PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who thinks Maribor are "average"

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I am sorry, but you either :-

Cannot have been at the game tonight
Have poor eyesight (or are completely blind)
Know nothing about football

They were quick, well organised, very hard working, had a brilliant first touch (all over the park), defended very well when they had to and all tried like bears to a man.

Special mention to their no 27 - absoloutely magnificent player.

I am confident that they would beat most (if not all) SPL teams. :agree:

I hope our players learnt a lot from the experience of playing against a far better team over 2legs. I certainly hope that it was a reality check for some of our our so called "superstars"!

Hibs till I die.

MountcastleHibs
05-08-2010, 10:40 PM

They were quick, well organised, very hard working, had a brilliant first touch (all over the park), defended very well when they had to and all tried like bears to a man.

I hope our players learnt a lot from the experience of playing against a far better team over 2legs. I certainly hope that it was a reality check for some of our our so called "superstars"!

Hibs till I die.

:top marks A lot of knee jerk posts on here (I include myself in that). But let's not take anything away from Maribor. Top quality footballing side, who provided a footballing lesson to our team.

For me Tavares or their number 8 were their best players.

All the best to them.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Hibs till I die.

You expect them to go all the way in the Europa League then?
They were streets aheads of Hibs and won the tie at a canter, so what?
I look forward to reminding you of this thread in the coming weeks.

Tyler Durden
05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
They're an average side and I'm confident that will be shown in the next round.

They clearly pass the ball well and their finishing was clinical over both legs. But their defence was never really tested. When we did manage to exert some pressure they struggled to deal with crossed balls. A decent side playing at a good tempo (even a performance akin to the Hibs side that drew at Ibrox last year) would've seeriously tested them.

Shame Yogi's tactics and individual errors by a few players cost us the tie in the first leg. But please spare me the nonsense that we should be honoured to grace the same park as Maribor, they were nothing special.

Makaveli
05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
They looked comfortable when we gave them time on the ball but when we were going at them in the first 10 mins their defence looked very uncomfortable and their midfielders were making poor individual decisions.

We might not have made them look good but we let them look good.

Vini1875
05-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Whether they do anything in the Europa is neither here or there. They were better than us all over the park. For what its worth I thought Hibs gave a good account of themselves while up against a much better team. We are simply not good enough to progress any further and we need better players, while the ones we have need to improve.

I also think Yogi got it wrong being too cautious in the first game. It was much better tonight.

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2010, 10:48 PM

I am happy for you (maybe you need to get out more often though ?!?) :wink:

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Whether they do anything in the Europa is neither here or there. They were better than us all over the park. For what its worth I thought Hibs gave a good account of themselves while up against a much better team. We are simply not good enough to progress any further and we need better players, while the ones we have need to improve.

I also think Yogi got it wrong being too cautious in the first game. It was much better tonight.

:top marks :agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2010, 10:53 PM
[/B]

I am happy for you (maybe you need to get out more often though ?!?) :wink:

I'd love to get out more often, however whether I do or don’t, I’d like to hope I’ll refrain from making over the top observations that I may regret in the fullness of time. :wink:

The Voice Of Reason
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd love to get out more often, however whether I do or don’t, I’d like to hope I’ll refrain from making over the top observations that I may regret in the fullness of time. :wink:

What was "over the top" about my OP ?

A rough summary - I said they were good all over the pitch, much better than us and that I think they would beat most (if not all) SPL teams. Therefore they are a lot better than "average".

I did not do a "Romanov" and predict they would be champions of Europe !

bob12345
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
They struggled big time against Videoton, in the away leg the tie could have been put to bed. Are they also an accomplished European outfit?

Dunkin' Donut
06-08-2010, 07:49 PM
over the two legs we played into their hands at every opportunity - long balls etc. we were completely outplayed in this tie, and its fair to say we got what we deserved.

Ken
06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
FWIW I thought Maribor were pretty impressive over the 2 legs.

HFC 0-7
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Hibs till I die.

IMO they are definately average in terms of ability, the difference is that they were fit, sharp and well drilled. Each player knew what they had to do and when. As soon as there keeper got the ball 2 of their players busted a gut to get to the touchline to stretch our light midfield across the pitch. They never done this from the start they done after they seen how narrow we were playing and that we were really only playing with 3 in midfield, in other words they adapted.

All of these things that Maribor were good at were not really player ability but more the tactics from the manager. The manager has made them sharp and hungry, he has given each player a job to do and they know that job well. Their manager obviously saw we were playing narrow early on and after that you could see that as soon as the goallie got the ball 2 men bombed out wide and we bombed out wide to mark leaving 1 or 2 in the midfield or we left them meaning they had free reign down the wings.

We have players with ability but the way we played meant they got no service or were in positions they could do anything. Yogi is murder with his tactics, one up front in the first leg then completely U turn and play 3 up front. 4-4-2 was the order of the day to keep some sort of width and then throw on another forward late on.

Maribor and average but very well drilled team.

Hibs are an average team peppered with some real talent but a clueless manager that has strange tactics and absolutely no ability to see a game changing in favour of the opposition and countering it.

Yogi has 1 plan at the start of the game and that is it for the rest of the game no matter whats happening.

HibeeB
06-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Do you think only teams capable of winning the Europa Cup can beat this Hibs team?

Maribor had technically better players, were better organised and played the correct game to beat a poorly organised Hibs team. There defence was dodgy but we hardly had them under any pressure.

What exactly are you looking forward to? Reminding a fellow Hibee of his post when Maribor get beaten in the Europa Cup????????

Ease up on the crack.

ekhibee
06-08-2010, 08:54 PM
:top marks
Do you think only teams capable of winning the Europa Cup can beat this Hibs team?

Maribor had technically better players, were better organised and played the correct game to beat a poorly organised Hibs team. There defence was dodgy but we hardly had them under any pressure.

What exactly are you looking forward to? Reminding a fellow Hibee of his post when Maribor get beaten in the Europa Cup????????

Ease up on the crack.

Nakedmanoncrack
06-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Not at all, this very poor Hibs team would have lost to many of the other non-entities in the qualifying draw, and will lose to many of the other dross that makes up the SPL in the coming months.

No dispute.

The OP claimed that anyone who thinks Maribor are anything other than 'average' wasn't at the game, is blind or knows nothing about football. As a ST Ticket holder who was at the game, enjoys perfect eyesight, and without wishing to claim to be a great authority on football doesn't think he deserves to be dismissed as knowing nothing about football, I'll look forward to being proved right or wrong wichever it may be.

Ease up on the crack.
Thanks for the advice.

:bye:

Hibbyradge
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I agree with the OP. They were miles ahead of any team I've seen at ER for years. Scottish football is in dire straight. Not just Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2010, 05:51 AM
It's an interesting debate, this 'us *****' v 'maribor briliant' one. Time will tell. If they played week in, week out in Scotland, our culture, training and discipline would get to them and a lot of their pace and technique would soon go.

George Street does that to a man.

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 06:33 AM
They area decent side that we made look like world beaters.

We'll do that to a lot of sides this year unless hughes gets the boys fit, sorts out his tactics and gets the boys clearly understanding what he wants them to do.

I really fear that one of the best hibs squads for years is being squandered.

Hibbyradge
07-08-2010, 07:28 AM
They area decent side that we made look like world beaters.

We made Brcelona look like world beaters a couple of years back, I seem to recall. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I just don't know what that means or how you could come to such a conclusion.

They took the ball off us, passed it beautifully, moved skilfully off the ball, and scored 6 goals.

We made them look like world beaters?

We were trying our best to beat them and couldn't even get close for 180 minutes.

You can't make a side look like world beaters. St Mirren will never be able to play like Maribor, no matter the opposition.

It seems folk would rather knock Hibs than applaud the opponents' skill.

Brizo
07-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Maribors players had the three things we lacked - a first touch . pace and movement off the ball. Once they got their goal , when they moved the ball about especially when they were playing it in triangles we were chasing shadows. But before they got that goal and we were going at them I didnt think they looked that great at the back. Id like to see how their defence and temperament would stand up to sustained pressure.

Maribors fitba was great to watch and in an SPL context they were technically far superior to anything here including the ugly sisters. Im still trying to make my mind up though if in an overall Europa context they are that good. Or if Scottish fitbas that p@sh that we make any half decent continental side with a competent technique and a fitba brain look top drawer.

It will be interesting to see how they progress in the tournament.

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 07:39 AM
We made Brcelona look like world beaters a couple of years back, I seem to recall. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I just don't know what that means or how you could come to such a conclusion.

They took the ball off us, passed it beautifully, moved skilfully off the ball, and scored 6 goals.

We were trying our best to beat them and couldn't even get close for 180 minutes.

You can't make a side look like world beaters. St Mirren will never be able to play like Maribor, no matter the opposition.

No I'm just being realistic about how good they where, I'm not prepared to take the easy way out and either blame scottish football or maribor being too good.

We were/where not good enough, bottom line.

Our squad however is good enough to challenge a team like that, but we are unfit, disorganised and have no clear idea of how we should be playing.

I take nothing away from maribor, they deserved the win, but we should not have allowed them to deserve the win. This thing of bigging up maribor is just another attempt to hide from the truth about how bad we are at the moment. We won't get any better unless we face up to the truth!!

hibsbollah
07-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Maribors players had the three things we lacked - a first touch . pace and movement off the ball. Once they got their goal , when they moved the ball about especially when they were playing it in triangles we were chasing shadows. But before they got that goal and we were going at them I didnt think they looked that great at the back. Id like to see how their defence and temperament would stand up to sustained pressure.

Maribors fitba was great to watch and in an SPL context they were technically far superior to anything here including the ugly sisters. Im still trying to make my mind up though if in an overall Eurpoa context they are that good. Or if Scottish fitbas that p@sh that we make any half decent continental side with a competent technique and a fitba brain look top drawer.

It will be interesting to see how they progress in the tournament.

:agree: that will show us a lot about the relative strengths of Maribor, European clubs and the SPL. There were a few occasions, when their #8 used his skill and speed to beat Murray and embarrass McBride for the penalty, for example, when I thought that only zemmama and riordan out of our players could have done something similar.

Beefster
07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Let's not forget that we have already made St Johnstone, Hamilton, Ross County and Motherwell (in spells) look like world beaters in competitive games this year.

I don't think it's that difficult to look good against the current Hibs team.

calamitus
07-08-2010, 08:10 AM
For what it's worth, I thought we looked pretty good against them for the first half hour or so. I do agree that their defence only looked average, but the rest of their team were good enough that it didn't matter as the game went on.

In terms of technique, I'd put them at slightly better than the old firm, so I don't think they'll do amazingly well in Europe (might be wrong on that) but I certainly don't think losing to them was some kind of massive failure. Maybe the first leg was, but I genuinely don't think we looked bad on Thursday.

Tactically, I could see what Yogi was trying - putting the young speedy guys on as wing backs at the end when the opposition would be getting tired, but by then, it didn't really matter.

I think there are some pretty encouraging signs for this season, but our main problem is that we're coming off the back of such a bad run, so every time someone makes a mistake, we think 'here we go again' and get a bit quiet.

cocopops1875
07-08-2010, 08:37 AM
their 7,8,9 and 17 would walk into our team right now and thats just for starters they are a very decent team i would have liked to see more from us but strangely came away feeling that if we play like that this season we will win more than we lose KEEP THE FAITH

HFC 0-7
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
their 7,8,9 and 17 would walk into our team right now and thats just for starters they are a very decent team i would have liked to see more from us but strangely came away feeling that if we play like that this season we will win more than we lose KEEP THE FAITH

Those players may walk straigh into our side but Yogi would get them pkaying on the wrong position and it wouldnt be long before they couldnt pass, tackle or move off the ball. All the things that Maribor have which are better than Hibs was things that the manager puts into the squad. Yogi is clueless and unfortunately for and Hibs will not walk putting hibs further behind. This season is going to be a nightmare where there was so much potential. The story of this season to come will be that of shocking performances and results, many fans sayng I told you so regardingin Yogi's appointment and 10K attendances in our new 20K+ stadium.

The manager will probably be sacked at the end of the season after Yogi has had another transfer window to buy players for the wrong position, leaving a new manager to come in with a lop sided squad and try and make it right meanwhile in the background the board trying to find ways of getting fans back to the ground. . . . again.

I suppose this is probably the boards fault for going for the cheap option again with managers. Motherwell have somehow managed to get paw broon in as manager who has a wealth of experience in management.

The current Hibs team is full of Youth and players that are trying to get their career on track after being naughty, that mix is crying out for a manager with experience, not a manager who has managed relegation fodder for a few years who has grand ideas of about how football should be played forgetting that you actually need very good player to play that way!

Sorry for the rant but I just cant see why anyone can defend the shambles that is Hibs at the moment and more importantly Hughes who clearly doesnt have a clue. Any clubs down south that thought about trying to get hughes a while back must be grinning with a great sigh of relief!

