PDA

View Full Version : What did I do to deserve this?

twiceinathens
01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Just back from Carlisle.At half time I asked myself "Did that display of turgid ineptitude really last only 45 minutes?. Surely must improve in the second half." But I severely underestimated the ability of the players to inspire such a high degree of apathy in a sizeable Hibs support. Playing possession football is a successful strategy if it a produces a final income - be it getting the ball wide and getting the ball into the box, or breaking through the defensive line with quick short passing. It does not mean constantly and slowly backtracking - often via the goalkeeper - until someone gives the ball away.
After more than half a century of following the Hibees the habit is too engrained t for me to escape. But how many others are as gullible as me?
I shudder to think what Thursday's crowd might be.

.Sean.
01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Just back from Carlisle.At half time I asked myself "Did that display of turgid ineptitude really last only 45 minutes?. Surely must improve in the second half." But I severely underestimated the ability of the players to inspire such a high degree of apathy in a sizeable Hibs support. Playing possession football is a successful strategy if it a produces a final income - be it getting the ball wide and getting the ball into the box, or breaking through the defensive line with quick short passing. It does not mean constantly and slowly backtracking - often via the goalkeeper - until someone gives the ball away.
After more than half a century of following the Hibees the habit is too engrained t for me to escape. But how many others are as gullible as me?
What happened to 'we'll support you ever more'?

Toaods
01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
What happened to 'we'll support you ever more'?

it's just a song Sean. Sadly, at times we probably do have to walk a million miles for a goal though....:greengrin

Jack
01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
A lot of the folk at the game today were 'complaining' that when they had been trying to get blocks of even just 3 together the TO couldn't do it and I'm sure I overheard someone saying the upper West was sold out.
Looks like its going to be a very good crowd.
If we can forget the negatively, at least for a wee while, and get right behind the team who knows what might happen!

Phil D. Rolls
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Guilty as charged. :boo hoo:

SloopJB
01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
One year ago I commented that despite several passes with loads of possesion we seemed to make little progress up the pitch, I stated that I would prefer to see some forward movement.

that clearly marked me as a yam and with a really clever link to my post, it was pointed out that the only movement I would know of was a bowel movement.

Oh how I laughed.

We did had a very good first half of the season though. second half? not so much.

I do subscribe to JH's view that in passing the ball we keep possesion denying the opposition chances and I can see it.
What I don't yet see, and it'll come, is once a ball is released the player moving to a forward position ready to accept the next pass whether it goes to him or not.

I'd also like to see a player move toward a pass rather than wait as sometimes the pass is intercepted.

As I said, I'm sure it will come.

The_Horde
01-08-2010, 07:37 PM
One year ago I commented that despite several passes with loads of possesion we seemed to make little progress up the pitch, I stated that I would prefer to see some forward movement.

that clearly marked me as a yam and with a really clever link to my post, it was pointed out that the only movement I would know of was a bowel movement.

Oh how I laughed.

We did had a very good first half of the season though. second half? not so much.

I do subscribe to JH's view that in passing the ball we keep possesion denying the opposition chances and I can see it.
What I don't yet see, and it'll come, is once a ball is released the player moving to a forward position ready to accept the next pass whether it goes to him or not.

I'd also like to see a player move toward a pass rather than wait as sometimes the pass is intercepted.

As I said, I'm sure it will come.

And ourselves.

RIP
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Experience tells me I should let the dust settle on yesterday. However the rush of blood that normally accompanies my posts won't allow me to wait so hear goes with the drivel

Getting There. Me, Fraaser (14) and Cammy (12) travelled wi my best mate Gav who is a regular with East Lothian Branch. The hospitality was excellent - nice bunch of lads. (Thanks Brooster). The journey was comfortable and relatively quick.

Pre-Match boozer. The Griffin was busy but no too mobbed. We settled at an upstairs table and had a read of the Hibs12thMan songsheets. The singing was good (apart from four daft laddies singing a stupid racist song!) and it was good to meet up with some of my fellow Hibs.Netters.

The Ground. We set off behind a big crowd only for them to get lost shortly after leaving the pub. We decided not to look for any action other than the fitba and walked up Warwick Road to the Stadium (ha!). Wot a toilet!. Took our place in the terracing and told my laddies to relish the experience of standing at the wa' behind the goals.

The Match. We were like the Leeds team from the seventies - the one that were slated fer the square ba'. Every player needed three or four touches and all received the ball on the back foot. Only Stokesy looked capable of a change of pace and forward momentum. Carlisle meanwhile had wingers, ball carriers, players who looked willing to drive at a defence. I was left comparing their athleticism and speed with our pedestrian approach. If Yogi thinks were are playing the Hibs way - he is sadly mistaken.

Spirit The team seemed to lack belief from the get-go. Nish's flick on's (Those he actually timed) were met by nobody making a run. He got really frustrated with the lack of support and when subbed, threw his arm in disgust. Riordan and Stokes look like two brothers who have fallen out about something really bad and it will take more than Henry Kissinger to get them playing for each other again. Stokes ignores Deek who in turn moans loudly. Playing partners? - oh dear!

