PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

jonny
30-07-2010, 01:14 PM
After last nights game there were clearly a lot of players who didnt cover themselves in glory.

1 in particular who seems to have escaped the slaughter of the message boards is Ian Murray. I thought he looked less than a shade of the player he once was, he appeared so slow and off the pace of the game. When he went forward he simply couldnt get back and left us wide open down that side - where was he when they got their 3rd goal? Mulling around the half way line trying to get back.....

I like Murray, I think he's a good Hibby and a good professional but is it just me that thinks he might be about finished?
I'm not sure of the ins and outs with his injury problems and his arthritis and how much it effects him during a game but as sad as it is I dont think he's good enough now.
We dont have many options for left back but Id sooner have Stevenson in there at the moment.

Speedway
30-07-2010, 01:17 PM
So you're making sure that we highlight him for slaughter so that he doesn't get away with it are you?

RoscoHibby
30-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Really pains me to say it, but I agree. Been suggested more than once, but I'd have him sitting in Centre Mid bursting anything that moves, especially in the derby :greengrin

Matty Jack couldnae run either and he's still championed!

bighairyfaeleith
30-07-2010, 01:19 PM
So you're making sure that we highlight him for slaughter so that he doesn't get away with it are you?

get off your high horse, the boy is just making a quite valid point, he isn't abusing murray, just voicing his opinion!!

jonny
30-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Not at all, I think your missing my point. What I am saying is that I am surprised he hasnt had the same level of criticism as Rankin and Nish when his performance was equally as poor.

Last season Murray had similar issues in the full back position. As I said he is a very good professional and he is always 100% committed to the cause - perhaps the reason he has avoided the snipers for so long - but sometimes its not quite enough.
Im not sure if he would get on better in a defensive midfield type role supporting Liam Miller and allowing him to get forward as opposed to a role where he has to do so much running but I certainly think his best days as a full back are well behind him and if he's continues to be played there opposition teams will target that area as a weakness and over the course of the season we will be punished.

RIP
30-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes

Posted a few times that for the second half of the season Murray was regularly ripped a new one by any winger with speed. Opposition managers actively targeted that left side behind Deeks

I would play him DM where his great tackling, heart and 100% commitment are much missed atm

M11BMO
30-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes

Posted a few times that for the second half of the season Murray was regularly ripped a new one by any winger with speed. Opposition managers actively targeted that left side behind Deeks

I would play him DM where his great tackling, heart and 100% commitment are much missed atm

:agree: We need some bite in the midfield asap. We're far too lightweight IMO.

allyhibee
30-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree, think that IM would benefit from a move into a central position(be it defence or defensive midfield). He still has the skills to do a good job for us.

Big Frank
30-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Yes

don't actually agree with the OP. On many occassions since the match people have stated that Murray had a mare last night.

Murray and Hart aren't exactly speedy, indeed the whole back four is deperately short of mobility.

Sir David Gray
30-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Whilst everyone's been going on about the need to strengthen the RB position (rightly so, I might add), I think strengthening the LB position is just as much of a priority. IMO we don't have anyone at the club who is a good LB. There are three players who, I believe, the management team look upon as being able to play LB but I don't think that any of them are good enough for a club that is looking to finish 3rd and play competitively in football.

Paul Hanlon is a great prospect at CH and he could go far in that position but from what I have seen of him at LB, he is not suited to that role.

I don't think Lewis Stevenson has progressed much since his MOTM display in the League Cup final more than three years ago. He is an honest player who is average as back up but I don't view him as a first choice pick.

Ian Murray has, as the OP says, struggled for a few months now and any wide player with a bit of pace seems to have a lot of joy against him. I love Ian Murray, along with Derek Riordan the two of them epitomise what it means to play for the shirt, but sometimes you need more than just wholehearted commitment. I think there is still a place for Murray in the current Hibs side but I don't believe it is at LB.

I have been excited by the prospect of eventually seeing Callum Booth in the first team as he looks like a great young player. I know he's away on loan at the moment but I would be tempted to bring him back and try him out in a league cup tie because IMO, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

.Sean.
30-07-2010, 02:21 PM
don't actually agree with the OP. On many occassions since the match people have stated that Murray had a mare last night.

Murray and Hart aren't exactly speedy, indeed the whole back four is deperately short of mobility.
Hart's no speedy? Before we signed him plenty folk on this board were saying he was fast as **** and used to mark Ivan Sproule out the game. He's been very average so far, as has Ed De Graaf, although I think they will come good.

.Sean.
30-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Whilst everyone's been going on about the need to strengthen the RB position (rightly so, I might add), I think strengthening the LB position is just as much of a priority. IMO we don't have anyone at the club who is a good LB. There are three players who, I believe, the management team look upon as being able to play LB but I don't think that any of them are good enough for a club that is looking to finish 3rd and play competitively in football.

Paul Hanlon is a great prospect at CH and he could go far in that position but from what I have seen of him at LB, he is not suited to that role.

I don't think Lewis Stevenson has progressed much since his MOTM display in the League Cup final more than three years ago. He is an honest player who is average as back up but I don't view him as a first choice pick.

Ian Murray has, as the OP says, struggled for a few months now and any wide player with a bit of pace seems to have a lot of joy against him. I love Ian Murray, along with Derek Riordan the two of them epitomise what it means to play for the shirt, but sometimes you need more than just wholehearted commitment. I think there is still a place for Murray in the current Hibs side but I don't believe it is at LB.

I have been excited by the prospect of eventually seeing Callum Booth in the first team as he looks like a great young player. I know he's away on loan at the moment but I would be tempted to bring him back and try him out in a league cup tie because IMO, if you're good enough, you're old enough.
I guaruntee Boothy will become our first choice left-back in the near future. Fast, bombs up and down the line, puts in a challenge and is a good Hibby to boot. He's a fantastic player with a big future ahead of him and he's a very good mate of mine.

This isn't a dig at Yogi, but I think another manager would have given him his debut by now. Under Mixu, Paul Hanlon was given his debut at 17. When Callum was 17 he was every bit as good, if not better, than what Paul Hanlon was.

Dunbar Hibee
30-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I guaruntee Boothy will become our first choice left-back in the near future. Fast, bombs up and down the line, puts in a challenge and is a good Hibby to boot. He's a fantastic player with a big future ahead of him and he's a very good mate of mine.

This isn't a dig at Yogi, but I think another manager would have given him his debut by now. Under Mixu, Paul Hanlon was given his debut at 17. When Callum was 17 he was every bit as good, if not better, than what Paul Hanlon was.

And that is why I think your being a bit biased , Sean. I know him as well and have seen him play but I don't think he is anywhere near ready for our first team. Hopefully that will change and he will fill that left back place in the next couple years! One for the future, but certainly not yet.

.Sean.
30-07-2010, 02:39 PM
And that is why I think your being a bit biased , Sean. I know him as well and have seen him play but I don't think he is anywhere near ready for our first team. Hopefully that will change and he will fill that left back place in the next couple years! One for the future, but certainly not yet.
I'll disagree with you there mate. He was very good in the second division last year, a league with more than it's fair share of hatchet men and he was never bullied out the game. In fact he even won the Young Player of the Month award on one occassion, and this was only weeks into his first real taste of semi-profesional football.

He's on loan at Brechin right now and the fans there have been raving about his pre-season peformances. Even scored two long-range crackers the other week. Big season for him but he'll come through it, no doubt about that.

TrinityHibs
30-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I only saw the goals last night so cannot comment on how poor/good Ian Murray was but i feel to single him out for particular criticism on the back of performances last season are out of order. Maybe if some of our many midfielders cut out balls or tracked back then Ian wouldnt be so exposed. Maybe if they pushed on a bit more often we wouldnt need to rely on Ian trying to play on the overlap. Being pulled out of position to cover the Chuckle Brothers of central defence, Bamba and Hogg, didnt help him either.

I accept he is not the quickest but I dont think that is a problem that is partiucular to him in the Hibs starting 11. Miller, McBride and Rankin dont look like they are going to burst thro 10 seconds for the 100m in the near future. Even Ant And Deek are short of pace. Nish:bitchy:The Murph was never going to worry Usain Bolt but he did a job.

There appears to have been a collective failure yesterday. This will always highlight shortcomings of players (and management). If we choose to play football in our own half then most errors will be of a defensive nature. Rather than highlight individual mistakes it would be better to look at how the team can play to minimise errors ie play to its strength. Hibs just dont do defending. Open play is bad enough but set pieces always worry me. I know Yogi got slaughtered for for blind adherence to 433 but 442 is a better balanced option I think as long as we have at least one midfielder pushing on when we attack.

As for Stevenson instead of Ian Murray please tell me thats a wind up Jonny

Sir David Gray
30-07-2010, 03:38 PM

I've just seen his profile on Brechin's website and it says that he turned 19 in May, is that correct? I thought he was only 18. I really think he should be getting a chance at the first team round about now.

If his loan spell at Brechin is a success after 2-3 months, I would recall him and give him a shot in the first team every now and again and see how he does.

.Sean.
30-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I've just seen his profile on Brechin's website and it says that he turned 19 in May, is that correct? I thought he was only 18. I really think he should be getting a chance at the first team round about now.

If his loan spell at Brechin is a success after 2-3 months, I would recall him and give him a shot in the first team every now and again and see how he does.
Correct :agree:

As I said, under a different management he'd already have made his debut. Yogi seems frightened to hand the younger guys their debut. In my opinion, Sean Welsh, Lee Currie and Callum should all have made a few apparances last season aswell as Byrne and Wotherspoon, surely they at least merited that after such superb 19's campaign?

Sir David Gray
30-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Correct :agree:

As I said, under a different management he'd already have made his debut. Yogi seems frightened to hand the younger guys their debut. In my opinion, Sean Welsh, Lee Currie and Callum should all have made a few apparances last season aswell as Byrne and Wotherspoon, surely they at least merited that after such superb 19's campaign?

Cheers. I definitely think he should be making the first team squad by now, if not the first XI. I don't think he's even been an unused substitute yet. I think by 18/19 years old, you should be able to play first team football in the SPL.

Cameron1875
30-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Sorry to say this but i think ian murray is past it at Left back. He would make a decent defensive midfielder but two of the goals came from his side especially the shocking 3rd goal. He is blowing out his erse and about 5 yards out of position. :boo hoo:

** Posted this in the goals thread before realising there was already an ian murray thread.

bob12345
30-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Anyone else think he's went so far downhill since he signed his new contract? Clearly a coincidence, but he was on fire before new year (suppose it coincides with the rest of the team!).

hibernator
30-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Full backs get the run around, how many nightmares did Robbie Neilson have against Riordan, Mickey Weir regularly had 2 markers, don't be too hasty to bin Murray, he is a good player in ANY position he is asked, if there is a better option fair enough but Ian's experience and spirit will stand up against most opposition, a bit of help from his team mates is expected, the guy still had a bit to do for the 1st after even Murrays contribution did he not ? :cool2: