PDA

View Full Version : What was the reaction like after the Dnipro game?

Hibbyradge
01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Dnipro were an ordinary Ukrainian league team and we had great players.

We got hammered 5-1 in the away game but I can't remember the same level of hysteria or abuse being levelled at the manager despite naive defending (a Tony Mowbray trademark, iirc).

Funny innit?

Hibbyradge
01-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Hibernian: Malkowski, Beuzelin (Fletcher 66), Caldwell, Murphy, O'Connor (Morrow 77), Riordan, Sproule, Stewart (Shiels 72), Hogg, Thomson, Whittaker.
Subs Not Used: Simon Brown, Glass, Konte, Rudge.

Sprouleflyer
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM

We got hammered 5-1 in the away game but I can't remember the same level of hysteria or abuse being levelled at the manager despite naive defending (a Tony Mowbray trademark, iirc).

Funny innit?

Mowbray is a god, no one would ever raise a voice of dissent about Mowbray!!!

Joke apart, seem to remember that this was the first game that doubts were beginning to show with Zibi (seemed alright up to that game), also was it not a Hogg and Caldwell horror show at centre back?

the_ginger_hibee
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
We went for the win though. Even pulled it to 2-1, one more goal and we were through. The other night was clearly play for a 1-0 defeat or a 0-0 draw. The difference in attitude is probably why there is added hysteria. Deservedly so I say.

hibs0666
01-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Funny innit?

In Dnipro we played to our strengths and came up short. In Maribor we played to our weaknesses and the outcome was inevitable. Hughes reckoned there was a chance he would end up with egg on his face and he was 100% spot-on.

Beefster
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Funny innit?

As far as I remember, disappointment with the realisation that we had tried to win the game but inexperience on the part of both the manager and players had gotten the better of us.

The circumstances aren't remotely similar though, other than we were playing in Europe. We've been mince for pretty much 2010, Hughes is an experienced manager, our team is much older, our wage bill is much higher and Mowbray didn't leave O'Connor and Riordan on the bench to play Morrow up front on his own.

Toaods
01-08-2010, 11:11 AM
a far bigger pitch, stadium and home crowd.

That aside, I would confidently say that although Dnipro were relatively unknown(that was more to do with the fact they were hidden behind 'the iron curtain' previously.

IMHO Dnipro were a far superior team to Maribor.

Phil D. Rolls
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
The difference in attitudes speaks volumes. On the whole, fans can spot a crock - although it sometimes takes a while for the penny to drop. So maybe, the supporters were more accepting of the Dnipro result, because they appreciated that the manager was doing a good job overall.

Yogi has won two games since January (is this right????:confused:). Mowbray's record wasn't as bad, and - on the whole - he didn't make as many cringeworthy remarks in the press and on TV.

Yogi has yet to get himself into Mowbray's league. He is rapidly heading towards Duff Jimmy status IMHO. It's in his hands to fix it.

Keith_M
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
The difference in attitudes speaks volumes. On the whole, fans can spot a crock - although it sometimes takes a while for the penny to drop. So maybe, the supporters were more accepting of the Dnipro result, because they appreciated that the manager was doing a good job overall.

Yogi has won two games since January (is this right????:confused:). Mowbray's record wasn't as bad, and - on the whole - he didn't make as many cringeworthy remarks in the press and on TV.

Yogi has yet to get himself into Mowbray's league. He is rapidly heading towards Duff Jimmy status IMHO. It's in his hands to fix it.

:agree:

What he said.

I hasten to add, though, that I'll be giving the team my backing on Thursday regardless and I'd hope everyone else does the same. Let's face it, this is going to be our only home tie this season and I for one am making the most of it. Now where did I put my Vuvuzela..........

pacorosssco
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Hibs IMHO were very unlucky against Dnipro. Not scoring at home cost us. The game there we suffered from rather dubious refereeing decisions. Caldwell was mince something Mowbray never noticed till he pitched up at Celtic but at 2-1 we were very in the tie and at 3-1 we had most of the ball. Two late goals when players were tired flattered Dnipro who were a decent side and Flethcher had a perfectly good goal ruled out.

Great memories of the trip though.

No comparison to other night . Leaving Stokes and Riorden on bench was a HUGE mistake.

zlatan
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM

He's right you know.

We went to score goals, and did just that when we got the equaliser. If we hadn't conceded within about 20 seconds of going level then who knows?

That Dnipro team was a very good side with one or two great individuals (Nazarenko and the lad that scored the late double) that made up a fair bit of the Ukraine side that went on to reach the 2nd round of the World Cup in 2006.

SaulGoodman
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Now where did I put my Vuvuzela..........

I know where I'll be putting it if you bring it to Easter Road :agree:

Nah, I'll be coming along too. Make the most of it :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM

That aside, I would confidently say that although Dnipro were relatively unknown(that was more to do with the fact they were hidden behind 'the iron curtain' previously.

Were they? They didn't get that far in Europe after beating Hibs and Aberdeen knocked them out a couple of years later on away goals.

I think the difference is due to an increase in expectation level. Mowbray came in as a breath of fresh air after the Williamson years and pretty much got a free pass for any deficiencies (signing duff players or naive tactics), which were later exposed at both WBA and Celtic.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM
100% correct FR. Having attended both games the Dnipro game was much easier to accept than Maribor is.

Part/Time Supporter
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Were they? They didn't get that far in Europe after beating Hibs and Aberdeen knocked them out a couple of years later on away goals.

I think the difference is due to an increase in expectation level. Mowbray came in as a breath of fresh air after the Williamson years and pretty much got a free pass for any deficiencies (signing duff players or naive tactics), which were later exposed at both WBA and Celtic.

Having checked, they didn't get any further. Beating Hibs got them into a group with Middlesbrough, AZ, Litex Lovech and Grasshoppers. They lost to the first three of those (two at home and 3-0 at 'Boro) and then beat Grasshoppers in a dead rubber. They also only finished 6th in the Ukrainian league that year, >30 points behind both Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev.

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Funny innit?

I can't remember either. Maybe because it was so long ago? Can the admins get any archived threads from around the time of the match?

iwasthere1972
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Funny innit?

IIRC we got cheated and they never deserved to win 5-1.

Toaods
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM

well, that's why I specifically posted IMHO - because that's what it was.:greengrin

Historical club stats are great but as everyone knows they don't cover everything.

Dnipro when we played them had a good team which was largely broken up towards the end of the season and thereafter, as various good prospects left for the better lifestyles moves to other Euro football can provide.

But in essence, we had one of of our best teams for some time so pound for pound it would have taken a better quality team to see us off over two legs than the standards required to turn over the current bunch of misfits we have to endure at the club.

I would reckon a poll amongst those attending all four games against Maribor and Dnipro will find the latter to be voted the superior team.

IWasThere2016
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Dnipro were better than Maribor

Hibs were better then than they are now.

We were unlucky against Dnipro. We should have won at home - and got some bad breaks and poor decisions against too

Against the Dnipro 5-1, I remember being proud of Hibs and posting so.

Part/Time Supporter
01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
well, that's why I specifically posted IMHO - because that's what it was.:greengrin

Historical club stats are great but as everyone knows they don't cover everything.

Dnipro when we played them had a good team which was largely broken up towards the end of the season and thereafter, as various good prospects left for the better lifestyles moves to other Euro football can provide.

But in essence, we had one of of our best teams for some time so pound for pound it would have taken a better quality team to see us off over two legs than the standards required to turn over the current bunch of misfits we have to endure at the club.

I would reckon a poll amongst those attending all four games against Maribor and Dnipro will find the latter to be voted the superior team.

It might be your opinion, but it's a myth.

Their two best players are still there now (Nazarenko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serhiy_Nazarenko) and Rusol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Rusol)). And they were also there when they were knocked out by Aberdeen.

sesoim
01-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Funny innit?

No.

That was a poor result, but we didn't yet know that how good some of our players were. Anyway, that result came in amongst a good run for the team in the League. Under Mowbray we appeared to be going places, so most of us were prepared to write-it off as a blip.

The Maribor result comes on the tail end of six bad months. The only place Hibs seem to be going under Hughes is down (unless Petrie lets him have yet more money compared to most of his predecessors).

Toaods
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
It might be your opinion, but it's a myth.

Their two best players are still there now (Nazarenko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serhiy_Nazarenko) and Rusol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Rusol)). And they were also there when they were knocked out by Aberdeen.

Do you use Wiki to convince yourself what should be fact and myth..:faf:

Although both good (Rusol was a bit shaky at ER) who decided these two were their best players?

My own opinion was that their best player was Kornilenko who tore the arse out of us with his pace. Cuurently on teh books at Zenit(Wee Dick Advocaat signing?), you may recall West Ham were after him at the turn of the year.

The blonde striker Ruslan was banned from the Dnipro leg and even allowing for that Shelaev was very good. Add to that the subbie that crashed a double in.

Tony Mowbray like me, knew what he was watching : "But I am proud of the players for the way they kept playing and searching for the goal and trying to play fairly. "There are lessons there for us all to learn with the quality finishing at this level and individual talent. Hopefully, we can take our players to that level and experiences like this we will only get better."

I doubt Yogi will churn those words out...ehhh, no , wait a minute he probably will.

nb...according to The Guardian...Louis Van Gall preferred to play them ahead of Boro...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/oct/05/uefa.sport1

...I'm sure Wiki will be right though...:bye:

Hibbyradge
01-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Why do you say Dnipro were better, TQM? Ive seen both teams and I think Maribor are much stronger than Dnipro were.

Werent they unlucky to be knocked out of the Champions League last year?

Toaods
01-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Why do you say Dnipro were better, TQM? Ive seen both teams and I think Maribor are much stronger than Dnipro were.

Werent they unlucky to be knocked out of the Champions League last year?

..must have been two bits of bad luck though....

2009/10 UEFA Champions League

2nd qualifying round

FC WIT Georgia 3–1 0-0 3-1

3rd qualifying round

FC Zürich 0–3 3-2 3-5

Hibbyradge
02-08-2010, 04:40 AM
..must have been two bits of bad luck though....

2009/10 UEFA Champions League

2nd qualifying round

FC WIT Georgia 3–1 0-0 3-1

3rd qualifying round

FC Zürich 0–3 3-2 3-5

Well, an away win and scoring 3 goals in Zurich (who went on to beat AC milan at the San siro) is pretty impressive and I doubt Dnipro could have emulated that.

From this report (http://nl.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000026/match=2000331/postmatch/report/index.html), it looks like Zurich's keeper kept them in the tie.

IWasThere2016
02-08-2010, 05:59 AM
FAO Radge - I reckon Dnipro were very decent. I'm not saying Maribor aren't either but Dnipro beat a decent Hibs side; the likes of Carlisle, Ross Co, Accies and St Johnstone have beat Yogi's Hibs. Presently I'd fancy Montrose would give us a fright over two legs!

Part/Time Supporter
02-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Do you use Wiki to convince yourself what should be fact and myth..:faf:

Although both good (Rusol was a bit shaky at ER) who decided these two were their best players?

The fact they've both won the best part of 50 caps for Ukraine?

My own opinion was that their best player was Kornilenko who tore the arse out of us with his pace. Cuurently on teh books at Zenit(Wee Dick Advocaat signing?), you may recall West Ham were after him at the turn of the year.

Kornilenko hasn't played regularly for Zenit and is now being loaned to Tom Tomsk. Wasn't Advocaat away by then anyway???

The blonde striker Ruslan was banned from the Dnipro leg and even allowing for that Shelaev was very good.

Que? There was a player Ruslan Rotan with them until the 2005 season, but he was sold to Dynamo Kiev before they played Hibs...

Shelayev was also a good player, but he was at Dnipro throughout the whole period. Your argument earlier was that the team was "broken up" after they played Hibs, which simply isn't true. Pretty much the same team were knocked out by Aberdeen and haven't done much in the Ukraine either.

nb...according to The Guardian...Louis Van Gall preferred to play them ahead of Boro...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/oct/05/uefa.sport1

...I'm sure Wiki will be right though...:bye:

What he meant is that out of the group of seeds they could have played, he didn't want Dnipro and Litex but did want Boro and Grasshoppers. That's not the same thing as saying "Dnipro are a better side than Boro". Boro would have been in the band of top or second top seeds, instead of them they could have drawn Roma or Monaco. Dnipro would have been in the fourth tier of seeds, instead of whom they could have drawn a relative diddy. As it turned out, Dnipro pretty much played like one...

Caversham Green
02-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Yogi has won two games since January (is this right????:confused:).
Naw. We've beaten Montrose, Killie, Falkirk and United since 1 Feb - we won four in the month of January.

smurf
02-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Difference was the spirit. It was in abundance over the two legs v Dnipro. Much more than has been evident all of 2010 in this current lot.

Steve-O
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Dnipro were better than Maribor

Hibs were better then than they are now.

We were unlucky against Dnipro. We should have won at home - and got some bad breaks and poor decisions against too

Against the Dnipro 5-1, I remember being proud of Hibs and posting so.

Yip. We hit the post twice in that first game and should've at least got a 1-0 win to go over there with.

2nd leg lost an early goal, got back to 1-1, then lost another goal seconds later! They got a dodgy pen for 3-1, scored another couple of late goals on the break when we were chasing the game. Not forgetting the most ludicrous offside decision I've probably ever seen that denied us a 2nd goal, as well as a couple of other chances towards the end - we should really have lost that game 4-3 rather than 5-1.

By the sounds of it, they were just pish in Maribor.

clashcityhibby
02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
My memory of the Dnipro game may be abit hazy due to numerous lagers that were about 10p a bottle :wink: What I do mind is that we played pretty well in the game. They scored seconds after our goal, infact I think we were still celebrating. At the end of the game there was no real anger, infact I mind the Dnipro fans trying to taunt us with continuos 'neepro neepro' chants at the end but we joined in (definitely the beer) and they applauded us as they left. 5-1 Was a very harsh result, still magic memories of that trip though :greengrin

silverhibee
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM

That is scary if true.

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
That is scary if true.

We won 8 competitive games from 1/1/10.

Part/Time Supporter
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
FAO Radge - I reckon Dnipro were very decent. I'm not saying Maribor aren't either but Dnipro beat a decent Hibs side; the likes of Carlisle, Ross Co, Accies and St Johnstone have beat Yogi's Hibs. Presently I'd fancy Montrose would give us a fright over two legs!

It would have been tricky for Mowbray's side to lose to any of those teams given that Hibs never played any of them during his time with Hibs.

His team did lose, however, to Yogi's Falkirk at home. Twice.

Hibbyradge
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
It would have been tricky for Mowbray's side to lose to any of those teams given that Hibs never played any of them during his time with Hibs.

As I posted elsewhere, we had some awful defeats under Mowbray.

We lost 3 -0 to Livingston, ICT and Aberdeen in his first year, then shipped 4 to the Yams on 3 different occasions and another 4-0 to the Sheep.

Not to mention the number of times we lost gamess in the last 5 - 10 minutes.

Mowbray was a breath of fresh air after Williamson and as a result, we put up with a lot.

The comparison with subsequent teams, therefore, is skewed.

IWasThere2016
02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Dave - did you no start the comparisons? :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
That is scary if true.

We won 8 competitive games from 1/1/10.

Thanks, I didn't think it could be as bad as 2. Albeit the 8 include victories over Irvine Meadow and Montrose, and a last day gimme from the Arabs.

Danderhall Hibs
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks, I didn't think it could be as bad as 2. Albeit the 8 include victories over Irvine Meadow and Montrose, and a last day gimme from the Arabs.

:agree: Also included a win at Parkhead and a 5-1 home win against the team that were best of the bottom 6.

Iggy Pope
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM

As I posted elsewhere, we had some awful defeats under Mowbray.

We lost 3 -0 to Livingston, ICT and Aberdeen in his first year, then shipped 4 to the Yams on 3 different occasions and another 4-0 to the Sheep.

Not to mention the number of times we lost gamess in the last 5 - 10 minutes.

Mowbray was a breath of fresh air after Williamson and as a result, we put up with a lot.

The comparison with subsequent teams, therefore, is skewed.

FK Vetra? Odense? I was at them both as well as Maribor and Dnipro and I can't say I felt ecstatic after any of 'em.
Although Elfsborg was where I felt worst.

Phil D. Rolls
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
:agree: Also included a win at Parkhead and a 5-1 home win against the team that were best of the bottom 6.

Fair comment, but it was a very poor run of form between January and May, and those who saw the performances would not say that Hibs had poor luck in that period.

At the end of the day, the things that stick out for me are surrendering a 6-2 lead and failing to hold onto a lead against a battling - but far from classy - First Division side. Those are the things that point to the lack of spirit in the side last year.

Iggy Pope
02-08-2010, 07:55 PM

The crowd might have been bigger in Dnipro (I guess you can Wiki that like you seem to have done a lot of further down this thread), but the Maribor home crowd had a vitalising effect on their team.
I was much more taken with them than I was with Dnipro's lot. I can assure you they were very impressive.

Hibs performances in both these games were poor. At least now the tie isn't arithmetically over yet. I don't need to check the history books to know that coming away from Dnipro, we were pumped. And upside down at that.

Kato
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Yogi has yet to get himself into Mowbray's league.

He never will be in his league - whatever Mowbray's shortcomings.

Hibbyradge
02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Dave - did you no start the comparisons? :wink:

Garry, I compared the reaction to an away defeat. :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

:rolleyes:

Toaods
02-08-2010, 10:32 PM

...I recall leaving both defeats at full time, impressed with the Dutch style he had instilled in his team.

The crowd might have been bigger in Dnipro (I guess you can Wiki that like you seem to have done a lot of further down this thread), but the Maribor home crowd had a vitalising effect on their team.
I was much more taken with them than I was with Dnipro's lot. I can assure you they were very impressive.

Hibs performances in both these games were poor. At least now the tie isn't arithmetically over yet. I don't need to check the history books to know that coming away from Dnipro, we were pumped. And upside down at that.

That will be up the thread on these settings...:wink:

Obviously not having been in Maribor, I can't give a true perspective but it's all about opinions as to what players find inspiring, etc.

In terms of fans, I was greatly impressed with (surely?) the same fans as they supported their country in that very stadium v Wales. Cracking game, cracking crowd.

Can say the same for the Ukrainians though....they are without doubt mental. Did you see them when Engerlund played there?

The 'links' you mention were used in reference to the post quoted that had hyperlinked Wiki stuff as though guaranteed to be fact....but glad to see your looking out for me though, I fear I may have lost that battle if not the war .:cool2: