PDA

View Full Version : Yams Who Did Germany Defeat In WW2 Before Losing To Hearts?

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2010, 08:06 AM
There were comprehensive away victories at Clydebank and Coventry, can anyone remember any other results from the tournament?

bigwheel
04-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Ha....they had an away victory in Poland and a friendly result on Italy....the Hearts test was always the one they feared the most....they were known as "Zee big team" by the German media at the time....

CropleyWasGod
04-08-2010, 08:14 AM
There were comprehensive away victories at Clydebank and Coventry, can anyone remember any other results from the tournament?

They breezed through the qualifying competition against some pretty awful opposition in Belgium, the Netherlands and Denmark. Battered everyone.

They came up against a stiffer task in France, when a combined British team came adrift :rolleyes:.

Cabbage East
04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
As I recall it, the Hearts squad was ravaged with injuries and suspensions but still managed to pull off a stunning victory in what is always a very difficult away venue.

StevieC
04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
To be fair to the Jambo's, they sat out WW2 to give the others a chance.

It was the WW1 tournament that they strolled.

Hibs Class
04-08-2010, 08:40 AM
They pulled into an early lead against London with some fine strikes but then took their eye off the ball allowing England to draw level with some clinical finishing in Dresden, albeit there was some controversy about eligibility after the English strikeforce included an American presence.

StevieC
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
albeit there was some controversy about eligibility after the English strikeforce included an American presence

It wasn't Sylvester Stalone was it?

aberhibsfc
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
They also toured Africa, Liar Kingston represented the Africans. Soundly beaten by the Desert Rats the Hearts 400,000 tribute act.

For the Germans sake, they vacated Africa prior to Nade's birth, he'd have had them for breakfast.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I was at bit surprised some of the stalwarts of the German campaign had to take part in a trial match in Nürnberg before being allowed into their squad for any subsequent tournaments!

Hibs Class
04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I was at bit surprised some of the stalwarts of the German campaign had to take part in a trial match in Nürnberg before being allowed into their squad for any subsequent tournaments!

:agree: I think I'm right in saying that those who indulged in the worst ungentlemanly conduct also served their suspensions in Nuremburg

bawheid
04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
I was shocked to read that Hearts weren't touring Helmand Province as part of their pre-season. Our boys out there already would have appreciated the experience and support I'm sure.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Indeed 2468, I believe some of them moved to Argentina in protest when the squad decisions were made.

Baldy Foghorn
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Having seen the airbourne museum in Arnhem, am I the only one that thinks this thread is in poor taste? :confused:

aberhibsfc
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I take your point, although surely you can identify where the humour is aimed. It's Hearts not our
forces were making fun of.

I am sure many of us have close relatives that would have been involved in those battles. The last thing I think any of us would want to do is make fun of them.

If you want to witness people making true misguided mockery of our forces look no further than Parkhead.

hiblander
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Having seen the airbourne museum in Arnhem, am I the only one that thinks this thread is in poor taste? :confused:

Its not good and not really funny. doesnt merit a thread...but i'm sure Vladimir did see of the wolf packs..

(((Fergus)))
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
The Germans were their own worst enemy in that tournament, consistently dropping some of their most creative players and sending them off to special training camps. Many of these players acquired American citizenship and proved to be something of a secret weapon for the US team - especially in the tournament decider against Japan.

Hibs Class
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
TBH, I was making fun of the Germans rather than our neighbours. I don't find any of the posts in poorer taste than, say, Dad's Army or Allo Allo.

Hainan Hibs
04-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Everyone congratulates the Soviets for their contribution but they were facing a 2nd string German side who were keeping back key battalions for the real battle against Hearts.

With the war in Afghanistan nearing a decade in length it really shows how far the Hearts war machine has crumbled since the introduction of Romanov.

--------
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
If anyone wants some authentic information about football, the Third Reuch, and WW2, I suggest they get a hold of Andy Dougan's wee book "Dynamo: Defending The Honour Of Kiev". Not sure if it's still in print - I got my copy on Amazon, second-hand. Not expensive. It'll put things in perspective, maybe. :cool2:

(((Fergus)))
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
If anyone wants some authentic information about football, the Third Reuch, and WW2, I suggest they get a hold of Andy Dougan's wee book "Dynamo: Defending The Honour Of Kiev". Not sure if it's still in print - I got my copy on Amazon, second-hand. Not expensive. It'll put things in perspective, maybe. :cool2:

Is that the true story behind "Escape to Victory"?

degenerated
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM

there was a pre-season stroll in Austria and a qualification round in Czechlosovakia.There was also a hard fought draw in Norway that went all the way to extra time and penalties before HOMoFC secured victory in the end, with the assistance of a very partisan home crowd.

iwasthere1972
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM

I vaguely remember the "Dundee Landings" when the Yams complete with beach balls and 400,000 troops were about ten minutes away from victory when they suffered two direct hits and the rest is history.

Green_one
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
They have altered 'never has so much been owed by so many to so few'

to

'Never has so much been owed'

bawheid
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I vaguely remember the "Dundee Landings" when the Yams complete with beach balls and 400,000 troops were about ten minutes away from victory when they suffered two direct hits and the rest is history.

:faf: :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
04-08-2010, 12:30 PM

:faf: Brilliant:thumbsup:

Saorsa
04-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I vaguely remember the "Dundee Landings" when the Yams complete with beach balls and 400,000 troops were about ten minutes away from victory when they suffered two direct hits and the rest is history.:top marks

:hilarious

vahibbie
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
To be fair the Yams did play a very weakened German side.
Apparently most of their top men were engaged in a none to friendly tournament in Russia.

(((Fergus)))
04-08-2010, 02:53 PM

They have altered 'never has so much been owed by so many to so few'

to

'Never has so much been owed'

:thumbsup:

lapsedhibee
04-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Aye. Excellent thread - chuckled all the way through. :wink:

Springbank
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
With the subsequent division of Germany into wee Germany (to the East of course) and big Germany (to the West, natch) Hearts were delighted to restore their own peculiar sense of order to the world.
They went on to win a stunning TWO trophies in the next 8 decades or so, to reinforce their enormity, imaginitively borrowing Goebbels ideas of telling a lie often enough so that the masses bought it hook line and sinker. They are a massive club.

Phil D. Rolls
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I feel the Germans biggest mistake was when they started to showboat near the end of the first half. Having pushed too many men up to the (eastern) front, they were sitting ducks for the Yam's counter attack. It may not have been pretty to look at, but reverting to aerial tactics - making full use of the famous strike duo of De Havilland and Harris was enough for the Yams to scrape a workmanlike equaliser.

snooky
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Field-Marshall Nade & the Battle Of The Bulge.

--------
04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Is that the true story behind "Escape to Victory"?

No - it's about Dinamo Kiev, the Wehrmacht, and the SS. I recommend it - puts a lot of things into perspective.

macca70
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Field Marshall Romanov has since returned to repay Hearts for resucuing Russia from The Germans invasion.

Although, not all is rosey in Gorgski; General Ivanouskas, Brigadier Pressley and Colnel Hartley were Court Marshalled, resulting in them being sent on there way, in isolation, in submarines.

Brigadier Pressley was last seen going round the Falkirk wheel in his, whilst Colnel Hartley was last spotted by a North Sea Oil worker heading for Pittodrie.

:titanic:

StevieC
04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
No - it's about Dinamo Kiev, the Wehrmacht, and the SS. I recommend it - puts a lot of things into perspective.

Thanks for the recommendation Doddie.
Just been on amazon and ordered it up (£2.76).
Hopefully get to read it on my Ukraine trip in September.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
The twin strike force that was brought in from America combined with devastating effect during the visit to Japan in '45, even more potent finishers than Nade/Driver!

Springbank
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I feel the Germans biggest mistake was when they started to showboat near the end of the first half. Having pushed too many men up to the (eastern) front, they were sitting ducks for the Yam's counter attack. It may not have been pretty to look at, but reverting to aerial tactics - making full use of the famous strike duo of De Havilland and Harris was enough for the Yams to scrape a workmanlike equaliser.

Yes, historians now agree that Blitzkreig could ultimately have no answer to their tactics, which became honoured in German culture. People throughout the former Reich began to name their young after the impressive and cultured Tynecastle side's tactics, such as famous German warbler & actor David HasselHOOOOOOOOOF :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Very enlightening posts, which I think, when read together, provide a context within which to understand the bitterness of the current Hearts support.

It's all very well bemoaning some of the denizens of the Wheatfield with their BNP leaflets and Nazi salutes, and their open pondering of the question 'did we fight on wrong side in WW2', but lets take into account the great betrayals this white-trash tribe have been subject to.

First, there was the infamous Lloyd George quote when they came home, shell-shocked from the trenches of Dens in 86...sorry, my memory fails me, 18, and were promised 'stands fit for heroes'. Well, the poor blighters are still waiting.

Just as well there have been no modern betrayals to worry about...whoops, forgot about those pesky title deeds to the PBS being transferred to an office in some Eastern European town. How to get them back? WW3 anyone?

bawheid
05-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Just as well there have been no modern betrayals to worry about...whoops, forgot about those pesky title deeds to the PBS being transferred to an office in some Eastern European town. How to get them back? WW3 anyone?

It's clear to me that Lieutenant General Gary MacKay should be immediately promoted to Field Marshal and lead the assault on Vilnius.

He has the leadership qualities, and a track record littered with success. How many medals did he win in his career (not including the 1st Gulf War)?

He also produced that magical Lord Kitchener tribute when promoting season tickets a few years ago. Someone must still have the photo...

Toaods
05-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Not forgetting their longstanding links to Rangers and never to be forgotten legendary hitman Super Allies McCoist.

Mikey
05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Poor wee Cragieboy over the road is getting pretty irate and upset about this thread.

Good work Bob :greengrin

Even his fellow Hearts supporters think he's a bit of a plum.

iwasthere1972
05-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Poor wee Cragieboy over the road is getting pretty irate and upset about this thread.

:agree: :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Delighted that they are upset. My work here is done. Now to Kickback for some infiltration.

iwasthere1972
05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Delighted that they are upset. My work here is done. Now to Kickback for some infiltration.

Remember and take your tissues with you Bob.:wink:

Hibs Class
05-08-2010, 12:46 PM

:agree: If you strip out Craigieboy's indignant foot-stamping, the proportion of measured comments is actually far higher than the usual hobo-filth threads.

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Remember and take your tissues with you Bob.:wink:

I've a box of Kleenex, but I can somehow never get into the Tynecastle lavatories. There's always a huge line of men carrying boxes of Kleenex.

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
:agree: If you strip out Craigieboy's indignant foot-stamping, the proportion of measured comments is actually far higher than the usual hobo-filth threads.

They seem to be all excited about us supposedly getting the two World Wars mixed up. Surely they can understand that all Jambo trophies are the same to us?

bawheid
05-08-2010, 01:22 PM
They seem to be all excited about us supposedly getting the two World Wars mixed up. Surely they can understand that all Jambo trophies are the same to us?

Typical weeteamers not knowing our military history. Winning World Wars is big team business and we should know our place.