PDA

View Full Version : Is Thursday a lose lose situation??

Ritchie
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
i can't help but feel that thursday is a lose lose situation for hibs.

i want us to progress in the europa league as much as any other hibee..... but if a miracle does happen on thursday, Yogi will be given more time.

i think that will be a disaster for our season because i cant see us improving under our current management team.

if we lose on thursday i think it will be the final nail in yogis coffin and we will get shot of him just in time for the new season...... but we will also be our of europe

i know the happy clappers will give me pelters for this but im just not looking forward to this season.... dont think i've ever been so underwhelmed by the start of a new season before. :boo hoo:

i hope that im proved wrong and yogi turns things around but i cant see it.

Phil MaGlass
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM
If we play as badly this thursday as we did last thursday (added together with some bewildering tactics) then he has to go before the season starts, its not shaping up very nicely at the moment.

RoslinInstHibby
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
yogi will be given till at least xmas before the board would even contemplate sacking him.

ahibby
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I can't see Hibs getting rid even if we lose on Thursday. They might start to think about a change but rushing in to it is not their way. If I was in the directorate I would have the board practice identifying managers from time to time just so that when they have to they have some experience at it. If our board do that then they might already have a short list in mind but I don't think they would rush in to it. I think he will be given until around Christmas.

Andy74
02-08-2010, 10:45 AM

i want us to progress in the europa league as much as any other hibee..... but if a miracle does happen on thursday, Yogi will be given more time.

i think that will be a disaster for our season because i cant see us improving under our current management team.

if we lose on thursday i think it will be the final nail in yogis coffin and we will get shot of him just in time for the new season...... but we will also be our of europe

i know the happy clappers will give me pelters for this but im just not looking forward to this season.... dont think i've ever been so underwhelmed by the start of a new season before. :boo hoo:

I hope that
m proved wrong and yogi turns things around but i cant see it.

Hughes has absolutely no chance of getting sacked, now or probably at any point during this season so best getting on with it and hoping that Hibs win games.

I wasn't that chuffed with travelling to Maribor to see us lose 3-0 but can see what he was doing, it just didn't work.

Other than that we've played friendlies and there was no danger I wanted any of the players who will play on thursday trying to play at any sort of tempo before Thursday.

If we win on thursday it can only be good for us, to suggest anyhting else is ridiculous. We play all year to get into Europe and the real prize is getting to the league stage. If you think that having a chance this year to do that is a bad thing due to a desire to change the manager, just so we can go through a lot of change again and just maybe get to the same point next year is in any way logical I disagree!

Captain Trips
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM

I do not think if we go out it's the end for Yogi or it means we will have a bad season. The key thing is its all about what he thinks he has done right or wrong and will he learn. For me he made a very bad error in selection and tactics that look likely to end our Euro run. What is key is he takes lessons from that but he will only take lessons if he feels he got it wrong.

4-5-1 with Nish alone upfront serves no purpose to me, I do not wish to see that again unless we have clear players able of counter attack. I would see out the rest of the season with Yogi see how his new players and any future ones change the dynamic.

cockneymike
02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
What utter nonsense! :grr:

Yes, Thursday was awful, and I don't hold out much hope for us progressing.

Howevever, to think that if we get beaten again, no matter how badly, Yogi will get sacked is rubbish. Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of it, RP and SL are never going to change their manager two weeks before the season.

Two years ago, when Mixu was in charge, the team was in even worse shape and had lost virtually all preseason games, including inter toto if I remember, and they didn't act then and they're hardly likely to act now.

And to be honest I think I'd agree with them. Sacking Yogi now, will not I think be the answer, if we get a couple of wins and a few things going I think we'll get on a roll again as we did last year - the SPL is rubbish; and it isn't hard to string a dozen games undefeated together when you've got decent players like we do.

However, if it's still all rubbish by the end of November then we might need to reconsider....

erskine-hibby
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
IMHO he should have gone after the 6-6 game, if not before.
He has, though, been given the chance to prove himself and although I feel he is not up to the task, I will give him time to prove me wrong...and believe me I want to be proven wrong!
To bring another manager in at this stage would be a strange decision as Yogi has brought in the players he wants, a new manager would just have to put up with that and that, I would imagine, would be a bit strange as the new man could not possibly build a team for at least a year.
I personally don't like the situation but it is the one the board have decided is the right one and we will just have to live with it and hope that Yogi proves many, including me, wrong.

down the slope
02-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Hughes has absolutely no chance of getting sacked, now or probably at any point during this season so best getting on with it and hoping that Hibs win games.

I wasn't that chuffed with travelling to Maribor to see us lose 3-0 but can see what he was doing, it just didn't work.

Other than that we've played friendlies and there was no danger I wanted any of the players who will play on thursday trying to play at any sort of tempo before Thursday.

If we win on thursday it can only be good for us, to suggest anyhting else is ridiculous. We play all year to get into Europe and the real prize is getting to the league stage. If you think that having a chance this year to do that is a bad thing due to a desire to change the manager, just so we can go through a lot of change again and just maybe get to the same point next year is in any way logical I disagree!

How is it other clubs can play games with as you put it any sort of tempo , what happened to the tempo last thursday or are they saving themselves for the home game ?. I think that there is every chance that Hughes will be away in a few weeks, i heard all is not well at ER and if the fans stay away in their droves it will be the final nail in his coffin.

Ritchie
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM

well if all the stories are true (and i dont doubt they are) on the PM board, Yogi is in a lot of trouble and i cant see him fixing it.

therefore i cant see anything good happening this season.

Keith_M
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I do not think if we go out it's the end for Yogi or it means we will have a bad season. The key thing is its all about what he thinks he has done right or wrong and will he learn. For me he made a very bad error in selection and tactics that look likely to end our Euro run. What is key is he takes lessons from that but he will only take lessons if he feels he got it wrong.

4-5-1 with Nish alone upfront serves no purpose to me, I do not wish to see that again unless we have clear players able of counter attack. I would see out the rest of the season with Yogi see how his new players and any future ones change the dynamic.

:agree:

The one thing I'd say differently is when we go out, not if.

However, even though I fully expect Hibs to lose, I think Hughes and the players have the chance of winning the fans over again. Put on a determined display, using reasonable tactics (i.e. playing to the strengths of the players) and I think most will be happy.

There are goals in this team and seeing at least a couple of them, along with tightening up at the back, would be all I'd ask for. I don't rate Hughes but would be delighted to be proved wrong, as would any true Hibby.

Keith_M
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
well if all the stories are true (and i dont doubt they are) on the PM board, Yogi is in a lot of trouble and i cant see him fixing it.

Come on, spill the beans!

Ritchie
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Come on, spill the beans!

:greengrin

i wish i could but then it kind of defeats the purpose of having a PM board and admins wouldnt be to happy id imagine! :devil:

IWasThere2016
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
How is it other clubs can play games with as you put it any sort of tempo , what happened to the tempo last thursday or are they saving themselves for the home game ?. I think that there is every chance that Hughes will be away in a few weeks, i heard all is not well at ER and if the fans stay away in their droves it will be the final nail in his coffin.

Any SPL manager has to win his home games - and maintain an expected level of home crowd .. because when clubs start losing money and seeing emptier and emptier stands it is the end for the manager - many examples of late Mowbray, Calderwood, Jeffries.

Hibbyradge
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM

I don't understand how you can say that it's a lose, lose situation for Yogi to be given more time then say you hope he turns it around? :confused:

MSK
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Come on, spill the beans!Stick a tenner in the pot ..:wink:

Ritchie
02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't understand how you can say that it's a lose, lose situation for Yogi to be given more time then say you hope he turns it around? :confused:

i want yogi to suceed at hibs so if he turns it around then that would be great...... i just dont think thats going to happen though so maybe its better he wasnt at hibs.

its all if and buts.

Andy74
02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Any SPL manager has to win his home games - and maintain an expected level of home crowd .. because when clubs start losing money and seeing emptier and emptier stands it is the end for the manager - many examples of late Mowbray, Calderwood, Jeffries.

Sometimes you need to step out of Hibs .net to get some perspective again. A week ago we had the new stand, the new pitch, new players in some of the positions we needed them in with a month of the window left, season tiockets seem to be going well and other than Bamba the mass departure that eveyone talks about here hasn't happened.

Since then we've had one meaningful game, against a clinical team who punished a couple of mistakes we made.

Sure we probably did the wrong thing by not attacking from the off but I can't honestly say we wouldn't have got a proper humping if we'd done that.

I've heard nothing about background crap and to be honest I don't rweally care as there's always something on here about that sort of stuff that rarely amounts to anyhting.

The Carlisle game, for me, should never even have been arranged and I'm delighted we didn't seem to try!

Ritchie
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Sometimes you need to step out of Hibs .net to get some perspective again. A week ago we had the new stand, the new pitch, new players in some of the positions we needed them in with a month of the window left, season tiockets seem to be going well and other than Bamba the mass departure that eveyone talks about here hasn't happened.

Since then we've had one meaningful game, against a clinical team who punished a couple of mistakes we made.

Sure we probably did the wrong thing by not attacking from the off but I can't honestly say we wouldn't have got a proper humping if we'd done that.

I've heard nothing about background crap and to be honest I don't rweally care as there's always something on here about that sort of stuff that rarely amounts to anyhting.

The Carlisle game, for me, should never even have been arranged and I'm delighted we didn't seem to try!

its not just one game though.... its also the second half of last season.

Speedway
02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Doesn't look confident does he?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8871279.stm

Expecting Rain
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Thursday should be about restoring some pride as well as trying to get a result, every game in which you represent Hibs should be considered important and in every game the players should be giving 100% regardless of the score.

down the slope
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
What we should be seeing is some sort of progress from the start of last season , maybe it's just me but i see none at all, in fact i would suggest that we have gone backwards from then. I would give any manager the benefit of the doubt as we have not got the resources of the old form but you would think that after a year a clear plan would emerge with an improvement in some areas but maybe someone will indicate where these improvements are.

Woody1985
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I've not read the whole thread other than the first few posts but here goes...

Yes, of course getting through to the next round of Europe is a devestating blow to the club. How could anyone contemplate such a thing? If our manager manages to overturn a 3 nil deficit to qualify for the next round then he will obviously be a terrible but very lucky manager.

If he doesn't, guess what, it's not the end of the world. We'll be two competitive games into the season. The games being notoriously difficult when coming up against opposition who are more advanced into their season, generally more technical and just simply better. We're still playing friendlies to get sharpness in the middle of the European ties.

Yes, we were **** for a lot of last season and he does slaver pish most of the time but now he's been given the opportunity to rectify some of the problem areas he and us identified from last season. Lets actually see if we can improve on last year and give him a chance.

People are continually complaining that we've still got 3 or 4 **** players that are part of the core of the team. Yogi has addressed or tried to address the things we were lacking last season but is still dependant on some of the guys that are in the team because we have no one else. He can't just ship them all out in one go. Celtic tried that and looked at how they ended up last year.

One thing really did make me laugh on the board this week. The 'What would you do if you were Yogi' thread, there were at least 12 variations of squads and tactical line ups from about the first 30 posts (I got bored after that) yet I can guarentee that every one of them will be on here slating Yogi on Thursday if we lose on how they would have been much better.

Cabbage1875
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, these things do a good job of making you temporarily forget how poor a Hibs team this is under Hughes. Even I was fooled by all the 'future being bright' stuff until I watched us in Maribor on Thursday and remembered just how many deficiencies this Hibs team has. And that's even if Stokesy and Riordan are in the side, not withstanding them being stuck on the bench!!:bitchy:

They were so comfortable though. It's all very well saying they punished slackness, but it's my view that the way we play the 'tippy tappy going nowhere passes' in bad areas of the pitch that gets us in bother and forces us to make these mistakes.

The way we set up we just lay back with our bellies in the air asking them to be tickled. It was borderline sabotage, and I really doubt we would have been beaten more than 3 if we had set up a bit differently. I dont buy into this idea that teams MUST play 4-5-1 to be defensive!

Here I agree with you, the sheer amount of games we have played seems too many already but the timing of the Carlisle game is rather strange for me. On the other hand, it might have been a good remedy for us to have a game straight away for the players to get a decent performance and result and get Thursday out of their systems. But alas no. The rudderless ship continues on its journey and more and more fans become more and more apathetic towards Yogi.

LeithBoozy
02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
He tried to get Russell Anderson. he also said a few doors were closed in his face, remember its not too long ago our midfield, and I would ask any hibby of an nervous disposition to look away now, consisted of, Kerr,Chisholm, Keenan and O'BRIEN. Its not easy change always takes time. :agree:

Captain Trips
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
He tried to get Russell Anderson. he also said a few doors were closed in his face, remember its not too long ago our midfield, and I would ask any hibby of an nervous disposition to look away now, consisted of, Kerr,Chisholm, Keenan and O'BRIEN. Its not easy change always takes time. :agree:

I fully accept that he tried to get in some players, however he didnt get them and played a formation that put severe pressure on the defenders he was maybe looking to replace. Sheer folly.

CallumHibs07
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Some will see it as a win-win situation.

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Hmmm...

Appoint a manager who gets us into Europe for the first time in five years, then sack him after a defeat in one competitive game?

Don't think so somehow.

What would be the criteria for success for Yogi's replacement? Get us into Europe. So he fails to do that and is sacked after a few months, in which case he's replaced by someone who steadies the ship with a view to mounting a challenge for Europe next year.

Or he does that, is successful in getting us into Europe, then loses the first few games of the following season, and is presumably sacked, just like Yogi.

Makes no sense to me.

I think the only circumstance under which I could see Yogi given the elbow would be if we were fighting relegation at Christmas.

sahib
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM

It will be a very interesting season if they all manage that. :wink:

500miles
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM

therefore i cant see anything good happening this season.

This the same PM board that says that David Murphy was on his way to Hibs, on the say so of two different sources within the club, aye? Just before he played and scored for Birmingham?