PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Clubs

Woody1985
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Do any of you know if there are any boxing clubs near Lothian Road or Southside?

Or where the Sparta boxing down Leith is based now? I know it moved to the old warehouse/slaughter house building a couple of years back but I'd heard it moved back to the hut on McDonald road.

Cheers

erin-go-bragh87
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Do any of you know if there are any boxing clubs near Lothian Road or Southside?

Or where the Sparta boxing down Leith is based now? I know it moved to the old warehouse/slaughter house building a couple of years back but I'd heard it moved back to the hut on McDonald road.

Cheers

My grandad was the president of Sparta for years. Dont know where it is now though, Ill ask him though.

Pretty Boy
04-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Cheers

This website here has all the contact details for just about every club in Scotland.

http://www.scottishboxing.co.uk/Scotland-Boxing-Clubs.htm

I started out boxing at Leith Victoria before fighting for Aberdeen Uni, and winning a British Universities Championship gold medal at heavyweight, then fought for Granite City ABC for a couple of years. Currently taking a break due to a couple of injuries.

Boxing is a great sport to get involved in as long as you're not afraid of putting in a shift when training. Brilliant for fitness levels, great for building discipline and a good way to meet new people. Most clubs are pretty flexible as well. If you just want to go and get fit, hit some pads and the bags and learn the techniques they will be fine with that, if you want to fight then they will happily get you involved in some hard sparring(after you learn the basics of course) and start entering you in novice tournaments as soon as they think you are ready and you get a license.

Woody1985
05-08-2010, 11:31 AM
This website here has all the contact details for just about every club in Scotland.

http://www.scottishboxing.co.uk/Scotland-Boxing-Clubs.htm

I started out boxing at Leith Victoria before fighting for Aberdeen Uni, and winning a British Universities Championship gold medal at heavyweight, then fought for Granite City ABC for a couple of years. Currently taking a break due to a couple of injuries.

Boxing is a great sport to get involved in as long as you're not afraid of putting in a shift when training. Brilliant for fitness levels, great for building discipline and a good way to meet new people. Most clubs are pretty flexible as well. If you just want to go and get fit, hit some pads and the bags and learn the techniques they will be fine with that, if you want to fight then they will happily get you involved in some hard sparring(after you learn the basics of course) and start entering you in novice tournaments as soon as they think you are ready and you get a license.

Thanks for the info.

I've trained at some clubs over various stages and the main reason I want to get back into it is for the fitness and feeling a bit sharper. I'm playing football a lot but the training doesn't get me in the same nick as boxing does.

I wear contact lenses so I can't do much in terms of fighting/sparring because I can't see **** when I take a hit to the eye and they pop out (quite easily).

There's a club 5 minutes away from my house but I can't be arsed with some of the boys that go there.

I'm looking for somewhere I can go immediately after work and then jump the bus home. As for the club near mine, I find that if I go home before the gym / boxing then I get into the habit of getting my tea and then can't be arsed!

Edit; It looks like the Sparta gym is still down at the big warehouse.