PDA

View Full Version : You're the boss for the second leg - what do you do? (Merged)

matty_f
30-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Put yourself in Yogi's shoes for the second leg. How do you approach the game? What tactics are you using, and what's your starting 11?

Hibs90
30-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Smith

Hart Hogg Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Miller De Graaf

Stokes Nish Riordan

Go for it.

Sas_The_Hibby
30-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Keep Maribor guessing by not playing your top scorers?

At The Edge
30-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Smith

Hart Hogg Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Miller De Graaf

Stokes Nish Riordan

Go for it.

as above, although take out Hogg, Stick in the young lad Stephens in his place, goalie i'm not sure, defo 3 up front though

matty_f
30-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Smith

Hart Hogg Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Miller De Graaf

Stokes Nish Riordan

Go for it.

as above, although take out Hogg, Stick in the young lad Stephens in his place, goalie i'm not sure, defo 3 up front though

Didn't everyone agree last season that 4-3-3 doesn't work, and that our midfield gets over-run when we play it?:confused:

Cameron1875
30-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Stack

Thicot Bamba Hanlon

Wotherspoon Murray

Mcbride
Miller Degraff

stokes Deeks

3 centre backs with the two wing backs bombing on. Yogi used it at tannadice in january for 2nd half and it seemed to work. 4-3-3 has anailiated us time and time again so if hughes plays that we are done for.

marinello59
30-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Didn't everyone agree last season that 4-3-3 doesn't work, and that our midfield gets over-run when we play it?:confused:

Only because Yogi wasn't playing the best squad outside the Old Firm in the correct formation. Now that all the players are pish except Stokes and Riordan it'll be OK.:agree:

Darth Hibbie
30-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Brown

Stephens ... Bamba ... Hanlon

Murray

Wotherspoon ... Miller ... McBride ... De Graff

Stokes ... Deeks

steviecarnie
30-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Smith

Hart Bamba Stephens Murray

McBride
Spoony Miller Galbraith

Riordan
Stokes

if maribor are gonna sit in bamba or murray could be moved into midfield releaseing galbraith or spoony to get themselves and the ball forward to support riordan and stokes.

eastmainsmsh
30-07-2010, 06:13 PM
.................................................. ............stack................................. ........................................

..........................stephens................ ......Bamba.......................hanlon ...............................

........................................de graaf.........................murray.............. .......................................

...................wotherspoon.................... ....miller...........................galbraith

........................................stokes.... ................................riordan

rennie_hfc
30-07-2010, 06:14 PM
------------------Stack
----Hart---Hogg-----Bamba---Murray
------------Miller----McBride
Wotherspoon--------------Galbraith
------------Stokes----Riordan

Haymaker
30-07-2010, 06:15 PM
go 2-3-5 and go for it.

iwasthere1972
30-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I would play a 5-5-1 formation with no goalkeeper. Well whoever is between the sticks is normally pretty useless and anyway with five in midfield and five across the back we won't need one. Lone striker Nish can keep their goalkeeper occupied and perhaps even play Ludo with him to pass the time.

Let Malibor have all the possession for the first 75 minutes wherby they run themselves into the ground then unleash Jim O'Rourke and Laurie Reilly on them. They won't know what's hit them and before you can say "Bobs your teapot" we're through to the next round planning an away trip to Liverpool.

Bring it on. :agree:

Turnip
30-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Stack
Hart Hanlon Murray
McBride
DeGraaf Miller Galbraith
Stokes Nish Riordan

Nae point fannying about, in-there-face all out attack :agree:

At The Edge
30-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Will Maribor though stay 4-4-2 or will they go a defensive 4-5-1 and sit on the lead?

4-3-3 might not have worked for us that well, but we need at least 3 goals without reply to take it to extra time and the only way i can see us getting goals is to put out an attacking team, so 3 up front it is for me with De Graaf right in behind them supplying the balls left, right and centre

Toaods
30-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd take Bamba aside, tell him he's an :asshole: but he'll be starting the game at ER.

Get us through and you will be sold for the first half-decent offer before the window shuts.

Get everyone else, tell then there's a £3K bonus a man for a clean sheet and 3 goals in 90 mins.

take us through before the 90 is over £5K or in any additional passage of play and the bonus will go to £4K (the costs would be offset in progressing to the next round with a plum draw likely)

start big Stevens and give Deek the captaincy - it's all set up for him.

Hainan Hibs
30-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Stack

Hart Stephens Hanlon Murray

Wotherspoon de Graaf Miller Galbraith

Stokes Deeks

I realise the CB area is very young but I can't handle Hogg any more:boo hoo:. Tactics wise I'd be telling Stokes and Deeko to shoot on sight and Spoony and Galbraith to bomb up the wing.

For Maribor it will be very easy to decide. Set out an organised side with a speed merchant on the right hand side against Murray and counter attack.

Danderhall Hibs
30-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I'd take Bamba aside, tell him he's an :asshole: but he'll be starting the game at ER.

Get us through and you will be sold for the first half-decent offer before the window shuts.

Get everyone else, tell then there's a £3K bonus a man for a clean sheet and 3 goals in 90 mins.

take us through before the 90 is over £5K or in any additional passage of play and the bonus will go to £4K.

start big Stevens and give Deek the captaincy - it's all set up for him.

All of that and I'd promise a massive piss-up the next international weekend. Free bar for all.

I'd be very surprised if money and the promise of free bevvy doesn't motivate that lot.

cwilliamson85
30-07-2010, 06:31 PM
443 does not work why don't we do 352 with deeks playing just behind the front 2 of stokes and nish.

Hibs90
30-07-2010, 06:34 PM
go 2-3-5 and go for it.

Do we even have 5 strikers?

Westie1875
30-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Attack, attack, attack

-----------------Stack-----------------

Hart-------Hogg------Bamba/Stephens---Murray

DeGraff-----Miller-------McBride-----Galbraith

------------Deek-------Stokes--------------

Bamba only if he is fit and 100% committed to Hibs, if not then Stephens - we need someone who can win the ball in the air.

Hogg & Murray only keep their places as there are no real alternatives

matty_f
30-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Attack, attack, attack

-----------------Stack-----------------

Hart-------Hogg------Bamba/Stephens---Murray

DeGraff-----Miller-------McBride-----Galbraith

------------Deek-------Stokes--------------

Bamba only if he is fit and 100% committed to Hibs, if not then Stephens - we need someone who can win the ball in the air.

Hogg & Murray only keep their places as there are no real alternatives

That's pretty much the side I'd take as well. In fact, I'd maybe gamble with a Stephens/Bamba centre half pairing, but the rest of the side is exactly how I'd set up, but with Stokes and Riordan swapped over.

Toaods
30-07-2010, 08:01 PM
what about a 3-3-4 with the midfield up front and the three forwards in midfield....:dizzy:

*copyright: 70's freestyle dude

hibeedonald
30-07-2010, 08:12 PM
3-4-3

Pretty Boy
30-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Stack

Hart
Bamba
Stephens
Murray

De Graff
Thicot
Miller
Galbraith

Stokes
Riordan

yekimevol
30-07-2010, 08:30 PM
brown
hogg / murray stephens hanlon
wotherspoon miller murray / bamba galbraith
stokes nish riordan (as riordan and stokes as strikers not wingers crowding the box for anything !!!!)

343 !!! just go for it

Twiglet
30-07-2010, 08:32 PM
...anyone, i don't have much faith in any of them...

...Hogg... ...Stephens... ...Bamba... ...Murray...

...Wotherspoon... ...De Graaf... ...McBride... ...Galbraith...

...Stokes... ...Riordan...

I say this even though I am a big supporter of Rankin, he chases down every ball for the full 90 minutes and tends to make a general pest of himself in midfield. Didn't see last nights game, but everyone seems to say he had a stinker.
Also like Nish, but we need goals so we need to go with our best striker and the best poacher of half opportunities. I think if we can get some goals in quick then we can change formation and bring him on. He tends to get loads of chances and eventually gets one in. Heard he also played well with Galbraith at QoS.

Would drop Miller, he can't turn with the ball! He gets it and half the time will pass to a player in front of him instead of turning. This lost us the ball many times last season and will lose it a lot if Maribor close down every time we get the ball.:grr:

Sir David Gray
30-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Brown

Murray
Hanlon
Hogg
Hart

Galbraith
Miller
De Graaf
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

SUBS

Smith
Stephens
Stevenson
Rankin
Thicot
McBride
Nish

thebakerboy
30-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Would play 3-5-2 with Wotherspoon and Galbraith wide and De Graaf Murray and Miller in the middle to stop us being runover and Stokes and Deeks up front shooting at every opportunity . Other thoughts are that Thicot can pass (Hogg cant) Bamba and Hanlon as back 3. Brown has to be in goal. so

Brown
Thicot Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Wotherspoon De Graaf Miller Galbraith
Stokes Riordan

Subs anyone except Nish and Rankin

Ernie Cobra
30-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Brown

Stephens ... Bamba ... Hanlon

Murray

Wotherspoon ... Miller ... McBride ... De Graff

Stokes ... Deeks

switch murray to behind Bamba , and that it in a nutshell for me:agree:

Ernie Cobra
30-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Would play 3-5-2 with Wotherspoon and Galbraith wide and De Graaf Murray and Miller in the middle to stop us being runover and Stokes and Deeks up front shooting at every opportunity . Other thoughts are that Thicot can pass (Hogg cant) Bamba and Hanlon as back 3. Brown has to be in goal. so

Brown
Thicot Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Stokes Riordan

Subs anyone except Nish and Rankin:agree::top marks

mmmmhibby
30-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Brown

Murray
Hanlon
Hogg
Hart

Galbraith
Miller
De Graaf
Wotherspoon

Riordan
Stokes

SUBS

Smith
Stephens
Stevenson
Rankin
Thicot
McBride
Nish

just do what yogi normally does and build the team round rankin!!!NOT!!!

SvenNeil
30-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Throw everything at them: Stokes, Riordan, Nish, Pies, the wife, kitchen sink, the lot.

Open the East early and scare the bejesus out of them before kick off.

Attack them wave after wave, like Pearl Harbour, and sink their Euro ambitions.

There. Makes me feel better anyhoo :thumbsup:

yekimevol
30-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Throw everything at them: Stokes, Riordan, Nish, Pies, the wife, kitchen sink, the lot.

Open the East early and scare the bejesus out of them before kick off.

Attack them wave after wave, like Pearl Harbour, and sink their Euro ambitions.

There. Makes me feel better anyhoo :thumbsup:
this is classic :top marks:top marks:top marks

Wilbur
30-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Put yourself in Yogi's shoes for the second leg. How do you approach the game? What tactics are you using, and what's your starting 11?

Is that you admitting you need help Yogi? :confused:

we are hibs
30-07-2010, 09:34 PM

smith

hart stephans hanlon

wotherspoon mcbride de graff miller galbraith

stokes riordon

nish

thebakerboy
30-07-2010, 09:43 PM
smith

hart stephans hanlon

wotherspoon mcbride de graff miller galbraith

stokes riordon

nish

That will work play 12 but will the ref let us:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

matty_f
30-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Is that you admitting you need help Yogi? :confused:

Nope, just seeing what the master tacticians on .net have to say ahead of the game, so if Yogi goes for the same they cannae grumble!:greengrin

churchie16
30-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Stack

Hart
Bamba
Stephens
Murray

De Graff
Thicot
Miller
Galbraith

Stokes
Riordan

Spot on :agree:

Haymaker
31-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Do we even have 5 strikers?

Nish centre, Riordan left of, Stokes right of, Galbraith wide left and Spoony wide right? We might as well.

delbert
31-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Well we might start by playing Wotherspoon where he would do most damage, as an attacking right sided midfielder. So far in the last 6 months Hughes has destroyed this lads game by playing him at right back to get torn to pieces on a regular basis, and then the masterstroke, left midfiled on Thursday night. This can only be topped by playing him in goals in the return, and I would'nt put it past Yogi, after all he wants a goalkeeper academy. Oh and lets keep all our goals on the bench again as this will confuse the hell out of Maribor, who of course will turn up thinking we have to attack, but if we line up completely defensively they will be too confused to realise whats going on and then we will have them at our mercy. Yogi think we are all fools, that the real Hibs supporters are behind him, and that any criticism of himself or his tactics are from people who don't have this club at heart. Wrong on all counts, I'm a Hibby till I die, and I despair at where the over inflated ego of this tactical genius is taking us this season, he's had 18 months to get us on the right track, and I firmly believe we got 4th in spite of him, not because of him last season. If the form of this team since last Christmas is indicative of what's to come, then I make no apologies for saying I want this guy and his crew out, we are not making progress under him, unless you count finishing 4th in order to then be utterly humiliated at the start of the following season as progress. The greatest Hibby of all, Pat Stanton, realised his limitations in the management game, and to his credit, he had the dignity and self respect not to hang around too long when he was honest enough to admit it to himself, but the ego has now landed at Easter Road, and I frankly doubt that Hughes has the guts to even consider resigning.

Diclonius
31-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Brown

Hart Stephens Hanlon Murray

de Graaf Miller McBride Galbraith

Stokes Riordan

blairwallace
31-07-2010, 12:46 AM
well...............

id either resign or.......

brown in goals
hanlon stephens thicot hart in defence. playing man to man marking

spoony de graaf and galbraith in midfield de graaf acting like a defencive midfielder like boozy a few decades back galbraith and spoony to look for passes from the big man making runs up the wings being supported by the right and left forwards of....

miller right forward, riordan left forward and stokes as centre forward, playing in a triangle sort of shape.

bench:
stack
murray
currie
mcbride
nish

ForeverHibs93
31-07-2010, 01:00 AM
well...............

id either resign or.......

brown in goals
hanlon stephens thicot hart in defence. playing man to man marking

spoony de graaf and galbraith in midfield de graaf acting like a defencive midfielder like boozy a few decades back galbraith and spoony to look for passes from the big man making runs up the wings being supported by the right and left forwards of....

miller right forward, riordan left forward and stokes as centre forward, playing in a triangle sort of shape.

bench:
stack
murray
currie
mcbride
nish
:faf:

anyway:

brown
hart...stephens...hogg...murray
.............miller...de graaf
Spoony..................Galbraith
.........Stokes...Deeks

TornadoHibby
31-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Smith

Hart Hogg Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Miller De Graaf

Stokes Nish Riordan

Go for it.

Not much wrong there asuming big Sol is fit both physically and mentally for the challenge of such a big game but I'd like to see Mark Brown get a game even if he hasn't played much competitive football over the last year or so assuming (of course) that he to is fit in all respects for the match! :agree:

We fans need to play our part in the match too by supporting and roaring our players on to go that step farther than they might be used to if we are to get the result that takes us to the next round! :agree: :cool2:

Are we all up for that? :wink:

Craig_HFC
31-07-2010, 10:09 AM
----------------Stack----------------

Hart----Stephens----Bamba----Murray

Spoony----Miller----De Graaf---Galbraith

---------Riordan------Stokes----------

Baldy
31-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I would go 3-5-2

............Stack

Hogg Bamba Hanlon

.........Murray

De Graff, Rankin, Galbraith

...........Deek
...... Nish, Stokes

Hibby Kay-Yay
31-07-2010, 11:02 AM
3-4-1-2 which can be flexible to go into 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 or 4-4-2, flexible is where I'm going with this :cool2:

-------------------------Smith-------------------------

--------Bamba---------Hogg-----------Hanlon--------

Hart---------De Graff----------Murray----------Spoony

-------------------------Miller-----------------------------

---------------Stokes-------------Deeks------------

Subs
Galbraith, Stack, Stephens, McBride, Currie

Selling pies - Nish
Selling Programmes - Rankin

cad
31-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Brown
Thicot Bamba Hanlon
Murray
Stokes Riordan

Subs anyone except Nish and Rankin

I cant see much wrong with that side its probably our most attacking option,whether Bamba playing will cut his sale price I dont know if that's a goer but we should see our strongest team next Thursday .
Yogis lost Hibs a small fortune since taking over , a point Rod will not have over looked what with season ticket sales and the new stand not exactly selling out .
Yogi has got to get the troops back on board if you like after last Thursdays disappointment .
One thing I did notice on people picking their team ,was how many people continued with Murray at fullback which I find bizarre after his performance
I think Thursdays team choice by Yogi will go along way towards how long he is going to be our manager .
I dont think they are that great a side we just didn't turn up ,Hibs to go through I really hope so,but severe changes will have to be made to the side that was put out last week
Our management teams assessment of this team was the biggest problem in all of this ,there assessment on how good they were.
Yogi can pull all the stunts he wants , wrong number and the jerseys etc if the guy in the jersey is pish no matter what jersey he has on hes still pish 4 or 5 candidates last week were in that category pish ,not fit to be a Hibs player some have said I thinks a bit harsh as long as they give 100% you cant ask for more sadly somes 100% isn't good enough and others well they just didn't play ,do you think the players were scared of this side if you were a neutral and watched our tactics I would think that could be a fare assumption after watching us for the first 10 Min's .
Anyway an early goal for Hibs on Thursday and lets see what happens eh .

Mon The Cabbage :pray:

EVENTUALLY
31-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I would play Riordan and Stokes from the start.

Maribor reminded me of Hibs to an extent. Two Riordanesque moments from Iilic and a clinical finish from Tavares ala Stokes....but were they really looked like Hibs was when they were defending corners. They didnae look too happy facing cross balls.
I would try to get down the sides with Hart, Spoony and Murray to hit in crosses early to allow for movement from the front two with De Graff supporting. I don't rate Nish and wouldn't play him in any Hibs team albeit that he is our only forward who offers some height to challenge for high balls. My theory relies on the weakness of the Maribor defence to effectively deal with cross balls allowing Hibs players to pick up the pieces around goal.

The other thing I would encourage is too entice fouls to win free kicks which would allow Bamba,Stevens or Hogg to move forward and challenge for a high ball into the box.

Green_one
31-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Part of me says just go for a decent result. Then the usual madness sets in

Brown

Hart Bamba Hanlon Murray

de Graaf McBride

Miller Galbraith

Stokes Riordan

When we are 4 nil up then swap Spooney and Galbraith. I suspect we will see another of Hughes 4-3-3 s.
Tell Galbraith and Riordan told to get wide when the other is not. Full backs to push up and big Bamba up at the corner kisks. Fall over in front of the box and kick anythink that remotely looks dangerous. Get the ball to Stokes.

tamig
31-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Just ditching the dossier will do for me. Cannae be any worse.

RoYO!
31-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Think brown may start- any word on stacks injury/ why he couldn't take kick outs?

Think we know how good stack is by now and, although likeable, isn't good enough. IMO

I'd give bamba a shot if the airs been cleared- which with good management it should have been.

Def want to see more of spoony as attacking mid. Tho think it's been beneficial to get spl exp and learning the game.

No rankin.