Iggy Pope
07-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Oh well at least you have something to look forward to.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2010, 02:34 PM

:top marks Just watch how long it took virtually every one of our players to control the ball and compare it with them, it was frightening the difference. They had controlled it and moved it on by the time we had the bloody thing under control. Its amazing the time you have in possession when you can master this art. They were streets ahead of us in this department. :boo hoo:

sahib
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
In European terms Maribor are probably an average side.
If Hibs ever manage to become an average European side I will be delighted. Because I would be watching a team capable of dominating Scottish football

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
In European terms Maribor are probably an average side.
If Hibs ever manage to become an average European side I will be delighted. Because I would be watching a team capable of dominating Scottish football

:agree:
Yip spot on. Scottish football has fallen dramatically over the years, and these new countries have caught up and overtaken us. There are mant reasons for this but we have to get realistic in our aims these days.

BEEJ
07-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Yip spot on. Scottish football has fallen dramatically over the years, and these new countries have caught up and overtaken us. There are mant reasons for this but we have to get realistic in our aims these days.
Regardless of how competent Maribor may be on the European stage, to lose both legs of the tie and to go out to them by the goal margin that we did is not a result to draw satisfaction from.

We did not give a good account of ourselves.

thebakerboy
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
On thursday the biggest problem we had was a total lack of pace in the team (Bamba excepted). all their players were quicker than all but 1 of ours and I reckon at least 6 or 7 would walk or rather run into our first team. Unfortunately speed can not be coached into players , they either have it or not and we have a team of plodders. To get to their level Yogi would have to change at least six of his squad with much better players and in the present climate that is not going to happen. Hopefully over the next few seasons we can get to this level but it will take a while and although I am not too confident in Yogi changing the manager too often does not work. We have to stick with him and hope he gets it right.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Golden Bear
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
On thursday the biggest problem we had was a total lack of pace in the team (Bamba excepted). all their players were quicker than all but 1 of ours and I reckon at least 6 or 7 would walk or rather run into our first team. Unfortunately speed can not be coached into players , they either have it or not and we have a team of plodders. To get to their level Yogi would have to change at least six of his squad with much better players and in the present climate that is not going to happen. Hopefully over the next few seasons we can get to this level but it will take a while and although I am not too confident in Yogi changing the manager too often does not work. We have to stick with him and hope he gets it right.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Lack of pace throughout the team has been apparent for a long time now and as you say it's not something that can be rectified at the training ground.

I think this is the reason why we appear to be outfought on so many occasions but in reality it's because the opposition (whoever sadly!) are so much quicker.

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Lack of pace throughout the team has been apparent for a long time now and as you say it's not something that can be rectified at the training ground.

I think this is the reason why we appear to be outfought on so many occasions but in reality it's because the opposition (whoever sadly!) are so much quicker.

I'm not sure I totally agree, I remember first game of the season under JC, every hibs player was first to the ball, they looked incredibly sharp and fit.

Even a slow player can be faster if they are fit.

I appreciate some players will always be slower than others, but I reckon we are losing speed in our players with our training methods.

Tyler Durden
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
To get back to the OP, Yogi himself is quoted today admitting Maribor "aren't the best". Make of that what you will!

Golden Bear
07-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure I totally agree, I remember first game of the season under JC, every hibs player was first to the ball, they looked incredibly sharp and fit.

I appreciate some players will always be slower than others, but I reckon we are losing speed in our players with our training methods.

Reactive speed can be improved through fitness but if a player is fundamentally slow then there's little that can be done to improve what he already has.

Having said that, I see that FJK has hired George Mcneill so I presume that was to do with specialised speed training for the squad -------- either that or he was dirt cheap!

Baldy Foghorn
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
To get back to the OP, Yogi himself is quoted today admitting Maribor "aren't the best". Make of that what you will!

Quite a poor admission for our Manager to make, after being outplayed in both legs, it does not sound very gracious and reeks of sour grapes......

If they aren't the best, god only knows what that makes us?

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Reactive speed can be improved through fitness but if a player is fundamentally slow then there's little that can be done to improve what he already has.

Having said that, I see that FJK has hired George Mcneill so I presume that was to do with specialised speed training for the squad -------- either that or he was dirt cheap!

true, it just seems to me that most of the players seem to get slower by the week. I can't just be imagining it surely:confused:

Golden Bear
07-08-2010, 05:47 PM
true, it just seems to me that most of the players seem to get slower by the week. I can't just be imagining it surely:confused:

I think you're spot on but I've no idea why that should be.

Maybe it is to do with the type of training (or lack of training) they do at East Mains but there are just too many players in the team who can only be described as tortoises.

vahibbie
07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I think you're spot on but I've no idea why that should be.

Maybe it is to do with the type of training (or lack of training) they do at East Mains but there are just too many players in the team who can only be described as tortoises.

and they also hide when things are not going right:agree:

down-the-slope
07-08-2010, 05:59 PM
i agree that technically 6/7 of their players would displace their equivelents in our team

Illic the No.27 for MOM for me quick good tackler a first touch that was mesmerising and tricks that could fill a whole programme of 'showboat' ....and only 22

ROD...get it sorted :grr::grr:

TrinityHibs
07-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Apologies if this has been said already as I havent read the whole thread but I thought the Maribor players moved to space while we stood and waited for the ball. This meant the passes from them were going to areas that they were running to whereas if we passed (and that was not a tactic often deployed) it was to a player standing still with ihis back to goals with a Maribor player attached to his er*e.

Also the front two broke away from each other pulling Hogg and Bamba wide leaving a huge hole in the middle of the defence that the midfield passed into for the breaking forwards to run on to. How it was only 3-2 god only knows.

Wre Maribor better than us? Yes. Were they as good as Barcelona at Murrayfield? No Will they win the Europa Cup ? Unlikely but I will watch them with interest.

Its going to be a long season if we dont get rid of this long ball nonsense. Yogi you need to sort it.

On a positive note I wish I had a ST in the east it looked fantastic.

modsquad
07-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately Scottish football is heading into oblivion and at a national level England is going the same way.

The way that clubs are coached and what they look for in a player is the route of all problems. Too many times, players are looked at and chosen by their physical size and strength. I don't know if anyone listens to Talksport but since Englands exit from South Africa, there has been a lot of hand wringing about the performances and what needs to be done to correct it. There is too much emphasis on a players size and strength as a 15-17 year old and not enough on technical ability. They used Lionel Messi as an example of a slightly built player who would have been relesed by an English club because of his size.

Continental sides have the ability to control a ball and give them space and time to pick out a player. Yet how many times have you been at a Scottish football match when the defenders and midfielders are passing it square or are looking for a short pass and the crowd are getting on their back to get it forward quickly. Until this sort of mindset changes from the fans, Scottish football will never change.

The other thing to look at is the standard of player in the SPL. English clubs are hardly falling over themselves to sign players from our clubs. Having seen the results today, it appears that Strachan's SPL select are not going to set the world on fire in The Championship. Chris Porter who people rated when he was at Motherwell, can hardly get a game at Derby.

The players that come from England to the SPL are not of the same quality that Rangers brought in the mid 80s. Gary Hooper is a decent player but hes come from Scunthorpe. Elliott who Hearts are looking at has a poor scoring record over the last few years. Even Anthony Stokes could not cut it in England yet he scores with regularity in the SPL. Lukas Jutkewicz wasn't prolific in England yet looked like a great player here.

Unfortunately for Scottish clubs, the downward spiral is going to continue

SneakersO'Toole
07-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I remember in during the 1st half Ian Murray had the ball near the corner flag in our own half. He was put under pressure by one Maribor player and before you knew it the ball had been booted out the park. There was no option from a Hibs player but it didn't matter because he didnt look for one anyway.

About 10mins later the same scenario occured except Stokes put one of their players under pressure at the corner, only for their player to find a Maribor player and about 10 passes later they had earned a corner without the ball leaving the deck.

Their composure on the ball, off the ball movement and crisp, accurate passing ripped us apart time and time again over the two legs.

Forget this 'we made them look like world beaters', they were/are a better team with better players and dare I say probably a better manager.

No one can deny that Hibs played poorly over the two legs but for anyone to say that Maribor are average or 'that we made them look good' clearly knows little about football IMO.

BEEJ
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately Scottish football is heading into oblivion and at a national level England is going the same way.

The way that clubs are coached and what they look for in a player is the route of all problems. Too many times, players are looked at and chosen by their physical size and strength. I don't know if anyone listens to Talksport but since Englands exit from South Africa, there has been a lot of hand wringing about the performances and what needs to be done to correct it. There is too much emphasis on a players size and strength as a 15-17 year old and not enough on technical ability. They used Lionel Messi as an example of a slightly built player who would have been relesed by an English club because of his size.

Continental sides have the ability to control a ball and give them space and time to pick out a player. Yet how many times have you been at a Scottish football match when the defenders and midfielders are passing it square or are looking for a short pass and the crowd are getting on their back to get it forward quickly. Until this sort of mindset changes from the fans, Scottish football will never change.

The other thing to look at is the standard of player in the SPL. English clubs are hardly falling over themselves to sign players from our clubs. Having seen the results today, it appears that Strachan's SPL select are not going to set the world on fire in The Championship. Chris Porter who people rated when he was at Motherwell, can hardly get a game at Derby.

The players that come from England to the SPL are not of the same quality that Rangers brought in the mid 80s. Gary Hooper is a decent player but hes come from Scunthorpe. Elliott who Hearts are looking at has a poor scoring record over the last few years. Even Anthony Stokes could not cut it in England yet he scores with regularity in the SPL. Lukas Jutkewicz wasn't prolific in England yet looked like a great player here.

Unfortunately for Scottish clubs, the downward spiral is going to continue
:agree: Good post.

Though somewhat depressing. :rolleyes:

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I remember in during the 1st half Ian Murray had the ball near the corner flag in our own half. He was put under pressure by one Maribor player and before you knew it the ball had been booted out the park. There was no option from a Hibs player but it didn't matter because he didnt look for one anyway.

About 10mins later the same scenario occured except Stokes put one of their players under pressure at the corner, only for their player to find a Maribor player and about 10 passes later they had earned a corner without the ball leaving the deck.

Their composure on the ball, off the ball movement and crisp, accurate passing ripped us apart time and time again over the two legs.

Forget this 'we made them look like world beaters', they were/are a better team with better players and dare I say probably a better manager.

No one can deny that Hibs played poorly over the two legs but for anyone to say that Maribor are average or 'that we made them look good' clearly knows little about football IMO.

I think its sad the way some people want to take the easy way out, and just say we're not good enough, accept it.

Our players are good enough, if they are trained properly, organised properly, playing to tactics they understand, they could beat maribor.

Compare mowbrays hibs to hughes hibs. How would mowbrays hibs have done against maribor?

I reckon a damn sight better, why? because they played quickly, there passes where meaningful, the players had belief. That was juat a few years ago!!

Why has every one given up and decided to accept pish as being normal:confused:

sorry not everyone, a few folks have agreed earlier in the thread. The last sentence was written a bit quickly.

Westie1875
07-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Really? If so then that is worrying and sounds quite pathetic, what on earth does he make of his own team in that case?

Bishop Hibee
07-08-2010, 10:04 PM
What's average? In the SPL that Maribor side would be above average and in the top 3. In the Europa League I'll be surprised if they get past Palermo in the next round and it could therefore be argued they would be below average.

Whatever way I look at Hibs, I think we're an average SPL team who'll probably finish 6th this season from having seen the Carlisle game and the Maribor home game.

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 10:10 PM
What's average? In the SPL that Maribor side would be above average and in the top 3. In the Europa League I'll be surprised if they get past Palermo in the next round and it could therefore be argued they would be below average.

Whatever way I look at Hibs, I think we're an average SPL team who'll probably finish 6th this season from having seen the Carlisle game and the Maribor home game.

The question is though, do you think thats the best we can accept?

Bishop Hibee
07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
The question is though, do you think thats the best we can accept?

No, we should be challenging for the top 3 every season ourselves and making a better fist of it in Europe on the occasions we get there. I hope Yogi can turn it around and prove me wrong about my 6th place prediction. Time will tell.

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 10:24 PM
No, we should be challenging for the top 3 every season ourselves and making a better fist of it in Europe on the occasions we get there. I hope Yogi can turn it around and prove me wrong about my 6th place prediction. Time will tell.

I hope he proves you wrong as well, he'll also be proving me wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM

Of course it can be worked on. Sprinting sessions could be added to the training schedule as well as plyometrics and that - all of that stuff's designed for speed, we just choose not to bother by the looks of things. It's been evident we've no pace for months now but nothing's been done about it.

Quite a poor admission for our Manager to make, after being outplayed in both legs, it does not sound very gracious and reeks of sour grapes......

At least he's not trying to make excuses for it like many on here are by claiming they'd win the SPL if they were in it.

bighairyfaeleith
07-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Of course it can be worked on. Sprinting sessions could be added to the training schedule as well as plyometrics and that - all of that stuff's designed for speed, we just choose not to bother by the looks of things. It's been evident we've no pace for months now but nothing's been done about it.

At least he's not trying to make excuses for it like many on here are by claiming they'd win the SPL if they were in it.

Your spot on there, I haven't actually read hughes comments yet, link anyone?, however he need to be more critical of his teams play, not just for the sake of it, and not to please fans, but in a way that helps the players learn.

basehibby
08-08-2010, 02:07 PM

What was he supposed to say???

Would you have prefered " That Maribor would have geid Barcelona a doin'" ???

Or is that too gracious?

basehibby
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Regardless of how competent Maribor may be on the European stage, to lose both legs of the tie and to go out to them by the goal margin that we did is not a result to draw satisfaction from.

We did not give a good account of ourselves.

:agree: I agree - while I object strongly to the indecent haste shown by some to sack the manager, I think the team let themselves down with some of the goals conceded to Maribor - we gave the ball away far too cheaply.

That said, Maribor wasted no time at all in punishing these mistakes and that was indicative of the qualities shown by them right through both matches. I'm not sure how they'll do against the Italian side (Palermo?) in the Europa, but what is very clear is that in SPL terms Maribor are very much above average. from what I could see, probably a fair bit ahead of Dundee Utd - if playing in the SPL they'd have a bloody good crack at splitting the OF IMO.

Tyler Durden
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Yogi's comments are in the "De Graaf will have good strike rate" article available on the front page. I can't post a link from my Blackberry.

I don't think anyone is arguing that there's a lot to admire about the way Maribor play. What I take exception to, are the people on here who contend that we shouldn't be too annoyed with our performance because Maribor are much better and basically, we had no chance anyway.

For whatever reason we gave nowhere near a credible account of ourself. IMO Dundee Utd (or the pre Xmas Yogi's Hibs), would've stood an excellent chance of beating Maribor.

Hibercelona
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
We'd make Livingston look good.

Hibs On Tour
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM

If it was the first game of the full season under him, that's not how I remember it. Gretna, to be blunt, played us off the park before IIRC going into a 2-goal lead. I still scratch my head wondering how we got out of that game with a 4-2 win because sure as hell we didn't deserve it! Opinions, eh? :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
09-08-2010, 08:54 AM
What was he supposed to say???

Would you have prefered " That Maribor would have geid Barcelona a doin'" ???

Or is that too gracious?

Or he could have kept his counsel to himself..... He did not need to say they are not the best.....

tony higgins
19-08-2010, 11:30 PM

:greengrin

Albanian Hibs
20-08-2010, 12:17 AM

To be fair, they were playing a team tonight that finished 5th in Serie A. Maribor are a step up from us and IMO Palermo are 2 or 3 steps up from us.

(((Fergus)))
20-08-2010, 12:19 AM

To be fair, they were playing a team tonight that finished 5th in Serie A. Maribor are a step up from us and IMO Palermo are 2 or 3 steps up from us.

It was 0-0 til they had their keeper sent off.

The referee was Dougie McDonald :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
20-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I watched this game until half time. Maribor were comfortable, spraying the ball about and created a few chances. The game turned on its head when the keeper was sent off. The sub keeper then let another goal in Zibi would have been proud of. As someone else said, Maribor were a step up in class for us, Palermo would be another step up too. The draw was not kind to us, Motherwell were the better side against Odense, i'd expect them to come through against them next week.

If we'd had had their draw, i think we'd be in the group stages now.:boo hoo:

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I watched this game until half time. Maribor were comfortable, spraying the ball about and created a few chances. The game turned on its head when the keeper was sent off. The sub keeper then let another goal in Zibi would have been proud of. As someone else said, Maribor were a step up in class for us, Palermo would be another step up too. The draw was not kind to us, Motherwell were the better side against Odense, i'd expect them to come through against them next week.

If we'd had had their draw, i think we'd be in the group stages now.:boo hoo:

We'd be as good as in Lansdowne Road if we had Motherwell's draw. I reckon only Ross County could have stopped us lifting the trophy.

blackpoolhibs
20-08-2010, 08:39 AM
We'd be as good as in Lansdowne Road if we had Motherwell's draw. I reckon only Ross County could have stopped us lifting the trophy.

:tee hee: