PDA

View Full Version : Spare A Thought For Pompey Fans

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 07:09 AM
No sympathy for the club officials, they tried to by glory on corrupt practices and it's great to see the authorities playing hardball (particularly the inland revenue - no business should be exempt from the tax laws of the land) and deterring sleazballs and exploiters getting into the game with big promises on the back of fan dreams.

However, once again, the fans are the club. A Pompey-supporting pal reckons its 'game over' today and they'll be out of the league for a year, then have to work up through the leagues from non-league status, if the verdict this afternoon goes against them. (Which he's certain will happen.)

Good luck to the Portsmouth fans. What they are going through now, I wouldn't wish on any other set of supporters.

I said what they are going through now, I wouldn't wish on any other set of supporters.

Honest.

I mean it.

Seriously.

:fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber:

norhfc
05-08-2010, 07:16 AM
yip good call,we know the feeling of possibly losing your football club,good luck to them (fans) and hopefully will survive.:agree:

bighairyfaeleith
05-08-2010, 07:52 AM
yeah I'm torn between it being good to see clubs that have effectively cheated by spending money they don't have facing justice so to speak and feeling for the fans who love there club and have done for many years, long before the money men came along and shafted there club.

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
yeah I'm torn between it being good to see clubs that have effectively cheated by spending money they don't have facing justice so to speak and feeling for the fans who love there club and have done for many years, long before the money men came along and shafted there club.

Yes, with me, I must confess, it depends on the club. In the case of Hearts and Rangers, I have a sneaking regard for the money men who've shafted their clubs. If they weren't such arrogant, deluded tossers (yams) or glory-hunting, bigoted oafs, (huns) then one could perhaps sympathise more.

The only good thing about the revenue and the authorities playing hardball with Pompey, is that it sets a precedent and makes it a lot harder for the Sticky Buns in particular, but also the Jambos, to weasel out of their commitments. For that reason, while i'll be sad for Pompey fans if it goes against them, it'll be a big step in the right direction if it this happens.

Tricla
05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
No sympathy for the club officials, they tried to by glory on corrupt practices and it's great to see the authorities playing hardball (particularly the inland revenue - no business should be exempt from the tax laws of the land) and deterring sleazballs and exploiters getting into the game with big promises on the back of fan dreams.

However, once again, the fans are the club. A Pompey-supporting pal reckons its 'game over' today and they'll be out of the league for a year, then have to work up through the leagues from non-league status, if the verdict this afternoon goes against them. (Which he's certain will happen.)

Good luck to the Portsmouth fans. What they are going through now, I wouldn't wish on any other set of supporters.

I said what they are going through now, I wouldn't wish on any other set of supporters.

Honest.

I mean it.

Seriously.

:fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber:

Have to disagree with this bit Bob.

Whether it's law or not, HMRC are more corrupt and are involved in more malpractice than any football club or any other business for that matter.

They simply deal in daylight robbery and if you do not comply (whether that be maliciously or unintentionaly) they then deal in the relentless financial destruction of said non-complier withou a smidgeon of remorse or concern for those involved. I can assure you that they will not have offered Portsmouth any sort of olive branch and will have only been concerned with their demise.

I do feel for all Pompey fans and do not condone the practices of their board but I will never back the taxman.

:grr:

marinello59
05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Whether it's law or not, HMRC are more corrupt and are involved in more malpractice than any football club or any other business for that matter.:

That is quite a claim to make. Corrupt? Malpractice? Do go on, I love a good expose. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Whether it's law or not, HMRC are more corrupt and are involved in more malpractice than any football club or any other business for that matter.

They simply deal in daylight robbery and if you do not comply (whether that be maliciously or unintentionaly) they then deal in the relentless financial destruction of said non-complier withou a smidgeon of remorse or concern for those involved. I can assure you that they will not have offered Portsmouth any sort of olive branch and will have only been concerned with their demise.

I do feel for all Pompey fans and do not condone the practices of their board but I will never back the taxman.

Would you not even make an exception for hearts?:wink:

Ray_
05-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Yip, Robin Hood had it right.

HFC 0-7
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM

HMRC did give them breaks at the start when the first started defaulting on payments etc but this isnt something has just started happening, Pompey have been failing to pay the tax man for some time now while still operating in the transfer market. The Board had several bills that they failed to pay in favour of spending in the transfer market. These bills keep mounting up and anyone with any sense knows that they will struggle to pay them. If HMRC handed them a bill and 1 month after the due date they started demanding money and taking them to court then this would be harsh, however, this has been going on for ages! What is HMRC meant to do?

Its not hard really, get a bill, if you have the money pay the bill dont use it for something else. Pompey never done this, they tried to buy success instead!

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Its not hard really, get a bill, if you have the money pay the bill dont use it for something else. Pompey never done this, they tried to buy success instead!

It's not even a bill. It's money that has been deducted from employees' pay.... and kept.

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Having dealt with them for almost 30 years, I do not recognise this description of HMRC or their predecessors.

Uncommercial, unrealistic and unreasonable at times? Absolutely. Corrupt, malpractice, relentless financial destruction? Absolutely not.

Tricla
05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Having dealt with them for almost 30 years, I do not recognise this description of HMRC or their predecessors.

Uncommercial, unrealistic and unreasonable at times? Absolutely. Corrupt, malpractice, relentless financial destruction? Absolutely not.

I'm speaking from experience too here and I can assure you that HMRC and the laws that support and protect them are corrupt, mediaeval and they are not accountable for their actions. I wouldn't even make an exception for the yams.

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm speaking from experience too here and I can assure you that HMRC and the laws that support and protect them are corrupt, mediaeval and they are not accountable for their actions. I wouldn't even make an exception for the yams.

Assure? Not me, mate.

But.. give some examples of what you say.

hibee bouncer
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Have to disagree with the comments against HMRC. Without going into depth, you need to remember that the reason they owe alot of the money is because of a profit that they made. Had they not wasted all the money they were making, they wouldn't be in the position they are now.

Tricla
05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Have to disagree with the comments against HMRC. Without going into depth, you need to remember that the reason they owe alot of the money is because of a profit that they made. Had they not wasted all the money they were making, they wouldn't be in the position they are now.

Like I said I am not agreeing with how Pompey went about their business and their downfall is entirely their own fault.

What I am saying is that from personal experience I know that HMRC will have shown little if any compassion.

They are saying that Pompey are due them £37m and Pompey reckon it is £24m. My guess is that it will be somewhere in the middle or closer to Pompey's estimate but the HMRC will be trying to squeeze every last penny from them.

I won't give any examples of my experience but I know that this type of thing goes on.

Anyhow, what's with the big taxman 'love in!'

:cool2:

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Like I said I am not agreeing with how Pompey went about their business and their downfall is entirely their own fault.

What I am saying is that from personal experience I know that HMRC will have shown little if any compassion.

They are saying that Pompey are due them £37m and Pompey reckon it is £24m. My guess is that it will be somewhere in the middle or closer to Pompey's estimate but the HMRC will be trying to squeeze every last peeny from them.

I will not give any examples of my experiance but I know that this type of thing goes on.

Hoping that if we be sweet to him, he'll come after the Yams and Huns with a vengeance.

Hibs Class
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Portsmouth won their day in court today - still a long way back for them though

PaulSmith
05-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Disapointed in that TBH.

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I won't give any examples of my experience but I know that this type of thing goes on.

Not a love-in. Just the benefit of my daily experience.

Tricla
05-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Not a love-in. Just the benefit of my daily experience.

Daily experience :cool2: I understand.

Tricla
05-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Get it up you HMRC!

(Let it be known that I do not agree with Pompeys practices and this was their own fault but you can't beat beating the tax man!)

7Hero
05-08-2010, 06:18 PM

hmrc are ruthless in there persuit of taxes, even more so last year or so. the way they treat businesses is scandalous and rates of tax businesses have to pay are attrocious.