PDA

View Full Version : Not JUST Yogi's Fault

Dunbar Hibee
30-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Firstly i'd like to say last night was a major disappointment for everyone involved with Hibernian Football Club. I'd also like to say that the 'YOGI GTF' threads are a bit ridiculous after 1 game. Now last night i know Yogi has a lot of the blame to take for leaving Stokes and Deek on the bench and particulary for not changing things when Maribor scored the second. BUT, what disappointed me most was the effort from the players. We showed no fight, no determination and no passion and TBH they let us down big time last night. We defended very poorly, stood off opposition and our passing was woeful. Like I said Yogi has a lot of the blame to take but the players didn't show enough last night, no fight whatsoever. Lets hope that changes and we can get an early goal at ER and who knows.. GGTTH.

SRHibs
30-07-2010, 02:33 PM
It's not 'after 1 game'.
It's just reignited my feelings from the end of last season. It's clear he's learned nothing, and still has no idea how to set up the team.
You're right though, the team need shooting as well after that performance.

I honestly thought Maribor looked a very, very average side at best.

.Sean.
30-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Firstly i'd like to say last night was a major disappointment for everyone involved with Hibernian Football Club. I'd also like to say that the 'YOGI GTF' threads are a bit ridiculous after 1 game. Now last night i know Yogi has a lot of the blame to take for leaving Stokes and Deek on the bench and particulary for not changing things when Maribor scored the second. BUT, what disappointed me most was the effort from the players. We showed no fight, no determination and no passion and TBH they let us down big time last night. We defended very poorly, stood off opposition and our passing was woeful. Like I said Yogi has a lot of the blame to take but the players didn't show enough last night, no fight whatsoever. Lets hope that changes and we can get an early goal at ER and who knows.. GGTTH.
Good post :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
30-07-2010, 02:52 PM

Yogi decided to leave out riordan and stokes
Yogi must have told the players to do the ridiculous passing thing
Yogi picked Rankin & Nish ahead of better players
Yogi went for the 451

Your right though, some of the players where not good enough on the night. However, yogi is the manager and the buck stops with him.

He would have taken the plaudits if they had won, so he can take the flak when we lose.

Springbank
30-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Yogi decided to leave out riordan and stokes
Yogi must have told the players to do the ridiculous passing thing
Yogi picked Rankin & Nish ahead of better players
Yogi went for the 451

Your right though, some of the players where not good enough on the night. However, yogi is the manager and the buck stops with him.

He would have taken the plaudits if they had won, so he can take the flak when we lose.

I totally understand and sympathise with the sentiment of the OP

But...

it's not just one game, it's the same thread that's been there since the win at Parkhead in Jan.

you can see it in the lack of subs made in the StJ game (we couldve gone second in the table, we got beat 5-1 going on 17-1)

no Hibs team should lose heavily at both McDiarmid and New Douglas Park, but we did.

the 6-6 game and the capitulation

terrible derby performances.

so, last night was to be expected in that context, but the most baffling thing was the fact Riordan had clearly proved himself in pre-season to be our 1 great chance of an away goal. Benched. In favour of nish, or rankin, depending on your view.

Stokes, ditto.

that kind of decision takes guts, but when it doesn't go well (and it really didn't) then it is a big call gone wrong.

i don't take my wee boy to see Rankin run about, pleasurable though some of you may find that experience.

I take him to see Stokes poacher instinct, to see Riordan's technique and (when fit) to see Zemmama in all aspects of the game.

The others are not really playing football, as the rest of the world understands the game, in my view. yet Yogi picks them in front of our most technical player. Ludicrous.

ozwoody
30-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I dont care about last season,its over and done with.

Since last January we have been struggling for points and we got the vital 3 points against DU reserves.

Maribor were no mugs,just because we had not heard from them does not mean they were crap.

Yogi played far too far a defensive game,one which scots teams are not used to playing,and it bit him on arse.

Upside is that Maribor will not be expecting an onslaught at easter road e.g aek Athens,and as optomistic as it is,i expect Us to take them into extra time

hibsitis
30-07-2010, 03:18 PM
As noted above, it's not just one game. Last season we were put out of the league cup at home by St Johnstone who also beat us 5-1 later in the season. We lost 4-1 to Hamilton, failed to hold onto a 6-2 lead against Motherwell were put out of Scottish by Ross County despite leading them 3 times over 2 games. We averaged 1.5 goals/game and had a goal difference of 3 over 38 games. We also failed to beat a disrupted Hearts. We were just slightly less rubbish than some other teams. Motherwell and Hearts strengthened managerially and you saw the difference.

The Maribor result is just consistent with what we should have come to expect.

How much more evidence is needed that Hughes is struggling?

Murky
30-07-2010, 03:23 PM
How many players last night when they got the ball turned and faced their own goal looking to pass it backwards. Worse than that, how many of them ran towards their own goal with the ball.

I am no (where near being a) professional footballer but it just goes against any instincts I have ever had to consistently turn the opposite direction of the opposition's goal when in possession of the ball.

That direction has had to come from somewhere...