Support. The singers were spread all over the place - at Carlisle it was the stand and terccaing. A few brave souls started some songs but the song choices were curious. Slagging off the home support, Wallace Mercer and stuff don't do a great deal to motivate the Hibees. Well done to those who sang in support of the boys. Unfortunately the panic merchants were also present and some starting yelling out 'kick the ba' up the park' and 'Aw fer **cks sake' at OUR OWN players from ten minutes in. Was it player nervousness transmitting itself to the supporters or vice versa - I'm not sure?

It was a missed opportunity 'cos folk had spent a lot of their hard-earned cash getting there only to be a fairly muted bunch once in the ground. For some of the game we were outsung by a bunch of ten Carlisle kids at the back of the Stand. We need to get a bit better organised. Hopefully we will show more conviction on Thursday.

All in all - no a terrible day oot but I was left feeling that there's a lot of uncertainty at the club at the momnent. On Sunday it was written all over the faces of the players and the supporters and came across in both our performances.

Under a cloud the noo - hopefully I'll be awright for Thursday

Cabbage1875
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Experience tells me I should let the dust settle on yesterday. However the rush of blood that normally accompanies my posts won't allow me to wait so hear goes with the drivel

Getting There. Me, Fraaser (14) and Cammy (12) travelled wi my best mate Gav who is a regular with East Lothian Branch. The hospitality was excellent - nice bunch of lads. (Thanks Brooster). The journey was comfortable and relatively quick.

Pre-Match boozer. The Griffin was busy but no too mobbed. We settled at an upstairs table and had a read of the Hibs12thMan songsheets. The singing was good (apart from four daft laddies singing a stupid racist song!) and it was good to meet up with some of my fellow Hibs.Netters.

The Ground. We set off behind a big crowd only for them to get lost shortly after leaving the pub. We decided not to look for any action other than the fitba and walked up Warwick Road to the Stadium (ha!). Wot a toilet!. Took our place in the terracing and told my laddies to relish the experience of standing at the wa' behind the goals.

The Match. We were like the Leeds team from the seventies - the one that were slated fer the square ba'. Every player needed three or four touches and all received the ball on the back foot. Only Stokesy looked capable of a change of pace and forward momentum. Carlisle meanwhile had wingers, ball carriers, players who looked willing to drive at a defence. I was left comparing their athleticism and speed with our pedestrian approach. If Yogi thinks were are playing the Hibs way - he is sadly mistaken.

Spirit The team seemed to lack belief from the get-go. Nish's flick on's (Those he actually timed) were met by nobody making a run. He got really frustrated with the lack of support and when subbed, threw his arm in disgust. Riordan and Stokes look like two brothers who have fallen out about something really bad and it will take more than Henry Kissinger to get them playing for each other again. Stokes ignores Deek who in turn moans loudly. Playing partners? - oh dear!

Support. The singers were spread all over the place - at Carlisle it was the stand and terccaing. A few brave souls started some songs but the song choices were curious. Slagging off the home support, Wallace Mercer and stuff don't do a great deal to motivate the Hibees. Well done to those who sang in support of the boys. Unfortunately the panic merchants were also present and some starting yelling out 'kick the ba' up the park' and 'Aw fer **cks sake' at OUR OWN players from ten minutes in. Was it player nervousness transmitting itself to the supporters or vice versa - I'm not sure?

It was a missed opportunity 'cos folk had spent a lot of their hard-earned cash getting there only to be a fairly muted bunch once in the ground. For some of the game we were outsung by a bunch of ten Carlisle kids at the back of the Stand. We need to get a bit better organised. Hopefully we will show more conviction on Thursday.

All in all - no a terrible day oot but I was left feeling that there's a lot of uncertainty at the club at the momnent. On Sunday it was written all over the faces of the players and the supporters and came across in both our performances.

Under a cloud the noo - hopefully I'll be awright for Thursday
Sounds a familiar tale from my experience in Maribor in all honesty. The only thing that spoiled the trip was the 90 minutes where I watched Hibs create the square root of nothing, then the majority of the players including Yogi trudged down the tunnel without even acknowledging the Hibees who had made the trip. All rather galling to say the least.

the_ginger_hibee
02-08-2010, 06:52 PM
For me that made Thursday 10 times worse.

Still reeling about it now to be honest. For the fans to put in so much effort, time and money in going to the game, the players or management couldn't even be bothered to walk over to the crowd. Felt more appreciated by the Maribor players truth be told.

fatbloke
02-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Yep me too. by the way yer no gullible just dedicated and daft like the rest of us. Also from yesterday Carlisle have the scariest looking stewards in the world:thumbsup:

RoYO!
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Heard about that from quite a few people- haven't made long distance pre season matches myself. Think it's pretty disgracefull tbh. Led from the top down. No matter what type of result an acknowledgement has to be made to the fans.

It's basics.

And I feel it stems from there being unrest at the club. And perhaps rock bottom motivation.

Callum_62
03-08-2010, 12:06 AM
And I feel it stems from there being unrest at the club. And perhaps rock bottom motivation.

but about 2 weeks ago, we had a a good squad (way better than last year)....over reaction to 1 poor result and a friendly defeat.