PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One...

Hibs On Tour
30-07-2010, 12:43 PM
...who thought we actually played a little better than I expected us to last night? For me, although Maribor had more penetration with the ball than we did, there wasn't a massive difference between the times other than them being perhaps a little fitter and sharper [which you'd expect as they've had 2-3 competitive games by now]

Granted, we were carved open I think 4 times and they scored once from this, Stack having 3 good saves from the others. However, the first two goals they scored - although the chances initially came from errors [Murray/Spoony] - were purely down to quality finishing. Keeper had no chance with either and if it had been Deek we'd have been praising both of these goals to the heavens.

For me, although I agree they deserved to win on the night there were never 3 goals in it between the teams. Our players in general looked comfortable on the ball and kept trying to pass and play the ball away. Maybe the conditions weren't the best for that but that's the same for both teams.

Think there is way too much knee-jerk reaction on the board after last night. Yes, we have a mountain to climb but FFS, a wee bit of perspective eh? Riordan and Stokes to start at ER and go for them right from the off. If we lose a goal it doesn't really change anything but at least we can go for it.

GGTTH

Liberal Hibby
30-07-2010, 12:47 PM
No (you're not the only one) and yes (a wee bit of perspective is needed).

Keith_M
30-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Think there is way too much knee-jerk reaction on the board after last night.
GGTTH

Because that's what we do best on here :wink:

Riordan and Stokes to start at ER and go for them right from the off. If we lose a goal it doesn't really change anything but at least we can go for it.
GGTTH

I would have preferred that from the start of the first game, but what do I know? I'm only a fan with a keyboard, one of the 95% who know nothing.

Golden Bear
30-07-2010, 12:48 PM
...who thought we actually played a little better than I expected us to last night? For me, although Maribor had more penetration with the ball than we did, there wasn't a massive difference between the times other than them being perhaps a little fitter and sharper [which you'd expect as they've had 2-3 competitive games by now]

Granted, we were carved open I think 4 times and they scored once from this, Stack having 3 good saves from the others. However, the first two goals they scored - although the chances initially came from errors [Murray/Spoony] - were purely down to quality finishing. Keeper had no chance with either and if it had been Deek we'd have been praising both of these goals to the heavens.

For me, although I agree they deserved to win on the night there were never 3 goals in it between the teams. Our players in general looked comfortable on the ball and kept trying to pass and play the ball away. Maybe the conditions weren't the best for that but that's the same for both teams.

Think there is way too much knee-jerk reaction on the board after last night. Yes, we have a mountain to climb but FFS, a wee bit of perspective eh? Riordan and Stokes to start at ER and go for them right from the off. If we lose a goal it doesn't really change anything but at least we can go for it.

GGTTH

You saw a different game to the one I witnessed.

Maribor were streets ahead in every aspect of the game and I'm afraid i can't see any way back for us.

:boo hoo:

patlowe
30-07-2010, 12:51 PM

GGTTH

If we lose a goal, the tie is well and truly up the Swanny.

Hibs did have a lot of the ball and looked relatively comfortable but this highlights the naivety of the team. Maribor looked like they were just letting us have the ball as they knew they were going to score at some stage. The fact is, we didn't look like scoring. At all.

One thing I am quietly optimistic about is Hart's eagerness to get involved in play in the first half. He'll slot back into the SPL no bother IMO and good, attacking full backs are vital these days.

Jack
30-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Nope, there's me too.

We set out to retain the ball for as long as we could*, lost a couple of unfortunate, but well taken, goals.

* Spain, for example, did the same during the World Cup – I’m not saying we’re the club version of Spain - we’re trying the same but slipping up – pun intended! :greengrin

We had a chance or two, not sure how good there were because it flipped over to the damn spear chuckers every time it was looking good for us. :grr:

Aye, it could have been very different. :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 12:57 PM

GGTTH

I agree, we weren't that bad at all. When I heard that Yogi had gone with Nish up front on his own I coud see the logic, and the deployment of Wotherspoon on the left aside, I have no problem with the rest of the selection.

The start of the second half was our best spell of the game, and unfortunately a slip by Wotherspoon cost us dear due to a phenomenal bit of skill for their 2nd, then another indivdual error by McBride very soon after was an absolute killer.

Yes, we were carved open a few time last night, but that was always going to happen - I expect us to carve them open several times next week. Unfortunately I do think that they will score at ER meaing that we'll need to score 5 to win, but let's just give our best shot and see what happens.

jonny
30-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I agree, we weren't that bad at all. When I heard that Yogi had gone with Nish up front on his own I coud see the logic, and the deployment of Wotherspoon on the left aside, I have no problem with the rest of the selection.

The start of the second half was our best spell of the game, and unfortunately a slip by Wotherspoon cost us dear due to a phenomenal bit of skill for their 2nd, then another indivdual error by McBride very soon after was an absolute killer.

Yes, we were carved open a few time last night, but that was always going to happen - I expect us to carve them open several times next week. Unfortunately I do think that they will score at ER meaing that we'll need to score 5 to win, but let's just give our best shot and see what happens.

Good post - agree 100% :agree:

SRHibs
30-07-2010, 01:50 PM
We were awful!

We didn't have a meaningful shot on goal. The passing was flat, uninspired and ultimately the slack passing in our own half is what caused our demise. It was honestly an embarrassing performance, against a side that we are bigger than, and should be getting a result against.

Better finishing for their gilt-edged chances and we could have conceded 4-5.
The formation was idiotic; Yogi shouldn't have been 'experimenting' and trying to act smart in potentially our most important game of the year.

We all KNOW that our defence is the weakest area in our team. So why setup to invite pressure when it's clearly obvious it's an incredibly risky strategy? It's a cliche, but attack is definitely the best form of defence in our case. Leaving Stokes and Riordan on the bench - our 2 most vital/dangerous players - has to be one of the strangest management decisions I've seen by Yogi yet. He's absolutely clueless.

Liberal Hibby
30-07-2010, 01:59 PM
We didn't have a meaningful shot on goal.

Oh dear...

SRHibs
30-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Oh dear...
Explain?

We had 2 shots from miles out that were hopeful to say the least.
The keeper made a complete meal of the second one, when it was a pretty basic save...

Liberal Hibby
30-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Explain?

We had 2 shots from miles out that were hopeful to say the least.
The keeper made a complete meal of the second one, when it was a pretty basic save...

So a bit like their first two goals then?

Big Frank
30-07-2010, 02:09 PM
If there are genuine Hibbys out there who didn't think we were "that bad" last night, I despair.

We were rank, yes its much to do with fitness etc, but you can polish a jobby all you want, its still a jobby.

SRHibs
30-07-2010, 02:10 PM
So a bit like their first two goals then?

But they had another 4-5 brilliant chances? Our only 2 'chances' were speculative efforts from 30 yards.

Hibs On Tour
30-07-2010, 02:20 PM
All this 'we were awful' stuff is for me well wide of the mark. We weren't awful. We weren't as sharp and aren't yet as fit as a club already into their competitive season. As they were at home, its reasonable to assume that we'd have to endure at least a bit of pressure and that they would have a few chances come their way. As such, I think it was reasonable for Yogi to set us up more defensively minded to start the game, as we always had the option to bring on DR/AS later in the game. Spoony on the left side was a bit strange I'll give you though.

First half - bar an untimely slip and a top-drawer finish, neither of which you can legislate for - went pretty much to plan. From memory they got a clear sight of goal once otherwise and Stack made a good save. We then started the second half quite brightly but another slip/foul this time from Spoony and an even better finish and we're two-nil down. When DR/AS came on we got at them more and could have got one ourselves [hard to tell on the stream whether it was a keeper save or hit the post]. As we were pushing on however we opened up a little at the back and they got another, with Stack making another two good saves.

Yes, they were sharper - understandably. Yes, their fitness was further on than ours - again understandably. Yes, we were on the back foot more than the front foot - again understandably, we were away against a decent team from a country that qualified for the WC finals [unlike us]. But we were a long way from being awful in my book and there were a lot of positives.

We DO have a mountain to climb at ER. Yes, I think we'll score but so might they. All guns blazing and early goal for us and tie is right back open after all. Just a shame the new East won't be ready in time...

18Craig75
30-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Tactics were spot on. 3 mistakes cost us. I'm guessing some people already had the 'yogi, nish, rankin, stack, board - GTF post's typed up before the game. If we had played with Deeks and Stokes up front and got beaten 3-0, Yogi would have been hounded for being too cavalier!

patlowe
30-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Tactics were spot on. 3 mistakes cost us. I'm guessing some people already had the 'yogi, nish, rankin, stack, board - GTF post's typed up before the game. If we had played with Deeks and Stokes up front and got beaten 3-0, Yogi would have been hounded for being too cavalier!

I do get your point but although there's every chance we would have conceded 3 with them on the park, I don't think it should be considered cavalier to play a free-scoring centre forward and left winger. If anything, the selection just highlighted that we do not have any significant goal scoring threat beyond those two. Pretty worrying.

Hibercelona
30-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Are you kiding? :crazy:

Were we even playing last night?

The team disgraced everybody who made the effort to get to the game.

Sir David Gray
30-07-2010, 03:28 PM

GGTTH

As things stand right now, we need three goals next week just to take the match into extra time, if they score next week, we'll need FIVE goals to progress.

If they score at Easter Road, unless we're winning 4-0 at the time, I think we can forget it.

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Ridiculous comment. In the end we were well beaten, but the team was miles away from disgraceful.

Budgey
30-07-2010, 03:34 PM

The tactics were anything but spot on. We play Deek at left midfield every week he scored 18 goals last season from there and he has scored in every pre season game. But Yogi decideds to play Spoony there instead. there is no logic in that!!

We go to Ibrox and Celtic park 2 times a season and he doesnt play nish up front on his own and leave stokes and Deek on the bench. There is no difference!

At the end of the day Hibs tactics where to keep the ball and if we get a half to put it away. I know id rather have the ball falling at deek or stokes feet 25 yards out than Nish's
His tactics were wrong

Hibercelona
30-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Ridiculous comment. In the end we were well beaten, but the team was miles away from disgraceful.

The team was an utter disgrace last night and theres no excuses for it.

They should have been prepared physically and mentally, but they weren't.

I feel rotten for every single fan who made the effort.

Hibercelona
30-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Spot on?

He played Nish up front on his own. How on earth was that spot on?

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 03:44 PM
The tactics were anything but spot on. We play Deek at left midfield every week he scored 18 goals last season from there and he has scored in every pre season game. But Yogi decideds to play Spoony there instead. there is no logic in that!!

We go to Ibrox and Celtic park 2 times a season and he doesnt play nish up front on his own and leave stokes and Deek on the bench. There is no difference!

At the end of the day Hibs tactics where to keep the ball and if we get a half to put it away. I know id rather have the ball falling at deek or stokes feet 25 yards out than Nish's
His tactics were wrong

Whilst I agree that playing Spoony out of position was baffling and didn't work, I don't believe that he got anything else badly wrong, and I certainly don't agree that you can compare last night's game to a fixture against the OF.

We found out that we were playing Maribor a matter of days before we were due to play them, meaning that Yogi was basing his tactics on the 2 performances that Brian Rice managed to watch - and in one of them they played a completely different team to the game before. Not only could Yogi watch Celtic and Rangers 40 times a season if he wanted, we often set up fairly attack-minded away to the OF because we know that they will come at us, and potentially leave space to get at them. That was not at all Maribor's game last night, they were happy to let us have the ball and wait for us to surrender possesion. They were clinical, but they certainly didn't come at us like the OF do in their home games.

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 03:46 PM
The team was an utter disgrace last night and theres no excuses for it.

They should have been prepared physically and mentally, but they weren't.

I feel rotten for every single fan who made the effort.

Absolute nonsense :bitchy:

I thought our performance last night was comparable to our 3-0 defeat at Ibrox last season (where ironically a McBride slip led to their 3rd goal as well) - don't recall anyone thinking that we were a disgrace that day, and Maribor are of comparable standard to the OF.

Hibs On Tour
30-07-2010, 04:42 PM
As things stand right now, we need three goals next week just to take the match into extra time, if they score next week, we'll need FIVE goals to progress.

If they score at Easter Road, unless we're winning 4-0 at the time, I think we can forget it.

Think I could have worded my point a little better. The point I was trying to make was that while I don't think its impossible for us to turn it around [and of course we should go hell for leather for it] I don't think that's the likely outcome. I basically don't particularly fancy us scoring three times without reply against them at ER. I don't see much difference in going out with them having scored 3 or having scored 4 was what I was trying to say and I'd rather lose a goal by us coming forward and having a go ourselves than perhaps being more cautious ourselves when we're already three down.

I *wasn't* suggesting that if they score another that the tie is realistically still all there to play for...

Hibs On Tour
30-07-2010, 04:49 PM

And that is why you should never have these discussions on an empty head. :greengrin

Saying the team disgraced everybody is just a complete load of pish and bears no relation to the game that was played. All of this arrogant 'we should be putting teams like this away' pish ignores that the quality of their football [as a country] has been going up while ours has been going down - they qualified for the WC, didn't disgrace themselves there and I understand have 4 internationals in the Maribor team.

Because we didn't steamroller over a team from a country most of us know **** all about our team *must* have been a disgrace? Get over yerselves FFS. Do you think that Maribor didn't have to bring Google up when they drew Hibs? Are we 'all that'? Nope - we're not and some on here need to get a reality check quicksmart.

We were *never* going to be at the same levels of sharpness or fitness as them, because their competitive season has already started and they've already played a double-header in the Europa League plus a couple of league games. They're at home so they're obviously going to be putting us under some pressure. NONE of that is a surprise nor does it equate to any disgrace.

Scoreline didn't help us and yes they had some clear-cut chances while we didn't but in terms of general play there wasn't three goals in that game last night.

down-the-slope
30-07-2010, 05:10 PM

GGTTH

:agree::top marks saved me typing most of that....2 individual errors... 1 reffereing error not awarding free kick gave them the opportunities...2 brilliant and similar finishes

Had Liams shot just on half not been so well saved. it would have looked perfect and set up a different second half.

We will beat them next week - whether we can keep a clean sheet is another story

RMQ1967
30-07-2010, 05:22 PM

GGTTH

Spot on with all of this - we were pretty decent & looked far better than I expected.

Just a pity it was out 1st competitive game & the mistakes by the young boys or we'd be in pretty good shape.

I've come to the conclusion that many of our fellow supporters really don't understand how the game is meant to be played & can't tell the difference between a good & bad performance.

Pete
30-07-2010, 09:58 PM

His tactics were wrong

The difference is that we don't play Celtic in two-legged European ties.

He tried the pragmatic approach. No doubt if we had went 4-4-2 at the start he would have been criticised for being too offensive. Remember Dnipro when we just went for it?

Let's be honest he's damned either way. They looked sharper than us and had more match fitness so I don't think it would have made a difference.

It's as if some people are actually glad we've been defeated. Never happy unless they are moaning.