PDA

View Full Version : :(

KWJ
02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Was speaking to a Rangers fan on another forum who was congratulating Hibs and Petrie and suggesting we could be stronger with more imaginitve signings. I went off on a wee typing spree and got a bit :(

It's a bit of a reality shock when you get fairly excited about your team only to get humped by a largely unknown quantity just as the seasons about to start. I was reading a Hibs historian telling of all our European adventures such as putting out Barcelona, beating Sporting Lisbon 7-3, Beating Dino Zoff's Napoli 5-0 after going down 4-0 in the first leg, getting the European Cup Semi Final being the highlights. Discarding the inter-toto debacles I've seen Hibs play European ties just 3 times and while we gave Anderlecht (92), Athens (2001) & to a lesser extent Dnipro (2005) good games we still went out in them all. Anderlecht was away goals, Athens extra time & we were robbed 5-1 in Dnipro () We need that bit of bite in Europe that the English teams have, and that you and Celtic seem to have in spells at least. But the Euro adventures are far too widespread to gain any sort of experience on that front. Hogg played against Dnipro & Murray agait AEK.

It's very depressing at times to have great pride in what your club has achieved in the past to witness what's happening in the present and worry that I'll never get to experience such a night. The AEK match for example was magnificent, yet we went out.

Hearts and more so Aberdeen both had decent Euro runs in the past few years and I'd give so much to see us do something similar.

I have no idea where that came from, back to your Rangers talk!

KWJ
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Thought I'd share.

Have we had any other euro affairs between Anderlecht and Athens? If so they've compeletely gone from my mind.