PDA

View Full Version : Financial ramifications of Europa early exit

Spike Mandela
30-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Barring a monumental fightback we appear to be out early in Europe yet again. I'm sure the club were hoping for at least one extra round and a draw against a big club for some financial gain.

Does anybody think this could prompt a late in the window sale of Deeks or Stokes to help the books. wouldn't bloody surprise me.:bitchy:

Mikey
30-07-2010, 06:24 PM
No.

Spike Mandela
30-07-2010, 06:35 PM
No.

Why so certain Mikey?. I'm sure part of the attraction of staying for Stokes was European football.

If Hibs are out of Europe and a club bid £2m to test Hibs resolve for Stokes, well, we do have previous.

marinello59
30-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Why so certain Mikey?. I'm sure part of the attraction of staying for Stokes was European football.

If Hibs are out of Europe and a club bid £2m to test Hibs resolve for Stokes, well, we do have previous.

My guess would be that any revenue from a European run would be regarded as a bonus, the sums will have been done without counting on any money from that source so no extra pressure for the club to sell.
Would Stokes genuinely have looked forward to a long European run? The players would surely know what a lottery the early qualifying rounds can be.

Davy Mac
30-07-2010, 07:56 PM
My guess would be that any revenue from a European run would be regarded as a bonus, the sums will have been done without counting on any money from that source so no extra pressure for the club to sell.
Would Stokes genuinely have looked forward to a long European run? The players would surely know what a lottery the early qualifying rounds can be.

Interesting reply, maybe it should have been ''make Europa League and you can stay Yogi''.

Don't get me wrong, it was a tough game but reactions speak volumes for me, in my job - if I don't produce results I get emptied.............just maybe, there's not enough pressure on the Manager if expectations are so low i.e. it's a bonus.

He doesn't look like a man under pressure to me (Yogi).

smurf
30-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Hughes gives off the impression of a man who thinks he is doing a very good job. Hence the reason last week he was telling us where JC went wrong at ER....

Sumner
30-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Sell Nish for bundles - after all he is 1st choice striker, eh :confused:

sahib
30-07-2010, 08:13 PM

I would bite their hand off if I was Petrie.

marinello59
30-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Interesting reply, maybe it should have been ''make Europa League and you can stay Yogi''.

Don't get me wrong, it was a tough game but reactions speak volumes for me, in my job - if I don't produce results I get emptied.............just maybe, there's not enough pressure on the Manager if expectations are so low i.e. it's a bonus.

He doesn't look like a man under pressure to me (Yogi).

Whoa. There is a difference between suggesting the club are under no financial pressure to perform well in Europe and saying that Yogi is under no pressure to do well there.

jdships
30-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Think you will find if you read and listen that teams in Scotland , and probably England , do not include "European cash" or "cup run cash " in their projected finances
Rangers and Celtic certainly don't neither do Man Utd !!

Pretty Boy
30-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I would bite their hand off if I was Petrie.

And leave us with Colin Nish as our only alternative goalscoring threat if Deek was to pick up an injury or suspension.

Glad to see you have thought that one through.

CropleyWasGod
30-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Think you will find if you read and listen that teams in Scotland , and probably England , do not include "European cash" or "cup run cash " in their projected finances

As I understand it, the better run clubs assume that they will be knocked out in the first round of every cup they enter. Sound business sense, IMO. :agree:

jgl07
31-07-2010, 01:36 AM
I think you will find that Rangers certainly do include European income in their financial projections. Otherwise they could be in administration by now.

Caversham Green
31-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I think you will find that Rangers certainly do include European income in their financial projections. Otherwise they could be in administration by now.

Rangers have a guaranteed six matches in Europe so they will have included those in their projections. They would be very foolhardy to base their budget on any more than that.

jdships
31-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Sorry, if you check Ranger's and Celtic's accounts you will find they DON'T
Have checked with my "Sports Club's Accounting" friend and he assures me it is standard practice in SPL and EPL not to include European/National Cup's potential earnings in the forthcoming season's " predicted revenue"
Their projected budget's are based on the previous season's taking's ( gate , S T's , sponsorship etc. ) while taking into consideration any potential rise/fall in income due to results etc.
Neither do they include possible monies from transfer's ( see HFC accounts)
No business could operate on a "perhaps/ maybe" basis re revenue forcasts .

:rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
31-07-2010, 09:15 AM
As I understand it, the better run clubs assume that they will be knocked out in the first round of every cup they enter. Sound business sense, IMO. :agree:

IIRC, Hibs budget for getting the quarter finals of the two cup competitions as a minimum.

CropleyWasGod
31-07-2010, 09:22 AM
IIRC, Hibs budget for getting the quarter finals of the two cup competitions as a minimum.

Really? I would be surprised, given Rod's background.

I don't doubt that he and the Board will expect that from the manager... and that will be part of the job appraisal,........ but in financial terms I think it would be unwise to make such an assumption.

Apart from anything else, do they assume a couple of games against diddy clubs and a QF against the OF? Reality and experience would suggest they should assume a QF exit at the hands of the diddy team....:rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
31-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Apart from anything else, do they assume a couple of games against diddy clubs and a QF against the OF? Reality and experience would suggest they should assume a QF exit at the hands of the diddy team....:rolleyes:

The CIS is seeded for the first few rounds anyway, so I'm guessing that will play part of the thinking.

CropleyWasGod
31-07-2010, 09:28 AM
The CIS is seeded for the first few rounds anyway, so I'm guessing that will play part of the thinking.

<s******> you would think they'd have learned by now...

Barney McGrew
31-07-2010, 09:30 AM
<s******> you would think they'd have learned by now...

:greengrin