PDA

View Full Version : Attacking Midfielder

Ozyhibby
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
With all the yogi must go threads going on just now I would like top start by saying I think he should stay.
The main problem we have IMO is the lack of a decent attacking midfielder. Most of our problems since the turn of the year I think are down to Zemmama getting injured and us not having an adequate replacement.
So while I remain convinced yogi is the man if we get to 1st Sept and we have not bothered to bring one in then I will be starting to think that it is time for a change.

whiskyhibby
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I do agree but in some respects we have them already, Millar on his day can dance around the midfeild putting in telling passes, maybe its just the way we are playing at the moment with too much emphasis placed on possession which is the issue, I'd rather see it flowing freely and quickly from the back to the strikers through the midfield:agree::agree:

Dr Jimmy
03-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I do agree but in some respects we have them already, Millar on his day can dance around the midfeild putting in telling passes, maybe its just the way we are playing at the moment with too much emphasis placed on possession which is the issue, I'd rather see it flowing freely and quickly from the back to the strikers through the midfield:agree::agree:

This is one of my (many) problems with Yogi, he has the personnel to have an attacking midfielder playing through the middle, yet he continues to ignore them. Liam Miller is exactly the type of player that can play this role yet he is asked to play deeper. If we could free him up to get forward more we would see the player that he can be. Too many times he is chasing back into the corners to support the full back, too many times he is caught deep in his own half with the ball. Let him play further forward getting into the box and leave the McBrides, Rankins etc to do the leg work.

ShanksSaidNo
03-08-2010, 08:50 AM
With all the yogi must go threads going on just now I would like top start by saying I think he should stay.
The main problem we have IMO is the lack of a decent attacking midfielder. Most of our problems since the turn of the year I think are down to Zemmama getting injured and us not having an adequate replacement.
So while I remain convinced yogi is the man if we get to 1st Sept and we have not bothered to bring one in then I will be starting to think that it is time for a change.
If we think the answer to all our problems is Zemmama then we are in deeper trouble than i first thought! In my opinion Zemmama is a luxury and a prime example of the foreign attitude of "sore leg boss, cant play boss". I agree that we need an attacking creative midfielder but he is not the man for the job. As a couple of others have pointed out i'd like to see Miller taking on that mantle and deploying Murray into a tough tackling holding midfield role.

blackpoolhibs
03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Lack of pace all over the park, and a weak defense are our problems.

J-C
03-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Would love to think that Zouma was all we needed but with players seemingly not up to scratch all over the pitch, well we really are in big trouble.

Murray seems a yard too slow for a left back and should be in the holding midfield position, Nish and Rankin are just not good enough, no matter how much effort they put in, they're rank.

Thicot again for some reason isn't getting a look in and everytime I've seen him he looks composed and balanced on the ball.

Hogg is a liability and should be punted asap.

Apart from Deek we have no creative players at ER except Zouma, who's injured a fair amount recently, this must be Hughes's priority, getting in a good quality creative central midfielder.

This should've been right up Miller's street as this was his forte at Celtic but for some reason, he's turned into another average journeyman midfielder, who'll disapper into obscurity at the end of his career.

Gow if he still signs could be the missing piece, if he can regain the form he showed at Falkirk, when we were all begging the board to sign him.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Lack of pace all over the park, and a weak defense are our problems.

Nutshell.

Disappointed that we haven't been able to rectify either issue in the transfer market. (So far).

seanraff07
03-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I thought De Graaf was supposed to be an attacking midfield player but he seems to be more of a Boozy type player. If Miller was given a free role as already suggested he could score and assist a lot more goals.

ulises_trotter
03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
If we think the answer to all our problems is Zemmama then we are in deeper trouble than i first thought! In my opinion Zemmama is a luxury and a prime example of the foreign attitude of "sore leg boss, cant play boss". I agree that we need an attacking creative midfielder but he is not the man for the job. As a couple of others have pointed out i'd like to see Miller taking on that mantle and deploying Murray into a tough tackling holding midfield role.

cruciate ligament injury?? sore leg?

is Kevin McCann a foreigner? was Alan Gow a foreigner when he was only fit for bout 5 games?
maybe by chance because hes the only player in the hibs team willing to try and commit a player he gets a fair more amount of kicks than the rest that stand still....

ShanksSaidNo
03-08-2010, 10:33 AM

is Kevin McCann a foreigner? was Alan Gow a foreigner when he was only fit for bout 5 games?
maybe by chance because hes the only player in the hibs team willing to try and commit a player he gets a fair more amount of kicks than the rest that stand still....
Fair doo's his latest injury is a bag yin but before that any niggle and he wanted to go off. And did go off. Zemmama is not as good as certain Hibees would have other people believe. A few wee flicks and tricks does not automatically earn you a spot in the starting 11, hard work and commitment do - 2 things Zemmama is lacking in!

Betty Boop
03-08-2010, 10:55 AM

:top marks

ForeverHibs93
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Fair doo's his latest injury is a bag yin but before that any niggle and he wanted to go off. And did go off. Zemmama is not as good as certain Hibees would have other people believe. A few wee flicks and tricks does not automatically earn you a spot in the starting 11, hard work and commitment do - 2 things Zemmama is lacking in!
I can see where your coming from but all the hard work in the world doesn't make you a good footballer, Zouma may not be the hardest worker neither are deeks or stokes. but they do the business on the pitch

Franck is God
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure that Riordan is meant to be our attacking midfielder and considering the number of goals he scores its not a completely unsuccessful tactic?

patlowe
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM

I agree that Zemmama is a bit of a luxury but that comment is ridiculous, especially when you consider the lack of commitment to their sport shown by many Scottish players over the years. Zemmama is the type of player who is always more likely to pick up injuries in Scotland as he moves quickly, sharply and is more often than not kicked off the park.

He flatters to deceive but hearing his name in the team cheers me up no end as he has some semblance of technical ability, as opposed to your average SPL no-mark. I can't say I have the same feeling when the likes of John Rankin are in the side.

The Big No.9
03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I agree that Zemmama is a bit of a luxury but that comment is ridiculous, especially when you consider the lack of commitment to their sport shown by many Scottish players over the years. Zemmama is the type of player who is always more likely to pick up injuries in Scotland as he moves quickly, sharply and is more often than not kicked off the park.

He flatters to deceive but hearing his name in the team cheers me up no end as he has some semblance of technical ability, as opposed to your average SPL no-mark. I can't say I have the same feeling when the likes of John Rankin are in the side.

Couldnt agree more, how many players at the momment get you on your feet.......none.

Zemmama for me is a class act on the park, fed up with this "luxury tag" it seems if you have skill and flair but dont run about all the time and get stuck in then thats what you are deemed to be......total ballsacks

Currie-Cabbage
04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I thought De Graaf was supposed to be an attacking midfield player but he seems to be more of a Boozy type player.

I think he looks like a good player who finds space at every opportunity, passes fairly well and tracks runners all over the place. He appears to already have taken on an organisational role and directs the play by pointing and shouting a lot (although often ignored!).

I must admit that on first instincts I was more impressed with Boozy.

hibsbollah
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Nonsense. Zemmama 'works' and is 'committed' as hard as anyone in the team. He's not built for steaming into 50/50 challenges, and nor do I want him to.

I'd like to know how he feigns a broken metatarsal (his first injury) and an anterior cruciate ligament:rolleyes:

Dan Sarf
04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Nonsense. Zemmama 'works' and is 'committed' as hard as anyone in the team. He's not built for steaming into 50/50 challenges, and nor do I want him to.

I'd like to know how he feigns a broken metatarsal (his first injury) and an anterior cruciate ligament:rolleyes:

He's a foreigner, you see. That's the type of thing they do all the time.

sesoim
04-08-2010, 07:37 PM

:bitchy: If you take a look at our record WITH and WITHOUT Zemmama, you'll find he makes a huge difference to results. I know he does look like a lightweight luxury who goes missing at times, but he has the vital cutting edge that wins games.

If we can get a target man to play beside Stokes or Riordan, a midfield of Zemmama, De Graf, Miller and Murray would do the job we need. That would just leave the defence to get sorted out....

Part/Time Supporter
04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
:bitchy: If you take a look at our record WITH and WITHOUT Zemmama, you'll find he makes a huge difference to results. I know he does look like a lightweight luxury who goes missing at times, but he has the vital cutting edge that wins games.

If we can get a target man and play Stokes or Rioirdan beside him, a midfield of Zemmama, De Graf, Miller and Murray would do the job we need. That would just leave the defence to get sorted out....

:agree:

That's been true under more than one manager.

Mixu had a very good record for a start, but Hibs fell away towards the end of that season (and the start of the following one) after he was injured. This was also somewhat true of last season, although it was starting to head a little south before he was injured (he played in the 5-1 at Perth).

erin go bragh
04-08-2010, 08:51 PM

did our season not start to go pear shape when the wee fella got injured.
put it this way id be a lot more confident tomorrow if zemmama was playing:agree:
some of the posters on here are never happy

500miles
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
We definately need another player of Zemmama's ilk. We lack someone with that wee bit pace and the bag of tricks in tight situations.

For all of our patient build up play, if you lack that in your arsenal, then a decent standard of well organised team will make things difficult for you. Sadly, there aren't too many Zemmama's kicking about.

SalfordHibs
04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Heard we have a bid in for attacking midfielder Murray Davidson of St Johnstone :wink:

Zorro
04-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Couldnt agree more, how many players at the momment get you on your feet.......none.

Zemmama for me is a class act on the park, fed up with this "luxury tag" it seems if you have skill and flair but dont run about all the time and get stuck in then thats what you are deemed to be......total ballsacks

:top marks Zemmama is no luxury - he doesn't always have an amazing game but when he does he is outstanding. When he doesn't, that still leaves him a better player to have on the pitch than many others. He does get stuck in - but his way, with the ball at his feet, getting past players, and technically a great player to watch. The fact that this can in any way be considered as luxury says a lot IMO about why Scottish football is in the state it is in - players like Zemmama are no luxury, they make the game of football that wee bit special.

Fantic
04-08-2010, 10:26 PM

A few wee flicks and tricks is often what we need and if they come off it can motivate the team to get forward and put the opposition on the backfoot. Agree that he's not had a good attendance record though.