PDA

View Full Version : The Hibs bear before the game (merged)

big-mo
05-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Did anyone else notice the Bear in a Hibs strip coming on the pitch before the game?
This better not be a Hibs mascot, I think that I speak for a lot of the fans and say that we do not want a mascot, we have never had one and we should never stoop that low in having one. :bitchy:

Anyone disagee?

Sweep
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Did anyone else notice the Bear in a Hibs strip coming on the pitch before the game?
This better not be a Hibs mascot, I think that I speak for a lot of the fans and say that we do not want a mascot, we have never had one and we should never stoop that low in having one. :bitchy:

Anyone disagee?

I think its a lynx. Leith lynx is its name.

mcaitchi
16-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I think its a lynx. Leith lynx is its name.

No - We Dont Want a Mascot !!!!! :grr:

Diclonius
16-08-2010, 01:04 PM
That mascot made me cringe. I hope to God it isn't a permenant deal.

woodythehibee
16-08-2010, 01:05 PM
No - We Dont Want a Mascot !!!!! :grr:

Sunshine the Leith Lynx is a Hibs Kid mascot...not a mascot like Dunfermline etc have before matches...

unless things have changed...

Hibbyradge
16-08-2010, 01:06 PM
we should never stoop that low in having one. :bitchy:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8PfFfY1JXwc/SMnjNOl3H5I/AAAAAAAAAA0/GOgnDJjoF-k/s400/drama_queen%5B1%5D.JPG

Ritchie
16-08-2010, 01:18 PM
whats the big deal??

its for the kids.... :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
16-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I was always quite proud of the fact that Hibs didn't have some cheap fancy dress costume parading about the pitch before games.

Peronally i think sunshine should be kept in storage apart from the Hibs kids xmas party. Mascots just make me cringe.

Zondervan
16-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Here he is:

http://www.scotprem.com/content/mediaassets/images/mascot%20race%20header.jpg

http://www.hibs.net/images/avatars/LeithLynx100.jpg

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2010, 01:36 PM
whats the big deal??

its for the kids.... :rolleyes:

:agree:

HibbyAndy
16-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I cant bare this thread.

Loopz
16-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I was always quite proud of the fact that Hibs didn't have some cheap fancy dress costume parading about the pitch before games.

Peronally i think sunshine should be kept in storage apart from the His kids xmas party. Mascots just make me cringe.

Lighten up guys, mascots are fun. My 4 year old son is a season ticket holder at ER. He goes to football training at our local sports centre in Fife run by Pars in the community. They have a teddy sized version of Sammy the Tammy (The Dunfermline mascot). The kids take Sammy home and photograph him taking part in a family activity, you take him back next week and tell your story. My son loves Sammy the Tammy. Used in the right way mascots can be great and an added bit of kids fun for pre-match. Remember as Whitney said "Children are the future" and I've always thought Leith Lynx was quite a clever name.

RIP
16-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Football is a family occasion.

Easter Road is now marketed as the Family Home

20% of ST's are female. A quarter of Season ticket seats are occupied by those aged 16 and under.

In that context - is a person in an animal suit aimed at our younger fans not appropriate?

lyonhibs
16-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Anyone disagee?

:tee hee::tee hee:

Dear Jesus no!!! What's that you say Skippy??

A MASCOT!!!

Flaming Nora, today, a mascot. Tomorrow maroon tops and a Lithuanian owner.

It's a slippery slope, one that Rod would do well to avoid

:greengrin

DCI Gene Hunt
16-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Why get your breeks in such a twist over a mascot? As said before it's for the kids.

The Guv

PeterboroHibee
16-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Not a big fan of mascots at football but dont see why its such a problem, as people have said its a good thing for kids and if they enjoy it, dont see why that would annoy people?

biffo1875
16-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Why get your breeks in such a twist over a mascot? As said before it's for the kids.

The Guv

agree 100%:partyhibb

HibbyAndy
16-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Where's ma virtual buttons :hmmm:

bighairyfaeleith
16-08-2010, 02:36 PM
no that in to mascots, but does it really matter??????

Would the costume fit big nishy:greengrin

biffo1875
16-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Where's ma virtual buttons :hmmm:

all right mate how are things?what are the v buttons used for:confused:

Diclonius
16-08-2010, 02:44 PM
To settle the dispute. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
16-08-2010, 02:56 PM

I've wondered that as well

HibbyAndy
16-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Awrite Keith mate, Am good mate, same s hit different day..The virtual buttons are for betting mate:agree: Tho i think you need to be a private member like Moi :greengrin

Any bets the night ?

johnrebus
16-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Its a family thing, for goodness sake!

And stop that ****ing swearing ennaw.........,

(((Fergus)))
16-08-2010, 02:59 PM
It's the penulatimate piece of the jigsaw

http://www.toxic-web.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/blog/billie-piper-playboy-bingo-banana-splits.jpg

Wilson
16-08-2010, 03:00 PM
The kids should be there for the football. If they want to see pillocks prancing around in costumes take them to disney world. Mascots are a big no-no. Most of the kids don't bother with them and their tedious 'antics' bore the rest of us. Get them to f***.

marinello59
16-08-2010, 03:02 PM
People getting worked up over mascots? :faf:

Nakedmanoncrack
16-08-2010, 03:03 PM
The kids should be there for the football. If they want to see pillocks prancing around in costumes take them to disney world. Mascots are a big no-no. Most of the kids don't bother with them and their tedious 'antics' bore the rest of us. Get them to f***.

HibbyAndy
16-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Aken :hilarious

since90plustwo
16-08-2010, 03:10 PM

exactly, its for kids and they love him and it may attract more kids to games

lucky
16-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Its about time Hibs had one. The kids love them. Even better when they wind up away fans. Its meant to be entertainment.

gillythehibby
16-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Listen, once the kids have seen it once, the novelty is gone. Leave mascots like "heart Homo" tae that uncool mob along the road. Hibs are too cool for that sh*te

lyonhibs
16-08-2010, 03:21 PM
To be honest, if it was entirely up to me, I'd say no, because they would add nothing to the viewing spectacle for me.

As long as our mascot didn't fanny about battering other mascots, and just kept to entertaining the Hibee bairns, I'd have no problem with a Hibs mascot. Like I say, if the dude in the suit got too big for his boots and starts doing pre-game cartwheels in the centre circle, I'd be reaching for the high-powered rifle.

:devil:

Keith_M
16-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I bet Nish, Rankin, Smith and all the others that get it in the neck every week are lovin this. Maybe all the hatred will now be transferred to the mascot away from the players.

I can just see the complaints after Sunday. Yogi, what kind of formation were they mascots playin? There jist wisnae any link up! He should be on the left of the tunnel, no the right, ya pill*ck!

What are you people like? Get some Prosac, fur goodness sake

:faf:

Keith_M
16-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Where's the "who gives a stuff" option?

lEXO
16-08-2010, 03:53 PM
No. I cant stand mascots at the best of times, and always thought we wisely bucked the trend at the time other clubs were doing it.

MacBean
16-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Where's the "who gives a stuff" option?

dont care so long as the team do it on the park :thumbsup:

heretoday
16-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Only if we buy the excellent Wolfie from Wolves will I tolerate a mascot at ER.

Are kids still amused by mascots anyway? Surely they are too sophisticated nowadays.

Phil D. Rolls
16-08-2010, 04:11 PM
For every Sammy the Tammy, there's a six Hearty Harrys.

Given how apalling our half time entertainment is (anyone at the Maribor tie will know what I mean) the potential to really make an erchie of a mascot is far too great.

Besides, Yogi is a cuddly bear who is loved by everyone. Surely that's all we need, at least he gives it a right good go.

Frogga
16-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm not bothered by mascots myself either way but I do think that we should have one. I mean there must be a reason why about 4 out of 5 professional clubs have them and I doubt they will turn anyone away. However they will probably make the experience of some younger fans (and possibly some of the grown ups :wink:) a bit better and help to convince families that Easter Road is a family environment.

Hainan Hibs
16-08-2010, 04:16 PM
The atmosphere is already tame as **** at ER, having the teams run out while kids scream and jump about at a man dressed as a bear would have me reduced to tears.

francobaresi
16-08-2010, 04:17 PM
It's the penulatimate piece of the jigsaw

http://www.toxic-web.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/blog/billie-piper-playboy-bingo-banana-splits.jpg

I voted no, but if Fleegle, Bingo, Snorky or the other one were options then yes...

RIP
16-08-2010, 04:23 PM
How many of the 25% of Season Ticket holders who are 16 and under are you going to get voting? :greengrin

JimBHibees
16-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Its about time Hibs had one. The kids love them. Even better when they wind up away fans. Its meant to be entertainment.

Yep I think if you get the right person it could be hysterical. Can remember the Reading mascot seemed to be a bit of a character and he/she/it would join in goal celebrations, be rugby tackled by players etc.

Barney McGrew
16-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Yep I think if you get the right person it could be hysterical. Can remember the Reading mascot seemed to be a bit of a character and he/she/it would join in goal celebrations, be rugby tackled by players etc.

It wasn't a patch on Paisley Panda.

The boy in that costume was a total nutter :greengrin

Brizo
16-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Mascots gie me the total dry boak :grr:

Like playing music when gadgies score and selling fancy dan foreign stuff like pizzas from the catering huts its all part of the Americanisation of fitba.

I sometimes long for the days when funny looking animals were confined to Cartoon Cavalcade and the only fun you needed to have at the fitba was dodging flying darts and bottles.

Beefster
16-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Anyone disagee?

Aye, I do. If it keeps the kids happy, who gives a sh*t if some adults get their knickers in a twist about it?

What next? "How dare they twats start giving out napkins with the pies?"

marinello59
16-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Aye, I do. If it keeps the kids happy, who gives a sh*t if some adults get their knickers in a twist about it?

What next? "How dare they twats start giving out napkins with the pies?"

It's the thin end of the wedge. Mark my words. Next they'll be knocking down the old terracing and building some fancy dan new stand.:grr:

HibsMax
16-08-2010, 05:39 PM
The kids should be there for the football.
If all people should be concerned with is the football then might as well get rid of the concession stands....people should eat / drink before they get to the game.

If they want to see pillocks prancing around in costumes take them to disney world.
That's a much better idea, albeit a tiny bit more expensive and diverts revenue away from Hibs.

Mascots are a big no-no.
For you maybe.

Most of the kids don't bother with them and their tedious 'antics' bore the rest of us.
Care to share the results of your exhaustive survey?

I realise that you're probably just winding folks up (talking tongue in cheek - like I am here), but I really don't see the problem with mascots even though I couldn't care less about them myself. Any marketing plan that Hibs can put in place that keeps kids coming to the games seems like a worthy venture to me. And let's not forget that getting rid of the mascot would put someone out of a job. :wink:

EDIT : I think the mascot has to do more than just be there e.g., throw out free stuff to kids, photo opportunities, etc.

heretoday
16-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Mascots gie me the total dry boak :grr:

Like playing music when gadgies score and selling fancy dan foreign stuff like pizzas from the catering huts its all part of the Americanisation of fitba.

I sometimes long for the days when funny looking animals were confined to Cartoon Cavalcade and the only fun you needed to have at the fitba was dodging flying darts and bottles.

Ee lad them were grand days right enough. Terraces running with a cocktail of urine, blood and McEwans Pale Ale!

IWasThere2016
16-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm in favour personally - it is hardly offensive.

proud_and_green
16-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Peronally i think sunshine should be kept in storage apart from the Hibs kids xmas party. Mascots just make me cringe.

:top marks

Couldn't agree more. Always derided teams that have them I know this is a Hibs Kids thing, but please, please, please can we keep it in its place and nowhere near matchday!!!!

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Didn't we used to have a blond midfield footballer as a mascot? What was his name again? Brian...

Caversham Green
17-08-2010, 07:12 AM

:agree: I have to say Kingsley changed my mind about mascots. The kids all love him (as do a lot of the adults) and he is often very funny. Bairns can get bored as the game goes on (they don't understand the finer points of the game like us adults) and if a mascot can keep them amused and wanting to come back I'm all for it.

Wilson
17-08-2010, 08:37 AM
If all people should be concerned with is the football then might as well get rid of the concession stands....people should eat / drink before they get to the game.

Preaching to the choir there sir. Preaching to the choir.

That's a much better idea, albeit a tiny bit more expensive and diverts revenue away from Hibs.

Disney don't throw in a football game with their mascots and they don't have Deeks. Folk know where to come for their dutch stylee football. For their failed actor in lynx clothing they should go elsewhere.

I realise that you're probably just winding folks up (talking tongue in cheek - like I am here), but I really don't see the problem with mascots even though I couldn't care less about them myself. Any marketing plan that Hibs can put in place that keeps kids coming to the games seems like a worthy venture to me. And let's not forget that getting rid of the mascot would put someone out of a job. :wink:

EDIT : I think the mascot has to do more than just be there e.g., throw out free stuff to kids, photo opportunities, etc.

I'm just really down on them because I was assaulted by a womble growing up. You make some fair points. I am still a 'no' vote though.

CMac1988
17-08-2010, 08:47 AM
:agree: I have to say Kingsley changed my mind about mascots. The kids all love him (as do a lot of the adults) and he is often very funny. Bairns can get bored as the game goes on (they don't understand the finer points of the game like us adults) and if a mascot can keep them amused and wanting to come back I'm all for it.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/47422-confused-ref-sends-off-mascot

Any chance the ref posts on here?

Caversham Green
17-08-2010, 11:27 AM
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/47422-confused-ref-sends-off-mascot

Any chance the ref posts on here?

I loved Stevie Coppell's comment on that - delivered totally deadpan in the usual Coppell style.

Kingsley's wound up quite a few refs and opposition players over the years.

ArabHibee
17-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm just really down on them because I was assaulted by a womble growing up. You make some fair points. I am still a 'no' vote though.

On Wimbledon Common?

.Whitey.
17-08-2010, 12:49 PM
im not to bothered to be honest. If there was an option i would rather have some tidy cheerleaders instead tho :agree: