PDA

View Full Version : Hearts v Dinamo Zagreb 2009

Hibbyradge
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Are there any parallels to be drawn and/or lessons to be learned from the big teams' last European stand?

Hearts were utterly mauled by Zagreb in the away leg. I remember watching it in amazement as their opponents looked like world champions against wee boys. It was an incredible mis-match and Hearts were trounced 4 - 0.

However, fortunes were almost completely reversed the following week at the PBS.

Stewart scored after about 15 minutes and Hearts totally dominated the game. They scored again and it really looked like Hearts could go on and do the impossible, particularly as Zagreb's keeper looked like he'd had a private and lucrative meeting with some of Vlad's henchmen before the game.

A series of awful defensive and goalkeeping errors by Zagreb were matched by even more glaring misses by Nade and co and the game ended 2 -0.

This was a team which started with such luminaries as Thomson, Obua, Susan, Nade and Glen.

So...

M11BMO
02-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Stranger things have happened.

Keep the Faith.

EskbankHibby
02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Need an early goal.

Would get the crowd up for it then anything can happen.

ahibby
02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Need an early goal.

Would get the crowd up for it then anything can happen.

Looking back at the Athens game we had a 2-0 deficit to claw back and I was convinced at the time if we scored in the first half then we would go on to win 3-2 on aggregate. I'd love to see us pull it off this time but its a harder task than the Athens game so is unlikely, but you never know.

The Sea-gull
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Looking back at the Athens game we had a 2-0 deficit to claw back and I was convinced at the time if we scored in the first half then we would go on to win 3-2 on aggregate. I'd love to see us pull it off this time but its a harder task than the Athens game so is unlikely, but you never know.

Is it really a much harder task this time?

I know next to nowt about Maribor and I know we are another goal down now this time but that Athens team were a good side who I'm sure were in the Champs league the next season.

Maybe the biggie that makes this task harder is that there was still a lot of love and belief for that Hibs team and the then manager (who was doing a better job than Yogi is now though it did all hit the fan for him after the AEK game) meaning the atmosphere that night at ER was different to what it is likely to be on Thurs.

There is also an element of disgarce and dissappointment about losing the away leg to Maribor even though we knew nothing about them and still don't really. The 2-0 reverse to AEK in Athens was seen to be acceptable as that tie was not seen as "winnable" as this one.

Not really sure if the team that played AEK was much better than the current. Latapy was gone by then and Sauzee's legs were faltering too. The team that played at ER that night in 2001 definitely had a bit more character about it that this one seems to have.

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Are there any parallels to be drawn and/or lessons to be learned from the big teams' last European stand?

Hearts were utterly mauled by Zagreb in the away leg. I remember watching it in amazement as their opponents looked like world champions against wee boys. It was an incredible mis-match and Hearts were trounced 4 - 0.

However, fortunes were almost completely reversed the following week at the PBS.

Stewart scored after about 15 minutes and Hearts totally dominated the game. They scored again and it really looked like Hearts could go on and do the impossible, particularly as Zagreb's keeper looked like he'd had a private and lucrative meeting with some of Vlad's henchmen before the game.

A series of awful defensive and goalkeeping errors by Zagreb were matched by even more glaring misses by Nade and co and the game ended 2 -0.

This was a team which started with such luminaries as Thomson, Obua, Susan, Nade and Glen.

So...

I never thought at anytime that Hearts could've pulled that back. I seem to remember Zagreb ripping them apart at will in the 1st half of the 2nd leg but they couldn't get a goal due to poor finishing and decision making.

Nando™
02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Dinamo Zagreb barely tried in the second leg, they looked like they couldn't be arsed.

Hopefully Maribor have the same attitude.

Kaiser1962
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I think that Hearts were absolutely mauled in Zagreb and we laughed at them and now they are laughing at us, although we have a wee, albeit outside as we do have the firepower to change things, chance. Laughing at Celtic too I believe. Well' were a bit luckier in the draw and at least they look like they may go through. There appears to be a fundamental flaw in that our teams fail at the first hurdle repeatedly and there is no way teams like Hibs and Hearts should be being beaten in this manner. The system is at fault and requires a radical overhaul if Scotland is to remain competitive.

Baldy Foghorn
02-08-2010, 07:40 PM

So...

Well made post Dave, an early goal and it is game back on.....

Come on Hibees...........:notworthy: