PDA

View Full Version : Question Emirates Cup

Wilbur
31-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Do you think with the stadium complete, and the pitch bigger and better that we could host a similar cup as the Emirates next pre-season? What team would you realistically like to see at ER? I don't see any reason why Hibs shouldn't consider doing this. Could be a nice wee money spinner.

I'd like to see Hibs, Newcastle, Juventus and Atletico Madrid. Teams we maybe have a chance of gutting involved??

Thoughts?

down-the-slope
31-07-2010, 04:59 PM
could we not have the Jumbos and a couple of other teams and play for the Edinburgh cup :wink:

Wilbur
31-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Did we no try that before in the guise of the "festival cup" but with just us and the yams? We need to get quality opposition involved me thinks!

lyonhibs
31-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Is anyone else going to this tomorrow? A wee Oxford - London day trip for me. £25 for 2 v decent games of football in a cracking stadium. Its a great setup :-D

hibee92
31-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Think those teams might be a bit out of reach, and I dunno whether sky sports would cover a pre season tournament with the Amsterdam, Emirates, Dubai and American ones being quite regular.

As much as I would love it, and it would definately benefit the club in many ways, I can't see it happening.

PETRIE!!!:grr::greengrin

Edina Erin
31-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Anyone remember the Hibs Hearts Man City Coventry City pre season "cup" on the early 80's - that was my first derby.
Hibs beat Hearts 2-0 on the Sunday, immediately followed by Coventry beating Man City . Hibs then beat Cov in the "final" on the Wednesday night.

Calvin
31-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Is anyone else going to this tomorrow? A wee Oxford - London day trip for me. £25 for 2 v decent games of football in a cracking stadium. Its a great setup :-D

Not bad, just paid £450 for two tickets to the Arsenal v Bolton game in September!

Pretty Boy
31-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Edinburgh has loads of twin cities, surely we could look into organising something along witth teams from these cities.

Krakow, Munich, Florence, Nice and Kiev instantly spring to mind as football towns. Whilst getting the 'big' teams from these cities might be tough some of the 'wee' teams aren't bad. Maybe try to tempt one of the big teams to bump up the gates.

Hibs, Cracovia, 1860 Munich and Fiorentina would be decent.

Theres also cities like San Diego, Aalborg and Vancouver to consider.

steviecarnie
31-07-2010, 07:49 PM
One major hurdle - who'd pay for it? Emirates are obviously footing the bill for Lyon and the Unwashed. While it may be written into the contract of AC that they must appear, They'll obviously recoup some of the cost thru selling it to Sky but surely not all of it, Would we be able to attract a big sponsor if we cant get it on the telly?

bod
01-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Not bad, just paid £450 for two tickets to the Arsenal v Bolton game in September!

wheres are you sittiung for that price , in the dugout ?

lyonhibs
01-08-2010, 08:36 AM
r u flying 1st class Emirates to the centre circle, then having free booze and munchies? If not, I cnt help feeling that u'v been had! :-P

deeks01
02-08-2010, 02:38 AM
how about this - the north east shield played between hibs , hearts , newcastle and sunderland. Exact same format as the emirates cup! The combination of those 4 teams in one cup could attract a decent sponsor for funding. Would be a good money spinner and a good pre season warm up for the players and fans!

In fact why not make it a 4 year contract between the teams as in the trophy held every pre season for 4 seasons by a different club each season! potential earner for each club and a couple of great trips for each set of fans!

coppers may not like it but I'm quite taken on with that wee brain wave...... PETRIE!! get it read! ;)

:greengrin:

MacBean
02-08-2010, 09:00 AM
how about this - the north east shield played between hibs , hearts , newcastle and sunderland. Exact same format as the emirates cup! The combination of those 4 teams in one cup could attract a decent sponsor for funding. Would be a good money spinner and a good pre season warm up for the players and fans!

In fact why not make it a 4 year contract between the teams as in the trophy held every pre season for 4 seasons by a different club each season! potential earner for each club and a couple of great trips for each set of fans!

coppers may not like it but I'm quite taken on with that wee brain wave...... PETRIE!! get it read! ;)

:greengrin:

I would thoroughly enjoy that!

Calvin
02-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Club executive level, three course meal etc.

HibbyAndy
02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

:hilarious

:top marks:greengrin

7Hero
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
yes good idea, would have to be outwith august though, would be a nightmare getting the teams into hotels, but edinburgh would be a viable option for a lot of treams, obviously not top tier.

reckon we should do it before hearts think about it too..

LancashireHibby
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
No chance of Sunderland and Newcastle being allowed to take part in such a tournament.

Would probably need one English side with a big away following to boost the crowd (hence the unwashed getting a big allocation at the Emirates) but I like the 'twin city' idea. No reason why the likes of Bayern would turn it down either, they will still need pre-season games as much as anyone else and wouldn't be too concerned about the cost of playing abroad.