PDA

View Full Version : In The Market To Poach Maribor Stars? (merged)

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I suspect that we could do worse, given that in the first game they had far more pace, vision and passing skills.

I would doubt Slovenian players are paid that well, even by SPL standards, and we could do with injecting a few of the above qualities into our side.

Wonder if Yogi and Chipper are watching the opposition with interest?

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I suspect that we could do worse, given that in the first game they had far more pace, vision and passed skills.

I would doubt Slovenian players are paid that well, even by SOL standards, and we could do with injecting a few of the above qualities into our side.

:agree:
Yip we spoke about this last week. A journalist told us their top players were on 5000 euros a month. If this was true, its certainly a market we should be tapping into, especially if we are to play the way Yogi wants us to.

Andy74
03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Let's see what Thursday brings. I thought they were clinical wit their finishing last week but didn't exactly play us off the park.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Maribor training ground September:

"Hey Bojan"

"Yes, Anton"

"You know that Scottish team we beat 6-0 on aggregate, who were about as slack at the back as big Marija from Ljubljana?"

"You mean the Edinaburgh Hibernians?"

"Yes, them, well they want us to play for them"

"Hahahahahahaha, you mean freezing to death in Motherbell or Aberdonia and getting knocked out of the second round of Scottish Cup by Inverbervie, instead of playing in Europa Cup and winning the Slovenian League? You make a good joke, Anton"

"No, no, Bojan, I'm perfectly serious"

"Hahahahahahahahahahahaha......................."

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Let's see what Thursday brings. I thought they were clinical wit their finishing last week but didn't exactly play us off the park.

Don't think they were clinical enough, tbh, Andy. They had a fair few through-on-goal chances in the first half after tearing us apart. Agree though that we should wait and see how they travel.

Sumner
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM

"Hey Bojan"

"Yes, Anton"

"You know that Scottish team we beat 6-0 on aggregate, who were about as slack at the back as big Marija from Ljubljana?"

"Hahahahahahaha, you mean freezing to death in Motherbell or Aberdonia and getting knocked out of the second round of Scottish Cup by Inverbervie, instead of playing in Europa Cup and winning the Slovenian League? You make a good joke, Anton"

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Arch Stanton
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I suspect that we could do worse, given that in the first game they had far more pace, vision and passing skills.

I would doubt Slovenian players are paid that well, even by SPL standards, and we could do with injecting a few of the above qualities into our side.

But would Yogi and Chipper be able to spot the talent? Maybe to be on the safe side we should draft in some Slovenian managerial talent as well.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM

"Hey Bojan"

"Yes, Anton"

"But they are twice as much as us, and are allowed to sit in the bars of Edinburgh's George Street all night, and have only an hour's training per day..."

"Call my agent, Anton, I'm in."

Woody1985
03-08-2010, 08:03 PM

"Hey Bojan"

"Yes, Anton"

:tee hee:

Bostonhibby
03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Putting my neck on the block here but I thought they were a pretty average side made to look good by our unbelievably naive "tactics", even then they got a couple of breaks for the goals, they definitely raised their game on the back of a terifficly vocal home support and coped with the conditions better than us but I wouldn't be looking to suddenly buy them all just because they managed to knock a few past our wierd set up that night in the rain, other wise we will have to buy half the SPL plus Ross County because they are cheap and knocked 3 past us on their own ground.
I actually think we will get past Maribor if we score early.:duck:

Cabbage East
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Putting my neck on the block here but I thought they were a pretty average side made to look good by our unbelievably naive "tactics", even then they got a couple of breaks for the goals, they definitely raised their game on the back of a terifficly vocal home support and coped with the conditions better than us but I wouldn't be looking to suddenly buy them all just because they managed to knock a few past our wierd set up that night in the rain, other wise we will have to buy half the SPL plus Ross County because they are cheap and knocked 3 past us on their own ground.

Ditto.

We'll see.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Whilst I hope you guys are right, after being at the 1st leg, they look like a real quick counter attacking team, I think they'll score which means goodnight to us.

Aspire
04-08-2010, 08:27 AM
After seeing the quality of Maribor last Thursday, anyone any idea what kind of wages there players would be on??

Could the Solvenian League be an untapped market for Hibs to target?

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
A journalist told us their top men were on around 5000 euros a month.

MussiHibee
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
So roughly £1000 per week...must be players there who would come to us with the assumption that we can put you in the shop window for a move to England??

LancsHibs
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM

"Hey Bojan"

"Yes, Anton"

:faf: Quality, ya gotta laf

Speedway
04-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Didn't Miller go after Tomas someone of Videoton and Danny Blind of FC Liege after our European adventure in the 80's?

Steve-O
04-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Hopefully our future manager happens to be watching as well then...:agree:

GraniteCityHibs
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
But they'll all be cup tied for our European adventure after tomorrow night!!:cool2:

In all seriousness, the wages might be peanuts but Slovenian league or not they'll be looking for big bucks from any potential sales.

What we need is a Slovenian investor, say an owner of some kind of bank or something, to buy us and Maribor and then loan us all of their players. With no transfer fees we could even give them HUGE wages for thier services.

The best thing is that once they're in the shop window when we sell them we won't get any of the transfer fees back.:greengrin

heretoday
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
May as well take something positive from the game. A couple of decent players would be good.

Ritchie
04-08-2010, 11:25 AM

totally agree!

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
totally agree!

The first goal was a great strike after a slip from Murray. The 2nd goal came after a foul on one of our players, and a good chip shot from the finisher. The 3rd was a break away, with our defense all over the shop. Nowt to do with the tactics. Individual errors, and very good finishing was why we lost 3 goals.

Sammy7nil
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
The first goal was a great strike after a slip from Murray. The 2nd goal came after a foul on one of our players, and a good chip shot from the finisher. The 3rd was a break away, with our defense all over the shop. Nowt to do with the tactics. Individual errors, and very good finishing was why we lost 3 goals.

So Yogi got tactics spot on just a wee tad unlucky with individual errors. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
So Yogi got tactics spot on just a wee tad unlucky with individual errors. :greengrin

I think most folk on here would have picked a 4-5-1 formation. We might have had different players, but the system seemed fine to me. Individual errors did contribute to their goals, there is no argument about that. We did have Riordan and Stokes on the park for 20-25 minutes, and they replaced a couple of their better players yet we did not have one shot on target. The system we played was correct imho.

CapitalHibs
04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Think I read somewhere that the boy Illich that scored the two chip shots was previously playing in the lower Slovenian Leagues.

southfieldhibby
04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
So roughly £1000 per week...must be players there who would come to us with the assumption that we can put you in the shop window for a move to England??

Take into consideration the cost of living over there compared to here and they are better off staying put, plus they would have to contend with Hughes and his numbskull style of football.

Devine
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I think most folk on here would have picked a 4-5-1 formation. We might have had different players, but the system seemed fine to me. Individual errors did contribute to their goals, there is no argument about that. We did have Riordan and Stokes on the park for 20-25 minutes, and they replaced a couple of their better players yet we did not have one shot on target. The system we played was correct imho.

Absolutely ridiculous argument at least have a go at making a proper argument. We were 3-0 DOWN and the game was OVER we are away from home we're deflated and they are riding high on confidence yet you think its fair to point out that they 2 didnt have a shot on goal!?!? It was all too little too late. The facts are we couldnt get out of our own half, hardly had a shot in earnest, lost 3 goals, should have lost more and didnt look threatning in the slightest. How you can even come to argue that he got his tactics right are beyond me!

blackpoolhibs
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Absolutely ridiculous argument at least have a go at making a proper argument. We were 3-0 DOWN and the game was OVER we are away from home we're deflated and they are riding high on confidence yet you think its fair to point out that they 2 didnt have a shot on goal!?!? It was all too little too late. The facts are we couldnt get out of our own half, hardly had a shot in earnest, lost 3 goals, should have lost more and didnt look threatning in the slightest. How you can even come to argue that he got his tactics right are beyond me!

What did those two contribute on sunday against Carlisle at 0-0?

Keith_M
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM

It's hardly comparable. By all accounts, nobody in the Hibs squad seemed to give a t*ss on Sunday.

Bye the way, I agree with you that Yogi's tactics are not solely to blame for last week's defeat. My feeling is that they would have been the correct tactics if we'd had players to play them. I'm not convinced Nish is exactly the ideal for the sole striker, sorry to say this, "Kenny Millar Role".

Maybe if we'd employed him as a CH we wouldn't have lost so heavily....

Devine
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Wasn't at Carslisle cant tell you that but again a European tie and a Friendly another shoddy comparison

sesoim
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
"But they are twice as much as us, and are allowed to sit in the bars of Edinburgh's George Street all night, and have only an hour's training per day..."

"And they sell their best players every season, so we could be on £20k a week in the Premiership within a year!"