PDA

View Full Version : Goals or the lack of to be more precise

H18sry
02-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Last season we knew that we were always capable of scoring goals, with the same players available to play and us needing to score a minimum of 3 on Thursday I cannot see where the next goal is coming from. :grr:

MB62
02-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Last season we knew that we were always capable of scoring goals, with the same players available to play and us needing to score a minimum of 3 on Thursday I cannot see where the next goal is coming from. :grr:

Yogi has had all last season and this pre-season to sort out his best striking formation with these three and seems no further forward on it. The problem with playing three up front is it leaves the midfield short, asuming you play four at the back. It means these three midfield players have to be VERY GOOD as they have all the donkey work to do both defensively and creatively, at the moment, I don't believe we have three midfield players of that quality.

My other concern for Thursday is, we will have no advantage of playing on our home pitch as it will be as strange to us as them, giving the fact we will have played no competative games on it beforehand. Bad planning in my opinion.

cockneymike
02-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Yogi has had all last season and this pre-season to sort out his best striking formation with these three and seems no further forward on it. The problem with playing three up front is it leaves the midfield short, asuming you play four at the back. It means these three midfield players have to be VERY GOOD as they have all the donkey work to do both defensively and creatively, at the moment, I don't believe we have three midfield players of that quality.

My other concern for Thursday is, we will have no advantage of playing on our home pitch as it will be as starange to us as them, giving the fact we will have played no competative games on it beforehand. Bad planning in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more, just about every other manager in the spl would give their left arm for deeks and stokes. How Yogi hasn't just figured out a way to get them both into the game effectively without shortchanging the midfield is beyond me - surely that's what being a manager is all about - Solving problems and devising tactics?

As for the pitch I think it's crazy that they haven't had a home preseason friendly there. Even if it was against berwick rangers or raith rovers - just so the players can get used to the new dynamics of it all. A new surface, a new size, new sounds and wind and light issues. Even a closed door game would have been useful.

MB62
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Couldn't agree more, just about every other manager in the spl would give their left arm for deeks and stokes. How Yogi hasn't just figured out a way to get them both into the game effectively without shortchanging the midfield is beyond me - surely that's what being a manager is all about - Solving problems and devising tactics?

As for the pitch I think it's crazy that they haven't had a home preseason friendly there. Even if it was against berwick rangers or raith rovers - just so the players can get used to the new dynamics of it all. A new surface, a new size, new sounds and wind and light issues. Even a closed door game would have been useful.

Maribor will be training on our pitch on Wednesday night, as per EUFA rules. They could end up with more experience of our pitch than we have.
Hopefully a closed doors game or two will have been arranged before Thursday.

Baldy Foghorn
02-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Think we will score a few on Thursday but my real concern is of conceding that dreaded away goal.....

Craig_in_Prague
02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm 30 on Wednesday.

Any chance of a 3.0 Hibs please. :cool2: