PDA

View Full Version : Should We Have Had A Game On The New Pitch Before Thursday??

YehButNoBut
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
"Hibs boss John Hughes, meanwhile, was today giving his players their first glimpse of the new-look Easter Road as they trained on the pitch as they prepare to try to overturn the 3-0 deficit from the first leg in their third qualifying round."

This quote from todays Scotsman made me think that we should have had a friendly on the new surface before Thursday to help the players get used to it, surely would have helped?

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-handed-rookie-referee-for.6453921.jp

Gatecrasher
03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
"Hibs boss John Hughes, meanwhile, was today giving his players their first glimpse of the new-look Easter Road as they trained on the pitch as they prepare to try to overturn the 3-0 deficit from the first leg in their third qualifying round."

This quote from todays Scotsman made me think that we should have had a friendly on the new surface before Thursday to help the players get used to it, surely would have helped?

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs-handed-rookie-referee-for.6453921.jp
in an ideal world yes, but probaby not possible with the sidelines not being ready yet

Woody1985
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
It's a patch of grass. Footballers are used to patches of grass when playing football.

Do you think that we're allowed to play friendlies at other grounds before competitions to get used to their patches of grass?

We'll train on the pitch and be ready to play. Getting used to it should not be a factor. You can tell what a pitch is like within 10 seconds of walking on it. If you can't then you shouldn't be a footballer.

iwasthere1972
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
It's a patch of grass. Footballers are used to patches of grass when playing football.

Do you think that we're allowed to play friendlies at other grounds before competitions to get used to their patches of grass?

We'll train on the pitch and be ready to play. Getting used to it should not be a factor. You can tell what a pitch is like within 10 seconds of walking on it. If you can't then you shouldn't be a footballer.

:agree: 100% correct.

YehButNoBut
03-08-2010, 11:45 AM

:agree: 100% correct.

If that was the case then would there be much advantage in playing at home?

nickwhibs
03-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Is the advantage of playing at home not the crowd? :wink:

iwasthere1972
03-08-2010, 11:49 AM

No travelling
Playing in front of your home fans
Familiar surroundings

Grass is grass.

ChrissyG1875
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM

I wouldn't say that was due to grass, it's due to the fans.

Woody1985
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM

The advantage from playing at home comes from the surroundings, the confidence, the fans, the atmosphere. Has the pitch ever been a major factor in home advantage? Not that I've ever heard of.

You could maybe, but not really, argue due to the size of the pitch has increased and they'd want to try their shape but you can easily train on a pitch at East Mains on an increased pitch size.

It's a flat piece of grass. I could understand if we had just threw down an artificial playing surface but we didn't. It's grass.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
The surface looks magnificent. If you can't play on that, then you can't play. No excuses. End of.

Speedway
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
'I'm on £2k a week but this is different grass to the stuff I play on at East Mains so it's not my fault I can't pass the ball 5 yards to a team mate'

'There's the door son, and here's your coat.'

Haribo haven't played on it either and I bet they won't encounter many problems.

Hainan Hibs
03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
The fans and the atmosphere. We may as well play another leg in Maribor with our Home advantage:greengrin

YehButNoBut
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
The advantage from playing at home comes from the surroundings, the confidence, the fans, the atmosphere. Has the pitch ever been a major factor in home advantage? Not that I've ever heard of.

You could maybe, but not really, argue due to the size of the pitch has increased and they'd want to try their shape but you can easily train on a pitch at East Mains on an increased pitch size.

It's a flat piece of grass. I could understand if we had just threw down an artificial playing surface but we didn't. It's grass.

I know what you mean but I still think there is some advantage in being used to your own playing surface and still think it would have helped to have played a game on it first.

MrHibs1982
03-08-2010, 01:40 PM
With this being a brand new pitch there should be no excuses. Only time i think the pitch itself is a factor is Motherwell for example 2 seasons ago and maybe last with there absolute bog of a pitch but brand new pitch as people said if you cannae play on that you should be saying :bye::bye:

Woody1985
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I know what you mean but I still think there is some advantage in being used to your own playing surface and still think it would have helped to have played a game on it first.

I think you're at the wind up or trying to have a subtle dig at the management and/or club for not setting up a friendly!

I'm no gardner but I reckon the longer the pitch isn't played on the better the surface will be to bed in and be playable.

If there turned out to be a problem with the pitch i.e. it cuts up then the other team will be playing on the same surface.

Billy Whizz
03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I gather they are playing on it as we speak.
One of my friend's is working at ER and the players are on the pitch!

offshorehibby
03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
It might have made a difference several years ago with slope there
' opponents loose all hope when we get them down the slope'

gobragh1875
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
they have played a few games on it in the last week

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
As we were playing on mud from about January onwards, it might have an idea to reaclimatise the players with grass.

In fact, we should have left it a ploughed field in order that the Maribor passing game is disrupted.

Thigh ar la
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
:smokinI find that the grass makes all the difference!

persevere1875
04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
No travelling
Playing in front of your home fans
Familiar surroundings

Grass is grass.

Not always :wink: