion on tonights game tomorrow when ive time to ingest the injustice of it all :lips seal

bingo70
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
If the crowd physically at the game aren't a reflection of the people that watch Hibs I'm damned if I know what would be? :offski:

Thats my point, after tonight i'm pretty sure i know far more about football than the majority of hibs fans.

Huge amount of idiots in the crowd tonight

YetholmHibee
06-08-2010, 12:02 AM
apologies if i picked you up wrong but you sound quite bitter about it but do you not just think that tonight was an indication of how bad scottish football is?

As you say, we were caught out by really basic stuff but i think all SPL teams would have had the same problem plus i think the national team would have the same team against other national teams of the same ilk

Bitter - no not at all.

I like good football & Maribor had plenty of it . . . . there was a time when Hibs played good football many moons ago. But it is now a distant memory.

Dis-illusioned . . . yes, by Yogi, Hibs & incompetent football players & managers, Scottish football & SFA.

I agree the national team is just a carbon copy of scottish clubs\football.

SRHibs
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I think you're giving them FAR too much credit tbh. Slovenia are a piss poor Footballing nation, and the Maribor team is hardly littered with Internationals, is it?
We had Scottish, ROI and Ivory Coast internationals in our team tonight. I think man for man we definitely match them at the very least in terms of quality.
We absolutely should not be shipping 6 goals against a team like that. If Yogi had set us up properly for the 1st leg, we might've gone in to the game at ER with a chance, thus giving the players a bit of motivation and something to play for.

erskine-hibby
06-08-2010, 06:53 AM
I think you're giving them FAR too much credit tbh. Slovenia are a piss poor Footballing nation, and the Maribor team is hardly littered with Internationals, is it?
We had Scottish, ROI and Ivory Coast internationals in our team tonight. I think man for man we definitely match them at the very least in terms of quality.
We absolutely should not be shipping 6 goals against a team like that. If Yogi had set us up properly for the 1st leg, we might've gone in to the game at ER with a chance, thus giving the players a bit of motivation and something to play for.

:agree:

lucky
06-08-2010, 07:12 AM

sorry mate but did you watch the two games. Their ball control, passing movement and general football intelligence was far better than Hibs. What internationals are you taking about in the Hibs team? None are close to being starters for their country other than Bamba.

Slovenia qualified for the last world cup and were previously part of Yugoslavia who also had a decent record in European and world football.

Scottish football is dire but its what we have got. I actually enjoyed last nights game. Hibs tried but were short of class . Maribor played some great footbal and score a cracking third goal which I appalled. I been following Hibs for 30 years home and away and this nowhere near the worst team I have seen Hibs lose to.

New Corrie
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
And what about the tonkings we took off Hamilton, St Johnstone etc etc in the last 7 months, what's that down to? Funny how plenty other teams seem to plod away quite the thing with little resources, yet Hibs, with a board who back managers to the hilt, tremendous facilities and a lot of players that other clubs would kill for, just seem to fail miserably. That would suggest to me that the manager is at fault.

Spike Mandela
06-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Better teams than them have come to ER over the years but none have had as easy a ride as that lot last night.

Yes, that team were good but we made the likes of Ross County and St Johnstone look that good last season.

To merely accentuate the strength of the opposition papers over the cracks that are the limitations of our team I am afraid.

haagsehibby
06-08-2010, 08:32 AM

This will the Slovenia that were at this year's World Cup :confused:

bingo70
06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
And what about the tonkings we took off Hamilton, St Johnstone etc etc in the last 7 months, what's that down to? Funny how plenty other teams seem to plod away quite the thing with little resources, yet Hibs, with a board who back managers to the hilt, tremendous facilities and a lot of players that other clubs would kill for, just seem to fail miserably. That would suggest to me that the manager is at fault.

What about them?

I was annoyed as anybody after these games as they are both pretty poor sides and we shouldn't get beat like that off them, however thats no relevance to last nights game as Maribor are a good side so i don't really see your point :confused:

Only 3 teams 'plodded along' better than us last season and 2 of them have far better backing from there board and the other have built a better team than us over a longer period of time.

jdships
06-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Slovenia played in the WC - did Scotland ?
:rolleyes:

J-C
06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
This will the Slovenia that were at this year's World Cup :confused:

I mentioned this last night to another taxi driver, just goes to show where Scotland is in the footballing world right now.

On another note, I tuned into radio Scotland to listen to the football and surprise surprise, the Motherwell game was being aired, so the team that finished 4th gets punted for the team that finished 5th, all because they're closer to Glesga and auld Broonie is in charge.:grr:

TowerHibs
06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
When I was 15 I went on trial with hibs to the milk cup with one of them and in our first game we played Crewe Alexander. The beat us 1-0 but we never got a look in. Now I'd came from boys club to this level in space of 2/3 weeks and I thought that technically I was just as good as everyone f those Crewe players, but they're movement, awareness and game knowledge was so superior to our team.

I later went on to another SPL team.

The point I want to make is that I went to "youth initiative" to get professional coaching. To learn how to play football, to learn about formations, movement, develop awareness. Training at both these teams consisted of running, 7 a side and passing drills that I'd been doin since under 10's.

I'd say that if the majority of supporters saw professional players at any level train, you'd be impressed by they're touch and ball striking ability. However, when in a game and you get the ball and you don't know what your options will be, where to pass, where your team mates are, then those split second delays caused by tension creates mistakes (i.e poor pass, miscontrol, wrong run).

There has to be a huge overhaul in not only how football is coached physically but the mental side of it. Scotland is miles and miles behind

New Corrie
06-08-2010, 09:12 AM
What about them?

I was annoyed as anybody after these games as they are both pretty poor sides and we shouldn't get beat like that off them, however thats no relevance to last nights game as Maribor are a good side so i don't really see your point :confused:

Only 3 teams 'plodded along' better than us last season and 2 of them have far better backing from there board and the other have built a better team than us over a longer period of time.

My point being, that with the infrastructure, backing and talent available, the manager should be doing much better. I don't just mean financial backing, because I would imagine most chairmen would have sacked their manager based on the last 7 months debacle. How on earth he survived the Motherwell embarrassment I will never know:confused:

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I really enjoyed the game last night :agree:

Yes I am gutted we didn't progress in Europe but along with being a Hibs fan I'm a football fan and Maribor played some beautiful football!

I saw enough after the 1st leg to know we wouldn't turn around the defecit so I went along to ER last night to catch a proper look at the stunning new stand and completed stadium and sit back and enjoy a good game of football!

I wasn't disappointed!

We were beaten by a far superior side, technically they are brilliant and well organised! They'd win the SPL by a canter!

The amount of boo's I heard last night disappointed me, did that many Hibs fans think we were so bad and stood any chance of turning the tie around?

Reality check needed for some!

Anyway, the stadium looks amazing, Maribor played some great football and Hibs were more attacking than last week and gave it a good go!

So, despite getting beat last night and emptied out the tournament I left quite happy last night..

Suppose I'm in the minority though!

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
On another note, I tuned into radio Scotland to listen to the football and surprise surprise, the Motherwell game was being aired, so the team that finished 4th gets punted for the team that finished 5th, all because they're closer to Glesga and auld Broonie is in charge.:grr:

I don't think location had much to do with it TBH - I thought it was down to them having a realistic chance of qualifying while our game (after last weeks result) was a non-event and just an extra pre-season game for us.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Their fans are superb. They just don't have the same disposable money as we have.

houston1875
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM

eh?? yes Maribor has full international players in there team? :grr:

bingo70
06-08-2010, 09:25 AM
My point being, that with the infrastructure, backing and talent available, the manager should be doing much better. I don't just mean financial backing, because I would imagine most chairmen would have sacked their manager based on the last 7 months debacle. How on earth he survived the Motherwell embarrassment I will never know:confused:

Doing better than who? Rangers and Celtic that spend millions more than us or than Dundee Utd that have built up a team over a number of years? and if you compare us with Leviens turn around of the club, after the same amount of time Yogi has had they were struggling to make the top six under him, other than those three we are doing better than the rest.

If your struggling to understand why he sirvived the motherwell debacle i'll try and help you, there was about one game left in the season and Yogi was about to take us into europe for the first time in 5 years and for about the 4th time in the last 20 years.

Hibbyradge
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM

I think Maribor had 4 internationalists in their team last night.

They are a much better team than us. Better than anyone in the SPL, imo.

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Aye slovenian football is that bad they made it to the World Cup and had about 4 of the National side in the team last night...

Some need to get a reality check, Maribor have played in Champions League and Europa League recently........They certainly ain't mugs

Hibbyradge
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Yes I am gutted we didn't progress in Europe but along with being a Hibs fan I'm a football fan and Maribor played some beautiful football!

I saw enough after the 1st leg to know we wouldn't turn around the defecit so I went along to ER last night to catch a proper look at the stunning new stand and completed stadium and sit back and enjoy a good game of football!

I wasn't disappointed!

We were beaten by a far superior side, technically they are brilliant and well organised! They'd win the SPL by a canter!

The amount of boo's I heard last night disappointed me, did that many Hibs fans think we were so bad and stood any chance of turning the tie around?

Anyway, the stadium looks amazing, Maribor played some great football and Hibs were more attacking than last week and gave it a good go!

So, despite getting beat last night and emptied out the tournament I left quite happy last night..

Nice post. :thumbsup:

I can't say I was happy, more philosophical.

They were leagues better than us. It happens.

Judas Iscariot
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Aye slovenian football is that bad they made it to the World Cup and had about 4 of the National side in the team last night...

Some need to get a reality check, Maribor have played in Champions League and Europa League recently........They certainly ain't mugs

Exactly!

They were a joy to watch last night, even though there was a element of pain as they were tearing us to shreds but sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say they were better than us!

Baldy Foghorn
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Exactly!

They were a joy to watch last night, even though there was a element of pain as they were tearing us to shreds but sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say they were better than us!

Would say the were miles better, and their movement off the ball was impressive....

Also when they lost the ball, the team quickly regained their shape, and were very comfortable with the ball.....

Kerrplunk
06-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Time to take the green tinted specs off!
Man for man that team were far superior to us in every aspect of the game.
Ship out our rubbish and try and sign a few of they boys and we would improve immensely as a team.....will not happen but we can dream.

Kevin@green
06-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Cant agree more, this team won thier title in 08/09 then second 09/10
Won the Slovenian Cup 09/10 The Super Cup 2009 and where runner up last season!

5 players from this squad play for the national team and 1 played in the last world cup,
they are a good team, far better than we are so why should we be surprized when we get beat?

if we intend to sack the manager everytime we get beat its going to be a long season!!!
:grr:

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
To Kevin80 above. Great post and interesting no one has replied so far. This is a common feature in Scotland. Our young and youth teams do very well but fail to maintain development in the latter teen years and onto senior professional level.

4 years ago I did level 1, 2 and 3 courses with the SFA for coaching children under 12. One of the guys on that course is now coaching hibs youth players and as far as I know has done no further courses.

Our development of players between the age of 12 and 19 isn't good enough in Scotland. We should look at other sports for ideas e.g. Cycling, Swimming and what is happening now with athletics.

We need intelligent, high quality coaches. Not just ex-players.

Andy74
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM

As one of the lucky few can you talk the rest of us through the way we set up last night, why it was the right way to play, how the personnel were the right ones and how effective it was?

Brads Laing
06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
They were good, but not great. Their players weren't anything special, just organised. They had a system that their players could play to, not an over-complicated one. The moved the ball around well and were far more street-wise than us. But let's not give them to much credit, they were just ok, they never had anyone as good as miller, stokes, riordan or zemamma. If we got our tactics right on both occasions and had our players on form, we should be beating that team.

hibsbollah
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM

This is the first time ive been on here since the game and i'm surprised at how hysterical the reaction has been:confused: Ive seen a lot worse performances last season and in spells we did play some good stuff last night. Hughes' main crime has been not to address the glaring deficiency in the centre of defence, and that was a problem last night again, but its nothing we never knew already.

We were never going to overturn a three goal deficit, and I wasnt expecting much. I saw in Dr Graaf a player with potential to improve our midfield and Hart, well, isnt the new Van Zanten.

The main thing I learnt from last night is Maribor are no mugs. Their players have a higher technical ability than us and most of the SPL. I was on my feet clapping their 3rd goal.

I'm still looking forward to the new season.

Franck is God
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
As one of the lucky few can you talk the rest of us through the way we set up last night, why it was the right way to play, how the personnel were the right ones and how effective it was?

I saw what we tried to do last night and consider myself a good judge of a match.

Our initial plan was to be very direct, flood their box and play the ball into dangerous areas as opften as possible from the first minute. This was actually working quite well, they were on the back foot, we dominated possession and created a few opportunities to score as a result. Unfortunately they scored from an excellent set piece against the run of play, this had a massive effect on the Hibs players, you saw them all visibly drop instantly and it was pretty aimless until half time.

In the second half however I thought we actually calmed right down, started to play a bit of football, hold the ball better and bring a bit of patience into it while still playing positively. We equalized with a lucky goal but the eventual shot from Stokes came from a good bit of possession football that took us right to the edge of their box. Once again they scored against the run of play, I didn't have the best view of the penalty so have no real opinion on that. Their 3rd goal was a from a lightening fast break and really well finished by one of their best players on the night. We still continued to play some good football and when Galbraith & Wotherspoon came on we got a bit more pace and width and good delivery into the box which resulted in Nish's knock down for De Graaf's excellent volley.

They were a very good side and well ahead of us competetively, we were always going to struggle against them and although they were very quick, neat and tidy all over the pitch their best opportunites last night came from set pieces or on the break. Having a 3 goal advantage from the first leg allowed them to play this way.

I took a lot of positives from how we played last night but until we take steps in Scotland to start our league season at the beginning of July all of our teams will struggle against this level of team. They are already sitting at the top of their league, playing well and full of confidence whereas our first league game isn't for another 9 days, not an excuse for the result just another thing to take into account when grading our performance over the two legs.

Hibby Bairn
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I saw what we tried to do last night and consider myself a good judge of a match.

Our initial plan was to be very direct, flood their box and play the ball into dangerous areas as opften as possible from the first minute. This was actually working quite well, they were on the back foot, we dominated possession and created a few opportunities to score as a result. Unfortunately they scored from an excellent set piece against the run of play, this had a massive effect on the Hibs players, you saw them all visibly drop instantly and it was pretty aimless until half time.

In the second half however I thought we actually calmed right down, started to play a bit of football, hold the ball better and bring a bit of patience into it while still playing positively. We equalized with a lucky goal but the eventual shot from Stokes came from a good bit of possession football that took us right to the edge of their box. Once again they scored against the run of play, I didn't have the best view of the penalty so have no real opinion on that. Their 3rd goal was a from a lightening fast break and really well finished by one of their best players on the night. We still continued to play some good football and when Galbraith & Wotherspoon came on we got a bit more pace and width and good delivery into the box which resulted in Nish's knock down for De Graaf's excellent volley.

They were a very good side and well ahead of us competetively, we were always going to struggle against them and although they were very quick, neat and tidy all over the pitch their best opportunites last night came from set pieces or on the break. Having a 3 goal advantage from the first leg allowed them to play this way.

I took a lot of positives from how we played last night but until we take steps in Scotland to start our league season at the beginning of July all of our teams will struggle against this level of team. They are already sitting at the top of their league, playing well and full of confidence whereas our first league game isn't for another 9 days, not an excuse for the result just another thing to take into account when grading our performance over the two legs.

A reasonable summary. But I didn't think they were scoring against the run of play.

Hibby D
06-08-2010, 12:07 PM

I wasn't disappointed!

Great post :top marks

borstalboy
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
What about them?

you dont get his point......read your comments again.......you are saying Maribor are a good side who defeated us well and we shouldn't be to down beat, well he's trying to say that even poor sides like Hamilton and St Johnstone can beat us like Maribor did last night! So what does that hold for the season ahead?

IMO though I do think the SPL will be quite poor and we wont struggle as badly as some people think, however, I do think we'll struggle to challenge for anything this season......I for one hope i'm wrong.

allezsauzee
06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Maribor were a decent team, technically superior to anything in the SPL, although i suspect the old firm might be able to bully them into defeat. While I have been a supporter of Yogi, i was sitting right behind him last night and I was somewhat bemused as to why he thought random shouts at players and at the bench were going to do anything to help. I think its telling that when the Maribor coach shouted instructions, their players were pretty attentive, whereas the I dont think I saw any constructive communication between our players and coaching staff. We had no width until Deek was moved out to the left in the 2nd half. We seemed determined to start most of our attacks in the first half through Michael Hart and yet had nobody playing right midfield.

paxtonhibby
06-08-2010, 12:31 PM
They were good, but not great. Their players weren't anything special, just organised. They had a system that their players could play to, not an over-complicated one. The moved the ball around well and were far more street-wise than us. But let's not give them to much credit, they were just ok, they never had anyone as good as miller, stokes, riordan or zemamma. If we got our tactics right on both occasions and had our players on form, we should be beating that team.
Is this a wind up?Theres only 1 of our players that would get in the Maribor team,Bambas the name BTW.Absolute stand out for us last night.

allezsauzee
06-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Is this a wind up?Theres only 1 of our players that would get in the Maribor team,Bambas the name BTW.Absolute stand out for us last night.

Bamba???? :faf:

Andy74
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM

What I saw was a start which saw us try and get the ball up early to Nish and get Stokes, Riordan and De Graaf in around him.

This had them in a slight panic for all of about 4 minutes whilst they adjusted from the pass backwards tactics we'd played in the first game.

Once they sussed that this was our plan they matched up to Nish and the pulled their midfield back in on front of the back four to beat us to the knock downs, which they were able to do then take us out the game with close control and one touch passes.

When they packed that area for knock downs they also stretched their front players wide to give them some great outs and put pressure on our full backs who were the only players covering the whole length of each side.

Instead of countering by pulling Riordan and De Graaf wide we continued to play them narrow and indeed sometimes on the same side when they did venture wider. Our only outs at that point were the occassional bit of play through the middle which got us some half chances. The full backs got plenty ball but had no-one within 50 yards of them to play with.

When we did decide to bring wingers on we played them at full backs. Once or twice their starting positions were the other side of the half way line and finally we got by them with pace and we troubled them with crosses.

They were a technically good team and well organised but make no mistake, we were slow, we were one dimensional, we could not adjust to play a different way or a different speed and we made no particular effort to win that game last night.

Remember the tempo of the Athens game? This was like an end of season game in comparison.

I didn't expect to get through but I did expect to play a fluid game creating chances.

I've been backing Hughes and am disappointed the passion that he seemed to display before this match didn't get tramsmitted to the pitch, which we would have been as well to cut in half, not widen, by the way.

SRHibs
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Slovenia played in the WC - did Scotland ?
:rolleyes:
But look at the group they qualified from: Northern Ireland, Poland, San Marino, Slovakia and Czech Republic(who aren't a shadow of their former selves) - none of whom are exactly world beaters.

Fair enough our internationals don't play constantly, but I'd argue that ROI are a lot better than Slovenia in terms of quality, and Ivory Coast are superior to Slovenia without a doubt.

Also, for whoever said they have internationals in their side, ok fair enough. The amount of Slovenian caps in that starting line-up combined was less than 10 though.

Apart from Tavares who looked good, I think Miller, Stokes, Riordan and Bamba are all better than anyone they have in their squad.

Like I said already though, shipping 6 goals to a team like Maribor is absolutely criminal. I wouldn't be so bothered about the defeat if we had given it a proper good go. But no, Yogi shat it for the first leg and all but threw the tie away.

paxtonhibby
06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Bamba???? :faf:

No at the game last night?Best player in a green shirt by a mile.

Kerrplunk
06-08-2010, 01:13 PM
No at the game last night?Best player in a green shirt by a mile.

Bamba was our best player last night but still had a few shaky moments.
If by some chance Maribor fancied a straight swap of there 2 centre halfs for our 2 i would bite their hands off for that.

hibsfan
06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
disagree with the claim that Maribor would be challenging for 3rd every year.

That was the best performance I have seen from ANY team at Easter Road ever (I am only 25!)
They would be beating any SPL team week in week out.

Hibs were awful - but we didnt stand a chance against a team of professional footballers who know how to pass and move forward off the ball. Hopefully some of our boys will look in the mirror and realise that they have far to go before they can call themselves professional footballers.

YetholmHibee
06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
When I was 15 I went on trial with hibs to the milk cup with one of them and in our first game we played Crewe Alexander. The beat us 1-0 but we never got a look in. Now I'd came from boys club to this level in space of 2/3 weeks and I thought that technically I was just as good as everyone f those Crewe players, but they're movement, awareness and game knowledge was so superior to our team.

I later went on to another SPL team.

The point I want to make is that I went to "youth initiative" to get professional coaching. To learn how to play football, to learn about formations, movement, develop awareness. Training at both these teams consisted of running, 7 a side and passing drills that I'd been doin since under 10's.

I'd say that if the majority of supporters saw professional players at any level train, you'd be impressed by they're touch and ball striking ability. However, when in a game and you get the ball and you don't know what your options will be, where to pass, where your team mates are, then those split second delays caused by tension creates mistakes (i.e poor pass, miscontrol, wrong run).

There has to be a huge overhaul in not only how football is coached physically but the mental side of it. Scotland is miles and miles behind

Totally agree. My son is playing at the "youth performance" level & I am not impressed with it.

It was suppose to be 'not result' orientated . . . just friendies with no league. But it has not turned out that way at all. It is all about the coaches & money.

I honestly think the training at "youth performance" level is not as advanced as some people think it should be.

Huge overhaul is needed - grass roots to start with.

Forget about the SFA way . . . . . go the Coerver\Dutch\French\German way.

silverhibee
06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Blackpool Hibs i have sent you a PM.:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Blackpool Hibs i have sent you a PM.:thumbsup:

Its not arrived SH?:confused:

Thigh ar la
06-08-2010, 11:41 PM
I LOVE this club and was very very dissapointed the other night. I Know for a fact that there will be great times ahead though, law of averages? However, Some of you really are clutching at excusive straws to claim this team are of such high quality. Not once did hibs look up for it, make them fight or string a pass together. One of the worst performances in a good good while from us and Maribor just played football in an efficient, competitive manner. This is about the 3rd time i have said this on the forum. I hate to say it but Hibs were atrocious the other night but if you prefer to think we played a ¨top class´ team then thats up to you!

silverhibee
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Its not arrived SH?:confused:

Sent now. :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
07-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Anybody who doubts the quality of that Maribor team really can't appreciate good football.

If it wasn't against my team then it would have been a joy to watch, we were chasing shadows all night - their tactics were completely spot on in absorbing our pressure (for pressure, read a world record number of missed flick ons from Nish from hopeless long balls) and then killing us on the counter attack.

I was actually really proud to be amongst those who were left in the ground at the end of the game who, to a man, applauded Maribor off the pitch with Hibs already down the tunnel.

Littlest Hobo
07-08-2010, 06:24 AM

For me it has nout to do with how good the other team were and more to do with the way Yogi is managing the team.
1. He has failed to sort out our goalkeeping situation, infact i'd go as far to say he's made it worse with Stack, Smith and Brown not having a clue what's going on. Smith has lost all confidence since being dropped for what reason nobody knows? Not to mention his kicking is on a par with a five year old. Stack is fixed to his line, hates to come for a cross at anytime? Brown nobody knows why we even bothered to buy the lad, with rumours flying around that Yogi was looking to off load him?

2.Our Capitan Mr. Hogg. He shouldn't even be in the starting line up never mind be captain. Absolute joke!

3. Nish, 100% effort but he should have been off loaded at the end of last season.

4. The footballing nouse of our manager again is probably on par with a five year old.

5. He has brought in some decent signings but failed to get the right balance , that combined with his terrible knowledge of how to sety a team up or change a game makes us relegation candidates for the season ahead.

6. For Entertainment it's got to be 3 out of ten. We are going backwards with Yogi!

7. Having said all that, I really hope he proves me wrong but somehow i don't think he will. The question is how long will it be before Rod makes the enevitable decision? For me, the sooner the better!