So,

------------brown

-------Hart bamba Murray

-----------De graaf
---------miller mcbride
---Witherspoon Danny

--------Ant. Deeks

blairwallace
31-07-2010, 02:16 PM
you can really tell who plays football manager on their computer here :rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
31-07-2010, 09:40 PM

...................Smith...........

.......Hart.........Hogg.........Murray.........Ha nlon.....

.......Wotherspoon..........Miller...........McBri de............De Graff

.........................................Riordan.. ................

..........................Stokes.........

SteveHFC
31-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Stack

Hart
Hogg
Bamba
Murray

Wotherspoon
De Graff
Miller
Galbraith

Riordan
Stokes

Bishop Hibee
31-07-2010, 10:03 PM
.............................Stack................ .......

Hart............Hogg.............. ..Murray............Hanlon

Wotherspoon...De Graff.........Rankin..........Galbraith

............................................Riorda n....................

.......................Stokes..................... ......................

Basically 4-4-2, the best formation with players of our players' ability but I've detailed the positions the forwards would take up with Riordan lying deeper on the left side with Stokes slightly further forward on the right. Not mad keen on Rankin but we need a holding player who has been known to get forward and score on occasion.

No chance of this being the team or formation though.

PapillonVert
31-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Say to the players, our greatest night in Europe was...

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

and this is YOUR opportunity to equal that...or do even better....

Are you up for it????

Hibby 2005
31-07-2010, 10:11 PM
It's all a bit silly considering the humping we got last week but all out attack and we might get something from the game.

PISTOL1875
31-07-2010, 10:19 PM
.............................Stack................ .......

Hart............Hogg.............. ..Murray............Hanlon

Wotherspoon...De Graff.........Rankin..........Galbraith

............................................Riorda n....................

.......................Stokes..................... ......................

Basically 4-4-2, the best formation with players of our players' ability but I've detailed the positions the forwards would take up with Riordan lying deeper on the left side with Stokes slightly further forward on the right. Not mad keen on Rankin but we need a holding player who has been known to get forward and score on occasion.

No chance of this being the team or formation though.

Riordan just off the front is a good idea.. He was brilliant through the middle against Dunfermline in that position.. Reminded me of when he first used to play there with Gary O'Connor.. No need for him defend , just get the ball to him and try and create a shooting opportunity..

hibsbollah
01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Stack
Hart Hanlon Thicot Murray
Wotherspoon Miller De Graaf Galbraith
Deeks Stokes

Spoony and Galbraith getting in advanced positions everytime they can.

Baw187
01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Stack
Hart Hanlon Thicot Murray
Wotherspoon Miller De Graaf Galbraith
Deeks Stokes

Spoony and Galbraith getting in advanced positions everytime they can.

:agree:

The midfield to front has to be this IMO.

The defence I couldn's say cause you don't know how any of these defenders will play on the day. We're not exactly great in any combo. If it wasn't going to be the first time they'd played together, i'd go with Stephens and Bamba at CB. 2 big barstewards to wipe out any sneaky slovenian bam who thinks about a cheeky wee chip. None of these twats standing off.

matty_f
01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Thinking about this, I'd go for this:

GK Stack
RB Hart
CH Stephens
CH Hanlon
LB Murray
RM De Graaf
CM Miller
CM McBride
LM Galbraith
CF Riordan
CF Stokes

Thinking behind it - Stack was (IMHO) not to blame for any of the goals in the first leg, and pulled off some good saves to give us a faint chance of getting through. He keeps his place.
Hart picks himself, as does Murray despite not having the best of games at Maribor.

Stephens comes in for Hogg, bringing pace, height and a bit of power to the defence. Hanlon pairs with him. I went for this because I think that (with Bamba missing, who I would have gone for) having two young centre halves in a tie like this gives them the chance to prove they can do it. It is a case of them having to be at the top of their game, and having to talk each other through the game too. Also, I think Hogg's form hasn't been great for some time now.
Stephens is also a threat when we win corners or free kicks.

De Graaf at right midfield - he played there (and played well, by all accounts) for his former club. Why change it? That gives Miller and McBride the opportunity to pull the strings in midfield, and I picked Galbraith because we must attack Maribor, and he'll do just that.

Stokes and Riordan are our best forwards, and in a game where we need at least 4 goals to go through, they have to play.

I think that line-up would give us a chance. As it stands, we're pretty much out of the competition, so there's nothing to lose in giving Stephens and Galbraith a taste of European football, especially if Yogi showed that be believed in them enough to trust them to win the tie.

Dashing Bob S
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Don't like denigrating players but i'll wait to find out whether Rankin's starting and if the answer is yes, won't even bother setting foot in the stadium.

Franck is God
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
we do need to score 3 without reply but we also have 90 minutes to do it so no need for panic tactics from the start so I wouldn't make too many changes to the starting line up.

I would go with a kind of 4-5-1 shape but only for when we don't have the ball and try and get as much pace in the team as we can. I don't like Stack so would pick Brown or Smith, don't think Stack was at fault for any of the goals last week but I simply don't rate him. I thought Murray was the weakest part of our defence all last season and his pre-season displays have done nothing to change my mind. I know Rankin at LB may seem like a strange choice but he has a bit of pace, strong in the tackle, can run all day and can actually puts in a very good cross, good attributes for a full back in my book.

Smith/Brown

Hart---Hogg---Bamba---Rankin

DeGraaf--McBride--Miller
Spoony------------------------Galbraith
Stokes

cwilliamson85
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Brown Hart Hogg Stephens Murray Galbraith De Graaf Rankin Riordan Stokes Nish

same as today so hopefully no injuries.

Ken
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
No Miller?

Hamish
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Herriot
Brownlie
Schaedler
Stanton
Black
Blackley
Edwards
O'Rourke
Nish
Cropley
Duncan

Hibby Kay-Yay
01-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Herriot
Brownlie
Schaedler
Stanton
Black
Blackley
Edwards
O'Rourke
Nish
Cropley
Duncan

vital :agree:

SaulGoodman
01-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm still waiting for the day Yogi will play Deeks up front with Stokes.

I don't like Deeks playing on the left.

Wotherspiniesta
01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Stack

Hart Stephens Murray Hanlon

Stokes Riordan

Probably been mentioned before but I don't think Murray has got the energy for LB.

hibs0666
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
The best option open to Hughes now is to find religion, become a Catholic Muslim Jewish Protestant and start praying like **** for a bit of divine intervention.

IWasThere2016
01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Nish for Alan Gordon - fcek me!

Can you imagine the looks and comments he'd get from Paddy, Sloop etc :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Nish for Alan Gordon - fcek me!

Can you imagine the looks and comments he'd get from Paddy, Sloop etc :faf:

Were there no **** players back in the 70s team? No wonder we won everything available to us!

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Thinking about this, I'd go for this:

GK Stack
RB Hart
CH Stephens
CH Hanlon
LB Murray
RM De Graaf
CM Miller
CM McBride
LM Galbraith
CF Riordan
CF Stokes

Decent looking side - I'd go with that.

Hamish
01-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Played with somebody up with him TQM Nishy might just pose tham a few problems on Thursday. Would have to score early and be 2 goals up with about 30 minutes left. Might be interesting then

Hand on hibs, I honestly can't see them not scoring so logically its over already. Hibs and logic are not happy bedfellows though

Hope I am wrong and have to eat the old humble pie on here on Friday

Phil MaGlass
01-08-2010, 05:48 PM
OK! Im the boss? I resign, good night and god bless.

hibs0666
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Played with somebody up with him TQM Nishy might just pose tham a few problems on Thursday. Would have to score early and be 2 goals up with about 30 minutes left. Might be interesting then

Hand on hibs, I honestly can't see them not scoring so logically its over already. Hibs and logic are not happy bedfellows though

Hope I am wrong and have to eat the old humble pie on here on Friday

I struggle both to see Hibs scoring and I think it's a certainty that goals will be conceded. Not being hysterical, just being realistic.

KiddA
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM

Drop Hogg, Rankin, and Nish Its time Yogi rocked the boat and made some changes

houston1875
01-08-2010, 09:24 PM
How about we phone the Maribor team hotel,night before game and keep them awake with continous fone calls,or stand outside with them trumpets fae South Africa? Anybody
know what hotel they'll be staying in,4am fire alarm...

Just an idea?
:wink:

Diclonius
01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
To be fair, Nish could have one of his amazing games on Thursday and score another hat-trick. He has to have a go at us fans first though, and time is running out. Missed a trick there, Nishy. We're ripe for the picking. :grr:

Ernie Cobra
02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Drop Nish
Drop Hogg
Drop Rankin

Win the game, stay in the dugout and ask mixu....em yogi......to pull up a seat whilst i explain the finer details fo the game to him, starting with explaining the aim of the game is to win by scoring more goals than your opponents, playing your best available team at all times, and changing formation / tactics when losing.

And that is probably about it:wink:

Sandy
02-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Brown
Hart Bamba Stephens Murray

Spoony De Graff Miller Galbraith

Stokes Deeks

Never going to happen in a million years, but that is the team I would go for. We have to go for it, I would like to see a bit of enthusiasm and drive from the team, with pace on the flanks, and goals up front, some power and height at the back, and you never know.

HIBEETILLIDIE
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM

Resign!!!!!

MacBean
02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
........................Stack..................... .

....Hart ....Bamba......Stephens.. ..Hanlon

..................McBride.....Miller.............. ...

De Graaf...................................Galbraith

..................Stokes..... Riordan

jonny
02-08-2010, 08:47 AM
.........................................Stack.... ...............................
Hart................Hogg......................Step hens.........Stevenson
........................................Murray.... ..............................
Wotherspoon....................................... ...............Galbraith
........................................Miller.... ..................................
.........................Stokes................Rio rdan.........................

Start off as a variation of 442 with Murray as the defensive midfielder and Miller attacking in behind the forwards.
when we're 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go push Galbraith and Wotherspoon right up top, drop Murray into centre half and move Hart and Stevenson up into midfield so we finish 334 with a gung ho attitude.

Speedway
02-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I tell the board to keep their compo in their pockets for now as I'm about to rock their world.

I have a quick word with Stack and tell him to punch anything or anyone that comes into his six yard box and give him a jersey.

I have a word with Hart and tell him to snap anyone who comes near him, including our own players and give him a jersey.

I tell young Stephens to let big Sol talk him through the game and do everything he says and give him a jersey.

I ask Bamba if he believes in the atonement and give him a jersey

I tell Hanlon to get up the wing as much as possible and give him a jersey.

I tell Zoumer that I've borrowed Rika's magic sticks from Tynie, that he's fit to play and give him a jersey.

I tell Nid that he's the best defensive midfielder at the club and tell him to become Der Kaiser and give him a jersey.

I tell Liam Miller to prove to me that he should have been a success at Man Utd and give him a jersey.

I tell Rankin that I'm a wee bit peckish and could do with some snacks and give him a tenner.

I tell Ed De Graaf to show me what got him into the Dutch B set up and give him a jersey.

I tell Derek Riordan nothing at all and give him a jersey.

I tell Tony Stokes to stick the ball in the back of the net and don't worry about anything else and give him a jersey.

I say a silent prayer, kiss each one of them on the head as they line up in the tunnel, stare down the opposing players with hate and disgust that they've even had the nerve to show up at the Holy Ground, walk out into the spotlight and roar, feel about two feet taller than I am and realise I'm the manager of Hibernian Football club and my players, MY players, those mighty boys; are about to deliver something very special indeed, something magical.

Play on.

Expecting Rain
02-08-2010, 09:09 AM
4-4-2

Any goalie, they`re all the same standard
Hart,Bamba,Murray,Hanlon
Wotherspoon,Miller,De Graaf,Galbraith
Riordan
Stokes

We should be using this game to see what players are made of, as well as trying to retrieve a 0-3 scoreline, if i was Yogi i`d be asking a few players to prove me wrong and that they can adapt to playing certain positions, especially Deeks who many argue would be even more useful away from the wide left roles which most managers have favoured, i`d be telling young Galbraith that he was getting 90 minutes and that this was the stage on which he has the chance to become a first team pick, this is a match that shouldn`t be wasted irrespective of the scoreline and for the manager to take a reality check on the potential and limitations of the selected personel, 1-0 at half time, 3-0 at full time, it looks like a mountain to climb but at least if things are going wrong give the fans some hope for the up and coming fixtures.

Judas Iscariot
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Brown - Stack is injured and Smith is a liability

Hart - Looked ok since coming in
Stephens - Better than Hogg
Hanlon - Better than Hogg
Rankin - PlSH in midfield, more pace than Murray

De Graaf - Went about his business quietly since signing
Miller - Only creativity we have just now
Murray - Only guy that can tackle in the team
Galbraith - Give him a chance to shine

Stokes - Goals
Riordan - Goals

Hibby 2005
02-08-2010, 09:32 AM
I tell the board to keep their compo in their pockets for now as I'm about to rock their world.

I have a quick word with Stack and tell him to punch anything or anyone that comes into his six yard box and give him a jersey.

I have a word with Hart and tell him to snap anyone who comes near him, including our own players and give him a jersey.

I tell young Stephens to let big Sol talk him through the game and do everything he says and give him a jersey.

I ask Bamba if he believes in the atonement and give him a jersey

I tell Hanlon to get up the wing as much as possible and give him a jersey.

I tell Zoumer that I've borrowed Rika's magic sticks from Tynie, that he's fit to play and give him a jersey.

I tell Nid that he's the best defensive midfielder at the club and tell him to become Der Kaiser and give him a jersey.

I tell Liam Miller to prove to me that he should have been a success at Man Utd and give him a jersey.

I tell Rankin that I'm a wee bit peckish and could do with some snacks and give him a tenner.

I tell Ed De Graaf to show me what got him into the Dutch B set up and give him a jersey.

I tell Derek Riordan nothing at all and give him a jersey.

I tell Tony Stokes to stick the ball in the back of the net and don't worry about anything else and give him a jersey.

I say a silent prayer, kiss each one of them on the head as they line up in the tunnel, stare down the opposing players with hate and disgust that they've even had the nerve to show up at the Holy Ground, walk out into the spotlight and roar, feel about two feet taller than I am and realise I'm the manager of Hibernian Football club and my players, MY players, those mighty boys; are about to deliver something very special indeed, something magical.

Play on.

I'm not sure exactly what you're smoking but it's probably Dutch!

Speedway
03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're smoking but it's probably Dutch!

It would be the best o' the teckle.

J-C
03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Brown

Hart Bamba Thicot Hanlon

Murray

Wotherspoon De Graaf Miller

Riordan

Stokes

truehibernian
03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Brown

Hart Bamba Thicot Hanlon

Murray

Wotherspoon De Graaf Miller

Riordan

Stokes

Like the look of that side however Hanlon at left back for me is a bombscare. Far more accomplished at centre half. Stevenson at LB for me and that is a top line-up :agree:

J-C
03-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Like the look of that side however Hanlon at left back for me is a bombscare. Far more accomplished at centre half. Stevenson at LB for me and that is a top line-up :agree:

Thought about Stevenson, just thought he wasn't strong enough physically and mentally to compete there, hence gave it to Hanlon.

You could stick Murray back to LB and play Thicot in his natural holding midfield role, or is that just being too obvious for everyone exept Hughes to see. I think a 4-1-3-1-1 set up would suit us down to the ground.

Captain Trips
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Important to go in at HT in a winning to nil position, gives us a further 45 mins to get 1 or 2 more, if 0-0 at HT Maribor might come on heavy after break to finish us thats what I would do if Maribor coach.

It's such a difficult position having to score 4 goals in 90 mins without reply, we would all take 3-0 at 90 but thats another 30 mins to hold out. Anything from Maribor will wether we like it or not silence a lot of the support.

scott_hfc1875
03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Id like to see us line up

Stack

Hart Hogg (never goinge to get dropped) Bamba Hanlon

De graff miller murray galbraith

stokes riordan

truehibernian
03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I have often wondered if young Hanlon would sometimes benefit from playing the defensive midfielder role, just in front of the centre halves. He has a good engine, can tackle, and wins his headers. Likes to drive forward at times too. His distribution and "footballing touch" would also improve. A Gareth Barry type role which could be developed. I think he was a midfielder with his juvenile side too. Hogg - well I am 100% in agreement. Should never be near the starting eleven but he will no doubt start Thursday.

FromTheCapital
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I would go all out attack and play a 4-3-3 formation and score and to try and score and early goal. :agree:

I'd go :

...........................Brown.................. ...........

Hart.......Bamba/Hogg.........Hanlon........Murray

........Spoony/Zouma.......DeGraaf.........Miller....

..........Stokes.........Nish........Riordan...... ........

SUBS :

Smith
Thicot
Bamba/Hogg
McBride
Rankin
Spoony/Zouma
Galbraith

We can do it !!!!!!!!!!!! GGTTH. :flag:

Come on Hibs let's get Easter Road bouncing.:notworthy:

CabbageFan
03-08-2010, 10:21 AM
...........................Brown.................. ...........

Hart.......Hogg.........Stephens........Murray

........Spoony.......DeGraaf.........Miller....Gal braith

..........Stokes.........Riordan..........

SUBS :

Smith/Stack
Thicot
Bamba
Hanlon
McBride
Rankin
Stevenson

Never going to happen. :boo hoo: nothing on the bench either that pleases me

iwasthere1972
03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I would summon all the players to my office and let them endure the BBC Radio Cumbria commentary and "digs" that Tommy Cassidy (the Irish twat :agree:) was making for the entire 90 minutes of the Carlisle match.

If that doesn't do the trick then nothing will.

Simples.

scoopyboy
03-08-2010, 11:42 AM
I would sit the squad down and tell them to forget about arguing, forget about your gripes with me.

There are 13000 guys out there who love this club.

Go out there and win for them.

If you qualify you will become a famous part of Hibs history, but if we don't qualify then try and give the punters a win.

.Sean.
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
What arguing and gripes?

Speedway
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
What arguing and gripes?

Stokes is a devout Catholic and doesn't like the fact that Yogi insists that we have Oranges in the dressing room at Half Time.

borstalboy
03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
My team would be

.......................Stack
Hart.............Hogg..............Bamba.......... .Hanlon
...............Miller...............Murray........ ...

De Graaf................Riordan.............Galbraith/Wetherspoon
............................Stokes

With Miller a bit more positive and just let murray sit. Think it would be good to start with this and see how it goes, with it easily being changed to a 442 or 451, if needed.

GGTTH

Ell_Chrisso
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Hibs have to go all guns blazing, and will need 5 goals to qualify. We wont keep a clean sheet. When we forced the game towards the end, they couldnt keep the game under control and we were on top for the last 15. We need a quick goal to get this team under pressure...

Stack

Hart Hogg Murray Stevenson

De Graff Miller Rankin

Riordan Stokes Galbraith

CapitalHibs
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
It's obvious!

Bring back the slope:thumbsup: