PDA

View Full Version : I dare anyone to defend that... (merged threads)

3pm
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Utter garbage.

MountcastleHibs
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
There can be no defence. Everyone can see the problems bar our 'manager'.

hibee bouncer
05-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I'll try...............nope, got F all!

bighairyfaeleith
05-08-2010, 08:23 PM
If Hughes doesn't resign now ill be ****ing raging

persevere1875
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok as a Yogi happy clapper, I'd just like to say :hide: Nuff said

Hibs90
05-08-2010, 08:27 PM
They could beat anyone in the SPL outside the OF pretty easily IMO. Really good team. Saying that we were ***** over the two legs.

bighairyfaeleith
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think they were that good

BarneyBreslin
05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
They could beat anyone in the SPL outside the OF pretty easily IMO. Really good team. Saying that we were ***** over the two legs.

What about the previous 20 games? We were **** for the majority of them an aw.

Hibs90
05-08-2010, 08:35 PM
What about the previous 20 games? We were **** for the majority of them an aw.

Aye I know. Not good enough and Hughes should go to be honest.

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM

We'll see how they get on in the next round.

Sweep
05-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Disgusting. :grr::grr::grr:

hibees707070
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
The lot of you gave me abuse for sayng the same last week but division 1 here we come! Yogi is a disgrace no width no nothing! The guy doesn't learn from his mistakes we will get ripped apart next season! Unfortunately I won't be back till yogi is out! Spent more money on 1 game last week than I did on my season ticket, it's actually embarassing!

BarneyBreslin
05-08-2010, 08:46 PM
The lot of you gave me abuse for sayng the same last week but division 1 here we come! Yogi is a disgrace no width no nothing! The guy doesn't learn from his mistakes we will get ripped apart next season! Unfortunately I won't be back till yogi is out! Spent more money on 1 game last week than I did on my season ticket, it's actually embarassing!

Must have been typing in my sleep, canna mind that.

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Utter garbage.

Nope - the only garbage is the arrogance of so-called Hibernian supporters who believe that some Euro results 40 or more years ago mean we have some sort of birthright to beat well organised, better funded and more talented football clubs.

The reality is that UK football is going backwards while the rest of the world is going forwards.

Instead of spouting pish, instead you should perhaps be congratulating Motherwell on making it four Scottish clubs in Europe - and hopefully with a decent draw we might actually start raising our coefficient again.

We reaped tonight (and last week) the results of several years of underachievement by Scottish clubs with a difficult draw and the years of criminal underinvestment in the club (on and off the pitch) that has meant we have gone from almost certain to euro participant to bit part players.

What we need is to start qualifying more often than not, learning the tricks of the trade at this level and developing players and management that understand what is needed at this level.

i actually thought Hughes set the team up on both ties the right way and we were undone by naivety/inexperience and a combination of lack of bad luck away from home and poor defending at ER.

It's clear we are a few players short (including a centre half and consistently fit and reliable goalkeeper) from the finished article, but De Graff and Hart look good (and sensible) additions and not losing the talent up front is a bonus (probably down to the half a mill we've got from Fletcher's sell-on)

Leitherhibs
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Yogi out.

Bostonhibby
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I dare anyone to defend that...
Utter garbage.

Here goes.........
Well the English guy on Hibs TV seemed to think we were marvellous :offski:

hibees707070
05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Barney to be fair mate don't think you were 1 of them! Liberal I support hibs not Scottish football embarassed that motherwell have got further than us!

Bad Martini
05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Nope - the only garbage is the arrogance of so-called Hibernian supporters who believe that some Euro results 40 or more years ago mean we have some sort of birthright to beat well organised, better funded and more talented football clubs.

The reality is that UK football is going backwards while the rest of the world is going forwards.

Instead of spouting pish, instead you should perhaps be congratulating Motherwell on making it four Scottish clubs in Europe - and hopefully with a decent draw we might actually start raising our coefficient again.

We reaped tonight (and last week) the results of several years of underachievement by Scottish clubs with a difficult draw and the years of criminal underinvestment in the club (on and off the pitch) that has meant we have gone from almost certain to euro participant to bit part players.

What we need is to start qualifying more often than not, learning the tricks of the trade at this level and developing players and management that understand what is needed at this level.

i actually thought Hughes set the team up on both ties the right way and we were undone by naivety/inexperience and a combination of lack of bad luck away from home and poor defending at ER.

It's clear we are a few players short (including a centre half and consistently fit and reliable goalkeeper) from the finished article, but De Graff and Hart look good (and sensible) additions and not losing the talent up front is a bonus (probably down to the half a mill we've got from Fletcher's sell-on)

I agree with lots of this.

However, Hughes ****ed it up lst week with the wrong team, wrong tactics and no changes made.

When this team (who ARE better than us in european pedigree in most other ways right now) come over here, they didnt finish us quite as easily as they could and should ... reason being we were set up differently with a different team. Not much else changed.

Agree Scottish fitba is *****. Tht much was never under dispute.

However, on this game, we COULD have taken the TIE to pens IF we'd not ****ed it up so much over the water last week.

hibees707070
05-08-2010, 08:51 PM
The more I read of your post liberal the more I think you are at the wind up! You must be a Jambo!

BarneyBreslin
05-08-2010, 08:54 PM

I'll say it again, what about the previous 20 games against domestic opposition?

Ritchie
05-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Seriously!!!

Narrow narrow narrow!!!

We have got a brand new wide pitch but the only player playing wide is our full backs.

Another tactical **** up by the great yogi!!

Everyone could see again it wasn't working but he doesn't know how to change it.

We have a better squad than Motherwell IMO but they still can handle European football unlike us.... Why??? Cause they have a manger who knows football!

Yogi GTF!!!

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll say it again, what about the previous 20 games against domestic opposition?

I can't be arsed to work it out, but that probably takes us back to about November of last year.

You simply cannot go forward chopping and changing you manager every 18 months - it never works.

Hughes has a tough enough job lifting the team for the opening fixture without external pressure from fans for his head.

I was not a fan of his appointment - but I can see signs of progress from both him and the team. You never know this year we might even get a win in Inverness.

Houchy
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM

I tried replying to this earlier but can't see it anywhere. They were nowhere near as good as united and u reckon they were about 6th place standard in our league. It pains me to say it as I've met yogi a few times:confused: and he's a lovely bloke but he just can't cut it.
He waited until we were 3-1 down before he made changes and even then played Galbraith at left back.
You have to be having a laugh ya ****in bafoon!!!
If your cick can touch your arse, go f*** yourself ya waste of space.
Being a leither might mean your family could build a ship but you certainly can't build a defence!!!

**** off. I appologise but I can't even bring myself to try and get round the swear filter.

Ritchie
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I can't be arsed to work it out, but that probably takes us back to about November of last year.

You simply cannot go forward chopping and changing you manager every 18 months - it never works.

Hughes has a tough enough job lifting the team for the opening fixture without external pressure from fans for his head.

I was not a fan of his appointment - but I can see signs of progress from both him and the team. You never know this year we might even get a win in Inverness.

Don't be ridiculous... The improvement was in the first half of last season.... Not because yogi is a genius... Because Hibs were an unknown quantity with the new squad and management.

Because yogi doesn't know how to Change his tactics however, every team realised hibs were beatable and so our crap second half of the season began.

Yogi GTF.

Ray_
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Progress??? We may be getting better players in but we are going backwards in terms of the quality of the football that we are being served. As far as the results of forty years ago, our standard of play and players were far higher then than they are now, we have gone seriously backwards, much more than the opposition getting better.

SRHibs
05-08-2010, 09:05 PM

I can't speak for the rest of the Hibs fans, but I wasn't expectant because of results from the past, but because we ARE a bigger club than Maribor. We don't have a God-given right to be beating teams like that, no. And fair enough, recently they've performed better than us in Europe. But there's no way we should be shipping 6 goals against a team like Maribor, absolutely NO WAY. The Yams put in a better effort against a Zagreb side last year, who, in my opinion, were a far better team than Maribor.

The reality is that UK football is going backwards while the rest of the world is going forwards.No argument here really. It's plain for everyone to see unfortunately.

Instead of spouting pish, instead you should perhaps be congratulating Motherwell on making it four Scottish clubs in Europe - and hopefully with a decent draw we might actually start raising our coefficient again.This is a Hibs board; fans are obviously going to be more interested in the fact that we just got absolutely humped out of Europe. Good on Motherwell, but I really couldn't care less about them at the moment.

We reaped tonight (and last week) the results of several years of underachievement by Scottish clubs with a difficult draw and the years of criminal underinvestment in the club (on and off the pitch) that has meant we have gone from almost certain to euro participant to bit part players.We were seeded.:confused: So I can't really see how this draw was caused by 'several years of underachievement by Scottish clubs'.
We probably got a tad unlucky drawing such a decent unseeded team in all honesty.
I also don't believe the result was due to the lack of investment in the team either. Man for man, we have more quality than Maribor(in my opinion of course). So the loss was caused by a combination of poor tactics, inexperience, lack of preparedness and just a general spineless performance by the team.

What we need is to start qualifying more often than not, learning the tricks of the trade at this level and developing players and management that understand what is needed at this level.Yup, but in order for this to happen, I think we need a manager capable of getting us into Europe every season. Hughes isn't the man for the job.

i actually thought Hughes set the team up on both ties the right way and we were undone by naivety/inexperience and a combination of lack of bad luck away from home and poor defending at ER.I can't possibly understand how anyone could think he set up the right way in the last game? We should've played to our strengths; it's as simple as that. The decision to leave Stokes and Riordan on the bench in the 1st leg was absolutely criminal, and in my mind cost us the entire fixture.
There was absolutely no way in hell we were going to be able to last 90 minutes at 0-0, with a plan that involved us sitting back and soaking up the pressure. Mistakes were obviously going to happen.

It's clear we are a few players short (including a centre half and consistently fit and reliable goalkeeper) from the finished article, but De Graff and Hart look good (and sensible) additions and not losing the talent up front is a bonus (probably down to the half a mill we've got from Fletcher's sell-on)The thing is, we can all see that it's clearly obvious that we need a central defender, but I really can't see Yogi dropping Hogg anytime in the near future.:boo hoo:
If Bamba goes, we're going to have a real problem.

Ritchie
05-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Seriously?????

Not a chance to be honest, I just think we've got that bad that we'll be bottom half this season

Barman Stanton
05-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure what improvement you are seeing. We look no better than we did under Mixu yet we have better players.

Bad Martini
05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure what improvement you are seeing. We look no better than we did under Mixu yet we have better players.

:agree:

Have to agree wi Albert. Not ideal to kick anyone when they're doon but we're no headin the right way (and thats comin from beyond just this or the last game).

scotia44
05-08-2010, 09:09 PM

:top marks
Could not agree more wish more would realise its not all yogi's fault we just aint that good that we think we can turn up and turn johnny foreigner over after giving them 3 goals of a start and I also think they would beat the majority if not all the SPL over a season no bother :agree:

Mili Tant
05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
"I was not a fan of his appointment - but I can see signs of progress from both him and the team".

The improvement being - a 6-2 european defeat by a mediocore side? A 6-6 draw with Motherwell? Being unable to beat the worst Hearts team in years?

YOGI MUST GO NOW AND TAKE MOST OF THE 2nd rate players with him to Stranraer, Brechin or wherever.

Steve20
05-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Hughes set up right in both ties??? How much have you had to drink??

As for the only garbage is the "so called Hibernian supporters"??? Yeah, lets blame the people who spend their money to come and watch that absolute garbage that our poor excuse for a manager puts out.

We have been utter tripe since January and there are no signs it will get better

skipster7
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM

pretty much spot on mate,they looked like a well organised team with european experience with good movement of the ball & hunted in packs when we had it.we looked like novices in comparison.the crowd were getting on at the defence for square balls when it was most of the midfield and strikers who were hiding leaving Nish as our ONLY out ball.we do have talented players but with a couple of exeptions the movement off the ball is woeful:bitchy:

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
"I was not a fan of his appointment - but I can see signs of progress from both him and the team".

The improvement being - a 6-2 european defeat by a mediocore side? A 6-6 draw with Motherwell? Being unable to beat the worst Hearts team in years?

YOGI MUST GO NOW AND TAKE MOST OF THE 2nd rate players with him to Stranraer, Brechin or wherever.

I was under the impression the reason Mixu was sacked was that he promised less passing football and more route one. Hughes is committed to passing football and from what I saw (and heard) of the Maribor games we certainly tried to pass the ball.

That's progress.

Hughes has clearly signed a couple of decent players that address some of the weaknesses apparent from last season. It's a shame that Stack is so injury prone that we really now need a new no1 keeper (and that Maka got hounded by a minority of fans that he lost all confidence). But my view is that we'll be more robust in midfield (in particular) than last year.

We need to strengthen the defence, but I guess that is rather dependent on selling Bamba.

So yes signs of progress - but we won't really know until the domestic season starts.

Obviously if we fail to make the top six the board will look at the manager's position - but other than that Hughes is here for the next season - and probably beyond.

ForeverHibs93
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I was under the impression the reason Mixu was sacked was that he promised less passing football and more route one. Hughes is committed to passing football and from what I saw (and heard) of the Maribor games we certainly tried to pass the ball.

That's progress.

Hughes has clearly signed a couple of decent players that address some of the weaknesses apparent from last season. It's a shame that Stack is so injury prone that we really now need a new no1 keeper (and that Maka got hounded by a minority of fans that he lost all confidence). But my view is that we'll be more robust in midfield (in particular) than last year.

We need to strengthen the defence, but I guess that is rather dependent on selling Bamba.

So yes signs of progress - but we won't really know until the domestic season starts.

Obviously if we fail to make the top six the board will look at the manager's position - but other than that Hughes is here for the next season - and probably beyond.
Tried to pass the ball? no chance it was route one to nish almost every time, strikers running away from midfield, midfielders running away from defenders. Abysmal performance. If we play the long ball we need a target man who can hold the ball up and win it in the air nish does both very rarely.

steviecarnie
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
All ive got to say is - I've seen more width in a 1 on 1 game of long bangers - shocking!! and then to take off the only players who actually gave us were trying to give us width and replace them like for like which is criminal. Absolutely no clue

Mili Tant
05-08-2010, 09:42 PM
That's progress.

If "passing football" means hoofing the ball forward to the worst centre forward in recent memory then you can keep it. We have a new and wider pitch that our manager totally ignored, persisting with long balls from the back at the expense of any type of wide play that young Galbraith might have provided. If YOGI'S answer is Nish - the who the **** asked the question?

hibeemad
05-08-2010, 09:44 PM

utter pish

3pm
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Can I apologise for this thread? I posted it at 3-1, had I known it was going to finish 3-2 I wouldn't have been so hasty.

down the slope
05-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Thank you Yogi's agent, utter garbage from last January and the team has gone backwards, look what Grandpaw Broon has done on a shoestring at Motherwell as an example of what can be done when you have half a clue-Hughes has none.

ForeverHibs93
05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Can I apologise for this thread? I posted it at 3-1, had I known it was going to finish 3-2 I wouldn't have been so hasty.
:faf:

skipster7
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
All ive got to say is - I've seen more width in a 1 on 1 game of long bangers - shocking!! and then to take off the only players who actually gave us were trying to give us width and replace them like for like which is criminal. Absolutely no clue

spoony done more in 15 mins going forward than hart had and murray hasn't got the legs to overlap riordan :confused:

scoopyboy
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Outplayed over two legs and Hughes hopeless with selections / tactics over 180 minutes.

What I will say though is we wont play a better team this season.

HIBEETILLIDIE
05-08-2010, 09:54 PM

the only thing we are reaping right now is the reult of our chairman failing to back our manager 3 years ago, when the pansies were complaining about the training regime.
We have one of the top 3 training facilities in the country, yet since it opened i have yet to see any player in a Hibs top who is not knackered with over half the second half to go, christ some are knackered after 25minutes!
we need a no nonsense task manager in there who will get these lazy ba**ard* fit, not some forty something, who wants to be the players mate. i want a manager who will get the respect of the players by being a right ba**ard when he has to be, just like Ferguson, Smith and like one of our own Turnbull!

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
utter pish

Thanks for your reasoned response...

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you Yogi's agent, utter garbage from last January and the team has gone backwards, look what Grandpaw Broon has done on a shoestring at Motherwell as an example of what can be done when you have half a clue-Hughes has none.

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
the only thing we are reaping right now is the reult of our chairman failing to back our manager 3 years ago, when the pansies were complaining about the training regime.
We have one of the top 3 training facilities in the country, yet since it opened i have yet to see any player in a Hibs top who is not knackered with over half the second half to go, christ some are knackered after 25minutes!
we need a no nonsense task manager in there who will get these lazy ba**ard* fit, not some forty something, who wants to be the players mate. i want a manager who will get the respect of the players by being a right ba**ard when he has to be, just like Ferguson, Smith and like one of our own Turnbull!

And where were we in the league three years ago?

Hibee Hibernian
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I've been scratching my head for three or four month now!
what is it i say?
no-one knows

1 yogi?
2 players?
3 fans?

:grr: If i had a magic wand i'd wave it....

hibeemad
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM

your welcome

hibees707070
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Liberal away back to your jambos board pal the wind up has worked! Over 500 quid watching that pish already this season(not including season ticket) anyone that can defend that clown is obviously a Jambo or had to much to drink!

Hibee Hibernian
05-08-2010, 10:02 PM
John Hughes is a great guy - but i honestly think the the Hibs job is too big for him..

But there again who else is there?:agree:

TowerHibs
05-08-2010, 10:06 PM

This is 2 posts tonight that I've agreed with you

You fancy a night cap.......:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Outplayed over two legs and Hughes hopeless with selections / tactics over 180 minutes.

What I will say though is we wont play a better team this season.

Correct :agree:

Passing, movement, good football team.

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Liberal away back to your jambos board pal the wind up has worked! Over 500 quid watching that pish already this season(not including season ticket) anyone that can defend that clown is obviously a Jambo or had to much to drink!

A fool and his money are easily parted...

RickyS
05-08-2010, 10:25 PM
John Hughes is a great guy - but i honestly think the the Hibs job is too big for him..

But there again who else is there?:agree:

Paw Broon is working without a contract at Well, he has worked wonders there. He makes average players play above themselves, our gaffer makes good players look utter pish.

RickyS
05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
A fool and his money are easily parted...
:bitchy: bit harsh. so anyone who followed hibs to slovenia is a fool?

DaveF
05-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Tonight was my 1st game of the new season and I didn't think it was that bad. OK, there are mediocre players in the team and the debate and discussion around them has been done to death. I gather Nish and Hogg have already been pinned for tonight result, aye?

This was a game where we had to score first to even have a slim chance. Had De Graaf hit his shot either side of the keeper we'd have been 1-0 up rather than 1-0 down and then it may have been different. Maybe not, but maybe so....

The team and the manager has problems and I hope they are sorted soon, but a bigger problem is the utterly fickle nature of some called fans. I heard lots of abuse and very little support from around me tonight and my son wanted to leave early due to the over exuberant swearing - hardly the sort of thing likely to encourage me to take the next generation of Hibs fan to ER :rolleyes:

Hughes was slated last week for his line up and now he's been slated again. Some of you just live for the chance to put the boot in IMO.

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
:bitchy: bit harsh. so anyone who followed hibs to slovenia is a fool?

No - anyone who went to Slovenia should have had a great time regardless of the result.

RickyS
05-08-2010, 10:53 PM
No - anyone who went to Slovenia should have had a great time regardless of the result.

ah, fair enough. never thought of it that way.

Purehibee_MYB
05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Hughes did not get his tactics right...AT ALL...his tactics for tonights match were not completely wrong although he should have urged his players to play wider...but in truth this tie was lost last week when Hughes decided to leave two of our best players and best goal scorers on the bench...
He wanted an away goal to bring to Easter road, yet Stokes and Riordan were sat on the bench for a good section of the match...That is not good tactics, and I don't know whether it was some crazy idea that he wanted to try where all the fans would think "What the hell is he doing?" and then expect it to pay off, because it effectively was the decision which has kicked us out of europe... we could have beaten Maribor, I have no doubt...

Therefore I am slowly coming round to the idea that Yogi should go...and I have been one of the ones saying give him a chance but I've had enough.. He's out of ideas and nothing has changed since the start of January... I believe he should be given the first 2 games of the season, see how he does and then if STILL nothing has changed, he should be gone...

I am not a negative fan, I have just had enough of an underachieving Hibs

Liberal Hibby
05-08-2010, 11:27 PM
He wanted an away goal to bring to Easter road, yet Stokes and Riordan were sat on the bench for a good section of the match...That is not good tactics, and I don't know whether it was some crazy idea that he wanted to try where all the fans would think "What the hell is he doing?" and then expect it to pay off, because it effectively was the decision which has kicked us out of europe... we could have beaten Maribor, I have no doubt...

Really? I read his tactical decision of playing 4-5-1 was to get out of Slovenia with a 0-0, 1-0 or 2-0 result (just like McLeish in Athens) and bring the tie back to ER where it might remain competitative and we'd be a week match fitter.

That decision told me that a young, inexperienced manager like Hughes has some tactical nous - playing 4-3-3 with the two darlings would have been a suicide mission.

The fact it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong thing to do. What it means is we have to qualify for Europe this year so the team and manager can get more experience so we learn from our mistakes as soon as possible - another five years before Euro qualifying will mean a different team and manager.

Purehibee_MYB
05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Really? I read his tactical decision of playing 4-5-1 was to get out of Slovenia with a 0-0, 1-0 or 2-0 result (just like McLeish in Athens) and bring the tie back to ER where it might remain competitative and we'd be a week match fitter.

That decision told me that a young, inexperienced manager like Hughes has some tactical nous - playing 4-3-3 with the two darlings would have been a suicide mission.

The fact it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong thing to do. What it means is we have to qualify for Europe this year so the team and manager can get more experience so we learn from our mistakes as soon as possible - another five years before Euro qualifying will mean a different team and manager.

We clearly read different things because I read in an interview with the Daily Record that he wanted a scoring draw... and I would never suggest a 4-3-3...but why not 4-4-2 with Riordan on the wing ...or even just leave one of them on the bench...but never both of them surely... I am not one of the guys who have been calling for him to go for ages, but now I can't see anything changing....

Hibby 2005
05-08-2010, 11:53 PM

Repeat after me, away goals count double, away goals count double. etc. etc. McLeish got humped too away from home.

Saorsa
06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
There can be no defence. Everyone can see the problems bar our 'manager'.I think most can see the problem is the manager but some will still defend him, particularly some who slated Mixu who was certainly nae worse.

CapitalHibs
06-08-2010, 01:00 AM

Problem is, if a future Hibs manager was to get even a small modicum of success it would probably be a case of: "I'm here as long as I'm wanted" (trademark A. McLeish) or "unfinished business" (trademark T. Mowbray) ...and we'd be back where we started.

Liberal Hibby
06-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Repeat after me, away goals count double, away goals count double. etc. etc. McLeish got humped too away from home.

No they don't. And no he didn't.

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 01:08 AM

It showed me he was found wanting in the old tactics department last week. Playing 4-5-1 was a suicide mission.

TariqE
06-08-2010, 01:14 AM
:top marks
Could not agree more wish more would realise its not all yogi's fault we just aint that good that we think we can turn up and turn johnny foreigner over after giving them 3 goals of a start and I also think they would beat the majority if not all the SPL over a season no bother :agree:

WTF? For real? I mean, really?

Do you honestly think that people are pissed of because we couldn't overturn a 3-0 scoreline?

It's the performance, stupid.
Hughes displayed an extraordinary capacity for arrogant ineptitude tonight and thousands saw it clear as day. A narrow, through the middle, hoofballfest on quite possibly the largest pitch I have ever seen. ZERO width ergo nowhere for the fullbacks to go.

I honestly thought, with about 60 minutes gone, that he (Hughes) actually saw it- he could see what the fans in the stand were screaming at him (no width, too narrow). He brought on Galbraith and Wotherspoon (yes! width!).........for Murray and Hart.....WTF?????

That's right, he took of our 2 full backs and put 2 wide midfield players in their place! (I accept that Wotherspoon can do it at RB but Galbraith is as much a full back as I am a contender for Miss World). So now the full backs have nowhere to go because there is noone in front of them, again! Only this time, the full backs are not full backs but wide midfielders masquerading as full backs! GENIUS!

Why did nobody else see this tactical masterstroke?? The pundits will talk about this for years to come.....

When a person persistently peddles in idiocy, we can safely call him an idiot. :agree:

John Hughes is an idiot. How a person can spend their life in a profession and not see the most obvious of problems like we displayed tonight is beyond a 90% faceless wonder like myself. :confused:

GTF Yogi. :bye:

Liberal Hibby
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
It showed me he was found wanting in the old tactics department last week. Playing 4-5-1 was a suicide mission.

Why?

And if you are right what would have been the best way to play the away leg?

There's been plenty of criticism of how Hughes and Hibs have approached these games, but precious little reasoned alternatives.

Care to enlighten us?

TariqE
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Why?

There's been plenty of criticism of how Hughes and Hibs have approached these games, but precious little reasoned alternatives.

Care to enlighten us?

You been keeping your ears shut? You've not heard anyone suggest an alternative to the untried 4-5-1 in the away leg? Nobody has mentioned that we perhaps should have played a 4-4-2 with some width in the middle? You've not read any post suggesting that a couple of players with over 40 goals between them last season should have started that game?

How much lighter do you want to get?

Your 'faith' displayed in a jambo, would be (rightfully) labelled 'delusion'.

truehibernian
06-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Why?

Care to enlighten us?

Why go to Ibrox and Parkhead and play 4-3-3 then ? Why, when asked, and when things were "going swimmingly", did he "ask the players what they wanted to play at Ibrox (1-1 game)......and they said "boss let's have a go at them" ????

Hughes is ignorant, a fool in a suit, and quite frankly, I would hope that the board see that after tonight, his tenure is over. There are conflicts and skirmishes behind the scenes, and the players treat him as he is......a joker and fool.

It will all come out in the wash as they say.........Hughes will waste the young talent that is there to be used and brought into the side (Booth, Smith, Currie, Welsh, etc etc etc). Has his favourites, sticks by them, causes unrest accordingly. The game could have been played on a pavement from a Hibs perspective tonight........the pitch could have been as wide as the Forth.....the ball still wouldn't have reached the wings.

Groundstaff are going to have an easy season of it.

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Why?

Care to enlighten us?

4-5-1 Failed and that led us onto tonight, the facts are we lost 3-0, you said in earlier post that a 4-3-3 would have been a suicide mission, whats that based on? I can easily say we would have won in Maribor then as you have no founding what so ever to say suicide mission as do I to say any other scoreline other than hindsight.

The critisim is correct as we are out so something in Maribor wasnt right if the job was to keep it tight.

truehibernian
06-08-2010, 01:37 AM
4-5-1 Failed and that led us onto tonight, the facts are we lost 3-0, you said in earlier post that a 4-3-3 would have been a suicide mission, whats that based on? I can easily say we would have won in Maribor then as you have no founding what so ever to say suicide mission as do I to say any other scoreline other than hindsight.

The critisim is correct as we are out so something in Maribor wasnt right if the job was to keep it tight.

Agree with you post Carsberg...........but Hamilton scored 4 against us, Saints 5.......Rangers 4 and 3..........Dundee Utd 4............the list as they say is endless !

Hughes, despite all our rants and rumblings, simply doesn't see it. His philosophy.......play our game, we will score more than you.

The results I posted above prove otherwise............he is and always will be, a poor football manager.

Craig Brown (much maligned)...........limited squad, limited resources..........got the national side to two major finals (due to knowledge, respect and guile). Takes a Motherwell side bereft of major players (from last season), to three clean sheets in four Euro ties.........there is a manager

vahibbie
06-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Why?

Care to enlighten us?

I'll give you credit, you certainly stick to your arguement.

Of course it's a load of p!sh but you defend it well.

Brizo
06-08-2010, 07:58 AM
The left back passes the ball to the centre half who passes it to the right back who passes it to a midfielder
who passes it to another midfielder who passes it back to a defender who .... hoofs it up the park straight to a Maribor player. If thats ball retention then its consistently wasted ball retention.

Contrast that to Maribor who moved the ball forward quickly with pace. Yes they were the better team than us and technique wise they all had a good first touch whereas certain of ours dont have a third touch. But they werent top class and it will be interesting to see how they fare if they draw a big name in the next round. Our downfall last night was partly due to being beaten by a better far more technically adept team but part of our downfall over the two legs must lie with Yogi. Weve apparently widened the pitch to I assume give us more width but last night until the two subs came on there was no one playing wide right in front of Hart and everything was still far far too narrow.

Yogi will continue to :blah::blah::blah: but its all talk with little or no tangible substance on the park. And there hasnt been forthe whole of 2010 to date. After backing him till at least Christmas , last nights convinced me he has to go now.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-08-2010, 08:10 AM
WTF? For real? I mean, really?

Do you honestly think that people are pissed of because we couldn't overturn a 3-0 scoreline?

It's the performance, stupid.
Hughes displayed an extraordinary capacity for arrogant ineptitude tonight and thousands saw it clear as day. A narrow, through the middle, hoofballfest on quite possibly the largest pitch I have ever seen. ZERO width ergo nowhere for the fullbacks to go.

I honestly thought, with about 60 minutes gone, that he (Hughes) actually saw it- he could see what the fans in the stand were screaming at him (no width, too narrow). He brought on Galbraith and Wotherspoon (yes! width!).........for Murray and Hart.....WTF?????

That's right, he took of our 2 full backs and put 2 wide midfield players in their place! (I accept that Wotherspoon can do it at RB but Galbraith is as much a full back as I am a contender for Miss World). So now the full backs have nowhere to go because there is noone in front of them, again! Only this time, the full backs are not full backs but wide midfielders masquerading as full backs! GENIUS!

Why did nobody else see this tactical masterstroke?? The pundits will talk about this for years to come.....

When a person persistently peddles in idiocy, we can safely call him an idiot. :agree:

John Hughes is an idiot. How a person can spend their life in a profession and not see the most obvious of problems like we displayed tonight is beyond a 90% faceless wonder like myself. :confused:

GTF Yogi. :bye:

So in between foaming at the mouth will ill thought-out BS, are you annoyed at Yogi because he doesnt/cant/wont make changes which is being levelled against him by plenty?

Or are you annoyed because he did make changes?

Taking off your left back for a winger when you are trying to win a game is hardly stupid, particularly when the alternative is to take off Riordan (cue WTF is he taking off our best goalscorer for slaggings)

The fact is that most people (not all) who are slagging him off are going off on incoherent rants because they are frustrated at losing and because Petrie is no longer the de facto fall guy and Rankin wanst playing. If Yogi's detractors cant even decide why they dont like him (too many changes, not enough changes, no width, bringing on two wingers, too much passing, not enough passing and too much hoofball, playing 1 up front, playing 2 up front yadda yadda).

Yogi is a decent manager, hes not brilliant, hes not rubbish - he makes mistakes, of course, but the simple fact is he led us to 4th in our first season - not bad going.

I think he deserves to be judged on this season - if, and thats a big if, we carry on our poor form from last season, then fair enough i think people will be right to start questioning him, but as things stand he has been pretty successful in the job.

Just because armchair managers who like to rant on a messageboard keep repeating that something was wrong does not make it so - the team was set up right over there, i didnt agree with the personnel, but who is to say im right?

And the Hibby martyrs who are now moaning that they are due some sort of special treatment because they 'forked out' X to go over there and deserved to see better - what a load of rubbish - You chose to spend that money knowing that there was a good chance we would get beat - stop moaning like Hibs owe you something, man up and take responsibility for your decision.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
You been keeping your ears shut? You've not heard anyone suggest an alternative to the untried 4-5-1 in the away leg? Nobody has mentioned that we perhaps should have played a 4-4-2 with some width in the middle? You've not read any post suggesting that a couple of players with over 40 goals between them last season should have started that game?

How much lighter do you want to get?

Your 'faith' displayed in a jambo, would be (rightfully) labelled 'delusion'.

Beefster
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM

I'm trying not to rise to the folk whose experience of Hughes largely extends to radio and TV but it never works. I'm sorry but Hughes is 45 and has been a manager for the past 7+ years. He's older than Mowbray, Mixu, McLeish, Collins, Miller, Duffy and Williamson were when they left Hibs. The 'young, inexperienced manager' description doesn't fit any more.

By contrast, the Maribor coach is 42 and has been a coach for less time.

Edit: Miller was actually year or two older but the point stands.

Hibs On Tour
06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Tonight was my 1st game of the new season and I didn't think it was that bad. OK, there are mediocre players in the team and the debate and discussion around them has been done to death. I gather Nish and Hogg have already been pinned for tonight result, aye?

This was a game where we had to score first to even have a slim chance. Had De Graaf hit his shot either side of the keeper we'd have been 1-0 up rather than 1-0 down and then it may have been different. Maybe not, but maybe so....

The team and the manager has problems and I hope they are sorted soon, but a bigger problem is the utterly fickle nature of some called fans. I heard lots of abuse and very little support from around me tonight and my son wanted to leave early due to the over exuberant swearing - hardly the sort of thing likely to encourage me to take the next generation of Hibs fan to ER :rolleyes:

Hughes was slated last week for his line up and now he's been slated again. Some of you just live for the chance to put the boot in IMO.

Agree 100%. Some people seem to almost explode when we get beat as if the very idea is unthinkable. :bitchy:

For me, and I *know* this isn't the populist view, he set the team and tactics up OK for both legs. Yes, it went wrong but IMHO that wasn't down to either the tactics or the team that he started either leg with. Over there they scored two individual peaches of a finish that weren't down to either tactics or team. Here, we had to go all out for the first goal and looked the more likely until our soft defence did its usual. Once that goal went in the tie was effectively over and all the players knew it too - hard to motivate them to play as hard, run as fast in those circumstances regardless of how many feathers that may get some of you spitting. This is the real world people.

Yes, there are problems and yes some of them are Yogi's. Hogg clearly isn't cutting it, Smith seems scared of his own shadow [as opposed to Stack who I think is pretty good] and last night Nish was just abysmal [and I say that as someone who has consistantly backed him to do a job for us [albeit somewhat limited and for use in certain circumstances only]. Murray was poor last night as was Miller, or perhaps I should say poor compared to their usual excellent performances. Just a shame their off-nights coincided with when we really needed them to stand up and be counted as our better, more experienced players. Yogi still looks short of any kind of a 'Plan B' if the pretty football isn't working - there is still no sign of our being able to grind out results when we need to.

We aren't going to get anywhere by rotating managers every two years and for me, Yogi has at least more plus points than negatives thus far. If he can get himself past only trying to get the team playing one way and address the personnel [we need another CH and perhaps a LB] then we aren't a million miles away.

Somehow I doubt he'll be given the space and time from the majority of the support to achieve that however. And if a new guy comes in they then start from scratch again. For me, better continuing with the improvements to the team and give Yogi the chance to find a 'Plan B'. If he hasn't by the end of this season, fair do's but way way early doors to be talking about binning him.

And as for talk of bottom six finishes... please! Wind yer necks in and get some perspective here! :bitchy:

TariqE
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
So in between foaming at the mouth will ill thought-out BS, are you annoyed at Yogi because he doesnt/cant/wont make changes which is being levelled against him by plenty?

I'm annoyed at the way he setup the team initially. There was no width in the midfield, which meant that there was no outlet for the back four, hence we get the hoofball described elsewhere. The most annoying aspect of this, is that we've been here for quite some time and nothing seems to change or be learned from this.

Or are you annoyed because he did make changes?

When the changes were announced, I was delighted to see Wotherspoon and Galbraith on the touchline. I thought 'great! he's seen the problem and he's addressing this' (I should point out that in no way did I think that the tie was salvagable- there was just too much of a mountain to climb by then).

I thought we might actually change our shape, and put in a decent performance for the rest of the game.

But he didn't change the shape- he kept the same shape and simply asked our new left full back to get forward more. Without any cover from left midfield because we were not playing with a left midfielder.

Taking off your left back for a winger when you are trying to win a game is hardly stupid, particularly when the alternative is to take off Riordan (cue WTF is he taking off our best goalscorer for slaggings)

Correct, it's not stupid, when you're playing a 4-4-2 and actually have some width to the team. We weren't and we didn't.

No, no no! The alternative was to take off Nish and McBride and replace them with Wotherspoon and Galbraith, and change the shape to 4-4-2, with the 2 subs trying to get forward

The fact is that most people (not all) who are slagging him off are going off on incoherent rants because they are frustrated at losing and because Petrie is no longer the de facto fall guy and Rankin wanst playing. If Yogi's detractors cant even decide why they dont like him (too many changes, not enough changes, no width, bringing on two wingers, too much passing, not enough passing and too much hoofball, playing 1 up front, playing 2 up front yadda yadda).

Not true. The fact is that most people (not all) are slagging him off (incoherently or otherwise) because they are frustrated at the results and performances over several months. Petrie's done his bit by backing his signings (which on the whole I'm fairly happy with) and leaving Rankin out (which is a break from Yogi's normal setup) was something that he got right last night.

Yogi's detractors CAN decide why they don't like him- he lacks tactical awareness, has no plan B (he cannot change a game) and his plan A is consistently poor. Yogi has not learned anything from our consistently poor performances. As for the passing too much too little- that actually makes sense- it's clear he wants to retain the ball in defence and pass it forward, but the system he has set up doesn't allow that to happen, resulting in a hoof out of defence after passing it about at the back.

Yogi is a decent manager, hes not brilliant, hes not rubbish - he makes mistakes, of course, but the simple fact is he led us to 4th in our first season - not bad going.

Unless Yogi learnes from his mistakes (so far he hasn't), then he is indeed a rubbish manager. Our 4th place finish was fortunate and was obtained through results gained in the 1st half of last season. Since then we've been very poor and no progress has been made nor any real attempt made to change it.

I think he deserves to be judged on this season - if, and thats a big if, we carry on our poor form from last season, then fair enough i think people will be right to start questioning him, but as things stand he has been pretty successful in the job.

I think he deserves to be judged on the results and performances since January.

Just because armchair managers who like to rant on a messageboard keep repeating that something was wrong does not make it so - the team was set up right over there, i didnt agree with the personnel, but who is to say im right?

Correct, but witnessing inept performance after inept performance with glaring tactical errors has demonstrated to thousands of fans that something is quite definately wrong.

I didn't see the game over there, but my beef is more about the lack of progress in the past six months.

And the Hibby martyrs who are now moaning that they are due some sort of special treatment because they 'forked out' X to go over there and deserved to see better - what a load of rubbish - You chose to spend that money knowing that there was a good chance we would get beat - stop moaning like Hibs owe you something, man up and take responsibility for your decision.

Pay your money, take your chance. It might have turned out much better for those fans who made the trip.

As for taking responsibility for decisions- that's something I'd like to see from Hughes, something which he consistently fails to deliver.

When I say width in the middle, I'm talking about our midfield. Some width in the midfield . There. That's easier for you to understand.

Devine
06-08-2010, 09:51 AM
No matter what level of football you play at you MUST play a formation that suits the players at your disposal and the conditions your playing in. Yogi has shown time and again that he has no clue how to mould tactics/formations to suit the above. All this football philosophy nonsense that he spouts is embarassing. He talks about playing the dutch way you've got to laugh all we did was hit that big huddy up the front at any opportunity. Clueless

deeks01
06-08-2010, 11:54 AM
what i can't defend is the stewards , went to go in and was told no as I'd had a drink in me , fair enough you may say but there were guys falling up the stairs and still getting in , asked politely why they had been allowed in i was told "**** off ya weegie prick" , enough said really.

Also the hibs fan who went daft at me after he knocked my beer over , now surely if anyone had been angered it would have been me? no , while i laughed about it the guy started giving me abuse so i told him "calm down" at which point a crowd of his mates got involved and started slinging the verbals! FFS is there absolutely no unity in our support these days?!

Won't be back as I've been disilusioned with scottish football for a while now and this is the final straw!

anyone wanting a season ticket for the east singing section for a knock down fee give me a pm.

bye , and cheers for the memories.

PaulSmith
06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Celtic V Utrect
Dundee Utd V AEK Athens
Odense V Motherwell

Brando7
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Motherwell v Odense

Jammy draw with the teams that were left

hibiedude
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Utter garbage.

They will give it time the happy clappers will say that this
is just a blip

Yogi must go before season starts

oxymoron
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Motherwell v Odense

Jammy draw with the teams that were left

Good luck to them. I like wee Broon - I think he's a savvy wee guy who uses his experience well to get the best out of a very limited group of players at a skint club.

Ray_
06-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Why?

Care to enlighten us?

Alternatives, we have had three transfer windows & still have a defence that has more holes than a sieve, that is nobody on here's fault.

During the 1st leg they had two gilt edge chances in the first ten minutes & throughout the game we were being out thought, out manoeuvred & out played, our manager didn't try to change anything until the game was almost over.

This is a very poor league & yet Yogi has been given more resources since McLeish to do something on the park, with the team. I'm sorry, for me our record this year, including the two Euro games, makes me think that the person in charge is somebody who is incompetent in the role they are being hired to fulfil.

Keith_M
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
what i can't defend is the stewards , went to go in and was told no as I'd had a drink in me , fair enough you may say but there were guys falling up the stairs and still getting in , asked politely why they had been allowed in i was told "**** off ya weegie prick" , enough said really.

Also the hibs fan who went daft at me after he knocked my beer over , now surely if anyone had been angered it would have been me? no , while i laughed about it the guy started giving me abuse so i told him "calm down" at which point a crowd of his mates got involved and started slinging the verbals! FFS is there absolutely no unity in our support these days?!

Won't be back as I've been disilusioned with scottish football for a while now and this is the final straw!

anyone wanting a season ticket for the east singing section for a knock down fee give me a pm.

bye , and cheers for the memories.

Is it just me?

:confused:

Thomson1875
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
wish we had the draw motherwell have had, Good luck to United & well.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
No matter what level of football you play at you MUST play a formation that suits the players at your disposal and the conditions your playing in. Yogi has shown time and again that he has no clue how to mould tactics/formations to suit the above. All this football philosophy nonsense that he spouts is embarassing. He talks about playing the dutch way you've got to laugh all we did was hit that big huddy up the front at any opportunity. Clueless

OK, so if 451 from the first leg and 442 from last night are both wrong, which formation would you play?

we are hibs
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
wish we had the draw motherwell have had, Good luck to United & well.

hard game for dundee united

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm annoyed at the way he setup the team initially. There was no width in the midfield, which meant that there was no outlet for the back four, hence we get the hoofball described elsewhere. The most annoying aspect of this, is that we've been here for quite some time and nothing seems to change or be learned from this.

When the changes were announced, I was delighted to see Wotherspoon and Galbraith on the touchline. I thought 'great! he's seen the problem and he's addressing this' (I should point out that in no way did I think that the tie was salvagable- there was just too much of a mountain to climb by then).

I thought we might actually change our shape, and put in a decent performance for the rest of the game.

But he didn't change the shape- he kept the same shape and simply asked our new left full back to get forward more. Without any cover from left midfield because we were not playing with a left midfielder.

Correct, it's not stupid, when you're playing a 4-4-2 and actually have some width to the team. We weren't and we didn't.

No, no no! The alternative was to take off Nish and McBride and replace them with Wotherspoon and Galbraith, and change the shape to 4-4-2, with the 2 subs trying to get forward

Not true. The fact is that most people (not all) are slagging him off (incoherently or otherwise) because they are frustrated at the results and performances over several months. Petrie's done his bit by backing his signings (which on the whole I'm fairly happy with) and leaving Rankin out (which is a break from Yogi's normal setup) was something that he got right last night.

Yogi's detractors CAN decide why they don't like him- he lacks tactical awareness, has no plan B (he cannot change a game) and his plan A is consistently poor. Yogi has not learned anything from our consistently poor performances. As for the passing too much too little- that actually makes sense- it's clear he wants to retain the ball in defence and pass it forward, but the system he has set up doesn't allow that to happen, resulting in a hoof out of defence after passing it about at the back.

Unless Yogi learnes from his mistakes (so far he hasn't), then he is indeed a rubbish manager. Our 4th place finish was fortunate and was obtained through results gained in the 1st half of last season. Since then we've been very poor and no progress has been made nor any real attempt made to change it.

I think he deserves to be judged on the results and performances since January.

Correct, but witnessing inept performance after inept performance with glaring tactical errors has demonstrated to thousands of fans that something is quite definately wrong.

I didn't see the game over there, but my beef is more about the lack of progress in the past six months.

Pay your money, take your chance. It might have turned out much better for those fans who made the trip.

As for taking responsibility for decisions- that's something I'd like to see from Hughes, something which he consistently fails to deliver.

When I say width in the middle, I'm talking about our midfield. Some width in the midfield . There. That's easier for you to understand.

I understand better now thanks...

You make some fair points, i am not going to get into a debate about tactics and formations - they are ultimately subjective and there is usually a very fine line between a 'tactic' being a success or a failure. What bugs me is guys (not aiming this at you) who patently know nothing about either, who spout this 'clueless' stuff at managers - i would bet that both Yogi and Mixu know more about football tactics than 99% of people on htis board.

but i dont accept that you can arbitrarily draw a line in the season and say that we should onlu judge results from there? For what its worth i think we actually won 4 games in January, including away to Celtic.

I too have concerns about him, he doesnt set up the team like i would, nor play the personnel i would, but i still think he has to be given time to get things right. He has had the job for a year, half good half bad, but think, if the bad had been at the start of the season and the godd letterly, how different peoples perceptions would be.

Fans on this board seem to lurch perpetually from ecstacy to despair with little in between - Yogi has gone from a genius a couple of months into the job, who we are terrified about losing to an English club, to the worst manager in history. Maybe if people werent so stupid about expectations in the first place, they wouldnt have so far to fall - talk of splitting OF last season was patent nonsense from the outset.

If Yogi continues this season like he ended last, i will agree that he should probably go, but if he gets us another european slot via league placings, then you cant deny he is doing a grand job - incidentally when was the last Hibs manager to get us into Europe two seasons running via league placings? I would guess Turnbull - brings some perspective no?

vahibbie
06-08-2010, 12:36 PM
i would bet that both Yogi and Mixu know more about football tactics than 99% of people on htis board.

You may have missed a decimal point....9.9% is maybe more accurate. At least it seems that way.:bitchy:

deeks01
06-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Is it just me?

:confused:

what? :confused:

MacBean
06-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Now that would have been a good trip!!:greengrin

EDIT: sorry didnt see the other thread regarding the Europa League draw, can an admin move please, thanks in advance

Calvin
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Maribor drew Palermo, what a trip that would have been!

I hope Dundee United turn AEK over, and Motherwell have a pretty good draw too but if they go out to Odense then it's a bit of a shame they never drew a big team. Good draw though.

Wull
06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Celtic draw Dutch side Utrecht in the Europa League play-offs, while Dundee United travel to AEK Athens and Motherwell host Danish side Odense.

silverhibee
06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
OK, so if 451 from the first leg and 442 from last night are both wrong, which formation would you play?

Dont think that was 4-4-2 last night.

MJN1875
06-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Wtf was that last night? Me and my mate decided we are going to start going back to Easter Road this season as we hadnt been for a couple of years. We used to go every week for years but due to being so crap stopped. The fans last night reminded me of being at the Hearts game at Hampden, a total joke. Any time I tried to sing, a couple of people joined in and the song would just end. I see this as a huge problem and I doubt this will help the team in any way. Why does nobody sing? What kind of support is this. I see teams all round Europe, no matter how bad they are they still have a passionate support, singing constantly through the entire game. What is going to be done to solve this? As for the team itself, I just dont see us finishing anywhere decent at all. Hughes (as much as I like the guy) just appears not to have a clue about managing this team. I mean why, last week did he think it was a good idea to start Pish on his own? Deek and Stokes should have started. As for the other comments I have seen on here, some numpty saying Maribor are a good team, no they are not! They are a joke, and we are worse for getting pumped from a joke team. I cant even name 1 of their players. And the other numpty that said, he had to leave at half team cos some guy was screaming abuse, well off then. The less people like you and the more people like the guy screaming abuse the better. The new stand is a cracker but I really dont see us really ever selling out especially playing that standard of football. Can you imagine a cold windy and raining midweek game against St Mirren. I fear this season is just going to be a complete joke. We need a manager with experience, id even go foreign. I remember getting relegated and there was more passion in that team than this. I was going to every game back then and when we went down the atmosphere at ER was amazing. For me the McLeish days were by far the best and I think its about time the fans really started showing the passion that we did back then. I cant believe there is a guy on here moaning about someone screaming abuse. I was screaming abuse so it might even have been me. £15 for that I wish I hadnt even bothered. I will still be going back this season but I just thought id let my feelings be known. Im disgusted with the prices, the fans, the manager & the team, and until all that is sorted Hibs will do no better than last season. We were lucky to even have made it in to the Europa qualifiers. Id be interested to see how many games we have actually won since Christmas including friendlies. Ifear its less than 10.

Speedway
06-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Pressing enter after a few sentences that make your point, give you a paragraph.

Like this.

Twa Cairpets
06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Wtf was that last night? Me and my mate decided we are going to start going back to Easter Road this season as we hadnt been for a couple of years. We used to go every week for years but due to being so crap stopped. The fans last night reminded me of being at the Hearts game at Hampden, a total joke. Any time I tried to sing, a couple of people joined in and the song would just end. I see this as a huge problem and I doubt this will help the team in any way. Why does nobody sing? What kind of support is this. I see teams all round Europe, no matter how bad they are they still have a passionate support, singing constantly through the entire game. What is going to be done to solve this? As for the team itself, I just dont see us finishing anywhere decent at all. Hughes (as much as I like the guy) just appears not to have a clue about managing this team. I mean why, last week did he think it was a good idea to start Pish on his own? Deek and Stokes should have started. As for the other comments I have seen on here, some numpty saying Maribor are a good team, no they are not! They are a joke, and we are worse for getting pumped from a joke team. I cant even name 1 of their players. And the other numpty that said, he had to leave at half team cos some guy was screaming abuse, well off then. The less people like you and the more people like the guy screaming abuse the better. The new stand is a cracker but I really dont see us really ever selling out especially playing that standard of football. Can you imagine a cold windy and raining midweek game against St Mirren. I fear this season is just going to be a complete joke. We need a manager with experience, id even go foreign. I remember getting relegated and there was more passion in that team than this. I was going to every game back then and when we went down the atmosphere at ER was amazing. For me the McLeish days were by far the best and I think its about time the fans really started showing the passion that we did back then. I cant believe there is a guy on here moaning about someone screaming abuse. I was screaming abuse so it might even have been me. £15 for that I wish I hadnt even bothered. I will still be going back this season but I just thought id let my feelings be known. Im disgusted with the prices, the fans, the manager & the team, and until all that is sorted Hibs will do no better than last season. We were lucky to even have made it in to the Europa qualifiers. Id be interested to see how many games we have actually won since Christmas including friendlies. Ifear its less than 10.

Im guessing you're not a happy clapper then.

Maybe doing something that doesnt disgust you in every possible way might be a better way to spend your leisure time.

MJN1875
06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Pressing enter after a few sentences that make your point, give you a paragraph.

Like this.

Its a disgusted rant, no time for spaces. Really though id like peoples views on the atmosphere and how we can sort this problem out.

MJN1875
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Im guessing you're not a happy clapper then.

Maybe doing something that doesnt disgust you in every possible way might be a better way to spend your leisure time.

Mate, you might think this is a big laugh but I dont. I have supported this team all my life and it kills me to see the way we played and how bad the fans were last night. As I said it reminded me of the Hearts game at Hampden, probably my most embarrassing moment as a Hibs supporter.

down the slope
06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Wtf was that last night? Me and my mate decided we are going to start going back to Easter Road this season as we hadnt been for a couple of years. We used to go every week for years but due to being so crap stopped. The fans last night reminded me of being at the Hearts game at Hampden, a total joke. Any time I tried to sing, a couple of people joined in and the song would just end. I see this as a huge problem and I doubt this will help the team in any way. Why does nobody sing? What kind of support is this. I see teams all round Europe, no matter how bad they are they still have a passionate support, singing constantly through the entire game. What is going to be done to solve this? As for the team itself, I just dont see us finishing anywhere decent at all. Hughes (as much as I like the guy) just appears not to have a clue about managing this team. I mean why, last week did he think it was a good idea to start Pish on his own? Deek and Stokes should have started. As for the other comments I have seen on here, some numpty saying Maribor are a good team, no they are not! They are a joke, and we are worse for getting pumped from a joke team. I cant even name 1 of their players. And the other numpty that said, he had to leave at half team cos some guy was screaming abuse, well REMOVED off then. The less people like you and the more people like the guy screaming abuse the better. The new stand is a cracker but I really dont see us really ever selling out especially playing that standard of football. Can you imagine a cold windy and raining midweek game against St Mirren. I fear this season is just going to be a complete joke. We need a manager with experience, id even go foreign. I remember getting relegated and there was more passion in that team than this. I was going to every game back then and when we went down the atmosphere at ER was amazing. For me the McLeish days were by far the best and I think its about time the fans really started showing the passion that we did back then. I cant believe there is a guy on here moaning about someone screaming abuse. I was screaming abuse so it might even have been me. £15 for that REMOVED I wish I hadnt even bothered. I will still be going back this season but I just thought id let my feelings be known. Im disgusted with the prices, the fans, the manager & the team, and until all that is sorted Hibs will do no better than last season. We were lucky to even have made it in to the Europa qualifiers. Id be interested to see how many games we have actually won since Christmas including friendlies. Ifear its less than 10.

You need yo join a choir instead of going to ER !, The fans will raise their voices once the team show some passion and commitment .

Stevie Reid
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
As for the other comments I have seen on here, some numpty saying Maribor are a good team, no they are not! They are a joke, and we are worse for getting pumped from a joke team. I cant even name 1 of their players.

How many of our players do you think their supporters had heard of?

NK Maribor have won their national league 8 times in 17 years, including 7 in a row at one point. They've also won the double twice and last year they won both the domestic cups. They've also played in the Champions League 7 times. Joke team? Right then.

Sir David Gray
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Wtf was that last night? Me and my mate decided we are going to start going back to Easter Road this season as we hadnt been for a couple of years. We used to go every week for years but due to being so crap stopped. The fans last night reminded me of being at the Hearts game at Hampden, a total joke. Any time I tried to sing, a couple of people joined in and the song would just end. I see this as a huge problem and I doubt this will help the team in any way. Why does nobody sing? What kind of support is this. I see teams all round Europe, no matter how bad they are they still have a passionate support, singing constantly through the entire game. What is going to be done to solve this? As for the team itself, I just dont see us finishing anywhere decent at all. Hughes (as much as I like the guy) just appears not to have a clue about managing this team. I mean why, last week did he think it was a good idea to start Pish on his own? Deek and Stokes should have started. As for the other comments I have seen on here, some numpty saying Maribor are a good team, no they are not! They are a joke, and we are worse for getting pumped from a joke team. I cant even name 1 of their players. And the other numpty that said, he had to leave at half team cos some guy was screaming abuse, well REMOVED off then. The less people like you and the more people like the guy screaming abuse the better. The new stand is a cracker but I really dont see us really ever selling out especially playing that standard of football. Can you imagine a cold windy and raining midweek game against St Mirren. I fear this season is just going to be a complete joke. We need a manager with experience, id even go foreign. I remember getting relegated and there was more passion in that team than this. I was going to every game back then and when we went down the atmosphere at ER was amazing. For me the McLeish days were by far the best and I think its about time the fans really started showing the passion that we did back then. I cant believe there is a guy on here moaning about someone screaming abuse. I was screaming abuse so it might even have been me. £15 for that REMOVED I wish I hadnt even bothered. I will still be going back this season but I just thought id let my feelings be known. Im disgusted with the prices, the fans, the manager & the team, and until all that is sorted Hibs will do no better than last season. We were lucky to even have made it in to the Europa qualifiers. Id be interested to see how many games we have actually won since Christmas including friendlies. Ifear its less than 10.

By my reckoning, Hibs have won 11 games in total (friendlies included) since Christmas Day;

9/1/10-Hibs 3-0 Irvine Meadow
23/1/10-Hibs 5-1 Hamilton
27/1/10-Celtic 1-2 Hibs
30/1/10-Hibs 2-1 St Mirren
6/2/10-Hibs 5-1 Montrose
6/3/10-Hibs 1-0 Kilmarnock
27/3/10-Falkirk 1-3 Hibs
9/5/10-Dundee Utd 0-2 Hibs
10/7/10-Dunfermline 0-4 Hibs
13/7/10-Queen of the South 0-4 Hibs
19/7/10-NEC Nijmegen 0-1 Hibs

We haven't won at Easter Road for over five months now, which has been six matches without a win (including five defeats in a row in all competitive competitions).

TariqE
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I understand better now thanks...

You make some fair points, i am not going to get into a debate about tactics and formations - they are ultimately subjective and there is usually a very fine line between a 'tactic' being a success or a failure. What bugs me is guys (not aiming this at you) who patently know nothing about either, who spout this 'clueless' stuff at managers - i would bet that both Yogi and Mixu know more about football tactics than 99% of people on htis board.

but i dont accept that you can arbitrarily draw a line in the season and say that we should onlu judge results from there? For what its worth i think we actually won 4 games in January, including away to Celtic.

I too have concerns about him, he doesnt set up the team like i would, nor play the personnel i would, but i still think he has to be given time to get things right. He has had the job for a year, half good half bad, but think, if the bad had been at the start of the season and the godd letterly, how different peoples perceptions would be.

Fans on this board seem to lurch perpetually from ecstacy to despair with little in between - Yogi has gone from a genius a couple of months into the job, who we are terrified about losing to an English club, to the worst manager in history. Maybe if people werent so stupid about expectations in the first place, they wouldnt have so far to fall - talk of splitting OF last season was patent nonsense from the outset.

If Yogi continues this season like he ended last, i will agree that he should probably go, but if he gets us another european slot via league placings, then you cant deny he is doing a grand job - incidentally when was the last Hibs manager to get us into Europe two seasons running via league placings? I would guess Turnbull - brings some perspective no?

There is a very fickle element amoungst the fans (and I'm no different) but I think there is something more here and it's not based solely on last night's result.

As for the bit in bold. Again, you're quite right, perceptions would be completely different had the 1st half of the season been the bad half and the 2nd half of the season the good half because that would demonstrate that he had turned things around, had changed a system that didn't work into something that did. If that were the case, then many many more fans would be looking forward to the coming season with some hope despite a poor uefa result.

Also wrt your comment about Hughes knowing more about tactics than 99% of the people on this board, I would say that he should after spending all of his adult life in the game. However (and this is the reason that I want him to go), last night he demonstrated (in the context of the end of last season too i might add) that he does NOT know better than most people.

Thousands of people saw last night's match and thousands are bewildered by Hughes' tactics and me and many others do not think that it is part of some tactical masterplan which will magically 'click' into place. The reason for this is that we've been waiting for months for this to happen and it hasn't, his tactics just look naive and it seems like there is no progress.

To summarise, I want Hughes to leave because I honestly think that I do know better how to play that team than he does (in an abstract matchday sense- obviously I coulndn't take training sessions or any of the hands on stuff). I am not in the football business, it's not my livlehood, I didn't grow up in it and I never even played it (properly I mean) as a kid. But a layperson like me can see the glaring basic problems and possible basic solutions. I'm not saying I could make Hibs into worldbeaters- I'm just talking about basic matchday tactics. I don't think that I could actually do the job, but the point about that is I don't think Hughes can either. I'd also like to point out that this isn't about me or what I know, it's about Hughes and what he doesn't seem to know or see.

Speedway
06-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Its a disgusted rant, no time for spaces. Really though id like peoples views on the atmosphere and how we can sort this problem out.

Get rid of all the people spewing negative sentiments regardless of the club's situation.

Mate, you might think this is a big laugh but I dont. I have supported this team all my life and it kills me to see the way we played and how bad the fans were last night. As I said it reminded me of the Hearts game at Hampden, probably my most embarrassing moment as a Hibs supporter.

Which was under Saint Tony. See my sentence above.

marinello59
06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Im disgusted with the prices, the fans, the manager & the team.

Did you try the pizza?:cool2:

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
How many of our players do you think their supporters had heard of?

NK Maribor have won their national league 8 times in 17 years, including 7 in a row at one point. They've also won the double twice and last year they won both the domestic cups. They've also played in the Champions League 7 times. Joke team? Right then.

I see your point in there, but the OF have very good records of winning things yet we can defeat them. Maribor are definetly a good side but they are no Real Madrid, I think Hughes showed to much respect or even fear last week hence the situation now.

Moving on, I will defend last night to a point. We entered that game with conditions, conditions IMO too great to overcome. If that was a SPL match or even the 1st leg I think we would have done ok, as the players of both clubs knew what was needed the match IMO would not pan out normally in our play or even theirs. There was always going to be the danger of a break away goal which in any other circumstance you go 1-0 down its not lost, 1-0 last night was it all lost.

I feel under the circumstances we did as I thought we might, the problem for which there is no defence is the setup last week that put last nights game almost null and void. Last week was like setting up v Real Madrid, I am not saying Maribor are not a good team but you have to at least have a counter attacking option, Nish alone up front was a shocking decision.

Maribor will have looked ok as we allowed them too, we really should have been more positive last week and maybe just maybe all would not have been lost last night, I just dont think there is any suitable way to realistically set up to come back from 3-0 thats why it barely happens.

Stevie Reid
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I see your point in there, but the OF have very good records of winning things yet we can defeat them. Maribor are definetly a good side but they are no Real Madrid, I think Hughes showed to much respect or even fear last week hence the situation now.

I wasn't saying they were unbeatable, I was defending them against the ridiculous accusation of being 'a joke team'.

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I wasn't saying they were unbeatable, I was defending them against the ridiculous accusation of being 'a joke team'.

I understand that, they are most definatly no joke team thats for sure.

basehibby
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM

:top marks most of the posters on this thread could make the Olympic squad for knee jerking and some would be a stick on for a medal.

I honestly wonder about what some people were expecting - I would have loved to have seen Hibs turn things around but what I saw was pretty much what I expected to see - we got beaten by a better team so GET OVER IT FFS!

On the positive side the team showed a lot of passion and commitment and the new signings looked good - it's also self evident that we need a few more of similar quality before we can expect to progress on the European stage. That said I think there has been a slight improvement in the overall quality of the squad.

As for Yogi - he still has a lot to prove after last season's form slump - but he certainly deserves more than two games to do so!

TariqE
06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
:top marks most of the posters on this thread could make the Olympic squad for knee jerking and some would be a stick on for a medal.

I honestly wonder about what some people were expecting - I would have loved to have seen Hibs turn things around but what I saw was pretty much what I expected to see - we got beaten by a better team so GET OVER IT FFS!

On the positive side the team showed a lot of passion and commitment and the new signings looked good - it's also self evident that we need a few more of similar quality before we can expect to progress on the European stage. That said I think there has been a slight improvement in the overall quality of the squad.

As for Yogi - he still has a lot to prove after last season's form slump - but he certainly deserves more than two games to do so!

I don't think that it is knee-jerk. If your knee takes six months to jerk then there is something seriously wrong with it.

I think most concede that they were a better team but it's the lack of basic tactical awareness that have pissed so many people off- not the result of 1 UEFA tie. This isn't about 2 games, it's about nothing changing in months.

basehibby
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't think that it is knee-jerk. If your knee takes six months to jerk then there is something seriously wrong with it.

I think most concede that they were a better team but it's the lack of basic tactical awareness that have pissed so many people off- not the result of 1 UEFA tie. This isn't about 2 games, it's about nothing changing in months.

People calling for the manager's head before we've even played a league match is international class knee-jerking in my humble opinion.

If a couple of months from now the team is still not performing then maybe they'll have a point - at this point in time though it's just plain ludicrous.

TariqE
06-08-2010, 04:44 PM
People calling for the manager's head before we've even played a league match is international class knee-jerking in my humble opinion.

If a couple of months from now the team is still not performing then maybe they'll have a point - at this point in time though it's just plain ludicrous.

Hughes didn't join Hibs 2 weeks ago- it's been like this for months! Nothing has changed since our abysmal form started in February.

There's nothing knee-jerk about it.

If people had been calling for his head in March, that may have been ludicrous. That may have been knee-jerk. But here we are 'a couple of months' later, still not performing. Do they (those calling for his head) not have a point?

euro Hibby
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
At the end of the day the team has been crap now for a few months. We have two new players , one played last night. Maribor are better than Hibs who are just a very average Scottish team right now. We play football in a third level backwater. Sometimes we manage to put a few good games together but in the end talent is talent and if you have not got it , it will eventualy shine through.
I feel sorry for Yogi and I don't ! He loves Hibs but thats not enough. I would still give him to Christmas because of the first part and because we can't afford to pay off managers and to make a team with limited rescources available needs time ! Sometimes you need to ask yourself - what do you want - ?? A team which try to entertain or a team which plays to its limitations and is dire to watch.
I was pissed off when we lost to Ross county but against Maribor I was sure we would be lucky to make the next round. Its all about expectations............remember that Yogi when you next spout off about famous Hibs comebacks. In those days we had good players !

basehibby
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Hughes didn't join Hibs 2 weeks ago- it's been like this for months! Nothing has changed since our abysmal form started in February.

There's nothing knee-jerk about it.

If people had been calling for his head in March, that may have been ludicrous. That may have been knee-jerk. But here we are 'a couple of months' later, still not performing. Do they (those calling for his head) not have a point?

No they don't - the whole league has had a rest over the summer and new signings have been made. It's a new playing field - a blank canvas - and i don't think anyone can have a clear idea of how the season is going to pan out until we've played a bunch of games against the known quantities which are the other teams in our league.

It doesn't surprise me at all though to see many posters diving in with indecent haste to stick the knife in to the manager - they're like a stuck record with all their doom laden diatribes and right now I think these opinions are about as relevent as those which were predicting with great certainty that we wouldn't make the top six last season.

TariqE
06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
No they don't - the whole league has had a rest over the summer and new signings have been made. It's a new playing field - a blank canvas - and i don't think anyone can have a clear idea of how the season is going to pan out until we've played a bunch of games against the known quantities which are the other teams in our league.

It doesn't surprise me at all though to see many posters diving in with indecent haste to stick the knife in to the manager - they're like a stuck record with all their doom laden diatribes and right now I think these opinions are about as relevent as those which were predicting with great certainty that we wouldn't make the top six last season.

It's not a blank canvas. That's the point. It's the same man in charge as has been throughout this terrible run of form. People are not 'diving in'- it's been months that this has been happening.

Unless Hughes learns fast (something which he hasn't done so far) and changes things then we may well struggle to make the top 6.

bigwheel
06-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Did you try the pizza?:cool2:

lol....now that has made me laugh...the rest of the thread was about to make me greet!

ForeverHibs93
06-08-2010, 05:24 PM
:top marks Great post. The atmosphere at ER hasn't been great for a few years, I wasn't there last year because I played Saturday football, but had been every season since I was a wee laddie. I was at a few games last year though and on some ocassions out sung by our visitors which isn't acceptable IMO

Captain Trips
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM

If asking for manager to go after this then you maybe right that might be classed as knee jerk, I however feel that full critisim of how we played in Europe isnt knee jerk at all, the competion can be over for your team in 2 matches, for us 1 match,

We spent all last season desperate to get into this competion so it was over for us in a knee jerk fashion so I think critisim is fully justified.

Thigh ar la
06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Is it not a time to get an older manager who is less fazed by the big occasion? One that is also less fazed by the fact we have a great set-up that even the old firm struggle to better? Yogi´s lack of real experience at a higher level must have an impact on the players?
The reason we (the majority) are unhappy is because we have all the infrastructure necessary but no evidence of it actually working on the pitch where it truly counts!
:grr:

deeks01
06-08-2010, 06:32 PM

I'm not knee jerking I'm just fed up with modern "football" in general , I don't see why I should travel 80 miles or so every 2nd week to get looked down upon for having a wee sing song and shouting encouragement while watching a standard of football thats the exact opposite of entertaining! I can honestly say that the only game last year that was entertaining was the 6-6 game. The focus of football should be to entertain fans and score goals not watch overpaid ego filled tossers who don't give a monkeys about hibs play for the money and a transfer rather than the shirt and the fans!

For all these reasons I'm seriously contemplating not going back , in fact if anybody makes a half decent offer for my ST they can have it and I'll consider it my last contribution to the club! I'm sorry I know I am letting hibs down but I just feel like we're being conned , that every fan in scotland and many other countries are being extorted! If the sfa admit they're twats and follow a plan similar to the german league , imo the best league in europe for fans and attacking football , then yes I will be back but not before it.

This is not knee jerk I was thinking this time last year when all was rosy but now somethings finally gave out. Sorry to let the club and the true fans down but I'm out.

Springbank
07-08-2010, 01:05 AM
i think most non-OF fans rate Hibs as having the 3rd (or possibly 2nd) best squad in the league at the manager's disposal. A good stadium, a great training facility. So, the key question is: how (or who) can get the most out of that advantageous situation.

Dundee Utd and Motherwell have had far superior team spirit, attitude and never-say-die approach for months now, and I can't understand how we can't get that???

We are currently much less than the sum of our parts....how or who to rectify that????

A question for the board.

Twa Cairpets
07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

What is a big laugh is the ridiculous over reaction. Disgusted? Really? Do you not think that is a really, really barking way to react to a defeat? its not as if the players individually directed a defeat solely to upset you.

My initial response was querying why anyone would want to voluntarily go to something, pay money for it when they quite clearly hate every second. Seems very odd. The sun has come up, the world keeps turning, and we have a full season of games to look forward to.