PDA

View Full Version : New Lansdowne Road 'Aviva' Stadium

Hibernia Na Eir
04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
cracking looking stadium, what a difference to the old one.

Yet again, makes our "national" stadium look pathetic and way way behind the times.

Sprouleflyer
04-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Yet again, makes our "national" stadium look pathetic and way way behind the times.

Any pics?

Big-Si-1875
04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Hampden should never have been re-developed, the skint SFA of the time should have swallowed their pride and shared Murrayfield with the SRU.

Aviva is a cracking looking ground

Gatecrasher
04-08-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/news/Aviva-wide-10.jpg

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00257/aviva_257926g.jpg

minted :agree:

Hampden is a dump compared to Wales, England and Ireland

Also is it true that Aviva in Ireland used to be called Hibernian? So it could have been Hibernian Stadium :-D

Hibernia Na Eir
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Also is it true that Aviva in Ireland used to be called Hibernian? So it could have been Hibernian Stadium :-D

yes they were! Could have been an interesting sight with our name written on the stands:greengrin

(((Fergus)))
04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
very impressive

http://www.avivastadium.ie/

Bohemian_Hibee
04-08-2010, 07:43 PM
We don't always/usually get things right over here, but....

the new Lansdowne Road is one of the best stadium's that I've been in (and I've been lucky enough to be in some good ones). I did a tour of the stadium last month and it's behind the stands thats even more impressive, the dressing rooms, bars, toilets, catering, corporate facilities, turnstiles etc etc

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Hampden should be bulldozed to the ground. It's a crap, desolate stadium in a crap, desolate corner of a crap, desolate city.

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Either i'm pished or my eyesight's completely gone, but are some of those stands taller/shorter than the others? :greengrin

Gatecrasher
04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
yes they were! Could have been an interesting sight with our name written on the stands:greengrin

would have made it look that wee nit better in my opinion :agree:

Sprouleflyer
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM

That is some stadium.

How much did that cost?

Also were Scotland originally offered the Millenium stadium before it was built in Cardiff, but the SFA turned it down?

If they did, just shows what a bunch of muppets we have running our game.

Barney McGrew
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Also were Scotland originally offered the Millenium stadium before it was built in Cardiff, but the SFA turned it down?

No wonder they turned it down.

It would be a bit far to travel for home games.

Gatecrasher
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
That is some stadium.

How much did that cost?

If they did, just shows what a bunch of muppets we have running our game.

€410 million

this link has all the info you need :greengrin

http://www.avivastadium.ie/stadiumInformation.aspx

ScottB
04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm guessing from the look of the small stand they've left room for additional tiers to be added if required?

Very good looking ground certainly!

Oscar Lomax
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Yes, its a cracking stadia but Hampden is there ! We have to use it. Simple as. They are laso working hard to upgrade it. Personally it should have been raised to the round and started from scratch but it has to be used.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Hampden should be bulldozed to the ground. It's a crap, desolate stadium in a crap, desolate corner of a crap, desolate city.

well said that man:agree:

MSK
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes, its a cracking stadia but Hampden is there ! We have to use it. Simple as. They are laso working hard to upgrade it. Personally it should have been raised to the round and started from scratch but it has to be used.Hampden isnt the problem ..its the surrounding area thats **** ...:agree:

Dalianwanda
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Either i'm pished or my eyesight's completely gone, but are some of those stands taller/shorter than the others? :greengrin
Yup one of the ends only has a couple of thousand by the look of it (not sure of exact but its tiny)

Looks great outside too..Have to walk past it to get to work..

Lot of folk werent that keen on it in the first place & would rather just have used croker..While it was getting built heard the term 'bedpan' plenty...still I think its cool

laois hibby
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
there is a scottish flag under the floor of both changing rooms.

laois hibby
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
the reason one end is so short is because of the houses behind it. the stadium was designed by the same architect as arsenals so there is a lot of similarities.

EskbankHibby
04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
the reason one end is so short is because of the houses behind it. the stadium was designed by the same architect as arsenals so there is a lot of similarities.

Think the shape looks brilliant, if a little like a giants commode from the air.

pogo
04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Reason for variation in stand size is down to proximity of houses and restrictions to height because of this. Those of you that were ever at the old Landsdowne will remember how tight it was, the dart line running under the stand!
Most of the funding seems to have come from govt., and from rugby which has taken off recently in popularity. FAI were/are struggling to make up their portion of the costs.

Bishop Hibee
04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
The redevelopment of Hampden was an opportunity lost.

The capacity is far too small, the North and South stands are too shallow while the West and East are too shallow and too far away from the pitch.

It still has "Elite" status in the eyes of UEFA though although what the criteria is for stadiums gaining this accolade appears unclear. Great corporate facilities probably :bitchy:

.Sean.
04-08-2010, 09:01 PM

Both Croke Park and Twickenham also put our National Stadium to shame.

I'm positive one of the stands behind the goal is smaller due to space constraints :agree:

Yes, its a cracking stadia but Hampden is there ! We have to use it. Simple as. They are laso working hard to upgrade it. Personally it should have been raised to the round and started from scratch but it has to be used.
Are they working to improve it?

I was young when Hampden was re-developed. Did they demolish the whole ground and start again or did they re-use parts of the old terraces?

Jamie
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Looks like a rollercoaster :tumble:

ScottB
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
The redevelopment of Hampden was an opportunity lost.

The capacity is far too small, the North and South stands are too shallow while the West and East are too shallow and too far away from the pitch.

It still has "Elite" status in the eyes of UEFA though although what the criteria is for stadiums gaining this accolade appears unclear. Great corporate facilities probably :bitchy:

Think size of changing rooms is critical, it's the reason why Celtic Park isn't in the top class.

Dalianwanda
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Gonna be tricky to get tickets now...Sure I read somewhere that 15k of the capacity is for corporate

.Sean.
04-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Think size of changing rooms is critical, it's the reason why Celtic Park isn't in the top class.
And the fact they have restricted views in both corners beside the main stand and in the top tier of the big stand opposite.

steviecarnie
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Did you watch the game? that boys throw in is tremendous.

.Sean.
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Gonna be tricky to get tickets now...Sure I read somewhere that 15k of the capacity is for corporate
Ridiculous. Football and rugby matches are for the real fans, not for the ponces who only go as they receive freebies from their posh jobs.

DC_Hibs
Hampden redevelopment was basically building one new stand, seating the other three terracings and working on the roof.

its poor compared to decent stadiums especially with the space behind each goal but UEFA rate it highly hence real madrid/leverkusen champions league final not too long back.

Unfortunately we couldn't raise the funding for a full rebuild unlike third world countries even. Not a fan of the weedge but so much history behind hampden that its where scotland should play their games.

hibbie02
Can I just say that anyone that thinks Twickenham is a good stadium is talking PISH. It is a big stadium but most of it is very basic and doesn't even have an outside skin. You stand at one of the bars in the main stands and you get blown by wind and rain. Yes it has a large capacity, but it is crap. If you have tickets high up, there are loads of restricted views.

As for Lansdowne Road it, it certainly has a similar look and feel to the Emirates.

laois hibby
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
i think its more than 15k with the vantage club system.

BEEJ
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Hampden should be bulldozed to the ground.
Agreed :agree:

It's a crap, desolate stadium
Correct again.

in a crap, desolate corner
Not entirely accurate, I'm afraid. Presumably you've always approached the stadium from the East side, through Castlemilk etc?

of a crap, desolate city.
Just wrong. :greengrin Not like you to go for stereotyping, DBS.

hibbie02
04-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Correct again.

Not entirely accurate, I'm afraid. Presumably you've always approached the stadium from the East side, through Castlemilk etc?

It is in a completely useless place with no facilities to support large crowds in a modern world. I for one am sick of getting dropped off a bus, a long way from the stadium with nothing but houses and the occasional petrol station en route. Even getting the train you have a trek and no facilities. FFS I have even had to resort to drinking in Rangers pubs on Victoria Road! Most good stadia have nearby hostelries and transportation to the ground nearby. Hampden is a desert!

BEEJ
04-08-2010, 09:41 PM
It is in a completely useless place with no facilities to support large crowds in a modern world. I for one am sick of getting dropped off a bus, a long way from the stadium with nothing but houses and the occasional petrol station en route. Even getting the train you have a trek and no facilities. FFS I have even had to resort to drinking in Rangers pubs on Victoria Road! Most good stadia have nearby hostelries and transportation to the ground nearby. Hampden is a desert!
I'm not defending either the quality of the stadium or where it is situated. Less than ideal on both counts for an international stadium; but that's what you get when the powers that be opt for the cheap option for redevelopment.

I was responding to the previous comments about the area and the city per se.

(There is Mount Florida station which is at most 5 minutes walk away from the stadium. Regular services to there from Glasgow Central.)

Ernie Cobra
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
juts back from the game, just under 50k there tonight, great atmosphere, all mexican waves and ole's......absolutely magnificent stadium, one of the best i've been in. MIchael Owen scored a cracker, men agaisnt boys really. Really annoyed with the 48,000 man Utd "fans" that were ther....how can one nation be so nationalistic and at times anti English yet turn out in thier droves to support an English tema agianst an Irish league select??? Baffles me :confused:

tony higgins
05-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Strange that no one mentioned a certain Queens Park official walking away with a couple of million gold nuggets in consultancy fees.
Not bad for a job that took 16 years to complete and the vast majority of the money, £60 MILLION, was spent on the South Stand.

"No Amateurs at the Queens" as the advert used too say.

tony higgins
05-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Really annoyed with the 48,000 man Utd "fans" that were ther....how can one nation be so nationalistic and at times anti English yet turn out in thier droves to support an English tema agianst an Irish league select??? Baffles me :confused:

True Irishmen support Man Utd.

:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-08-2010, 06:01 AM
Judging by most of the flags/tunes at Parkhead I thought it was Celtic! Are most of these people actually Scottish?

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2010, 07:33 AM
juts back from the game, just under 50k there tonight, great atmosphere, all mexican waves and ole's......absolutely magnificent stadium, one of the best i've been in. MIchael Owen scored a cracker, men agaisnt boys really. Really annoyed with the 48,000 man Utd "fans" that were ther....how can one nation be so nationalistic and at times anti English yet turn out in thier droves to support an English tema agianst an Irish league select??? Baffles me :confused:

That is a bit Irish. :wink:

AndyM_1875
05-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Hampden redevelopment was basically building one new stand, seating the other three terracings and working on the roof.

its poor compared to decent stadiums especially with the space behind each goal but UEFA rate it highly hence real madrid/leverkusen champions league final not too long back.

Unfortunately we couldn't raise the funding for a full rebuild unlike third world countries even. Not a fan of the weedge but so much history behind hampden that its where scotland should play their games.

I agree. Hampden's redevelopment was botched. The new BT stand is great but the track around the pitch should have been removed (what purpose does it serve now?) and the brainless straight forward seatimg of the old terracing has left Scotland with a stadium that is too small for big Scotland matches and Cup Finals that involve the Old Firm.
If you want to guarantee yourself seeing a match such as Scotland v Spain you have to join the SSC. I couldn't get a ticket for the 2008 qualifiers against Italy or Ukraine so ended up joining as these games are very special.

3 sides of Hampden should be knocked down IMHO and rebuilt properly to give Scotland a 80,000 plus stadium that meets the needs for when Scotland have a genuinely big match and Rangers play Celtic. Even if the Old Firm play Hibs or Hearts in a cup final its still going to be a scramble for tickets thanks to Hampden's current size, especially once you subtract all the corporate jolly tickets from the capacity leaving approximately 40000 tickets for the fans.

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 07:58 AM

Correct again.

Yes, agree with your corrections. Just in a rather puckish, stridently provocative mood today. Excited about tonight's game in a inordinate and wholly inappropriate way. I'm sure Maribor will soon knock the wind out my sails, but till then...

steviecarnie
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqIJSzOf7bM